Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMOs that will stay around

JakeSimJakeSim Member RarePosts: 883
Hey all, with mmos closing down all the time it kind of leaves me considering to even play some. So, what are the MMOs out that are LEAST likely to close down?
Please come check out my stream. All the love is appreciated! 

TWITCH: @JakeSimTV

Comments

• JakeSimJakeSim Member RarePosts: 883

Anyone please?

Like for example, with Planetside 2. It's ran by SoE and I've heard things about them so might be scared somewhat to play it.

• ExzearExzear Member UncommonPosts: 65
    well there is not a big chance of ps2 closing down, ps1 went on for ages.. and i think ps2 will do the same.. i would recomend darkfall uw.. you can find it here on on darkfallonline.com and same thing there that game have been running for afew years but recently went downt o release a new game darkfall 2.0 aka unholywars which is a new version of the game and i dont think that will go away anytime soon either bro... and if you like simple mmos like the most out there then WoW is a pretty safe bet!

Youtube.com/TheNorseGamer

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    MMO's closing down all the time? Pick one at random in the list of playable MMO's and the chance is low that you will pick one that will shut down any time soon.
  • WoopinWoopin Member UncommonPosts: 1,012
    Originally posted by Tidel

Anyone please?

Like for example, with Planetside 2. It's ran by SoE and I've heard things about them so might be scared somewhat to play it.

Planetside is still going. So pretty sure Planetside 2 will not close down the massive pops alone are still going strong.

• Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775
    Go play EVE, it's a safe bet + it's really well made and a LOVING COMMUNITY who will take great care of you! )))
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    So, what are the MMOs out that are LEAST likely to close down?

"not closed down" or "actively supported"?  Different fish-kettles.

SOE & Vanguard (historical rather than current example).

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• Dantae87Dantae87 Member Posts: 166
    Originally posted by Robokapp

EVE is titanic in this sense. they experienced growth constantly in the past nearly a decade.

look at that dark blue line...

wich is sad EVE is the biggest POS game i ever played and i played Runescape....

• ezpz77ezpz77 Member Posts: 227

well...perhaps this is why.

EVE tried less than others to 'be everything for everyone'. so for many is a pos, for a few it's great. Far more players hate eve than those who like it.

but there's no reason one single meta-mmo must be IT for everyone. not even WoW couldn't achieve that.

as we put more years under our MMO belts, we are naturally going to want more specialized mmo's. Some will want EVE, others Minecraft, others a MMOFPS, others a dodge and swing in real time hack and slash mmo and so on.

this specialization is inevitable. the millions that were introduced to MMOs by wow and its general approach, will slowly move on to a game that directly appeals to them. And then we'll see a lot of small but persistent MMOs, in the sense that won't lunch today, F2P in 6 months, shutdown in 12 months, rebirth in 2 years death in 4.

it's ok to hate eve, just admire the fact that it established itself as a game that dealt with a clearly defined particular audience, which is small but stable to do business with. A non-pos mmo with the same business ideals will come along - probably from an indie.

This is an excellent post. I wish more people saw the genre the way you do (including developers and investors.)

• BoardwalkerBoardwalker Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Originally posted by Dantae87

wich is sad EVE is the biggest POS game i ever played and i played Runescape....

Such a silly willy!

EVE rocks and will be around for a long, long time. Look me up ingame and I'll help get you started. It is truly an amazing MMORPG.

They can adjust a game all day, but they can't help the issue between the keyboard and the chair.
    Played: UO, DAoC, AC, WoW, EVE, TR, WAR, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, GW2, TSW, ESO, Elite:D
    Play EVE for free for 21 days

Far more players hate eve than those who like it.

This statement is also true for every MMORPG except maybe WoW.

They can adjust a game all day, but they can't help the issue between the keyboard and the chair.
    Played: UO, DAoC, AC, WoW, EVE, TR, WAR, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, GW2, TSW, ESO, Elite:D

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509
    Hey all, with mmos closing down all the time it kind of leaves me considering to even play some. So, what are the MMOs out that are LEAST likely to close down?

What you are descrbing is that the MMO market is being saturated by DEV's that want a piece of the pie. It is very easy to make money in the MMO market if you have the right formula that is, For example many many companies came out with WoW rip off just to ride the coat tail of WoW and I would have to say that This style of game play will contenue to be avenue DEVs will use until anouther game comes along and knocks the MMO giant off its mountian. Gamers want despertly a new style of a MMO that does not follow WoW but I personaly do not see this happening anytime soon. So Get use to the idea of many more MMO's to contenue to close down until something new is presented to us in a very epic way.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

well...perhaps this is why.

EVE tried less than others to 'be everything for everyone'. so for many is a pos, for a few it's great. Far more players hate eve than those who like it.

but there's no reason one single meta-mmo must be IT for everyone. not even WoW couldn't achieve that.

as we put more years under our MMO belts, we are naturally going to want more specialized mmo's. Some will want EVE, others Minecraft, others a MMOFPS, others a dodge and swing in real time hack and slash mmo and so on.

this specialization is inevitable. the millions that were introduced to MMOs by wow and its general approach, will slowly move on to a game that directly appeals to them. And then we'll see a lot of small but persistent MMOs, in the sense that won't lunch today, F2P in 6 months, shutdown in 12 months, rebirth in 2 years death in 4.

it's ok to hate eve, just admire the fact that it established itself as a game that dealt with a clearly defined particular audience, which is small but stable to do business with. A non-pos mmo with the same business ideals will come along - probably from an indie.

Well said!

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Originally posted by Isturi

...Gamers want despertly a new style of a MMO that does not follow WoW...

Maybe this applies only to the jaded gamers on this site. There are far more people who are just fine with other games following in the style of WoW. I think sometimes the people here all suffer from an acute myopic view of MMORPGs.

Originally posted by Boardwalker

Maybe this applies only to the jaded gamers on this site. There are far more people who are just fine with other games following in the style of WoW. I think sometimes the people here all suffer from an acute myopic view of MMORPGs.

I don't conceder myself as Jaded. I find many MMO's to be fun and intreasting. WoW was just an example. All MMO's have one thing or anouther thing in common with WoW even EVE after all you take on quest to lvl up to a point of were you have to join a CORP i.e. Guild in order to get anywere in the game that leads to endgame devolpment. Sounds fimilar eh?

Until a gaming companie can break this cycle of game play in the MMO market and give us the gamer a game that will knock our socks off. Gaming companies will contentue to close down. No question about it.

I do have hope in Defiance since it is the first x-over with a major network station that will prestent it as a T.V. show to boot. I trurly hope that this new style will indeed knock our socks off as far as raising the bar in the MMO market. Also I feel WildStar will be one to keep a eye on. But I will reserve any kind of opionion on these games until I personaly play them. I feel honesty is the best policy.

All MMO's have one thing or anouther thing in common with WoW even EVE after all you take on quest to lvl up to a point of were you have to join a CORP i.e. Guild in order to get anywere in the game that leads to endgame devolpment. Sounds fimilar eh?

Not sure if you're trolling here with this comment, or just making a point that MMORPGs have features in common, but you realize that EVE came out *before* WoW, along with a number of other titles like UO, AO, DAoC, EQ, etc., right?

WoW borrowed from them, and then games borrowed from WoW. In other words, WoW is far from being the "first MMO".

• JakeSimJakeSim Member RarePosts: 883
    Thanks all.

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885

Anyone please?

SOE has some of the longest running mmo's in the industry, don't always belive what you heard. Prime example is The Secret World and how many people slagged it off without playing it. Now it gone B2P and many of them have bought the game for knock down prices and actually played the game, now they say it's a great game.

• IczerIczer Member UncommonPosts: 116
    I have to agree that EVE will be around for a long long time. The future vision CCP has for the game extends far into the future, both for technological reasons as well as the sheer ammount of ideas the team has to implement.
  • KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

Anyone please?

Unlikely they'll close it down.  More likely they won't do enough about the cheats, hacks, bugs, etc and the population will die down to a few  thousand(or less) and it'll limp along like that for as long as possible.

Which begs the question.  Does 'still around' also require a game to have a reasonable poopulation and if so what do you consider reasonable? 

All MMO's have one thing or anouther thing in common with WoW even EVE after all you take on quest to lvl up to a point of were you have to join a CORP i.e. Guild in order to get anywere in the game that leads to endgame devolpment. Sounds fimilar eh?

Not sure if you're trolling here with this comment, or just making a point that MMORPGs have features in common, but you realize that EVE came out *before* WoW, along with a number of other titles like UO, AO, DAoC, EQ, etc., right?

WoW borrowed from them, and then games borrowed from WoW. In other words, WoW is far from being the "first MMO".

Well yes very true EVE did come out before so it seems that you want to use that as a point well OK np EVE came out in May of  '03 while WoW came out of Nov of '04 so it seems you want to use the point then what is commonly called the Vanilla era of a game. For that matter yes you are also right UO,AO,DAoC and prob the best example would be EQ as to wich all these titles lost thier player base to WoW over the years because WoW did indeed barrow from the best improved and now the formula a few years later is that ppl still play WoW and DEV's see this as a fact. Lets face it they dont make clone games of EQ,  UO, AODAoC or even EVE today because these games are not as successful as WoW.

Oh I never did say that WoW was the first MMO. Like I keep saing until the formula changes companies will ride WoW's coat tail for a few then die. Problem is that these fly by night companies dont care they made there million they are set they gave us a WoW rip off and we bought it. They go away. End of story.

• btraillbtraill Member UncommonPosts: 97

You guys derailed the hell out of this thread.

gg.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
         Really you need to pick a MMO because you enjoy the game, not because you think it will last......
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I think planetside 2 will be around for a good while, because its the only mmofps out there. It's also the most recent full on rvr game. Ok firefall will be a mmofps too, but its pve orientated with wow style grind mini games for tokens type pvp, so a different market.

The games in danger are those that are just a watered down version of an existing game, e.g. how swtor Is to wow.

If you look at the games that have lasted a long time like eve or EQ its because they offer something different that can't be found elsewhere.
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072

Robokapp: your graph might be more convincing if the most recent entry wasn't over five years old.

Vendetta Online has been out for over 10 years, and has also experienced continual growth (fun with search trends; caveat lector).  Compare this to, say, a game like Ryzom or A Tale In The Desert.

edit: Vendetta is also made by a team of 4

edit2: nvm: I see you have to scroll right to get the rest of Rk's graph.  Nonetheless, the principle of caveat lector applies; graphs can be used to prove just about anything.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• btraillbtraill Member UncommonPosts: 97

Im thoroughly enjoying Runescape since an American company fed them a ton of money... There have been some great quality updates recently, including the new Port/Sailing aspect of the game. You control ships and send them off with crews (can be customized for stats to better the chance of being sucsessful) for rewards.