Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

[Review] Rift: Storm Legion is a Winner

24

Comments

  • strangiato2112strangiato2112 Richmond, VAPosts: 1,538Member Common

    8.4 is about right.   Pretty damn good, a little better than MoP (which was also strong).

    It is one of the best expansions since EQ2's EoF.

  • GoldenArrowGoldenArrow TurkuPosts: 1,187Member

    Was fun until I got to the "let's wait for raid days to have fun" -part.

    Now I'm just running around doing dailies and waiting for raiding days.

  • asmkm22asmkm22 Anchorage, AKPosts: 1,788Member
    Originally posted by DMKano

    It is the best expansion of 2012 easily, IMO it might be one of the best expansions for any game ever - if you consider how bland and meh rift was at release, now look at Storm Legion - I honestly had a feeling of "this can't be the same game" - it is FAR improved in almost all aspects.

    Storm Legion would go down in history as one of the most epic expansions period, the Trion team should be awarded for the work they've done here, as since Kunark (1st eq1 expansion), what else has even come close?

    Here's a question:  Does the expansion improve anything in the core game, or is it only for the new content?  I always felt Rift was incredibly bland and generic, in terms of lore and gameplay, but haven't seen anything since the expansion hit that leads me to believe that's changed.

    You make me like charity

  • BurntvetBurntvet Baltimore, MDPosts: 2,937Member Uncommon

    When was the last time MMORPG.com rated the game of a paid advertiser anything but a "Winner"?

    I am seriously asking, because to my recollection, it has never happened.

    (No reflection on Rift in particular.)

     

     

  • strangiato2112strangiato2112 Richmond, VAPosts: 1,538Member Common



    Originally posted by asmkm22




    Originally posted by DMKano

    It is the best expansion of 2012 easily, IMO it might be one of the best expansions for any game ever - if you consider how bland and meh rift was at release, now look at Storm Legion - I honestly had a feeling of "this can't be the same game" - it is FAR improved in almost all aspects.





    Storm Legion would go down in history as one of the most epic expansions period, the Trion team should be awarded for the work they've done here, as since Kunark (1st eq1 expansion), what else has even come close?

    Here's a question:  Does the expansion improve anything in the core game, or is it only for the new content?  I always felt Rift was incredibly bland and generic, in terms of lore and gameplay, but haven't seen anything since the expansion hit that leads me to believe that's changed.






     

    zone design has improved, they soread things out a little bit so the zones feel much more natural.

    New souls are much less generic for the most part.

    The overall blandness is still there mostly though, and if bothered you before it will likely still bother you (thought you should check out the free trial this weekend to see for yourself, YMMV).    It is a stronger game than it used to be overall.  



     

  • RockardRockard AthensPosts: 76Member



    Originally posted by mCalvert

    Innovation is way overrated especially in the time of GW2. Rifts do not spawn randomly, they spawn at predetermined points, and follow a formula. They have little to do with the world they spawn in. Combat is the same old stand in place and mash buttons, dps, heal or tank.





    I think its obvious that GW2 raised the bar. And Rift is now below it.

    GW2 is sooo inovative.

    it's events are not cyclical.

    And they never respawn at the same place.

    It is really dificult to tell where and when a GW2 event will take place.

    Randomness at all it's glory.

    In GW2 you never do the same event twice.

    It is always something new.

    /sarcasm off

    I'm sorry but I'm really fed up with all the GW2 inovation crap.

    And the best take on a dynamic world I've seen so far is in Rift.

    Because you see,Rifts dynamic world is backed up by it's lore.

    It's rifts are justified to recycle again and again.

    But in GW2 when you do the same event for the 50th time only to have it respawn in a few minutes,breaking every and any sence of immersion and dynamism,what do you tell yourself??

    That this is inovation???





     

     



     

  • CryptorCryptor Coquitlam, BCPosts: 478Member Uncommon

    image

     

    As with all mmorpgs, RIft is not going to apeal to everyone, but I have to say I simply love it now after this expansion.  The ammount of content and polish this game received by now is pretty insane.  The new content received a notieable graphical upgrade, I am really having a blast there.  While everyone else seems to be playing GW2 I dropped GW2 after two weeks to play Rift instead and I could not have been happier with that decision.

     

    image

     

    Rift is free to play up to lvl 20 + all old accounts are re-activated Dec 14-18 so you can play for free.

     

    image

  • strangiato2112strangiato2112 Richmond, VAPosts: 1,538Member Common

    Originally posted by DMKano

    the Trion team should be awarded for the work they've done here


     

    Trion has a funny way of rewarding them though :(

  • asmkm22asmkm22 Anchorage, AKPosts: 1,788Member
    Originally posted by strangiato2112

    Originally posted by DMKano

    the Trion team should be awarded for the work they've done here


     

    Trion has a funny way of rewarding them though :(

    No kidding.  "Merry Christmas, now pack your shit."

    You make me like charity

  • RockardRockard AthensPosts: 76Member
    Originally posted by strangiato2112

    [mod edit]
    I don't trash GW2.
    But it's events are cyclical.

    And it's events respawn every few minutes in the same place in the world.

    And that is neither inovative nor dynamic.
     

  • DinastyDinasty Posts: 110Member Uncommon
    I'm glad the game and SL have some fanboys but I'd like to have my $40 back. What a waste of money :(
  • VolgoreVolgore Posts: 2,204Member Uncommon

    Of course the addon gets a 8+ score in this webpage, what else...

    We'll see if that still matters once SL goes for 6,99€ again in a few weeks and the "where is everybody??" and "recommend me a well populated server"-threads appear again.

    At the end of the day, gamers will vote again with their wallets and there is a reason why this blatantly generic wow-clone flew at around 150-200k forever.

    And despite SL, Rift-EU is still dead. I'm still frequently checking the EU-forums for news and discussions and i don't find more than about 5 postings made in a day allover the respective country's boards. At times the german forum doesn't see a single post in like 3 days.

     



     

    image
  • GoldenArrowGoldenArrow TurkuPosts: 1,187Member

    Like most of the expansions, Storm Legion is more of the same.

    If you liked Rift from 1.4-1.9 you'll most likely like 2.0+ (SL) aswell.

     

  • KhebelnKhebeln BelfastPosts: 671Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by Volgore

    Of course the addon gets a 8+ score in this webpage, what else...





    We'll see if that still matters once SL goes for 6,99€ again in a few weeks and the "where is everybody??" and "recommend me a well populated server"-threads appear again.





    At the end of the day, gamers will vote again with their wallets and there is a reason why this blatantly generic wow-clone flew at around 150-200k forever.





    And despite SL, Rift-EU is still dead. I'm still frequently checking the EU-forums for news and discussions and i don't find more than about 5 postings made in a day allover the respective country's boards. At times the german forum doesn't see a single post in like 3 days.





     










     




     

    That only says that ppl are busy playing. I was doing in non stop 12-16ha day since release and still bearly have time to do anything else.

    image
    (Retired)- Anarchy Online/Ultima Online/DAoC/Horizonsz/EQ2/SWG/AC1&2/L2/SoR/WoW/TMO/Requiem/Atlantica Online/Manibogi/Rift+(SL)/Lol/Hon/SWTOR/Wakfu/Champions Online/GW/Lotr/CO/TcoS/Tabula Rasa/Meridian 59/Vanguard/Shadowbane/Fury/SotW/Dreamlords/HGL/RoM/DDO/FFXI/Aoc/Eve/Warhammer Online/Gw2/TSW/Tera/Defiance/STO/AoW/DE/Firefall/Darkfall/Neverwinter/PS2

  • VolgoreVolgore Posts: 2,204Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by Khebeln



    Originally posted by Volgore

    Of course the addon gets a 8+ score in this webpage, what else...













    We'll see if that still matters once SL goes for 6,99€ again in a few weeks and the "where is everybody??" and "recommend me a well populated server"-threads appear again.













    At the end of the day, gamers will vote again with their wallets and there is a reason why this blatantly generic wow-clone flew at around 150-200k forever.













    And despite SL, Rift-EU is still dead. I'm still frequently checking the EU-forums for news and discussions and i don't find more than about 5 postings made in a day allover the respective country's boards. At times the german forum doesn't see a single post in like 3 days.













     






















     










     

    That only says that ppl are busy playing. I was doing in non stop 12-16ha day since release and still bearly have time to do anything else.




     

    I was waiting for just THAT response...

    Like little to no forum activity is always a good sign since "everyone is busy playing". Dream on.

    image
  • JetrpgJetrpg Whitehouse, OHPosts: 2,376Member

    My only issues with Rift currently.

    Is i know i cannot trust them to balance classes, and they obviously do not care about pvp.

    "Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

  • RaventreeRaventree Yourtown, MNPosts: 456Member
    Originally posted by Jetrpg

    My only issues with Rift currently.

    Is i know i cannot trust them to balance classes, and they obviously do not care about pvp.

    SL is a fantastic expansion and I don't knock Trion too much in the PVP department, since they have everything that most other MMOs have, plus Conquest.  I am sort of hoping for a seige-type of Conquest match to come out soon, as well.

     

    Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

  • AtrocitusAtrocitus Oa, CAPosts: 77Member Uncommon

    Props to Trion........

     

     

    Love those devs...nicely done guys

  • KhebelnKhebeln BelfastPosts: 671Member Uncommon

    Volgore as long as ppl enjoy the expansion, biased opinions of people that dont really play it wont matter to us.

    Im personaly only active on forums when i complain, or im coming back from work and reply from mobile :)

    Only reason for me to visit forums is to get some info regarding raiding or builds but for that there are better pages that official forums :)

    image
    (Retired)- Anarchy Online/Ultima Online/DAoC/Horizonsz/EQ2/SWG/AC1&2/L2/SoR/WoW/TMO/Requiem/Atlantica Online/Manibogi/Rift+(SL)/Lol/Hon/SWTOR/Wakfu/Champions Online/GW/Lotr/CO/TcoS/Tabula Rasa/Meridian 59/Vanguard/Shadowbane/Fury/SotW/Dreamlords/HGL/RoM/DDO/FFXI/Aoc/Eve/Warhammer Online/Gw2/TSW/Tera/Defiance/STO/AoW/DE/Firefall/Darkfall/Neverwinter/PS2

  • Shadow-FocusShadow-Focus Bognor RegisPosts: 13Member

    If I were going to play a game like this again, I'd rather just go back to WoW.

     

    Something new please.

    Played - WoW, LotRO, AoC, WAR, Aion, Rift, SWtOR.

    Playing - GW2

    Want - TESO, Neverwinter, Titan

  • OtashiOtashi NantesPosts: 76Member
    Originally posted by DMKano

    It is the best expansion of 2012 easily, IMO it might be one of the best expansions for any game ever - if you consider how bland and meh rift was at release, now look at Storm Legion - I honestly had a feeling of "this can't be the same game" - it is FAR improved in almost all aspects.

    Storm Legion would go down in history as one of the most epic expansions period, the Trion team should be awarded for the work they've done here, as since Kunark (1st eq1 expansion), what else has even come close?

    Rewarded ? A good bunch of them are getting fired instead...

  • VannorVannor YorkshirePosts: 2,968Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by Volgore

    And despite SL, Rift-EU is still dead. I'm still frequently checking the EU-forums for news and discussions and i don't find more than about 5 postings made in a day allover the respective country's boards. At times the german forum doesn't see a single post in like 3 days.

    I really don't see what your point is here other than no one uses the EU forums. I don't.. I use the US ones.. and I expect most EU players to use the US ones as well. It's pretty much like that for every game that doesn't lock out the EU from using the US forums. Why talk in two bloody places about the same things?

    Who still uses server forums anyway when there's global chat?

  • sahrimudsahrimud BarcelonaPosts: 2Member

    Nice article and review

    Storm Legion its a great great xpac for Rift, lot of content, better graphics, better art, better music, awesome raids and dungeons and dimensions!

     

  • mCalvertmCalvert Tallahassee, FLPosts: 1,283Member
    Originally posted by Draron

    Originally posted by mCalvert

    Innovation is way overrated especially in the time of GW2. Rifts do not spawn randomly, they spawn at predetermined points, and follow a formula.

    Weird, you talk as if GW2's events don't.

    On topic, I think the score is a little too high - I read some big issues with the launch, and polish is not one of the pro's IMO. But still, good work Trion.

    No, GW2s events have some similar flaws, but many more improvements. And on innovation GW2 has so much more overall.

  • mCalvertmCalvert Tallahassee, FLPosts: 1,283Member
    Originally posted by Rockard



    /sarcasm off

    I'm sorry but I'm really fed up with all the GW2 inovation crap.

    And the best take on a dynamic world I've seen so far is in Rift.

    Because you see,Rifts dynamic world is backed up by it's lore.

    It's rifts are justified to recycle again and again.

    But in GW2 when you do the same event for the 50th time only to have it respawn in a few minutes,breaking every and any sence of immersion and dynamism,what do you tell yourself??

    That this is inovation???

    Speaking of innovation, try paragraphs. but I wasnt referring to just dynamic events, although GW2s are better than Rifts.

Sign In or Register to comment.