Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How can lifetimers get back at Funcom?

Comments

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    This is the OP's second thread encouraging retaliation against Funcom.  He ignores the fact that TSW is selling a ton of copies right now and new life is flowing into a dying game.  It's obvious he'd rather see his "Lifetime" sub go down with the ship instead of seeing the game find a healthy playerbase.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• chrodochrodo Member Posts: 5

Got the life time sub , haddn't been on for some time , was up-dating when I read it was going BTP , read what lifers get cheacked out the priceing in the market , and I don't feel cheated at all , Im very happy with the changes I will know use the market as before I wasn't and one free item a month say at an average of 200 FC coins , tally how much all that would cost you I'd say that were better off than before .

this means that I will be back on a lot more often wich will help server numbers wich can only be a good thing for the game.

GW2 know has a rivel for my limited time on line with a young family.(Im shore I won't be the only one).

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556
    I bought the lifetime sub to play the game for as long as it's around without having to worry about a sub.  As far as I'm concerned I'm still getting that and Funcom has thrown in 1200 points a month to spend on stuff and a free item a month as well.  I like my Mayan headdress... but it would be nicer if I had some clothes to go with it.

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• LizardoneLizardone Member Posts: 93
    I don't understand why there are people out there that are still buying lifetime subs from Funcom. Actually, lifetime subs these days are worthless as MMOs these days are going F2P/B2P. It's not a brainer.
  • birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Originally posted by Lizardone
    I don't understand why there are people out there that are still buying lifetime subs from Funcom. Actually, lifetime subs these days are worthless as MMOs these days are going F2P/B2P. It's not a brainer.

As I've stated in another post, they are either not thinking properly, or are like me, who want to support the developer with a one-time easy payment.

• MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316
    This is the reason why I never lifetime sub to any MMO game.
  • erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022
    Originally posted by birdycephon

As I've stated in another post, they are either not thinking properly, or are like me, who want to support the developer with a one-time easy payment.

You do realize that all content packs going forward you will have to pay for even lifetimers. 

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Originally posted by erictlewis
    Originally posted by birdycephon

You do realize that all content packs going forward you will have to pay for even lifetimers. 

Lol no.

With 1,200 points monthly, I think I can afford all the content.

• DingoBoiDingoBoi Member Posts: 87

My only concern as a Grandmaster was that if I left for 6+ months, my points would expire... and then coming back, I'd have to spend cash to buy issues. 

They solved that with an auto-buy each issue as available option.  While I might lose some leftover points, I'm far more concerned about ensuring I get the issues (which really were sorta part of the Grandmaster subscription).

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533
    Originally posted by Simsu

Has anyone else noticed how games that offer lifetime subs are also the ones who go F2P/Fremium sooner rather than later? Are there any lifetime sub games that haven't gone F2P/Fremium?

I'm amazed people are still paying for lifetime subs.

No people don't seem to be noticing it.  Why?  I have no idea. 

A developer knows whether their game will have a lasting appeal.  They know full well whether over the long haul they'd end up making more money with sub based deals or lifetime deals.  If they offer lifetime deals right off the bat, then they assume that is the more profitable route and they hope people will buy them.  Why?  Because they know full well they'll earn more money that way than by charging subs over time.  They know they only have a few months worth of content.  If they can get a bulk some of money out of someone they are glad to have it. 

This is the same thing here.  It's the same thing every single time a lifetime is offered.  People seem to happily fall for it every time.  Then the game goes F2P.  After all, if a lot of people bought lifetime subs that's a one time payment.  People aren't buying regular subs.  A game company has to make its money.  So they go F2P hoping to do that. 

LIFE TIME SUBS are a deal.  Its a deal for the developer.  Not a deal for you.  If by this point people can't get that through their heads, then I'm all for the developer.  They've found a great way to make profit on less work. 

As for the responses here, you have people who are ticked off because they think their money didn't pay off.  They're probably right.  Which is almost always the case with a life time sub so you only have yourself to blame. 

Then there's people who think they got their money's worth.  I'm glad for them.  Although in reality, its likely most of these folks have just invested too much money in a game to admit they might have made a mistake.  They can't bring themselves to admit they might have wasted a good chunk of change. 

And so the lifetime sub saga continues.  Always the same.  Never changes.  A handful of people will learn from this instance, most won't.  As for my advice, it remains the same as always.  DO NOT BUY A LIFE TIME SUB.  EVER.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Corehaven

Has anyone else noticed how games that offer lifetime subs are also the ones who go F2P/Fremium sooner rather than later? Are there any lifetime sub games that haven't gone F2P/Fremium?

A developer knows whether their game will have a lasting appeal.  They know full well whether over the long haul they'd end up making more money with sub based deals or lifetime deals.  If they offer lifetime deals right off the bat, then they assume that is the more profitable route and they hope people will buy them.  Why?  Because they know full well they'll earn more money that way than by charging subs over time.  They know they only have a few months worth of content.  If they can get a bulk some of money out of someone they are glad to have it. 

This is the same thing here.  It's the same thing every single time a lifetime is offered.  People seem to happily fall for it every time.  Then the game goes F2P.  After all, if a lot of people bought lifetime subs that's a one time payment.  People aren't buying regular subs.  A game company has to make its money.  So they go F2P hoping to do that. 

LIFE TIME SUBS are a deal.  Its a deal for the developer.  Not a deal for you.  If by this point people can't get that through their heads, then I'm all for the developer.  They've found a great way to make profit on less work. 

As for the responses here, you have people who are ticked off because they think their money didn't pay off.  They're probably right.  Which is almost always the case with a life time sub so you only have yourself to blame. 

Then there's people who think they got their money's worth.  I'm glad for them.  Although in reality, its likely most of these folks have just invested too much money in a game to admit they might have made a mistake.  They can't bring themselves to admit they might have wasted a good chunk of change. 

And so the lifetime sub saga continues.  Always the same.  Never changes.  A handful of people will learn from this instance, most won't.  As for my advice, it remains the same as always.  DO NOT BUY A LIFE TIME SUB.  EVER.

The LOTRO lifetime sub was the biggest deal in MMORPG history for the customer, in fact it was too good of a deal because its probably the main reason why in 2010 a game that was  #3 in active players (more than Rift has now for example) went f2p.

Even now smart lifetime subbers can use it to get their expansions for free by saving their points stipend.

Originally posted by strangiato2112

The LOTRO lifetime sub was the biggest deal in MMORPG history for the customer, in fact it was too good of a deal because its probably the main reason why in 2010 a game that was  #3 in active players (more than Rift has now for example) went f2p.

Even now smart lifetime subbers can use it to get their expansions for free by saving their points stipend.

That is total BS when LOTRO went free to play it was bleeding players.  I have 2 lifetime subs one for me and the wife, and the been sitting there gathering dust.  I yet to play since it went free to play, nor used it to buy anything.  Not everybody with lifetime subs is playing lotro. 

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

That is total BS when LOTRO went free to play it was bleeding players.  I have 2 lifetime subs one for me and the wife, and the been sitting there gathering dust.  I yet to play since it went free to play, nor used it to buy anything.  Not everybody with lifetime subs is playing lotro. 

question is, if you werent playing, how did you know if it was bleeding subs or not?  I bet you are one of the people who will tell you its dead now.

And of course not everyone who has a lifetime sub is playing.  Thanks, captain obvious.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

LOTRO did far better as F2P than before. There was a massive injection of players, until they ruined it by releasing a bunch of dud expansions.

question is, if you werent playing, how did you know if it was bleeding subs or not?  I bet you are one of the people who will tell you its dead now.

And of course not everyone who has a lifetime sub is playing.  Thanks, captain obvious.

I was playing until they went free to play.  After SOM shadows of murkwood came out a lot of folks left after that dud of an expansion. On the official forums were post like the famous jump the shark post, folks were predecting that it was going free to play, and sapience had told us all they were not going to do that.  There were even post with where folks were doing head counts on a daily basis. It was no shock to some of us they went free to play.  I had even necroed a thread to say I told you so, where somebody had put a tin foil hat on me.  I was invested in that game until we got SOM,  and som was a dud followed by that dunland.  I understand it is doing a lot better now, but before they went free to play there was a good number of folks who left. There were even post of out with the old, in with the new.  A lot of vets  who played back when the game was released are no longer playing. So free to play actually saved their game, however it drove a lot of folks off but they were replaced by the new players. 

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778

Yeah 'in reality'. I am glad you know what is actually going on in everyone's mind. By the way lifetime subscribers got even a better deal after the new changes with added 10% discount on everything. So nope....lifetime subscribers didn't lose anything infact everything is still the same with added benefits.

I wish you guys would do some more reserarch before writing wall of texts based on assumptions. 

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

I was playing until they went free to play. ...

NEWS FLASH! It's only F2P for people who already bought the game before the change.  The thousands of NEW players coming into the game all see it as Buy to Play which is a completely different model.  Hearing the incessant complaining from the small handfull of players that were left is mind boggling.  Any normal community would be thrilled at the huge influx of new players breathing new life into their game.  I honestly think some people would rather see their game die than see it make a change to attract more players.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Roxtarr
    This is the OP's second thread encouraging retaliation against Funcom.  He ignores the fact that TSW is selling a ton of copies right now and new life is flowing into a dying game.  It's obvious he'd rather see his "Lifetime" sub go down with the ship instead of seeing the game find a healthy playerbase.

I keep asking for an example of what the Lifetime players actually lost in the TSW transition. I keep asking the people who are angry what actually changed with their account and their experience. So far, I haven't gotten an answer.

In the case of TSW, where are the people who paid for a lifetime subscription not getting what they paid for?

I think I'm forced to agree with you. Nobody is angry that the game went B2P. Everyone is angry that other people get to play the game without a subscription. They aren't losing anything, they just want to maintain the barrier to entry and exclude other people from the game.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by TalulaRose
    Originally posted by Johnie-Marz Because their numbers aren't what they hoped, they had a choice: Close the game OR change the subscription model. How is closing the game better for those with lifetime subscriptions???   Under B2P you can play the game plus get 10 dollars a month worth of points to buy things. Under closing the game, you get nothing.
    Not Really true.

The previously free updates are now going to cost between $5 - $10

You get $10 worth of points that can only be used in the TSW cash shop and ecpire in 6 months.

Some months the Issue will cost $10 so you end up with no free points. You get nothing.

Other months you will be left with up to $5 worth of points depending no how much the Issue costs.

As a non-sub customer you can buy more points and they don't expire.

Non GM pack owners are better off. Get more for their dollar, no expiry.

If you get a $10 expansion for your free points, you've gotten something for free.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by Roxtarr

I keep asking for an example of what the Lifetime players actually lost in the TSW transition. I keep asking the people who are angry what actually changed with their account and their experience. So far, I haven't gotten an answer.

In the case of TSW, where are the people who paid for a lifetime subscription not getting what they paid for?

I think I'm forced to agree with you. Nobody is angry that the game went B2P. Everyone is angry that other people get to play the game without a subscription. They aren't losing anything, they just want to maintain the barrier to entry and exclude other people from the game.

I have been askign the same question but no one is willing to say otherwise. Infact, they had a better deal than before and value for lifetime sub has increased not decreased. Nothing has changed for lifetime subscriber.

So if anyone can give some genuine reason why lifetime subscriber got screwed and what have they lost i would really appreciate.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Originally posted by Wolferider

I have a lifetime account and I feel the compensation is adequate.    I was spending money each month on buying clothing in the store and now I don't  have to.  I'm actually saving money now that they went this route.

True. Got free points, went to CS and bought some hefty goggles and "the Brain" title right away. CS is pure convinience if you have most of the skills already but I like to be able to shop for funny things. As a lifetimer I feel that the compensation is very adequate.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Originally posted by Po_gg
    Originally posted by Thane

17 posts, and he is already sueing the world. gotta love america ^^

be sure to contact your local press and governer too, this is a serious business, you should concider going to war against those nasty norwegians.

all those "legal" steps are plain and simple a fucking joke. you guys are the real cause of this world's problems.

+1 :)

+1 :)

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeXQBHLIPcw

musical version of this thematic :P

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by kilun
    Originally posted by banzai014

So Funcom is laughing all the way to the bank with lifetimers' money. We haven't even seen a return on our investment (12+ months sub time) and TSW has already gone F2P. Instead, we are being given a sop for wanting to support Funcom and trusting their "we won't go F2P anytime, cash shop is cosmetics-only" promise - for a $15 month's sub, players now get $10 in Funcom fake monies that expire after 6 months and 20% discount on all per-character (not even account!) clothing/pets (non-DLC items) bought from the cash shop.  It would be cheaper to buy the $5-10 monthly DLC from the store than sub in this game. 

Of course we can't vote with our wallets, Funcom already has our money. Rather than listening to our complaints, Funcom would be more apt to ban us for being disruptive in chat / forums since they've already milked us cash-wise and we're now just a drain on server resources.

So how can lifetimers protest? We have to do it through word of mouth. It's our duty to warn players from this game. We must warn our friends, our family, warn people in the forums we frequent. Let our cautionary tale make it known that only fools part money with Funcom.

So what your saying is you believed that Funcom who's all other titles have gone to a freemium type model would not have this go freemium until at least your roughly a year has passed so the pre-paid time (roughly 1 year sub) was all used up?

You bought the game knowing that it could close down or go to a freemium soon after release, if you bought it without expecting any worst case scenario that is you own fault.

They gave you the same thing  Sorry but free subscription and a paid one is not the same thing.The bonuses are worth ZERO as far as monetary value goes.and added a few bonuses each month.  A cautionary tell was set years ago with Hellgate London's failure.  Everyone knows buying a new game and doing anything more than month sub at a time is a risk.

(I do have a liftetime subscription and am actually happy about this change, as it looks even a better deal than before)

They represented their product as a LIFETIME membership.That is NOT implying the game will shut down soon after OR become a free to play soon after.

That is MISREPRESENTATION of the product and is illegal.It does of course usually involve a lawyer who can retrieve documents and stuff to prove the point.Timing is key,a business decision of this magnitude does NOT happen over night,it takes time to organize it as PROVEN by many other developers.So this means the decision would have been made most likely 2 months prior maybe even earlier.

Your consumer rights also are that a SALES pitch ,example a lifetime sub at a discount,cannot be misleading or deceptive.This is the hard point to prove.

Keeping that decision a secret just to get undue money from a customer is again illegal.The problem is proof and most likely takes a good lawyer that can force documents out to prove the point.

You can however contact your local consumer rights division.Laws on gaming are so weak,they most likely have nothing concrete to draw on.

BTW...many terms in TOS that you virtually sign are not legal and you are not upheld by them.Law ALWAYS precedes anything some big shot lawyer writes up.You cannot make a TOS that excuses from the law.

What they have offered is totally worthless,it has a value of ZERO,because you NEVER own virtual items or goods.That money you put up front was NOT intended for cash shop use,it was intended for a game that was represented in a certain mannerism which was not upheld.

You can search around and find media outlets who will make phone calls and go after them.They won't like bad media coverage.Crikey maybe?Keywords >>>>misrepresentation ,misleading and deceiving all illegal.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Wizardry

They represented their product as a LIFETIME membership.That is NOT implying the game will shut down soon after OR become a free to play soon after.

And yet you will still have access to the game for its lifetime..... Soooo what did they rip you off from? And it is not free to play, its buy to play like single player games and GW2.

That is MISREPRESENTATION of the product and is illegal.

Legally they gave you access to the game for its lifetime, you still have access to the game, so you got exactly what you paid for. Them giving other people a better deal is not breaking the deal they made with you.

Keeping that decision a secret just to get undue money from a customer is again illegal.The problem is proof and most likely takes a good lawyer that can force documents out to prove the point.

Does your local fast food chain need to keep you informed of upcoming deals? Or the local shops? If you buy a TV for 500 dollars, and then they sell it two months later for 300 dollars... is that illegal? No. [mod edit]

What they have offered is totally worthless,it has a value of ZERO,because you NEVER own virtual items or goods.That money you put up front was NOT intended for cash shop use,it was intended for a game that was represented in a certain mannerism which was not upheld.

It was for lifetime access to the game. You still have that. Nothing has changed except some new players are getting a better deal.  If you actually cared about the game, you would realise thats a good thing.

Just because you would rather have the game die than other people get a better deal than you, doesnt mean that what they are doing is against the law in any way shape or form.

I dont understand why this is so hard to comprehend for these people. You havent lost anything, in fact you have gained more players to group with and an extended lifetime for a game that you supposedly liked enough to pay 200 dollars for.

Would you have preferred that they closed the game instead? Because that was the other option.