Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Conan: Unchained: F2P Option Retooled

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Funcom has announced that players taking advantage of Age of Conan's free to play option will now have new benefits added to help them enjoy their play time. Among other things, Funcom has unlocked all character classes for F2Pers.

• All Classes Unlocked! Free players may now try any of the games classes completely free.

• Classic Dungeons unlocked! The complete selection of classic dungeons are now unlocked for free play. This includes ALL the pre-80 dungeons and a selection of level 80 dungeons as well! Level 80 adventures in The Crow's Nest, The Iron Tower, Xibaluku, The Slaughterhouse Cellar and Attilius' Mansion are all now available for free play!

• Gold cap increased! In order to allow free players to engage more in the end game economy, in particular with the incoming new crafting system in mind, the gold cap on free accounts has been raised from 2g to 10g. 

Read the full announcement on the Age of Conan site.

Thanks, Marz.at.Play, for the tip!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• blootmageblootmage Member UncommonPosts: 10

Wow , i guess this makes me wanna try for sure this time, cause the limitations were kinda bad before

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    they still have the max lvl advancement on lockdown tho i guess?

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912
    Would have preferred AoC go the B2P option similar to TSW but this is still a good step in the right direction. Now we have a better trial to 80. :)

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Humm, I wonder if CCP folks might be getting abit nervous.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Elsabolts

AoC has 50k players or less, and is in an entirely different genre of game from Eve. Why would CCP be nervous?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Originally posted by lizardbones

AoC has 50k players or less, and is in an entirely different genre of game from Eve. Why would CCP be nervous?

All of the game company's deciding to go F2P.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • darkbamydarkbamy Member UncommonPosts: 111

Still need to pay for the expansion area (lvl 80 bit)...then NO

Not planning on paying for something that should be free, i dont mind the other things your supposed to pay for but come on..every lvl 80 area is locked down

• Butch808Butch808 Member UncommonPosts: 369
    Originally posted by darkbamy

Still need to pay for the expansion...then NO

My feelings exactly.

• FallguyArmyFallguyArmy Member Posts: 80
    Perfect timing. To be honest, I thought SWTOR's F2P restrictions were bad, then I realized Bioware and EA weren't the first ones to imeplement asshattery business models. SOE and FunCom were just as notorious, but looks like FunCom is starting to see their errors. Lifiting some of those restrictions will surely draw in a crowd once again (albeit small for sure), but at least they're rectifying their mistakes. I just looked at the latest F2P restrictions on AoC and I see a number of things are finally available to free members. THIS is how you set up F2P restrictions for your game. Not the bullshit that Bioware/EA has done on SWTOR.
  • dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468
    Originally posted by Butch808

My feelings exactly.

You've never paid for an expansion before?

• Darklotus79Darklotus79 Member Posts: 61

This is good news..I might actually give it a shot !

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

The problem with this game, you are channeled everywhere.  I did not mind the character restrictions nor the gold, although it would have been a pain at higher levels.

I wish them luck, but I found the game less interesting to play than most of the other themepark fantasy games.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Why don't they do Aoc free play like tsw?
  • HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

The problem with this game, you are channeled everywhere.  I did not mind the character restrictions nor the gold, although it would have been a pain at higher levels.

I wish them luck, but I found the game less interesting to play than most of the other themepark fantasy games.

"channeled everywhere" ? what could that mean

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    i'd be all over this....if i wasn't playing PS2 and waiting or DF UW....so much good stuff being thrown at us...
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Nice.  Curious to see if population comes back for this.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 258
     Originally posted by hockey98

My feelings exactly.

[mod edit]

[mod edit] He is talking about the issue in which customers who paid for the expansion are asked to pay for it again in order for it to be unlocked (and only weekly and for each zone seperately). So they are taking something away from you which you have already paid for and putting it behind a paywall and that is unacceptable.

I won't be going back unless they change this and find a solution for AA.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by black_isle

My feelings exactly.

[mod edit]

[mod edit] He is talking about the issue in which customers who paid for the expansion are asked to pay for it again in order for it to be unlocked (and only weekly and for each zone seperately). So they are taking something away from you which you have already paid for and putting it behind a paywall and that is unacceptable.

exactly. well presented.

aside though from your points, there is the whole question of game viability in an f2p game, if the community of players is split too much. for a successful community to develop the game needs to provide as consistent an experience as is viable for both paying and nonpaying customers. there's no point in having a surge in players if the community can't play a significant segment of content together.

[mod edit]

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• DreskestDreskest Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by black_isle

My feelings exactly.

[mod edit]

I won't be going back unless they change this and find a solution for AA.

Just to clarify this for you : They did not take anything away from you. When game went f2p it was made perfectly clear that RotGS would remain available for subscribers only with an option for free players to access the content via weekly passes regardless of you buying the expansion previously or not.

Would it be better if they implemented something like the new TSW business model ? Probably yes, but it is what it is at the moment. What if Blizzard suddenly decided to extend WoW's f2p trial to include every expansion but MoP which would remain available for subbers only ?

I can guarantee that lots of people would happily drop their subscriptions and would still be complaining that Blizzard took away MoP from them (for those who paid for that expansion) when it would be clear from the beginning that MoP would not be part of the deal.

Sorry, but the truth is many people read or hear F2P and they immediately see themselves having access to everything without having to pay a cent, ever. Have you heard the saying : "Give them an inch, they want a mile".  I think it's perfectly valid in this case.

As for your AA concern, people who bought the RotGS expansion have access to the full AA system in AoC under the f2p model. The only option in the AA system unavailable for free players who own the expansion is the time trained feature. 

• NomaDWNomaDW Member Posts: 1

Nice but not nice enough to help AoC out.

Players will still need to sub to enjoy AA's and RoTG expansion even if they bought it.

They'd be better off by removing the sub limitations of those, like, buy perks/content from shop and they would be unlocked for ever without the need to sub.

As it is now, F2P is still a free "trial" with end game locked by sub.

But, if Funcom thinks AoC is doing well like this, more power to them.

• dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 488
    Originally posted by lizardbones

All of the game company's deciding to go F2P.

It's been going on for a while...

CCP has no real need to feel nervous. They're perhaps the only MMO on the market that isn't susceptable to the F2P gains. There aren't any other games like Eve, and so Eve players don't get to choose between a sub game or another no-sub game. Add that to the fact that CCP reward you for succeeding by allowing you to play F2P through PLEX (and how it offers a legitimate form of RMT), and there should be no nerves at CCP.

And stop with the cat picture ;(

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

I quit somewhere around level 40 partly because I'd have to pay to see the asian zone(s).  The main reason was how tedious leveling was after Tortage.

Can you go to every zone and level to the cap?  Or are latest expansions locked?

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by 4bsolute
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

"channeled everywhere" ? what could that mean

AoC uses MEGA-channelling. Everywhere you are there's at least a 2nd copy of the world active with players in it. Tortage has about 10-15 channels available (depending on time of day). This makes it a pain to find parties or even players...

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    having previously paid for ROTGS i guess there has to be a bit of give and take..there is plenty to do in conan and i think they made some good adjustments to there f2p..it should help get a few more in there although i think they should do a b2p option.those that purchased ROTGS will just have to wait a bit more time to see if it becomes accessible.
  • vonryan123vonryan123 Member UncommonPosts: 418

I'm thinking about starting up a Clan again anyone down i just reinstalled got my toons up and running again