Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crafting and Gathering Video

PhramePhrame Member Posts: 29

A new video showcasing Crafting and Gathering in FFXIV:ARR has been released. Check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=a-v8WeZX4QQ

Looks decent, though I've never been really big on crafting myself so I can't comment much. Any thoughts on this?

Comments

• LexinLexin Member UncommonPosts: 701
    Really enjoy the crafting in both FF MMO's.

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

The crafting seems to be pretty much the same as how 1.0 ended, besides the guessing game of ingredients which is nice.

Gathering has been simplified, too much IMO.

TBH, between this and the video showing off questing, I'm starting to dread watching anymore "previews". :(

• skorner64skorner64 Member Posts: 47

Dang the gathering looks like most games now , the only thing I thought FFXIV did good was their graphics and crafting/gathering systems.

In FFXIV the crafting was very complex and you needed many other classes working together or at least combining their items together to make something, here it seems you might be able to break down and craft things by yourself, at least they kept player input when it comes to success/quality.

With gathering you had little minigames for each that also involed player input in order to gather the item/fish. Here it seems like they made it easier, just click what you want to try for.

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146
    Originally posted by skorner64

Dang the gathering looks like most games now , the only thing I thought FFXIV did good was their graphics and crafting/gathering systems.

In FFXIV the crafting was very complex and you needed many other classes working together or at least combining their items together to make something, here it seems you might be able to break down and craft things by yourself, at least they kept player input when it comes to success/quality.

With gathering you had little minigames for each that also involed player input in order to gather the item/fish. Here it seems like they made it easier, just click what you want to try for.

It gets more complex when you get more skills, they show things at too low a lvl. Also there is still inter-dependence between crafting and the gathering classes, just not between crafting as it got too convoluted. People where pretty split on the mini games, especially now that you don't get ingredients for leve quests, so you will have to gather a lot more, it would get very repetitive. The game part comes with the later skills now.

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Originally posted by skorner64

Gathering and crafting was very time consuming, players knew what sweet spots to hit for the rares materials they wanted, all they have done is reduced the time to gather, you still will not be gauranteed to get the item you want.  Crafting has been overhauled to let people craft that don't particularly like the finer details of HQ'ing, those that do like the challenge will still be able to try for HQ's.  What they are trying to do is make crafting appeal to all players, which I think is a good thing, the element of risk on losing materials will still be there.

What would you prefer, spend several minutes trying to gather 7 maple logs from a tree or spend 2 minutes trying to gather 7 maple logs from a tree?

Gathering and crafting stats will still come into play.

• Snowdon_CloudripperSnowdon_Cloudripper Member CommonPosts: 584
    I will be interested in the fishing. but I am doing all crafts before a full combat class .

http://absoluteretribution.enjin.com/ Guild Website and Recruitment link

• The_DhampirThe_Dhampir Member UncommonPosts: 62
    Finally that boring mini-game is gone for gathering. Glad I didn't grind out all the gathering jobs in 1.0.
  • free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    Originally posted by The_Dhampir
    Finally that boring mini-game is gone for gathering. Glad I didn't grind out all the gathering jobs in 1.0.

This 10,000 times.

I leve quested several crafting classes. I loathed the lack of choice when harvesting and the ping based double tap system was a royal pain in the ass.

I have enough throw away mats that I can relearn the crafting and by the looks of things I can now actually go get Logs and not come back with an inventory full of feathers.