Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stories of the death of Guild Wars 2

Comments

• MahavishnuMahavishnu Member Posts: 336

Hm,

some people like GW2: http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/6954/page/1

Anyway, I like the fact, that TSW is still looking good in many of these rankings.

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by jpnz
    Originally posted by Whitebeards
    Players mostly gouge the population on basis of players they seen in respective zones. So no matter how many box GW2 sels if the zones are empty that doesn't make a difference to the players although good sales is something ANet will appreciate.

The perception that the 'world in the 20-70 is empty' on the lowest populated servers was actually accepted as 'Fact' by ANet Dev in a recent Reddit Q&A session.

Whether a fan likes this 'fact' or not is irrevelent now.

Just to make things clear (this is what I added).

As I said, Gandara server here, Europe, I level several alts ranging from 10 to 30+ right now, and on none of them have I problems to get people to do events.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778

Hah!! i am on the server that is always full. I rolled a thief and went through 3 zones and came across total of 4 players 7 to 9 pm EU  time. Tried asking in chat if anyone interested in events and no takers. So nope it is not limited to low populted servers only.

That is what players have been saying that server status means nothing when zones are empty. Which OP somehow translated to 'GW2 isn't dying because it is selling lots of bixes.'

• DancingQueenDancingQueen Member Posts: 201
    Originally posted by hikaru77
    Originally posted by Volkon

... have been greatly exaggerated. 

I think we may have our explanation as to why zones are still showing up as Very High to Full.

No, my server is still FULL but in-game is a ghost town, so no, we dont have an explanation yet. Lot of people brought the game to try it since is B2P, then quit a few weeks or days later. Also i was in a guild of more than 500 players, now we have less than 5 active players. GW2 wont die at all, is b2p, but the population drop of active players was huge and even more faster than D3 at the point that by the end of the year we have probably more active players playing swtor than gw2. 

I played GW1 for close to four months and GW2 isn't even worth paying the box price imho.

But if the game were free to download and still free to play then I might give it a try. ;)

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Where have I seen this thread before?

*looks at calendar*

Hmm, but it's only been a little over 3 months...oh dear. Back into my cave I go. 6 months here we come!

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

I'm a Guild Wars 2 fan, for sure.  This article really seems very fishy. Here's why:

Here is the list of other articles "Lee Hall" the author of the article has produced.  Of course, nothing even comes up under his contributions.

The 'sales chart' source doesn't look anything like the list shown in the article. A completely different list of games top the sales chart on the website the day after the article was published.  If the list fluctuates that drastically, how significant can #1 be anyway? Answer - it isn't significant at all.  Where is the article proclaiming that "Viking: Battle for Asgard" is #1?

It really, really looks like this was created just to get their website some hits in google searches because I can't find a single fact to back this up at all.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

Originally posted by DancingQueen

I played GW1 for close to four months and GW2 isn't even worth paying the box price imho.

But if the game were free to download and still free to play then I might give it a try. ;)

So you never played GW2, yet you say it's not worth the box price...

We took note of your trustworthy appraisal of this game, and you can be sure we'll take it into account for our future purchases.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• DancingQueenDancingQueen Member Posts: 201
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan
    Originally posted by DancingQueen

So you never played GW2, yet you say it's not worth the box price...

We took note of your trustworthy appraisal of this game, and you can be sure we'll take it into account for our future purchases.

I couldn't ask for more.

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    These top seller lists say nothing at all since most sales are done with steam or the game's website. The only reliable data we have is this: http://beta.xfire.com/games/gw2 (don't forget that it was at 93k hours a week after launch). The player retention seems to be lower than SWTOR's and the future seems bleak. I wouldn't be surprized if we see server merges or even layoffs soon.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995
    Originally posted by boxsnd
    These top seller lists say nothing at all since most sales are done with steam or the game's website. The only reliable data we have is this: http://beta.xfire.com/games/gw2 (don't forget that it was at 93k hours a week after launch). The player retention seems to be lower than SWTOR's and the future seems bleak. I wouldn't be surprized if we see server merges or even layoffs soon.

Interesting that those numbers didn't go up yesterday.  I expected another spike with the release of the Christmas content.  I would at least expect this weekend to have significantly more hours played than the few preceding weekends.

• boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    Originally posted by killion81
    Originally posted by boxsnd

Interesting that those numbers didn't go up yesterday.  I expected another spike with the release of the Christmas content.  I would at least expect this weekend to have significantly more hours played than the few preceding weekends.

It will spike as it spiked in the last event. xfire doesn't update in real-time.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by jpnz

The perception that the 'world in the 20-70 is empty' on the lowest populated servers was actually accepted as 'Fact' by ANet Dev in a recent Reddit Q&A session.

Whether a fan likes this 'fact' or not is irrevelent now.

Just to make things clear (this is what I added).

As I said, Gandara server here, Europe, I level several alts ranging from 10 to 30+ right now, and on none of them have I problems to get people to do events.

The 'yellow' text is factually false.

The ANet dev didn't specify whether it is the 'lowest pop servers' or not.

Your personal experience is irrevelent when the actual company dev says 'yeah, we'll have to figure something out'.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Originally posted by hikaru77

... have been greatly exaggerated. 

I think we may have our explanation as to why zones are still showing up as Very High to Full.

No, my server is still FULL but in-game is a ghost town, so no, we dont have an explanation yet. Lot of people brought the game to try it since is B2P, then quit a few weeks or days later. Also i was in a guild of more than 500 players, now we have less than 5 active players. GW2 wont die at all, is b2p, but the population drop of active players was huge and even more faster than D3 at the point that by the end of the year we have probably more active players playing swtor than gw2. 

Your server may be a ghost town in the areas you are in, but that doesn't mean a lot of people aren't in other areas.

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by DMKano

It's the only MMO in the PC Best Sellers top 10 on Amazon.  However, GW2 is a less popular Amazon purchase than Microsoft Xbox 360 Controller for Windows (a gamepad for PCs), PS3 Ear Force P11 Amplified Stereo Gaming Headset (a headset for Playstation 3), Ear Force X12 Gaming Headset and Amplified Stereo Sound (a headset for xbox 360) and the only other PC game, StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm.

Based purely upon the top 5 PC Best Sellers and the fact that 3 of 5 are peripherals, I feel like Amazon is not the first place most people go for thier PC game purchases.  I could be wrong, as I do not have specific stats on any of this, but it is the feeling I get.

Learn to sort...

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Video-Games-PC-compatible/zgbs/videogames/4924894011/ref=zg_bs_nav_vg_2_229575

So TSW is # 1 - last time I checked that one is a mmo. 

GW2 is #7, again not top 5 like stated.

Syndicate at #4!!

My soul has just been destroyed.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

It's the only MMO in the PC Best Sellers top 10 on Amazon.  However, GW2 is a less popular Amazon purchase than Microsoft Xbox 360 Controller for Windows (a gamepad for PCs), PS3 Ear Force P11 Amplified Stereo Gaming Headset (a headset for Playstation 3), Ear Force X12 Gaming Headset and Amplified Stereo Sound (a headset for xbox 360) and the only other PC game, StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm.

Based purely upon the top 5 PC Best Sellers and the fact that 3 of 5 are peripherals, I feel like Amazon is not the first place most people go for thier PC game purchases.  I could be wrong, as I do not have specific stats on any of this, but it is the feeling I get.

Learn to sort...

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Video-Games-PC-compatible/zgbs/videogames/4924894011/ref=zg_bs_nav_vg_2_229575

Best selling charts aren't static.

TSW is also selling for 1/3 of the price@50% discount.

I bought a copy for my GF.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Lol, like ravenous sharks, hoping that another MMO fails.  Very Very funny.  New MMO.. 'FAIL!'  really wish there were threads like 'Hey, GW2 (or any game) is doing pretty good, not my cup of tea, but GL'

I self identify as a monkey.

Learn to sort...

Yep, TSW download just passed in the Top 10 the last couple of days after it moved to B2P. Not denying that. GW2 is still in the top 10, and was in the TOP 5 3 days ago too. And that is without any change of subcription model.

Let's do an amusing bet, and see how long TSW stays in the top 10...  let's see if it can stay there 12+ weeks like GW2.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    The game has a ton of bots,gold sellers and gem sellers. What do you expect ?
    Originally posted by Normandy7
    The game has a ton of bots,gold sellers and gem sellers. What do you expect ?

You can't sell gems... there's no way to trade gems with another player.

Try to play the game before bashing it next time, you may eventually find valid arguments.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Learn to sort...

You know why TSW is #1 finally right?  And how long GW2 has been ahead of it pretty much everywhere?

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Originally posted by Maephisto
    Christmas, combined with the january/february content updates should make for a good time for GW2.  Lets hope WvW gets some attention.  I really want badges to go directly to my inventory....lol.

Some initial (and interesting) WvW changes are coming with this release. Disconnects will now count as insta-kills (buh bye Alt-F4 people), change to gate repair mechanics, and this:

Finally, events will be added. According to their designer, Matt Witter, “Break Out Events are special WvW events that will happen when a team has lost control of all defensive structures, not counting supply camps. An NPC commander will appear in the team’s start area and an event will start that prompts players to gather around.”

“Once enough players are in the commander’s presence he will summon his trusty dolyak to give all allies in the area full supply. He will then lead the charge to the nearby objective and give players protection and assist with building siege to assault the objective with.”

“Those benefits, along with a defensive boon that he applies to all nearby allies, makes the attacking players a force to be reckoned with. Defenders will have their work cut out for them, as once the gate or wall piece is destroyed the commander will move to the tower lord inside and attack anyone in his path.”

I participated in such a event at sunday and it was really fun.

We had a charr commander that waited till 10 people (minimum amount) were around him.

The he started a attack from our camp towards the first tower.

He had a dolyak spawned that automatically refilled our resources when we had used ours up to build the arm, catapult and ballista the commander had set up (he also set 2 arrow carts and a catapult at the side of the tower for defence against incomings).

The dolyak were attacking the gate with us together till we broke in.

After that the commander rushed to the lord we us and we took the tower. :)

He goes back to the base after that and waits for at least 10 players to join him again before he starts another attack to another tower or depot.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    My server is doing great population wise. Most people started saying their server lost a lot of people when Fractals was released and have no idea just how many people are spending all their time doing JUST THAT DUNGEON, those complaints were mostly silenced with the last 2 monthly events when everyone stopped doing Fractals and came out to do the special events. Right now there are massive amounts  of people doing Wintersday events in Lions Arch and Black Citadel Toymaker instance.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

Well, it's dead to me. Which is all that matters to me. Population size doesn't matter much to me if the game itself fails to impress unfortunately.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    "m.pcgamer.com" doesn't seem like the most reliable source of information. Poorly built webpage with a pcgamer logo tacked on.

imageimage
  • KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by JoeyMMO
    "m.pcgamer.com" doesn't seem like the most reliable source of information. Poorly built webpage with a pcgamer logo tacked on.

That's the mobile client pcgamer.com site....