Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this going to be a griefer's paradise?

2»

Comments

• HotjazzHotjazz Member UncommonPosts: 742
    Originally posted by Raventree
    Thanks for all of the info, guys.  I guess my idea of griefing isn't PKing or even kill-on-sight players, but more of the lowbie gankers, corpse campers, and players who use tricks like inviting you to a dungeon and killing you when you get there.  I guess if you go in expecting all of that then it isn't so jarring.

They can`t kill you as a lowbie, we have safezones now. With the new role system, you will be able to level faster (I hope), and then you are not a lowbie any more. You are able to fight back this time.

Ohh, and btw find a clan.

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by Raventree

I enjoy PVP in MMOs almost exclusively and so I always pay attention to which ones have it and to what extent.  Unfortunately, I have also discovered that if there is a way to grief people easily, someone will always do it, even if you gain no actual reward.  Throw in full looting and you have some serious motivation for people to be terrible.  That is why I am wondering if this game is going to be a giant griefer-fest in which everyone is either the criminal or the victim.

Does anyone have experience with the first Darkfall that can give me an idea of how things work?

You mean gank, not grief, surely?

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by muffins89
    people you don't know will attack you and pillage your corpse for seemingly no reason. 

happens in RL too.

why should a game set in a virtual world have a carebear safety switch and be different?

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• SnoepieSnoepie Member UncommonPosts: 485

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eH_1aCc2hQ

this is darkflal 1.0

tbh.. if you like pvp.. don''t worry to much.. and play this.. ( try it) best pvp game currently on the market

• KhaelSUNKhaelSUN Member Posts: 394

They can't really grief you in df.

If they give you "grief" just kill them and take their stuff.

Khael[SUN]
    SUN - peekayin since pong
    Webdeveloper on:
    http://www.guildofsun.com
    http://www.bloodmonarchy.com

• Aragon100Aragon100 Member RarePosts: 2,686

You can avoid being griefed if you know the game, always been like that. Take UO where after death unexperienced players went back to their corpse just to be killed again and again and again. Dont go back and you wont be reskilled over and over. Just an example.

Be in a guild, use a speech system and you will have a better chance avoid getting ganked and also getting revenge if ganked. Also make it easier to reequip.

Smaller guilds can also be griefed by alliances of guilds called Zergs but if you want competitive challenges as a guild then DF is the right place. These griefing Zergs can seem to be impossible to defeat cause of the sheer numbers but skilled, better organized smaller guilds usually defeat these less skilled/organized huge alliances.

Learn the game, play smart, be in a guild, good communication and get good at the game and you will have alot of fun. Full loot is what make DF and UO fun, there have to be consequences to be intertesting. Otherwise it just feels like playing poker with fake money.

• RaapnaapRaapnaap Member UncommonPosts: 455

You can avoid being griefed by playing smart and understanding how players play the game.

Get yourself a clan that knows what it is doing and you won't have problems dealing with 'griefers' alone anymore. Or rather, once you leave the NPC towns, you won't have to deal with griefing, ever again. If you're only interested in playing solo, which is possible, then you simply have to deal with the fact some people will always exist in the NPC towns that will seek to ruin your day.

There is a select group of players that take joy in killing new players (this is the definition of classic griefing in Darkfall), but you'll find that they are a minority. Most players don't pay attention to the new players for lots of reasons. New players drop no loot a more experienced player could be interested in, and veteran players get no benefit from getting people to quit the game early.

Again, there is only a very small minority out to grief you as a new player, you'll have to deal with it as they exist in any game. Darkfall's ingame community is actually mature enough to self-police this kind of behavior for a large part.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Well ANY developer that does not understand the rules of gaming i guess deserves to fail.I have not played DF UW so i really don`t know how well thought out this game is.

Number 1 rule>>>FUN,no circumstance what so ever should take that away.This is why i have always said pvp NEEDS rules,there is no argument imo,unless of course you think gaming is not about fun?

Number 2 rule when comes to pvp aside from the obvious which is latency,the playing field should be even,there should be no influence from cash shops or pre orders or levels.Gear i have no problem with IF and that is a big IF the developer knows what they are doing in balancing gear.Example an example would be to give players options,like gear that is stronger versus melee or ranged and weapons that do similar,there needs to be a well thought out combat system,not something simple like i usually see.

Numer 3 Pretty much an obvious one.Your goal as a developer is to get more and more players to enjoy your game,if you set any kind of mechanic that ruins a new players enjoyment into a game,you have failed in your design and the entire player base.The obvious reason is you WANT the player base to see an influx of new players,you DON`T want to see your game slowly die out.

I think i made it quite clear that pvp shoud lnot simply be done as a simple mechanic,you need to put some thought into your design.What i have seen every game do is just add it to attract more sales/subs ,i have yet to see the same level of pvp i once enjoyed playing  UT99.

You need well designed maps,fighting areas,hot spots.You need versatile defense and offense and you need to remove the ZERG factor,combnat should remain relatively competitive not unbalanced.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724
    Originally posted by Wizardry

Well ANY developer that does not understand the rules of gaming i guess deserves to fail.

Number 1 rule>>>FUN,no circumstance what so ever should tkae that away.This is why i have always said pvp NEEDS rules,there is no argument imo,unless of course you think gaming is not about fun?

Number 2 rule when comes to pvp aside from the obvious which is latency,the playing field shoudl be even,there shoudl be no influence from cash shops or pre orders or levels.Gear i have no problem with IF and that is a big IF the developer knwos what they are doing in balancing gear.Example an example would be to give players options,like gear that is stronger versus melee or ranged and weapons that do similar,there needs to be a well thought out combat system,not something simple like i usually see.

Numer 3 Pretty much an obvious one.Your goal as a developer is to get more and more players to enjoy your game,if you set any kind of mechanic that ruins a new players enjoyment into a game,you have faield in your design and the entire player base.

I think i made it quite clear that pvp shoud lnot simply be done as a simple mechanic,you need to put some thought into your design.What i have seen every game do is just add it to attract more sales/subs ,i have yet to see the same level of pvp i once enjoyed playing  UT99.

You need well designed maps,fighting areas,hot spots.You need versatile defense and offense and you need to remove the ZERG factor,combnat should remain relatively competitive not unbalabnced.

Except you standards mean absolutely zero to the makers of this game. They designed a game they want to play, and all others who want join to them, by all means, join. I wish more dev's would do this instead of feeling like they have to cater to everyone.

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185

Most people responding don't even know what griefing is. Yes there will be a few griefers but for the  majority of the server you will find don't grief. 

Now, there is going to be a LOT of pvp. Once  you leave the safe zones you are fair game to anyone, the defining factor here will be gaining peoples trust. I feel that even though there is zero in game penalties for killing other players that the players themselves will either want to be trusted and respected by their race or local crowd . So, if you just go on a killing spree outside of your safe zones you're going to get a shitstorm on you. 

Will be interesting to see how that pans out, but as for griefers, most people don't like griefers and will help fight against them.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I can`t say you are right or worng,you might very wel l be right.If they do not understand the simple standards i laid out,then they are not creating a game that works,merely a game THEY want to play.

That would make ZERO sense,they can do that anytime and support the 5-25 people THEY have to play agaisnt each otehr.However when you are creating a MMO which relates to LOTS of OTHER players ^NOT yourself¸you NEED to cater to them,not YOU.

There is also anotehr simpel idea we have seen MANY times.if you want a game for yourself and not catered to the MMO factor,then create servers with different play styles.Just about every single develoepr in existance does this,they want to be a to pnotch dev they need to get with it.

obvious reasons why,MONEY $$$ they are not  doing this for free or charity and the workers they have do not work for free,this is a game about the community the MMO factor,it is not a game designed for them to play themselves.

I am not by any means trying to discredit AV,i just know what kind of standards need to be in place to be somewhat a success and a game to be taken seriously.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724
    Originally posted by Wizardry

I can`t say you are right or worng,you might very wel l be right.If they do not understand the simple standards i laid out,then they are not creating a game that works,merely a game THEY want to play.

That would make ZERO sense,they can do that anytime and support the 5-25 people THEY have to play agaisnt each otehr.However when you are creating a MMO which relates to LOTS of OTHER players ^NOT yourself¸you NEED to cater to them,not YOU.

obvious reasons why,MONEY $$$ they are doing this for free or charity and the workers they have do not work for free,this is a game abotu the community the MMO factor,it is not a game designed for them to play themselves.

They aren't creating the game that works for you...that's all you had to say, bud.

• tort0429tort0429 Member UncommonPosts: 297
    Originally posted by fredfour

To be honest, Griefers are in every single game full loot or not so that answers the question alltogether.

I'll tell you straight up 9and i've played this game since the original Beta.  Darkfall has a steep learning curve and yes you will loose your shit to someone telling you "welcome to darkfall"  you will die die and loose your shit day in and day out that is all possible.  but on teh other hand this game is there for PVP and PVP there is, with sieges and epoc battles..   one minute you kill and loot 5 guys and the next someone kills you and take all your spoils before you can bank

Griefers there will be, but if you follow teh basic Darkfall rule of not travelling solo you'll be fine :)  and YES everyone is a criminal in darkfall.

There is only one rule in Darkfall : If they are not with you --> they must die

LOL!!!  Almost feel your enthusiam for this game.  Almost want to give it a try.  

Nooooooooooo I can't give in to the DARK SIDE!!!!

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    I just wanted to add, if you're planning on preordering and playing beta, it will be a completely different game IMO because people wont give a shit about reputation in beta, so they'll do whatever whenever just to "test".
  • itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

griefing and pvp are 2 separate things.  griefing is acting in a way to cause another player aggrivation.  pvp is attacking someone to further a goal.

one of these two things is what makes pvp games great and the other one is what makes them awful.  guess which is which.

i really hope AV has something in place to stop honest to god griefing while leaving the ability to do meaningful pvp alone.

if not then i'll speak with my 15 bucks a month, or lack thereof.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• tort0429tort0429 Member UncommonPosts: 297
    Originally posted by Kilrain
    I just wanted to add, if you're planning on preordering and playing beta, it will be a completely different game IMO because people wont give a shit about reputation in beta, so they'll do whatever whenever just to "test".

Hmmm, very good point.  I give you A for effort.  However, IMO, you can't change the stripes on a zebra pal.  If you are a griefer in Beta you are a griefer when it goes live.  It has more to do with your personality then worrying about your reputation.  JMHO.