Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I don't like this game, but I want to!

KanylKanyl Member UncommonPosts: 252

Hey! First of all, I am not trolling or trying to make this game look bad. I just want to solve a problem and listen to others experience. So, here we go:

I bought the game for 2 weeks ago, made a character and played for a while. After one hour, I quit the game and didn't feel happy at all. The music in the menu was kinda "dark" toned and also the characters and the atmosphere around the Templar area. I do like the style, but it feels like there is a dark shadow resting over the art in the game. Well, the graphics are amazing, but still they make me "depressed"....?

The class choise was hard, since I don't know how the end game will be. I had to make several characters to try out all the classes and make the same quests again, which made it booring! Speccing was also hard to understand, even when following a guide and it did not make sense to me, what I should spec or how to make it as fun as possible for me.

The server I played on (Arcadia) was empty and very quiet. This and the "instanced" areas, made the game feel like an singeplayer game. 

For me, it was just a nightmare to play the game, even if it might be a good one, and so on. I don't know why this hit me so hard, because I do want to like it! I have the game and I want to play it, but after my experience, I also feel like I don't want to. I am a fantasy lover and that may be the problem?

So, is the game much better at higher levels? How can I solve this problem? Dump the game or force myself to play it for several hours?  ;)

Comments

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    You went wrong making multiple characters.

It's quicker to stick with one and just learn the skills you wanted on that one.

Tsw works differently to other mmos, you earn skills quicker the further you are into the game.

Never reroll.
  • UnojcUnojc Member Posts: 29
    Not liking something is ok. I've done it plenty of times, most recent being gw2. It's good you gave it an honest shot though as we all have our own tastes.
  • VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897

sounds like ypu genuinely dont enjoy it. why do you want to enjoy it so? the setting and story?

i struggle with enjoying the combat and finding a mix between surviving and effectivley killing. i also have a hard time with those spider like mobs that charge. just too many of them in too many zones, it gets very old and i just got burned out fighting through 2 maps of them

*edit* im on arcadia also. since f2p its very busy now so that wont be an issue

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163

Yeah, don't worry if the game theme isn't for you -- what's right for some might not be for others.  I find that I like to play TSW in small doses, just doing a few things at a time and soaking up the atmosphere.  It really does have a completely different flavor than other MMOs, and lots of people take their time going through everything.  Now that there's no sub, no need to rush at all.  It's also a lot more busy these days on Arcadia.  :)

Still, if you feel depressed playing it, I'd say take on a cheerier game, or play TSW on the side.  The main thing is to do what's right for you, and have fun.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

Op:

Seriously, play one of the thousand themepark MMO set in happy fantasyland, collecting candybars or chicken eggs.

This is neither a game for creating alts, nor are there any "classes". 

If a gritty Lovecraftian setting "depresses" you, play a Panda or Asura in a rated T game like gw2 or wow.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

to OP; sry but you are started  playing this game in  wrong way   .

TSW is without any limitations for one single toon,just play ,learn ,choice what is good for your gameplay ,keep in backup different builds....

I am playing on Arcadia from start,server is  high population in anytime.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Theres actually a lot of humour in tsw
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by Ortwig

Yeah, don't worry if the game theme isn't for you -- what's right for some might not be for others.  I find that I like to play TSW in small doses, just doing a few things at a time and soaking up the atmosphere.  It really does have a completely different flavor than other MMOs, and lots of people take their time going through everything.  Now that there's no sub, no need to rush at all.  It's also a lot more busy these days on Arcadia.  :)

Still, if you feel depressed playing it, I'd say take on a cheerier game, or play TSW on the side.  The main thing is to do what's right for you, and have fun.

I agree.  OP there are countless happy rainbow cartoon fantasy games out there that should be right up your alley.  I love being back and messing around with the skill wheel and almost infinite builds I can come up with.  Not to mention the setting is really badass and unique for the genre.

I actually even like the combat as it feels actiony with the wild button mashing and doing everything on the run.  Having almost no effective CC makes you really pay attention so that you don't get adds.

OP maybe once you give the skill wheel some more time you will figure out how to make some builds.  The sense of accomplishment of making a good original build is one of the highlights of the game even if you don't love the combat or setting.  

Edit: Also as others above me have stated, don't make alts, there's no point.

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Theres actually a lot of humour in tsw

Definitely.  This one always cheers me up!  :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzVRMculJq8

• KanylKanyl Member UncommonPosts: 252

Thanks for all the answears! 

I have played like every mmorpg's out there, so I have plenty of "cute-looking-candy-games" to play. The real reason why I want to like this game, is because the myths, legends and so on - would be awesome to know and learn about. Also, I do love mmorpgs and being social with others AND I wanted to try something new, beside fantasy titles. But...I guess fantasy is the way to go anyway?

I will give this game a secon try and I will just put all my energy on one character. I guess that everything will make more sense if I just keep playing and a lot more fun, when I understand. I have heard so much good about this game and not playing it now, when it's B2P, would be a shame. 

See you in-game! :)

• rochristrochrist Member UncommonPosts: 134

Good job. Keep in mind that the skill points keep coming, and thus there is no permanent gimping of your character.  There are many players who've completed the entire skill wheel.

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

New player of TSW here.

Let me get this straight, it is possible for a single character to learn all skill from all weapons?  So you can be a healer,and if you like switch to a tank or dps class if you want, without re-rolling?

• TheYear1500TheYear1500 Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Originally posted by Maephisto

New player of TSW here.

Let me get this straight, it is possible for a single character to learn all skill from all weapons?  So you can be a healer,and if you like switch to a tank or dps class if you want, without re-rolling?

yes

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Originally posted by Maephisto

New player of TSW here.

Yes and everything between those roles. You can choose skills you want and match with appropriate gear. You can play either dps, tank or healer or have s rurvival build to fight with a bunch of hard mobs. I know it takes some time to dig into all those skills but there are many sites with viable builds so I would suggest to check some of those.

• MyTabbycatMyTabbycat Member UncommonPosts: 316

Just play the game for the story and you won't have to worry about what you spec as at endgame. Just unlock whatever looks like fun to you. I don't think there is a limit anyway as the quests seem to be repeatable with a lockout timer. Seems like it takes a few days to get used to the feel of the game. It's not a bad game. The story is actually quite good as far as I've gotten into it anyway. Just think Resident Evil and you are good to go.

Come over to Laviathan (RP). Plenty of people in the newbie zones.

Originally posted by Kanyl

I have played like every mmorpg's out there, so I have plenty of "cute-looking-candy-games" to play. The real reason why I want to like this game, is because the myths, legends and so on - would be awesome to know and learn about. Also, I do love mmorpgs and being social with others AND I wanted to try something new, beside fantasy titles. But...I guess fantasy is the way to go anyway?

I will give this game a secon try and I will just put all my energy on one character. I guess that everything will make more sense if I just keep playing and a lot more fun, when I understand. I have heard so much good about this game and not playing it now, when it's B2P, would be a shame. 

That's the spirit!  It always helps to find some in-game friends.  Ping or /tell some people in general chat (we're generally pretty friendly), check out some RP, join a cabal, group up with a few people running around.  There's a good community on TSW, and I think it makes a big difference in enjoyment of the game.

• FaelsunFaelsun Member UncommonPosts: 501
    I like the games concept and really like skill system  a lot, but I just hate that the game is so PVE centric. If I didn't have to do dungeons to progress and had some pvp outlet I would play, god knows it has to be more in debth than GW2.
  • GR3NDELGR3NDEL Member UncommonPosts: 112
    Originally posted by Kanyl

I think this is a good attitude to have. :)  How TSW's AP/SP works, along with the Skills and Ability Wheel, can be pretty confusing - you really have to pay attention to what your trainer is telling you.  On Huldra, I've chatted with several new players who approached me wanting to know how I could fire a shotgun and throw elemental attacks around.  Turns out they only trained in one skill - didn't even catch the part where our characters have two separate skillsets.  Not a problem though - I was happy to show folks how stuff worked and answer their questions.  Made some pretty cool new friends that way. 

As far as mood - yeah TSW's environment can be depressing... which to me, is a testament to Ragnar, John & Co.  But I also agree that there's a lot of humor in TSW; dark and cynical humor, but humor nonetheless.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

I got a game two days ago and I agree with OP,  very depressing feelings while playing it...

I appreciate also all comments from players here...  I might take it in slow doses as you advise as well... playing it anyway as a second MMO for a story, and  meanwhile I am going to practice dark side of the force in SWTOR so I can handle TSW LOL.

Question: templar or Illuminati path... which one is on the lighter side of the force?  /grin

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• KanylKanyl Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

I got a game two days ago and I agree with OP,  very depressing feelings while playing it...

I appreciate also all comments from players here...  I might take it in slow doses as you advise as well... playing it anyway as a second MMO for a story, and  meanwhile I am going to practice dark side of the force in SWTOR so I can handle TSW LOL.

Question: templar or Illuminati path... which one is on the lighter side of the force?  /grin

High five, I am not alone!

You want to go with Templars, they are like Knights in stories, the heroes! 

PS: Don't join the darkside, or I will crush you! (Yes, I am a Jedi Counsler in SWTOR....) Also, you ARE cute! :)

Originally posted by Faelsun
    I like the games concept and really like skill system  a lot, but I just hate that the game is so PVE centric. If I didn't have to do dungeons to progress and had some pvp outlet I would play, god knows it has to be more in debth than GW2.

Give Fusang a shot.  It's actually balanced now, so should be good for some 3-way matches.

• GR3NDELGR3NDEL Member UncommonPosts: 112

The Templar motto:  Deliver us from Evil.

The Illuminati motto:  Sex, Drugs and Rockefeller.

That pretty much answers your question.  image

• patrynspatryns Member UncommonPosts: 81

Give Fusang a shot.  It's actually balanced now, so should be good for some 3-way matches.

Fusang Projects is not balance now, even the raid window is still broken well at least for the Dragons.  I started in beta and bought lifetime sub.  Buy the game more for the PvE and concept, not for the PVP.  PVP was an after thought for TSW.  No matter what the people are telling you, you have to like the story line and puzzles or you are going to get bored.  

This game is not like DAOC and it does have a lot of single instant base quest.  Just make one toon and you can learn the skill and spell wheel.  

At the moment if you do PVP the  Illuminati control Fusang Projects,  you would think they would get bored and let the other factions get point but then again they do have implants which tamper with their brain cells making them brain dead!

Originally posted by patryns

Fusang Projects is not balance now, even the raid window is still broken well at least for the Dragons.  I started in beta and bought lifetime sub.  Buy the game more for the PvE and concept, not for the PVP.  PVP was an after thought for TSW.  No matter what the people are telling you, you have to like the story line and puzzles or you are going to get bored.  

This game is not like DAOC and it does have a lot of single instant base quest.  Just make one toon and you can learn the skill and spell wheel.  

At the moment if you do PVP the  Illuminati control Fusang Projects,  you would think they would get bored and let the other factions get point but then again they do have implants which tamper with their brain cells making them brain dead!

Have you played since 1.5 hit?

• CryseydeCryseyde Member Posts: 70

I would say the difference is in your 'handlers' - Kristin Geary (Illuminati) has a snarky cutting wit. She often closes her messages to you with her "fun facts" like the one indicating that Solomon Island's projected losses to Fog was 98%. Richard Sonnac has a more dry humour (sic), more of a rapier than an edge. I think the Illuminati are, in general, funnier. I still have a place in my heart for Mr. Sonnac. Sometimes you'll deal with some higher ranking members. In general, for humor I'd vote 'Lumie every time - I have literally laughed out loud at some of the things they've said. But my main wants to BE Dame Julia when she grows up. YMMV.

OP, I'd recommend a few things for getting through kingsmouth - first, whatever weapons you decide to try first take the fist 1 point passive Lick Your Wounds. You can use passives from any weapon, and this one may not look like much but starting out it's just that tiny bit of help and one point is a tiny commitment. The second recommendation I have is to tweak your brightness up a tiny bit. Not a lot, or things will look weird, but a little. I definitely had a sense of doom and gloom before I did that for myself and it helped a ton. I nearly blinded myself coming out of Agartha into Egypt the first time, but you can readjust then.

Gearing can be confusing to newcomers. There's three types of gear. Healing gear is obvious, but green dps and tank gear both have health and damage stats. If you're soloing, you want the highest damage gear you can find - green gear always has health so don't worry about  finding tank-specific gear. Maybe one piece but certainly not too many or you can gimp yourself and end up overwhelmed.

As for feeling alone, it's possible. TSW's shard technology might mean that the last shard was full and you zoned into a new one - a mostly empty one. However, your general and LFG chats are zone wide and your faction chat is region-wide. Don't be embarassed to ask if anyone wants to group up for missions. It's an MMO! Social is in the nature of it.