Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you play an MMO that didn't have jumping in it?

TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

As title says...

Ryzom is an MMO that does not have jumping. And it seems to deter a lot of people, with the lack of just that one feature...even though the MMO is better than most.

So, would you play an MMO (not just Ryzom, but any other) that did not have jumping included (outside of an emote, if it has one)?

Personally, I like the lack of jumping. After Darkfall and WoW...I got really tired of people bunny hopping everywhere in heavy armor and looking like idiots. Darkfall was REALLY bad for this, even more so than WoW. EVE has "jumping", but well...it isn't jumping :P

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Comments

• DomotoDomoto Member UncommonPosts: 82
    Whilst I am not a bunny-hopper, the lack of jumping tends to bother me....I'm not sure why, guess a form of restriction or rather not having access to something I am used to. 

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    Originally posted by Domoto
    Whilst I am not a bunny-hopper, the lack of jumping tends to bother me....I'm not sure why, guess a form of restriction or rather not having access to something I am used to. 

Sounds like you play too many themeparks ;) The story of my gaming life image

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I don't mind not having jumping, but I would prefer to have it.

GW1 doesn't have jumping and I was fine with it.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by TheScavenger
    As title says... Ryzom is an MMO that does not have jumping. And it seems to deter a lot of people, with the lack of just that one feature...even though the MMO is better than most. So, would you play an MMO (not just Ryzom, but any other) that did not have jumping included (outside of an emote, if it has one)? Personally, I like the lack of jumping. After Darkfall and WoW...I got really tired of people bunny hopping everywhere in heavy armor and looking like idiots. Darkfall was REALLY bad for this, even more so than WoW. EVE has "jumping", but well...it isn't jumping :P

Eve doesnt have 'jumping'.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

Clever mention of Eve having jumping.

I would try one without jumping but no guarantees that I would stay. No jumping is like walling off a lot of exploration opportunities. Without an open and free to roam everywhere world, I wouldn't be very content.

• ironhelixironhelix Member Posts: 448
    WTF is people's obsession with jumping? if the game is designed without it, then why is it necessary? If there is no reason to ever do it, then wo the FUCK cares if it's there or not? It's not like there are games out there with elaborate jumping puzzles, and NO jumping ability, so what the hell is the problem? Do people feel cheated that they can't sit and bash the spacebar over and over again to see their toon leap into the air? This strikes me as the equivalent of a retard drooling all over himself as he plays with a piece of string or something.
  • ezpz77ezpz77 Member Posts: 227

Well, I played FFXI for about five years and I didn't jump a single time, so I guess I would. Having said that, I've played a lot of MMO's since then and prefer to have jumping in my MMO's. The usual argument against it is that it's completely immersion breaking to have a bunch of people bunny hopping, but I find it equally dumb if people are permanently glued to the ground. When this came up in FFXI I always imagine my character saying, "I can shoot fireballs out of my hands and call down glaciers on my enemies, but damn those foot high fences just completely ruin my day!"

The inability to jump is equally as dumb as bunny hopping from an immersion standpoint.

I prefer if jumping has a use at some point in gameplay. For instance, jumping to the platform on the Thaddius fight in WoW or jump-turning while kiting.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

Jumping wasn't what pushed me out of Ryzom. Travel did. It was running a gauntlet to get anywhere. Aggro chains were unprecidented. Whole Islands of Mobs would jump you if you tried to pull aggro. You couldn't level.

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    It's a small thing, jumping OP, but it really does help me feel like my character is part of a world that I am interacting with and that makes the game that much more fun IMO. If a game doesn't have it, well it needs to be better in some other way to compensate for it.
  • OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

It realy depends if jumping actualy had a use. Jump up a hill, over a large tree or something. But normaly jumping doesnt do anything. Even when you are running and jumping, you would think you would move faster by leaping at full speed. But you dont.

Realy no point if the game isnt designed for jumping.

• ReesRacerReesRacer Member UncommonPosts: 179
    Pirates of the Burning Sea does not (rather notoriously) have a jump mechanic for the character avatars. it always seems strange after playing another MMO and logging in, but you get used to it...and there is certainly no need for your 44-gun frigate to jump the waves (like a Sea-Doo) in the Carribean/Gulf of Mexico :)
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    The lack of jumping in GW1 bothered me less than the lack of falling.  For instance, if you ran to a ledge and tried to fall off to a lower ledge, you couldn't, you'd have to walk around and take unnecessary time to do something that almost all games have in them already.  But overall, yeah, I'd like jumping to be a part of my MMO experiences; even better if there's a useful - even clever - purpose for it.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i have played several games and mmos that have no jumping and i dont think i would play them again. Right now the only games i would accept without jumping are 2D RPGs like legend of mana, etc.

I will most likely never again accept any 3D game that has exploration but lacks jumping. Yes, it breaks my immersion when i want to explore  everything and i cant jump off cliffs, over obstacles, gaps. That (no jumping) and zoom issues killed my experience from Kingdoms of Amalur.

• joonkp1976joonkp1976 Member Posts: 93
      I would very well play any game, MMORPG, those do not have ANY keyboard input, just mouse control.  I actually PREFER mouse only control.  Cheers~!
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Lineage II doesn't have hoping either, yet I've played it for 4 years...
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by joonkp1976
      I would very well play any game, MMORPG, those do not have ANY keyboard input, just mouse control.  I actually PREFER mouse only control.  Cheers~!

i would rather have the total opposite, no mouse at all, but thats just me. I really dont like to control my game with a mouse other than some clicks here and there to select something or rotate camera

• SwearSwear Member Posts: 5
    Nope

You'll lose a lot of money chasing women, but you'll never lose a woman chasing money.
    If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it.

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    That would depend on the type of MMO. End of Nations is an MMORTS, and I don't exactly expect it to have jumping. If you simply mean an MMORPG, then no, I wouldn't play one that didn't have jumping.
  • bizoux86bizoux86 Member UncommonPosts: 85

I personally like to have the option of jumping in my MMO's. I played GW1 for a while and though it was immense fun, I felt restricted and really did not like that I could not jump. I don't know why exactly, it seems silly to not allow it. Jumping gives your character a feeling of more freedom I guess.  Something about running in an MMO, jumping just makes it more fun! 

Aside from GW1, jumping has been a feature in every other MMO I play- so maybe it has just become habit now. Regardless of this I want jumping in my games! teehee.

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

if my character cannot jump, then i wonder why allthetime. im not a bunny jumper who permajumps when moving to a to b.

but if mmo comes out without jumping option i feel like its limited and there for one aspect of freedom is taken away.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    There was no jumping in UO and it didn't bother me. I don't see why not. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689

As title says...

Yes I would, but it would be a major anoyance for me.  I like to leap over things like rocks, fences, ridges, things that can be bypaseed to make my travels easier.

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988
    Of course, unless the game gives jumping a purpose like for platforming in some dungeons in DDO, then it really isn't adding anything to the game other than enabling annoying bunny hoppers.
  • rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

As title says...

Ryzom is an MMO that does not have jumping. And it seems to deter a lot of people, with the lack of just that one feature...even though the MMO is better than most.

So, would you play an MMO (not just Ryzom, but any other) that did not have jumping included (outside of an emote, if it has one)?

Personally, I like the lack of jumping. After Darkfall and WoW...I got really tired of people bunny hopping everywhere in heavy armor and looking like idiots. Darkfall was REALLY bad for this, even more so than WoW. EVE has "jumping", but well...it isn't jumping :P

Im not sure, i was surprised how mutch i missed jumping.

While you said Ryzom, we discussed jumping, one of the more populated thready in the open Ryzom project ^^

http://dev.ryzom.com/boards/16/topics/1164

• PhoebesPhoebes Member UncommonPosts: 190
    I don't think it would keep me from playing a game I like. But it would probably break immersion a bit if you just dont have the option to jump over some obstacle or onto a rock or fallen log (unless some sort of climbing was implemeted). But why limit movement?

Other people jumping around in games doesn't really bother me.