Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Aventurine does it again

Comments

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Anyone who thinks stealing names in Darkfall is ok is a massive douche.. It has nothing to do with the game being carebear or not.  Names in Darkfall are important to the politics of the game.  I'm very happy to see that they are giving vet names back. Great move.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• Dark_HUmarDark_HUmar Member UncommonPosts: 200

In most MMO's a name does not mean mutch anymore. But in games like DarkFall it does! I can remember I took a year break, 1 year later I come back and made some Troll coment in chat (kinda the way to say hi in DarkFall) and some in the area says "Hi, look who we got there! Its HUmar!" Never in any game I experianced that after 1 year people still know your name! I don't care about my name (That I got from PSO 10-12 years ago) most of the time, since I put something in front of the name so I can still use my name with something added to it, but in DarkFall I would care simply because your name means a way more then just a few letters! So I can see why they did this! (luckly I already reserved my name)

• SysFailSysFail Member Posts: 375

OP is a wolly... The intended purpose was to make Celiah rage, he deserved it just for his multi-coloured recruitment spam in ingame chats so job done, but common sense prevailed and all is well again.

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    It was the right move, it's easy for Aventurine to tell what names belong to what account. Anyone who says this was wrong is in fact the whiner themselves. Now go create your own name and stop relying on others to think of the cool stuff for you.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Well how did they give him his name back without taking it away from another player?That in itself would be wrong.

The common sense move would be to tell that player to go to a different server where he can use his old name,IF there is more than one server of course.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333
    Originally posted by Dark_HUmar

In most MMO's a name does not mean mutch anymore. But in games like DarkFall it does! I can remember I took a year break, 1 year later I come back and made some Troll coment in chat (kinda the way to say hi in DarkFall) and some in the area says "Hi, look who we got there! Its HUmar!" Never in any game I experianced that after 1 year people still know your name! I don't care about my name (That I got from PSO 10-12 years ago) most of the time, since I put something in front of the name so I can still use my name with something added to it, but in DarkFall I would care simply because your name means a way more then just a few letters! So I can see why they did this! (luckly I already reserved my name)

Of course choosen names are essential, that point should be out of discussion in any MMORPG board.

The example you give here should stand for all the MMO players out there and i am also attched to my in game name.

Despite AV attempts to kill the RPG out of Darkfall , create a Avatar and name it is one of the very basic and founding idea of the genre.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Aventurine did something right for a change, not really a common occurrence for them. I applaud this move and would ask the OP to take a hard look at his moral reasoning. There actually can be honor among thieves you know.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Wizardry

Well how did they give him his name back without taking it away from another player?That in itself would be wrong.

The common sense move would be to tell that player to go to a different server where he can use his old name,IF there is more than one server of course.

There is one NA server and one EU server..

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

There are only two servers.  Eu and NA.  Each server can hold 50,000 people and have 10,000 concurrent users playing.  This was true for DF1 but don't know if it remains true for Unholy Wars. 

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Its pretty simple imo, the original owner of the name, ie. the one with it from DF1, has first and overiding claim to that name. I have to agree with AV's handling of it in this case tbh, i'd go one further and only allow names to be claimed beforehand if the name was from a character in DF1 and the claimee is the original owner of that name, though why they couldnt account link these things before hand i don't know, would probably avoid a lot of these kinds of disputes.image
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,389
    Originally posted by Phry
    Its pretty simple imo, the original owner of the name, ie. the one with it from DF1, has first and overiding claim to that name. I have to agree with AV's handling of it in this case tbh, i'd go one further and only allow names to be claimed beforehand if the name was from a character in DF1 and the claimee is the original owner of that name, though why they couldnt account link these things before hand i don't know, would probably avoid a lot of these kinds of disputes.image

This seems reasonable especially if they made this known before hand, instead of saying preorder and get to reserve your name.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• kozzmozz7kozzmozz7 Member UncommonPosts: 10

Av finally realises that catering to the assholes ingame or outgame isnt a good thing. It pisses people off, it drive people away or it shows how a company treats its future players.

It has nothing to do with the game or the mechanics. Its not because its a FFA Full loot pvp game that its needed to act like jerks 24/7 .

Im glad AV realises this. The bad guys need to go, the good guys need to stay ! Cause whats next? visiting someone in real life and give him a punch in the face cause he did something to you ingame? for the most pple in DF that would count as "owned" or "you got looted in real life" or the famous "+1" .

Its a game wich we play inside the game. rewarding griefers or trollers outside the game is not done!

+1 for av ;)

• Aragon100Aragon100 Member RarePosts: 2,686
    Originally posted by Asm0deus
    Originally posted by raapnaap
    Originally posted by DarthRaiden
    just damage control for their wipe decision..

The wipe was needed. As usual, they communicated poorly on it, but any real veteran agrees, the wipe would create a fresh start and make the playing field equal for new players. No need for damage control.

As for name stealing... How could anyone defend people stealing well known player names? It is a complete dick move and I'm happy Aventurine returns these names to their real owners.

This happens so often in games even carebears don't usaully whine that a name they wanted to use is taken.... I thought this game was "hardcore" and that dick moves like this was something you are suppose to expect and get over or just go play hello kitty online?

Heh anyhoot I am sure the whiner that got his name back is happy, thing is though this kind of shows us new players should not expect equitable treatment compared to older vets.

LOL no it's not hardcore at all, just look at the carebears in this thead defending Aventurines carebear move.

Was the same in DF1 when the carebear Zerg threatened to leave cause they didnt have the city after server up. Aventurine then changed their own siege rules to please the whining carebears. =)

There is different rules for different players.

Originally posted by snapfusion

The wipe was needed. As usual, they communicated poorly on it, but any real veteran agrees, the wipe would create a fresh start and make the playing field equal for new players. No need for damage control.

As for name stealing... How could anyone defend people stealing well known player names? It is a complete dick move and I'm happy Aventurine returns these names to their real owners.

This happens os often in games even carebnears don't usaully whine that a name they wanted to use is taken.... I thought this game was "hardcore" and that dick moves like this was something you are suppose to expect and get over or just go play hello kitty online?

Heh anyhoot I am sure the whiner that got his name back is happy, thing is though this kind of shows us new players should not expect equitable treatment compared to older vets.

Wow just wow, since when should hardcore and being a "dick" be intertwined.  Is that now one of the requirements for playing a "hardcore" computer game, being a dick?  Dude Im worried about the way your mind is working through this senario.

Its actually a  legit question while being a bit sarcastic, as when I have, in the past questioned dick moves in such game, I have been told this very thing and generally this is the normal response.  So it's ok to use dick moves towards a newb if your a vet but not the other way around ?

Aye, pretty much this. Aventurine change their rules to please some.

They took the name away from the one that "secured it". Then they gave it back to the one that made the carebear whining thread.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    This is not a carebear/hardcore issue Aragon. 
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Aventurine did something right for a change, not really a common occurrence for them. I applaud this move and would ask the OP to take a hard look at his moral reasoning. There actually can be honor among thieves you know.

Rules set by a game company should be followed 100%.

Answer me Kyleran, do you also agree when Aventurine in DF1 changed their own siege rule and gave a not conquered city manually back to the Zergs cause they threatened to rage quit?

• wrekognizewrekognize Member UncommonPosts: 388

The name is reserved on both servers.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Originally posted by Aragon100

This happens so often in games even carebears don't usaully whine that a name they wanted to use is taken.... I thought this game was "hardcore" and that dick moves like this was something you are suppose to expect and get over or just go play hello kitty online?

LOL no it's not hardcore at all, just look at the carebears in this thead defending Aventurines carebear move.

Was the same in DF1 when the carebear Zerg threatened to leave cause they didnt have the city after server up. Aventurine then changed their own rule to please the whining carebears. =)

Why do you equate doing the "right thing", being honorable or fair a "carebear" move?

It isn't "hardcore" to be a jerk to others, and Aventurine seems to realize this.  They understand they owe their previous customers some benefits for their previous loyalty.

If doing the right thing makes me a Carebear, fine, call me "Harmony Bear".

Damn, now someones going to steal that one from me, I didn't pre-order.  image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Aragon100
    Originally posted by Badaboom
    This is not a carebear/hardcore issue Aragon. 

[mod edit]

How old are you Aragon?

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Why do you equate doing the "right thing", being honorable or fair a "carebear" move?

It isn't "hardcore" to be a jerk to others, and Aventurine seems to realize this.  They understand they owe their previous customers some benefits for their previous loyalty.

If doing the right thing makes me a Carebear, fine, call me "Harmony Bear".

Damn, now someones going to steal that one from me, I didn't pre-order.  image

It may be the right thing, but it is brought about because of the wrong decision.   DF really should not have offered name reservations in the first place. 

• DovregubbenDovregubben Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Originally posted by Greymoor
    The reserve name tool was not created to be a tool for trolls to abuse others. ./thread

This.

Glad he got his name back.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

I would have sympathy if the name was stolen from some other media such as books,film or other video games,or if it was taken from a famous real person.But the name in question was unique to the individual who made it famous in this game.Aventurine should have no problem identifying who the original owner of the name was in darkfall 1.0 and acted appropriately IMO.

The only reasons I can see for even attmepting to steal the name are to steal the fame associated with it or deny it to the person who mad eit so or for a joke knowing it would be reversed eventually.In all cases I see no fault in restoring it to the originator.Though it should of been handled privately and taking it public is indeed a tad whiney but not as whiney as the OP of this thread.

• rusmurfrusmurf Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Celiah is a known gold seller, and AV restored his name....
  • dooneydooney Member Posts: 69

what?

that feature was put in place so that vets (you know, those guys who have been supporting the game since release) can secure their old names.