Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you play an MMO that didn't have jumping in it?

Comments

• JaggaSpikesJaggaSpikes Member UncommonPosts: 430
    depends. of course, assuming individual character control (i.e. EVE doesn't count): if 2D, maybe. if 3D, no. also, if it's 2D game "masquerading" as 3D, no.
  • evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118
    Originally posted by XAPGames

I don't mind not having jumping, but I would prefer to have it.

GW1 doesn't have jumping and I was fine with it.

^^This

....although GW1 had /jump....  LOL

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• Inf666Inf666 Member UncommonPosts: 513

Most likely not.

I need freedom of movement in my games. No jumping makes me feel constricted.

Also if a game has no jumping in most cases it has a lot of other restrictions too: invisible walls, no falling down cliffs, no ducking, basically no 3D content.

---
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Sure. Very few MMOs do anything with it anyway.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Err eve
  • KroxMalonKroxMalon Member UncommonPosts: 608
    Enjoyed Guild wars and FF14, both without jumping.
  • SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Why would I want to play an MMO without jumping in the year of 2012?
  • DomotoDomoto Member UncommonPosts: 82
    Originally posted by ironhelix
    WTF is people's obsession with jumping? if the game is designed without it, then why is it necessary? If there is no reason to ever do it, then wo the FUCK cares if it's there or not? It's not like there are games out there with elaborate jumping puzzles, and NO jumping ability, so what the hell is the problem? Do people feel cheated that they can't sit and bash the spacebar over and over again to see their toon leap into the air? This strikes me as the equivalent of a retard drooling all over himself as he plays with a piece of string or something.

Were your parents killed in a tragic jumping accident or something? O_o

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469

dont care if has jumping, day-night circle, shitting or laying

all those come in 4th- from what i seek from an MMO

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    I wrote a few lengthy posts on this topic in this thread, if you care to read them.  Short answer, probably not nowadays.  I find a certain level of environment interaction to be essential.  
  • xeniarxeniar Member UncommonPosts: 805
    not being able to jump limits you worlds tremendously.
  • L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065
    Depends on how the MMO is designed. I wouldn't mind no jumping, as long as it allows me to climb/pass over things like an incline of less than 45 degrees or walls a few centimeters high (GW1 was guilty of this sometimes)

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

No jumping is like going back to black and white TV.

You can still enjoy what you are seeing but it's not the same experience ;)

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

GW1 and Lineage 2 are two titles I enjoyed for a time, but the lack of jumping was an annoyance.

I'm not a fan of bunny hopping in combat, I prefer the player get locked down somewhat to execute his combat maneuvers, (a la DAOC) but that's probably because I lack the hand/eye coordination to excel at the former.

While I confess enjoying just jumping for no damn reason, did it a lot as I did the long runs in WOW before I got my mounts, I really like it for the freedom it offers.  I hate running through a game world and can't jump over the smallest rock, log or fence, or even off a cliff if I so chose. (really hated the artificial pathing in GW1)

So I might play an MMORPG today if it had no jumping, but it wouldn't be my preference.

In the case of Ryzom, the lack of jumping had nothing to do with my dislike of the title, it was the ghost world I found myself in when trying out the starter areas, never managed to connect with other players and I don't enjoy single player games anymore.image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• eldariseldaris Member UncommonPosts: 353

No,it was one of the things which annoyed me the most in guild wars 1 (beside the world being an instance outside towns). I find lack of jumping annoying even in single player games like Dragon Age,and in mmos is much worse,it limits your character,exploration and makes combat slow and boring without adding anything good to gameplay .

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

The anet devs got their revenge on the 'omg no jumping' complainers.

"Here you go: Now donkey-kong style jumping puzzles (just like the Grinders!) are a major part of the game that you all must endure."

I would assume, every time they see a post complaining about too many/too hard jumping puzzles, they now laugh their rocks off.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Okay mmorpg.com, un-funny.  Behave!

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Deewe

No jumping is like going back to black and white TV.

Jumping is one of the many odd criteria resulting from the preconception of what a modern MMO needs to have. Hopefully this thread helps some better understand the answer to the Us or Them thread. If players make it clear they wouldn't touch a game without certain arbitrary features, the devs will put them in, even if they have to change some of the game to make it work. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• calranthecalranthe Member UncommonPosts: 359

My uncle once came over to visit while I was playing Counter strike, he was quite intently watching and commenting on the guns and game mechanics having a background in the army and then he saw someone on the opposing team start to bunny hop and he just could not stop laughing.

When I tried to explain the basic tactics of the move he said "its a pity that looked like quite an interesting combat simulation but that all went out the window when I saw them bouncing like zebidee".

Ever since then even in mmo's when I see the people who run about jumping up and down it just makes me laugh.

• IczerIczer Member UncommonPosts: 116
    Yes I would play a game that had no jumping. For me the lack of jumping in a game would bever be a deciding factor.
  • FallguyArmyFallguyArmy Member Posts: 80

Considering that a majority of MMORPGs are still tab-targeting, I don't even see the reason for jumping. In fact, I find it hilarious when people jump in these tab-targeting games, especially during PvP, because it shouldn't matter. You're locked on, if you're within range you're gonna get hit regardless if you jump or not. Hell, sometimes you don't even need to be in range because of lag and poor netcode, you'll get hit even if you're a mile away from something.

The only time jumping is viable is if the MMORPG is NON-target and combat requires aiming. Then you can actually evade...

To answer your question, YES, I would still play an MMORPG if it didn't have jumping... but then again, I avoid MMORPGs that use the old system of tab-target anyway.

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Originally posted by Onomas
    Originally posted by Domoto
    Whilst I am not a bunny-hopper, the lack of jumping tends to bother me....I'm not sure why, guess a form of restriction or rather not having access to something I am used to. 

Sounds like you play too many themeparks ;) The story of my gaming life image

A game being a themepark has nothing to do with restrictive features. Rather, a themepark is more about the style of content and theme of the game.

Whether a game has jumping or not is only about the mechanics of the game engine.

That being said, any game that doesn't include jumping is just lazy devs showing their lack of ability imo. Especially given the level of tech these days.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099
    Originally posted by Nitth

Eve doesnt have 'jumping'.

I have to admit that when I was trying the first iteration of walking-in-stations (before my graphics card melted down), this is something I found to be a real itch.  I find that games that are 3-dimensional models anchored to a 2-dimensional surface feel very limited and frustating.  The topology of the map is all different and it feels like my character is walking with sandbags attached to its feet.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    No... it wouldn't though at the same time its a bit silly unless the game style itself doesn't call for it. If your doing a 3D game, put jumping and use it in the game, it makes things more interesting. Isometric games and the like its, just due to have difficult it could be, or anything point and click focused in general.
  • DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    I could of sworn we've ahd this conversation before...or maybe 50 times before during the years but....yes i would as long as there was a clear reason for not having a jump button that added to the gameplay and not because of lazy developement and an unwillingness to design world terrain limitations to accomadate jumping.