Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is DUST in trouble?

2»

Comments

• troublmakertroublmaker Member Posts: 337

The reason why Dust and Defiance are both in trouble is because they started development of these games when there were very few free to play shooters.

Now we have Team Fortress 2, Gotham City Imposters, Planetside 2, Blacklight Retribution, Tribes Ascend, APB Reloaded, Arctic Combat, and District 187.

The free to play MMO FPS and free to play FPS genre is getting ridiculously saturated, so adding these other two FPSes into it won't help.

They can't just make a game, they have to make an amazing game.... because a lot of the ones out now are of the quality of Battlefield and MW3.

• ezpz77ezpz77 Member Posts: 227

I personally think this game is going to be a complete disaster for CCP. They're going after the PS3 FPS market which is utterly dominated by Call of Duty. Not only that, but they're expecting people to spend money on cash shop microtransactions instead of buying a box. They're releasing an unestablished IP on very limited platforms (one to be precise) with an unfamiliar business model. It's just not going to go well. Conceptually, for me as an MMO gamer I think it's a great idea, but I don't think many of the people playing Call of Duty or the myriad of other FPS's are going to give two shits about the overarching concept of the game.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    i might try Dust when it launches but if its not as massive as Planetside 2 i wont last long there. Also, the only thing i dont like from PS2 is that its only First Person. Im a Third Person shooter guy. When Firefall and Defiance come out ill have my shooting time filled with those 2, Specially Firefall <3

• evemaster00evemaster00 Member Posts: 171

Interestingly enough, "CCP Oveur" a well known and popular EVE employee, and executive producer of EVE, moved over to Trion earlier this year to work on Defiance in a vice president and executive producer position. I found some bits on google from him, it looks like he moved because he sees a big new thing coming with Defiance.

Maybe he knows something we don't about CCP. Or maybe he just saw a better deal, who knows.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by evemaster00

Maybe he knows something we don't about CCP.

CCP is not longer what it used to be, that's no secret.

Originally posted by Gdemami

Maybe he knows something we don't about CCP.

CCP is not longer what it used to be, that's no secret.

Well taking a closer look at the executive producer of EVE leaving CCP to work for Trion on Defiance, another similar game. Why would he do that? If he thought Dust was going to really get EVE somewhere, why did he leave to work on another Sci-fi FPS game at Trion? He must have his own ideas about Dust and EVE being successful and his actions speak volumes, he doesn't see much reason to stay at CCP.

• Salio69Salio69 Member CommonPosts: 428

DUST is in trouble. I've asked serveral people who I play call of duty with on the ps3 to play DUST, and they all say "no thanks i tried it, its not fun at all"

I have to admit I play Call  of duty a whole lot more as well.

people keep bringing up this Defiance game, i can tell you straight off whats going to happen. PC players will own everything greatly due to AIM BOTs. people might sit there and think "oh so great i can play on 3 different platforms." what they dont realize is the crazy amount of cheating that goes on in PC FPS. its gonna be an AIM BOT fest with PC domination. one of the main reasons i was happy they havent ported DUST to PC.

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

Ironically, I am a guy who tried EVE a few times, and just could not get into it. Then I hear about DUST and think it sounds awesome, I even own and use a PS3. 

I looked forward to finding a way I would enjoy interacting with the EVE universe and with the player driven story lines that EVE creates. Sadly, it seems it will fall far short of that level of immersion, and without many people playing it, it will likely not amount to much.

I suspect I am pretty much the main target audience for this game: the guy who wants to play EVE and be involved with that sort of game world, but at the same time just did not like the EVE game enough to stick with it. It just sounds more and more like it will not live up to that ideal to me.

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Originally posted by Salio69

PC players will own everything greatly due to AIM BOTs.

A PC mouse and KB player doesn't need an aimbot to own a console thumbstick player.

Do you really think nobody has tried mixing PC and Console? It's been tried many times and every time the devs learn what the last devs to try it learned. Mouse and KB is more precise, and has less reaction lag with faster time between seeing the target and getting your crosshair on it than the thumbstick.

This was with only dev teams playing and in early alpha 'friends and family' tests before these game were ever released to the cheating public.

I'm not saying that there won't be aimbots [mod edit] and there will be console glitchers. But the bottom line is the two shouldn't be in the same game because Mouse+KB > Gamepad everyday, everyway, everytime.

[mod edit]

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• Salio69Salio69 Member CommonPosts: 428
    PC players wont care about competing with console players. everyone knows that a keyboard and mouse is much more precise. PC players will break out the aimbots to battle against other PC players regardless if they have them as well.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
         CCP should probably just stick with Eve....They found a perfect niche and should probably just stay focused on that.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Well taking a closer look at the executive producer of EVE leaving CCP to work for Trion on Defiance, another similar game. Why would he do that? If he thought Dust was going to really get EVE somewhere, why did he leave to work on another Sci-fi FPS game at Trion? He must have his own ideas about Dust and EVE being successful and his actions speak volumes, he doesn't see much reason to stay at CCP.

Do you have any back up for anything you said or it just suits your case? Because logical structure is completely missing...

• MundusMundus Member UncommonPosts: 237

It's amazing how many people conclude that Dust will be a failure because current Eve players won't play/like it. Did it ever occur to you that they might be out for new players that don't necessarily have any interest in Eve at all?

There are far more console shooter players than Eve players out there. That's for sure.

Originally posted by Gdemami

Do you have any back up for anything you said or it just suits your case? Because logical structure is completely missing...

I was stating my thoughts and opinion. Clearly my opinion that Dust is in trouble doesn't go down well with you.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

Can't imagine players would choose DUST over shooters like COd and BF and others, who earned their reputations over the years in these games.

I don't own a PS3, certainly not gonna buy one just to grind structures on the ground lol.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by Theocritus
         CCP should probably just stick with Eve....They found a perfect niche and should probably just stay focused on that.

Agreed. They should have made DUST into part of EVE. Same launcher up to character selection, then when you select a capsuleer it loads up EVE, when you select your mercenary it loads up DUST and off you go. Should be same sub too (although maybe the standard limitation of training only one character, mercenary or capsuleer, with one account at a time) and I should be able to multibox, with my destroyer parked on the orbit, ready to drop that bombardment as I trudge through the trenches down on the planet.

PS3... phhht. What a waste.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by rojo6934
    i might try Dust when it launches but if its not as massive as Planetside 2 i wont last long there. Also, the only thing i dont like from PS2 is that its only First Person. Im a Third Person shooter guy. When Firefall and Defiance come out ill have my shooting time filled with those 2, Specially Firefall <3

32 players max. (16 vs. 16) and maps the size of BF3.

There's DUST massive for you.

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    PS3 only.... yes it is!
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by Sentime

Planteside 2?  Please.  

Things aren't looking so hot for that game.

DUST will be a niche game and I doubt that CCP cares about taking on the world.  They'll do their own thing like they did with EVE.

You do know that Planetside 2 is the trending mmofps on PC at the moment right?

DUST won't be a niche game - because it is not niche and it is not even good in it's genre right now (as people said, there are many others that are better then it and they are on BOTH PC and Ps3).

They didn't do their own thing on this one, that is the problem. It was just BF3 with some linking to bombardment from ships in EVE.

DUST was not absolutely necessary for EVE players to maintain their powerbase in EVE as well, that is another problem.

• 3-4thElf3-4thElf Member Posts: 489
    Originally posted by tom_gore
    Originally posted by rojo6934

32 players max. (16 vs. 16) and maps the size of BF3.

There's DUST massive for you.

That's been the max for beta. The PS3 can handle much more than that. Just look at MAG which has a lot in common with DUST. 

There's a variety of game modes that haven't been released yet for DUST.

Again, it can be a game that draws users based on the fact that it'll be a much more customizable experience than Call of Duty. More like Battlefield of yore with even more options.

a yo ho ho

• AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178

Some of you crack me up.

Some fun things I've read.

Dust has no progression save ranks: Incorrect as all hell. I'm still building on my piloting etc. It's just as deep as eve with less economic abilities. Two seconds of research will reveal this to be one of the sillies posts thus far.

Cod Dominates the PS3: Pretty close to truth, for the first month a CoD is released it tapers to 540k online after that and then to 250  a few months later. I've been playing Cod for ages..ages ugg. However Cod and Dust are totally different. This like comparing BF3 to CoDBO2. It's an entirely different game.

It's not going anywhere at this time, they are making fat sales on Aur in the PS store.

You guys may not realize this but FPS's are moving away from PC, they'll always be there but not like in the past.

There is no way you can play on a levelish battle field with someone on a pc, things will always be technically different and thus one person has a arms advantage. A console removes this, of course connection matters but meh who doesn't have broad band? I think 3 people in ethopia.

To close: It's doing great, as a matter of fact I see alot of people on constanty. It's not like CoD or even BF3, it has it's own style, it's a cone based shooter from what I've seen, more akin to Planet Side before the damned vehicle spam.

It's a RTS/FPS all rolled into one, and unless you actually play it your opinions and assumptions are silly as hell.

Thing is, the game isn't for me. I need super fast ultra twitchy don't ask me to think type of games for my daily bread of fps, you guys may wish to out tacticify (my new word) other nerds but I find it more fun to score giant numbers, I'm super simple like that. :D

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Give me liberty or give me lasers