Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

why do people claim this game is best for pvp?

Comments

• luclinraiderluclinraider Member UncommonPosts: 96

I dont know of anyone who thinks GW2 is the best PvP.  If you do....then you clearly have very little experience in MMO PvP.

Is it the worst? No......but not even near the top.

• Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775
    PVP is boring and mindlessly zerging in GW2.
  • austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618
    Originally posted by Rimmersman
    Originally posted by austriacus
    Originally posted by PaRoXiTiC

Simply becuase this game is best for PvP

Only game with better PvP is Knight Online World and that can be argued.

Really! perhaps you need to have a read of this before you claim GW2 is the best PVP game around, GW2 PvP is near on meaningless .

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5454980#5454980

I know its really hard for you sandboxers to understand, but a lot of us are not interested in warfare and castles.

We just want a controlled match were we can outskill people if we can.

You dont see people asking for permanent impact on the world of counter strike or dota.

Who said the game's just about warfare and castle, i can PvP in a controlled matches and outskill people if i want as well.

So your point is mute because any type of PVP you can do in GW2 i can do in AOW and more. On top of that GW2 PvP is near on meaningless and just a repetitive bore.

Oh? So you get to max stat in AOW when you pvp with someone else? Even if that were the case ive seen the gameplay, its not half as polished as Gw2 and the atack system quite frankly while original seems extremely boring.

Also PvP doesnt have to have a meaning thats the whole point thats why i Pvp, i only pvp to be better. Nothing you do in a game is meaningfull no matter what systems you implement in my opinion.

Also it might seem repetitive to you but its no different from LoL or any competitive pvp game, do i have to tell you which is the most popular game right now?

But carry on, keep promoting your niche game.

Originally posted by hikaru77
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Let me be clear.

While I think planetside 2 and eve have better pvp.

Gw2 pvp is still good and Is vastly superior to what constitutes pvp in wow and even more so its clones like swtor & rift.

No, GW2 have the worst Spvp system on the market, even GW1 is better, dont know maybe a few month it will be better, but now, is just Bad, too casual, too easy, and an spam fest where teamplay or competitive pvp is not part of the game. 

LoL is the most casual and easy game on existence and look where it is now.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Let me be clear.

Gw2 pvp is still good and Is vastly superior to what constitutes pvp in wow and even more so its clones like swtor & rift.

No, GW2 have the worst Spvp system on the market, even GW1 is better, dont know maybe a few month it will be better, but now, is just Bad, too casual, too easy, and an spam fest where teamplay or competitive pvp is not part of the game. 

LoL is not casual and is competitive PvP, GW2 is not.  

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Let me be clear.

Not sure how you would know ...you have posted before you haven't played since day 15 . I think the pvp is well balanced and as hard core as you want to make it ...I think the casual folks are the dead ones is that how you found it ?

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    Originally posted by Icewhite

So your point is mute because...

No point has ever been mute.  Deaf, sometimes.  Blind, oh yes.

lol.. nice.

Just in case there's someone out there that would like to better themselves (I know it's becoming exceedingly rare), here you go. 

http://ask.reference.com/web?q=What%20Is%20the%20Difference%20between%20Mute%20and%20Moot&o=100100

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Really! perhaps you need to have a read of this before you claim GW2 is the best PVP game around, GW2 PvP is near on meaningless .

Maybe his opinion is based on his own experiences instead of what others have to say about it, something i can advise more then half the posters in this thread.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Let me be clear.

So what are the 10million players that play 1-2 games a day? hardcore? It is casual by any stretch, not to mention exceedingly easier  to grasp and get into than its peers.

A competitive scene doesnt dictate if a pvp game is casual or not, its the complexity of the systems and the time required to get a grasp of the basic gameplay that say so. Both LoL and GW2 are easy games to pick and grasp, but hard to master.

• HefaistosHefaistos Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Originally posted by stygianapoth

pvp in this game is just a mindless 5 man zerg for 1 of 3 points. it doesn't matter what build or character you have, it matters if you can out number the opposing factions and keep the nodes.

on top of that, there is no progression or accomplishment. gw2 offers no rewards whatsoever for being "good"

i quit after a week when the game came out because of the above points. if there is nothing to accomplish, what is the point of playing? especially when it all boils down to zerging.

maybe they havent played any pvp games before? or just wow ?

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Simply becuase this game is best for PvP Only game with better PvP is Knight Online World and that can be argued.

Maybe his opinion is based on his own experiences instead of what others have to say about it, something i can advise more then half the posters in this thread.

My opinion is based on my own experience having played both games. GW2 has the most mindless, boring, near pointless PvP in any MMO on the market today.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

pvp in this game is just a mindless 5 man zerg for 1 of 3 points. it doesn't matter what build or character you have, it matters if you can out number the opposing factions and keep the nodes.

It would seem that way to an unorganised pvp noob, but it is not the case. 

on top of that, there is no progression or accomplishment. gw2 offers no rewards whatsoever for being "good"

The rewards for being good will come from the official tournaments.  They are tweaking the class balance before starting these.

i quit after a week when the game came out because of the above points. if there is nothing to accomplish, what is the point of playing? especially when it all boils down to zerging.

It doesn't boil down to zerging, but if you want PvP to be about gear like in WoW then it isn't the right game for you.

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

and you came now after 3 months ?

try to play at least free tournaments at this moment, you can join even solo and there you will find also premade teams ... then come again .

• SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836
    My opinion is based on my own experience having played both games. GW2 has the most mindless, boring, near pointless PvP in any MMO on the market today.

And with no descriptive reasoning, explanation or evidence to back up your opinion, we have a clear winner of the thread here everybody. 

• steelrain666steelrain666 Member UncommonPosts: 140
    Get a group of your friends together and play some tournaments, it is a fun time chatting with your buddys on skype and doing some pvp to pass the time. 
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    WvW - better than wintergrasp, ilum in swtor (lol), fusang in tsw. Slightly better than warhammer and aion. Not as good as daoc or either planetside.

Spvp - better than wow, swtor & rift battlegrounds, about the same as war scenarios, not as good as gw1

Ffa pvp - doesn't have it, but then its usually shite in themepark mmos anyway e.g. wow. Sandboxes like eve and df do this best.
  • SereliskSerelisk Member Posts: 836

I think people should take Shaky's example and distinguish between the types of PvP you're referring to or we're going to miss the bus to constructive debate. 

For example: Arena-type PvP and World PvP are incomparables but still fall under the broad term of PvP. 

With the exception of activities like Snowball fighting and Keg Brawl, I suck in GW2's structured PvP so I haven't experienced it enough to comment. >.<

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

I like how the link you posted has like 5 comments. Shows how great that games pvp is...

• Inti619Inti619 Member Posts: 1

Different PvP games cater to different players. If you dont know the types and subtypes ie; FFA, Loot drop/non, Open World, Instanced, RvR, Balanced, player based economies, and so on.

Going back to Ultima Online and before that text based games like Space Merchant, you should know that every person has their niche. Now days games are catered to more casual gamers (WoW, LoL, Rift, Diablo 3), that isn't an insult its just a business decision. Hopefully in the future some of us hardcore pvper's can find a real home because the fact is that I feel that I don't have one. Last two would have to have been DAOC(2004 RIP) and EVE (2008 RIP), this is just my honest opinion.

Guild Wars 2 would be just that an option that seems to try and bridge PvP and Casual PvP, and I can respect that.

As to people complaining about hacks and cheats, all I gotta say is get better. I have been one of the best in any game I've ever played and yes that includes me beating cheaters and hackers. Planetside 2 as an example since its recent, I was number one for weeks during the CB and OB. Yes there were hackers and aim botters, but they can only aim as good as you can get and they definitely cannot hack a brain. Here is why some of us including myself love PVP, the situations are unlimited and the solutions are infinite as well. 

And to those that think that classes or builds or gear have anything to do with winning in any game that is semi balanced, I have to say I usually play healer or support classes which until recently were always passive and not geared for fighting 1 on 1 or say 2-3 or 10 on 1, but strategy/patience/execution is what sets things in stone. I have also taken off my gear in almost every game and beat fully geared opponents as well. 

You win some you lose some, but you always gain experience.

www.addictguild.com

Blood in Blood out

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

Try a tournament, or better yet, a payed tourney (typically called tPvP). The basic hot-joinable sPvP matches are generally lower-skill, with just casual or semi-hardcore PvPers. Teams do not require little teamwork, or specific builds or meta. However in tournaments and especially payed tourneys, the skill level, the teamwork the meta is significantly higher. To the point that yes, this game does have the best PvP in the genre (by a long shot IMHO).

I must say I'm not entirely sure you played much of the game at all.. if at all. I say this for several reasons. First, you mention fighting other factions (which I highlighted). The game has no factions, and it's immediately obvious the moment you create a character.

If you speak the truth and you quite after the first week the game was out I suggest trying it again. The PvP has come a long way, there have been a number of great improvements, not to mention new sPvP maps. As to the 'there are no rewards' thing, the devs have actively said they want to do something about that. Though I wouldn't expect anything that will make you statistically more powerful than others. That just isn't the way this game works.

• Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775
    Tbh Fion I think GW2s pvp is lacking, it's not especially popular when it comes to comp pvp and the open world is clearly lacking. While popularity is not something that says it's good or bad it's and indicator in the gaming world that a project is healthy or not.
  • FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348
    It doesn't have open world PvP, thats true. They clearly decided against that but certainly some folks prefer it. But as far as structured team tournament PvP, there is no competition IMHO. I also think their server vs server PvP is the current best, though it also needs some serious attention and fixes.

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    I say gw2 pvp is very good for what it is. Once they give it the esportnneccesities, it will easily have the best pvp out there. Of course balance is an issue as well. But that is a constant thing.
  • shawn01shawn01 Member UncommonPosts: 166

After playing DAoC for years, and every AAA mmo since, i have to say the pvp in GW2 is not very good. The PvP zones are too small. There is no real reason for doing anything. They need to award Karma for killing people. The giant red names that appear through solid objects need to go. Add /stick and /face.

Agree with others who say the pvp in GW1 was much better. Was hoping for that kind of experience in this game, sadly it's no good. The PVE is pretty fun for a while though.

• stygianapothstygianapoth Member UncommonPosts: 185
    Originally posted by korent1991

but it does offer you progression... you level up, just like you would level up in PvE (but here you get PvP levels), you get better looking gear

like i said, no progression.