Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it possible to be sneaky and not die a lot?

to be honest I'm not much of an aggressive person and don't really enjoy killing people

but i enjoy the thrill of survival and danger and that kind of atmosphere

I want to be a "sneaky" type of crafter... where i farm materials and enjoy the stealthy trip back to bank

is this type of playstyle possible or is the world too open?

I guess something like max movement speed and lots of dodge? i dont really know the stats

stealth?

idunno

Comments

• DarkfallFanaticDarkfallFanatic Member Posts: 96
    Originally posted by shadowmonke

to be honest I'm not much of an aggressive person and don't really enjoy killing people

I want to be a "sneaky" type of crafter... where i farm materials and enjoy the stealthy trip back to bank

I guess something like max movement speed and lots of dodge? i dont really know the stats

stealth?

idunno

Of course it's possible. Its a sandbox. 

That's pretty much how I played the first one. Just roll a class with high stam and stay concealed behind cover at all times. this is much easier to do on the jungle island where its lush as shit and you can pretty much hide in every bush. I would suggest you emigrate there (Yssam) ASAP.

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666

You can take the brawler class and use his mobility skills to escape. His ultimate makes you move fast for so many sec and he also has an other charge skill. He may use double jump to reach places that other class might not.

If you take the bearshark as a warrior, you can stand on a cliff or an higher ground and use stomp to make your enemy fly away from you. Than turn around and use stampede to charge as far as you can.

As a mage, i'm not sure yet what they use to escape. I know air mage as a blind spell. Fire has many knock up that you may use to keep only one single target at bay for a couple sec.

Everyone can jump off cliff, but if you dont want to die, you must use soften skyfall(Its nott he name, but i wont search it) Its a long cast, but its a must.

Now, the hardest part. If you farm and you get jumped, you might not get a chance to escape. So you need ultra high percesption. I suggest buying a gaming headset. Anything, but your speakers. Darkfall + speakers = 0 percerption. You want to hear foot step and with my speakers, i can hardly hear these sound effect.

Finally, make sure you stat up to fulll after 1 kill just in case you get jumped.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

• Burning25Burning25 Member Posts: 24

stealth?

idunno

Yes it is possible.  That is how I started the game, I would sneak everywhere.

Sound is extremely important in this game though and footsteps have sound that can travel far so you can crawl and move around rocks and bushes etc so people can't see you.

One of my first memories in Darkfall is watching two people much higher than me battling and I was just sitting on a rock hiding and they had no idea I was there, because there is no radar and I was being quiet.  The game is a thrill.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

stealth?

idunno

if you want someone to group up with send me a pm on monday or tuesday.  we can watch eachothers backs.  i will be looking for a group to run with cause i think solo play will be very difficult when the population is high and consolidated at the beginning.

• KruulKruul Member UncommonPosts: 482
    TBH, if someone is using a hack you will be found.
  • shadowmonkeshadowmonke Member Posts: 48
    Originally posted by muffins89

stealth?

idunno

if you want someone to group up with send me a pm on monday or tuesday.  we can watch eachothers backs.  i will be looking for a group to run with cause i think solo play will be very difficult when the population is high and consolidated at the beginning.

my reserved name is Pink Twink

feel free to add me if you want~

I'll be making a primalist as soon as they're available but I'll probably start as an archer or mage for now

• HotjazzHotjazz Member UncommonPosts: 742

That`s how you play when you PVE alone. It gets scary when your loot starts to pile up, and you might end up slightly paranoid.

1. Find a clan

2. Serious, find a clan

3. All the things you can do alone, can be done while you are in a clan.

Pick one

When you have been killed a few times, you will enjoy the time you get a revenge. Also pvp is not about being aggressive. Most of us play for the fun of pvp, so you are doing us a favour by attacking us. If none attacked us, the game would be just as boring as the rest of the games out there.

• MelkrowMelkrow Member Posts: 278
    Originally posted by muffins89

stealth?

idunno

Speaking of this... I want to share a story with you that made me fall in love Darkfall.

Back when the game first launched on EU server, I got in on like day 3.  The newbie spawns were constantly zerged and it was really hard to make gold.  I was at some Kobold spawn with bunch of other people, everybody stealing loot from everybody else.  I got too cocky and I ended up dying to mobs.  Now, the pactice at that time was that you simply sit there, wait for the dead person to bleed out and then loot his corpse.  If you gank him you take alignment hit, and you turn grey, so everybody else around gangs up on you instantly.

Well as I'm lying there on the ground waiting to bleed out, this guy walks up to me and revives me!  I say my thanks and then he offers me to go with him and farm another, harder, spawn of Trolls.  So we team up, he invites me to his party and we go on our way killing Trolls. There was a lot less people there and we kept farming for good hour. I had so much gold (comperatively speaking when you consider what I was making farming goblin/kobold spawns) that I felt like the richest person in Again (...it was only like 500 gold lol.. but back then that was a lot). 

Anyway, after about an hour of farming with this guy, as I got low on HP and sat down to regen my health (this was common practice back then, nobody had heals) this guy who I was farming with, starts hitting me in the back, kills me in like 5 seconds and then ganks me.  And because he was in party with me, he didn't take alignement hit and he didn't turn grey, it was a pure win for him.

As I spawned at the bind stone, I wasn't mad... I was just shocked.  I sent him a message "well played....", and then I had every intent to log off/rage quit.  He sends me a message back, saying "sorry, it was too easy, I couldn't resist".  We talked some more, and some more, and 20 minutes later, he came back to the town where I was, he gave me A SHIT TON of stuff, far more than he got from me when he ganked me.  We became really good friends after that and went on regular farming runs and pvp trips, but he stayed on EU server and I went to NA server.

That experience made me fall in love with Darkfall.

------------------------------------------------------

To answer your question OP.  Yes, you can be really sneaky and avoid a lot of fights, and even if you get into a fight that you didn't want to get into, you can be a master escape artist, it's a combat plystale on it's own.  Some people in the first game were SOOOOOOOOOO good at escaping that you never wanted to fight them, as soon as they start losing, they book it and you can't catch up, it was frustrating.  I always sucked at escaping and chasing.

Playing: Darkfall Unholy Wars
    Played: Darkfall, EVE, AoC, Ryzom, Ragnarok Online, GW2, PS2, Secret World, WOW, City Of Heroes/Villains, Champion Online.
  • scotty899scotty899 Member Posts: 166

wow this thread has made me want to play the game. the vids didnt look to appealing. but all the sneakyness and

clan attacks. just made me realise how awesome this game could be. i play alot of woe in ragnarok so i shouldnt

complain about graphics :P. but if ppl are enjoying beating each others heads or sneaking around till they are over geared and 

kill everyone. im in!

il get it off steam 

• ZushakonZushakon Member UncommonPosts: 148
    Originally posted by scotty899

wow this thread has made me want to play the game. the vids didnt look to appealing. but all the sneakyness and

clan attacks. just made me realise how awesome this game could be. i play alot of woe in ragnarok so i shouldnt

complain about graphics :P. but if ppl are enjoying beating each others heads or sneaking around till they are over geared and 

kill everyone. im in!

il get it off steam 

The videos don't really do this game justice IMO... and it's so different from all other games that you don't really know just how awesome it can be when you get into it. Pity DF1 was completely ruined by the grind, exploiting, balance, etc... Thankfully DF: UW seems to be the game that DF should have been.

Darkfall Unholy Wars:
    Zushakon Odi

Originally posted by Hotjazz

That`s how you play when you PVE alone. It gets scary when your loot starts to pile up, and you might end up slightly paranoid.

1. Find a clan

2. Serious, find a clan

3. All the things you can do alone, can be done while you are in a clan.

Pick one

When you have been killed a few times, you will enjoy the time you get a revenge. Also pvp is not about being aggressive. Most of us play for the fun of pvp, so you are doing us a favour by attacking us. If none attacked us, the game would be just as boring as the rest of the games out there.

to be honest i really want to be a solo player, at least until i get very high skill levels

• MelkrowMelkrow Member Posts: 278

Solo is viable, especially if you want to avoid fights, be sneaky sneaky.  It will make you a better player actually, because you will be forced to learn, you will learn through experience.  Now that is of course if you're out and about, and dare yourself and challenge yourself to get into situations where you have poor odds of surival.  If you distance yourself too far from the danger, not only will your rob yourself ot the incredible experience of andrenaline rush, but you will not progress your "player" skills at all, and will forever remain at the bottom of the food chain. 

Just remember, Darkfall is built around the fact that you will lose stuff.  Therefore, it's NOT hard to replace stuff, do not sweat it, it's not like other games where you go on raids for months to get your set.  You go out and farm for 3 hours, you're good for the next 3 days with gear and whatnot.  Easy comes, easy goes, don't be afraid to lose stuff.

All that said tho, a good clan can make the game 10x more fun and rewarding experience.

Playing: Darkfall Unholy Wars
    Played: Darkfall, EVE, AoC, Ryzom, Ragnarok Online, GW2, PS2, Secret World, WOW, City Of Heroes/Villains, Champion Online.
  • GadzyGadzy Member Posts: 143
    You won't really be able to farm without getting noticed. You can hide when ganksquads come by and such, which is a thrill, but not while farming. 3d sounds makes it easy to pinpoint the direction of other players if they're fighting/mining or riding mounts. Sounds is a large part of the game, really, because it's the first way to tell whether people are nearby or not. The one making the most noise is the one doing the pve.
  • scotty899scotty899 Member Posts: 166
    anyone from australia play DF1 and can comment on how the latency was?
  • AzmoodeusAzmoodeus Member UncommonPosts: 2

stealth?

idunno

There's no stealth abilities like in WoW. 

The game is a fps game so dodging will be depending on your movement and the opponents aim.

And to answer your question, yes you can be "sneaky" type of crafter.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

It is very, very possible.

Get away from the starter areas and find a nice location off the beaten track you like. If it has a nice wilderness bank in the area, the more the better. But don't hang around it all the time as someone else probably is as well.

Avoid using roads and make use of the terrain as you move around, utilizing high ground but not silhouetting yourself against the sky. Using cover and constantly keeping an eye out for other players, using river flow to speed up your travels and for cover.

Have a good understanding of your area and try to alter your route as often as possible.

Not firing spells off left right and centre also helps.

When you enter a village/city, don't just blunder in the main gate, always look at potential hidden routes and cover. Even in the main towns I never just stood at the bank for a long time, use it, then get somewhere out of the way.

Even just mooching about on foot, if you are careful you can avoid "teh beat down" the vast majority of the time.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• RaapnaapRaapnaap Member UncommonPosts: 455

If you want to sneak around, you will need a surround sound gaming headset in order to listen for people's movements (footsteps, abilities, ect.), which is what you needed in the original game for the best experience.

There is no stealth to help you with this, only terrain and light can help you hide. One important fact to take note of is, there are no floating names in Darkfall. Players will not see your name or 'lock on' to you (no tab targetting) from miles away. They will only see your name if they are in range (In the original game this was about 50 meters, which could be extended a bit with skills. Note: you could see players from about ~300 meters, but they wouldn't be tag-able until much closer), and if they mouse-over target you, and to do this, they have to know where you are. If you're subtle and understand how sound is an important factor in the game, you could stay well hidden.

I escaped plenty of 'zergs' back in the day by simply sitting in a corner and not making a sound. They would sometimes pass by me, only a few meters away, and not spot me.

• contestcontest Member Posts: 7

less risks = less rewards

u can stay all the time in safe zone too

but in outlaw zone u'll never be safe :)

that's why we play DF to no be safe, carebears are well come to darkfall

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by raapnaap

If you want to sneak around, you will need a surround sound gaming headset in order to listen for people's movements (footsteps, abilities, ect.), which is what you needed in the original game for the best experience.

There is no stealth to help you with this, only terrain and light can help you hide. One important fact to take note of is, there are no floating names in Darkfall. Players will not see your name or 'lock on' to you (no tab targetting) from miles away. They will only see your name if they are in range (In the original game this was about 50 meters, which could be extended a bit with skills. Note: you could see players from about ~300 meters, but they wouldn't be tag-able until much closer), and if they mouse-over target you, and to do this, they have to know where you are. If you're subtle and understand how sound is an important factor in the game, you could stay well hidden.

I escaped plenty of 'zergs' back in the day by simply sitting in a corner and not making a sound. They would sometimes pass by me, only a few meters away, and not spot me.

sounds like my playstyle in DayZ.

im still going to wait a good coupla months before i even consider this game. Aventurine has some bad karma to counter in this release and i hope they do so.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• Dark_HUmarDark_HUmar Member UncommonPosts: 200
    The world is huge so there are ways to be sneaky, for example in DarkFall 1.0 you where able to wear armor that did not shine in the sun/moon so it was harder for people to see you, if I remember right!
  • SysFailSysFail Member Posts: 375

stealth?

idunno

Df sounds right up your street to be honest.

What you've described is how most Darkfallers play anyway. I can remember shitting my pants after finding a very expensive deed for housing, but due to the area i was in, i was afraid to recall(the sound is a beacon for any nearby) so i had to sneak by a few spots that i knew were high traffic area's... I made it, but damn my heart was thumping like a lottery millionare winner and i felt like one once i reached the bank!

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Originally posted by DarkfallFanatic

stealth?

idunno

That's pretty much how I played the first one. Just roll a class with high stam and stay concealed behind cover at all times. this is much easier to do on the jungle island where its lush as shit and you can pretty much hide in every bush. I would suggest you emigrate there (Yssam) ASAP.

Wouldn't it kinda defeat the purpose if the person looking for you turns off all foliage? Or turn down their only graphic density for bushes? I can see it now:

PK1: Hey you see that dude over there ducking behind nothing?

PK2: What dude I see nothing but bushes.

PK1: Turn down the foliage and you'll see what I'm talking about.

PK2 (after lowering graphics a bit): Ahhh yeah I see him now. Who's he think he's foolin?

PK1: Obviously himself . Like kiddies who cover their eyes and think they're hidden.

PK2: LOL yeah good one...now let's go have some real fun with him.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• SysFailSysFail Member Posts: 375
    Originally posted by Ramonski7

stealth?

idunno

Wouldn't it kinda defeat the purpose if the person looking for you turns off all foliage? Or turn down their only graphic density for bushes? I can see it now:

PK2 (after lowering graphics a bit): Ahhh yeah I see him now. Who's he think he's foolin?

PK1: Obviously himself . Like kiddies who cover their eyes and think they're hidden.

You've yet to play DF i see, because everything you've just said is a complete fallacy.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Originally posted by SysFail

stealth?

idunno

You've yet to play DF i see, because everything you've just said is a complete fallacy.

Nope sure haven't. Not ashamed to admit it either. Either way I got the answer I needed from you, even if it was delivered in the same foolish and ignorant way I asked my question.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

Originally posted by SysFail

stealth?

idunno

Nope sure haven't. Not ashamed to admit it either. Either way I got the answer I needed from you, even if it was delivered in the same foolish and ignorant way I asked my question.

i can't even