Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Asheron's Call 2 : Fallen Kings: Rebirth Explained

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Turbine is being flooded with questions from a thrilled Asheron's Call 2 player base and media outlets due to yesterday's announcement that the game would be reopening. We have an official statement from the good folks at Turbine that we'd like to share.

We have been receiving a lot of questions about why we decided to open a server and bring back Asheron’s Call 2.  Frankly, we were as surprised as all of you. This guy with a big white beard and fuzzy red jacket showed up at the office yesterday. St. Nick? Asheron? Hard to tell. Whoever he was, he turned on a stack of servers and suddenly AC2 was live. ;-)

In all seriousness, we are really excited to be able to open the doors to Asheron’s Call 2 to our loyal players again. The AC community has been going strong for a little over 13 years now, and the call to bring AC2 back to life has never really faded. Especially for the Asheron’s Call dev team, they love the world as much as any of our players.  After a lot of hard work, they we able to get AC2 to work with our current infrastructure and we love that they’ve been able to bring it back.  So here it is. In beta, at least. We hope you enjoy it!

Happy Holidays!

Read how to get started playing on the Asheron's Call forum.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

* pokes the thread title...

uhh, wut rebirth? image

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    That would be mmorpg hype language. I doubt I will be playing this, but there are some old titles out there I would play. Good luck to the AC community I hope it gets a good response.
  • AreWeLiveAreWeLive Member UncommonPosts: 201

in beta? does this mean its a new game? nex generation?

I would give it a go if it was new but the old AC2 is so far behind in todays standards, i would give it a pass.  =(

• tachgbtachgb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    But what do Turbine wish to do with AC2? Further develop it? New content? Or host the game as it is, fix the bugs and enjoy what content it has?
  • EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    Originally posted by tachgb
    But what do Turbine wish to do with AC2? Further develop it? New content? Or host the game as it is, fix the bugs and enjoy what content it has?

Content?  I thought sandbox games only needed NPC's that don't really say anything or give you anything  to do, and that the world was primarly just  an open world with monsters sprawled out here and there and in dungeons etc? :)

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    The replies in this thread are going to be a good example of why niche games or games with a cult following should target their most avid fans first and build their core community before even touching the general bittervet MMO populace.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    Originally posted by adam_nox
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    The replies in this thread are going to be a good example of why niche games or games with a cult following should target their most avid fans first and build their core community before even touching the general bittervet MMO populace.
    [mod edit]

in an MMO "better" is largely subjective isnt it.  I mean if people like it enough to turn a profit for the company i guess it's good.

what  i think you meant to say is that you personally dont like it.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• TraugarTraugar Member UncommonPosts: 183
    Originally posted by adam_nox
    [mod edit]

Can everyone please stop with the nostalgia goggles comments.  They are stupid.  Just because someone likes somthing that you don't doesn't mean they are wearing the gaming equivelant of beer goggles.  For me it didn't take until the NGE for me to like SWG.  I liked it the entire time I played it.  I didn't all of a sudden remember enjoying something that I had actually hated.  If I had hated it I wouldn't have kept a sub to the game.  Same with AC2.  You didn't like it.  That's fair.  Just acknowledge that some of us did enjoy it, and leave it at that.  No need to say that our opinion is wrong or anything.  Just accept that your tastes aren't everyones, and niche does not equal bad.  You can have a good game that for various reasons won't appeal to everyone.  You mentioned CoH.  I personally liked CoH through the first couple of months.  Then it felt like all I was doing was repeating the same warehouse mission so my enjoyment quickly faded.  That doesn't mean that everyone who continued to enjoy the game for years was wrong for enjoying it.  It just means that my tastes were different.  

• lkc673lkc673 Member Posts: 149

This is great news but didnt really answer the question? someone decides to turn the servers on? okay.... lol

So are they going to support the game? future content? or this is it, if theres a bug then theres a bug, they are not going to fix it?

but overall great news!

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    Well that answered nothing.. im excited though.
  • ironhelixironhelix Member Posts: 448
    Yeah, this statement answers absolutely nothing. Are there plans to actually further develop the game?
  • PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293

I would assume this means turbine is doing very well with their F2P games and want to add AC2 the list. It will be extreme publicity as this is the first zombie MMO it was dead, yet its back.

Going to be interesting to see how this goes from here.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551
    Yeah this article is pointless. Still, playing this game yesterday was an experience.

Still, I'm not sure what this game has to offer anyone but the diehards without a major overhaul. Asked plenty of times in general chat why I should play this over modern MMOs and not once did I receive a legitimate answer that wasn't rooted in someone else's nostalgia. This scares me. You can take an even older game like EQ and list plenty of quantifiable reasons to play that over modern games.
  • TekkamanTekkaman Member UncommonPosts: 158

It's not about what game is "better". It's about what game you have fun playing.

I played Chess at tourney level for 11 years. As much as people would think, I didn't make fun of people who like to play Checkers.

That's like making fun of people who play specific specs because they just like playing them. It might not be the top DPS, the top HPS, or the top whatever, but if they are having fun, that to a company means one more subscriber they will keep because it's an option.

Honestly I'm subbing just to support it. I stopped playing AC1 a while back and although I destroyed people in AC2FK and was nearly maxed, I would and will and am going to play because I like the setting and the concept of the classes.

Every element that every game has can be dumbed down on paper to essentially be the exact same thing as every other game. Who cares? People still play Heroes of Newerth even if it isn't the biggest MOBA, the most advanced MOBA, the most accessible MOBA, or the anything MOBA. They play because they like it.

• AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416

This is a prime example of the latest Devils Advocate thread "The Teardown Mentality"

I'm happy as can be to finally get back into an MMO I thoroughly enjoyed playing, as for being dated, well with titles such as EQ1/AC1 etc still out there I see no problems with AC2 getting another crack at the whip.

• AegrusAegrus Member UncommonPosts: 34

Well Dantae87, i'm not sure if it was highly popular. It died pretty quick. I never really liked the way AC2 turned out compred to AC1. Playing as a Lugian? SILLY! These creatures were ment to be in some citadel and raise my coordination by the bucketload!.

I did like to see Gnawer Shreths (SP?) with more then 200 polys though ;-)

Keeping an eye on this one.

• DolmongDolmong Member Posts: 515

All I want is New Graphic Engine Asheron's Call !!! 

GIVE ME !!!!!! NOW !!!!

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Originally posted by SuperXero89
    Yeah this article is pointless. Still, playing this game yesterday was an experience.

Still, I'm not sure what this game has to offer anyone but the diehards without a major overhaul. Asked plenty of times in general chat why I should play this over modern MMOs and not once did I receive a legitimate answer that wasn't rooted in someone else's nostalgia. This scares me. You can take an even older game like EQ and list plenty of quantifiable reasons to play that over modern games.

The awnswer was right under your nose , but maybe you didnt see it or care to look, or you want someone to look for you?

It has a unique enviroment , loot system and a very indepth crafttin and skill tree...in a sandbox,  If you had taken some time to look around you would of answered your own question ..

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

I will be glad to play AC2 again without a doubt. I hope there are still a lot of the fans around to give it the support it deserves.

Because I can already see by some of the posts here that a lot of modern gamers don't respect classic mmo's that helped to define the genre.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by Scorchien

The awnswer was right under your nose , but maybe you didnt see it or care to look, or you want someone to look for you?

It has a unique enviroment , loot system and a very indepth crafttin and skill tree...in a sandbox,  If you had taken some time to look around you would of answered your own question ..

So does Ryzom but I don't see anyone beating down that games door.

SuperXero89 has it straight.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• LadyEupheiLadyEuphei Member UncommonPosts: 223

I am not an AC2 fan, heck I have not even played it, but I do find it funny that people think that they need to come on here and announce that "Your wearing goggles" and "the game sucks" This is exatly what the article about the tear down mentality of gamers was explaining. 

Seriously, go back in your holes you trolls and let some people out for some sunlight. AC2 is back and some people are happy. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. 

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Originally posted by Slampig
    Originally posted by Scorchien

So does Ryzom but I don't see anyone beating down that games door.

SuperXero89 has it straight.

Ryzom wasnt gone for 8 years for people to have a need to miss it or beat its door down , now was it, and as a matter of fact 2 years ago when it did shut down(cpl months) briefly there was a door beating by its community and another compnay bought it and gave it its model to keep it alive , because of its community ..

So neither you or Superxero have anything straight ...

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Ty Suzie

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    I bought the game for $9 about 2 months before shutdown and due to that spent a majority of my time playing solo. I had a lot of fun playing AC2 then and, if I can tear myself from DFUW beta I'll buy and play it again to see if the same feelings are there. Hopefully they get enough posotive response to expand on this game and make it bigger.
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by LadyEuphei

I am not an AC2 fan, heck I have not even played it, but I do find it funny that people think that they need to come on here and announce that "Your wearing goggles" and "the game sucks" This is exatly what the article about the tear down mentality of gamers was explaining. 

Seriously, go back in your holes you trolls and let some people out for some sunlight. AC2 is back and some people are happy. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. 

No kidding.  I have no idea why some want to come into AC2 threads and tear it down right away.  Hell some of the people tearing it down haven't even played it.  

I'm trying it now and it is extremely rough around the edges but some of these older games can take weeks to figure out/get into.