Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this going to be a griefer's paradise?

I enjoy PVP in MMOs almost exclusively and so I always pay attention to which ones have it and to what extent.  Unfortunately, I have also discovered that if there is a way to grief people easily, someone will always do it, even if you gain no actual reward.  Throw in full looting and you have some serious motivation for people to be terrible.  That is why I am wondering if this game is going to be a giant griefer-fest in which everyone is either the criminal or the victim.

Does anyone have experience with the first Darkfall that can give me an idea of how things work?

Currently playing:
Rift
Played:
SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
World of Warcraft, AoC

Comments

• fredfourfredfour Member Posts: 8

To be honest, Griefers are in every single game full loot or not so that answers the question alltogether.

I'll tell you straight up 9and i've played this game since the original Beta.  Darkfall has a steep learning curve and yes you will loose your shit to someone telling you "welcome to darkfall"  you will die die and loose your shit day in and day out that is all possible.  but on teh other hand this game is there for PVP and PVP there is, with sieges and epoc battles..   one minute you kill and loot 5 guys and the next someone kills you and take all your spoils before you can bank

Griefers there will be, but if you follow teh basic Darkfall rule of not travelling solo you'll be fine :)  and YES everyone is a criminal in darkfall.

There is only one rule in Darkfall : If they are not with you --> they must die

• D_TOXD_TOX Member UncommonPosts: 269
    Yes it absolutely positively will be a gankers paradise. And thats the whole point and fun to open-world full-loot pvp MMO's. If you honestly came here thinking otherwise then you're in the wrong place. There's a billion other sh*tty MMO's out there that will hold your hand through thick and thin, this is not one of them. 
  • ArbuzonArbuzon Member Posts: 4

To answer your question: Absolutely.

This is the nature of the game, it is a natural pvp sandbox, and nature is tough, the strong survive, and the weak have to hide and run. As a weaker player, you must take griefing as a given, and act accordingly, always be on your toes, or roll with a group, or stay in safer areas, or don't carry valuable stuff with you, making frequent runs to the bank to stash your loot.

• ewlinitisewlinitis Member Posts: 7

You'll be griefed if necessary , i.e if you get smart with someone in  a clan or do something stupid.  The amount of griefers in the game are very very miniscule and might just be an idiot or two for their own enjoyment.  Simply gather up some buddies or ask for help and you'll most likely get it.  But this game is about world domination and politics.  Many will be out farming bigger and better stuff to help themselves and guild progress in the game.  Griefing should not be a problem or a concern.  But do remember this , trust noone when farming or out on your own.  I tend to be nice at times , but since I can't trust people i dont know , my first instinct is to Kill on Sight.   So go in there, keep an open mind and have fun .  This is beta  and a new game basically with the same ruleset.  Everyone will be learning how to aim and shoot from scratch, as the mechanics are different.  You'll be fine ....

"you're all so pittiful, this is sad"

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

No because griefing implies behaviour that is not agreed to by both parties and/or against the rules.When you purchase this game and log in to play you are agreeing to a play a game with features and rulesets where you are open to attack and being looted at almost all times.

If you do not want to play such a game and ruleset do not purchase this game.

edited for atrocious typing

• SpawlSpawl Member UncommonPosts: 4

This version of the game should be more noob friendly than the last, at least it will put them on a more level playing field not having to grind up a ton of skills since they can focus.

It is still ffa pvp though with full loot. You have to be careful. Warning though, that adrenaline rush can be addictive.

• ThaliostThaliost Member UncommonPosts: 104
    Originally posted by Raventree

I enjoy PVP in MMOs almost exclusively and so I always pay attention to which ones have it and to what extent.  Unfortunately, I have also discovered that if there is a way to grief people easily, someone will always do it, even if you gain no actual reward.  Throw in full looting and you have some serious motivation for people to be terrible.  That is why I am wondering if this game is going to be a giant griefer-fest in which everyone is either the criminal or the victim.

Does anyone have experience with the first Darkfall that can give me an idea of how things work?

There is a big difference in DF:UW, the starting cities will be no-PvP zones and the (small) surrounding areas, so you will be able to get into the game without worrying about being killed by other (high-level) players.

In DF1, you got killed but you also got to kill others :D :D If killing others doesnt appeal to you, I just hope they have improved on the crafting and trading system to keep you entertained.

Also, joining a clan is very important. And don't carry stuff on you which you will rage about if you lose and bank often so as not to stockpile on a lot of stuff and risk getting killed.

Immortals [EU] - Darkfall Clan: http://immortals-online.eu/

Read my "funny" DF1 blog: http://casualdarkfall.blogspot.com

• MelkrowMelkrow Member Posts: 278

Griefer paradise? No, especially with safe zones now in DF2. 

PVPer's paradise? Most definitely.

Playing: Darkfall Unholy Wars
    Played: Darkfall, EVE, AoC, Ryzom, Ragnarok Online, GW2, PS2, Secret World, WOW, City Of Heroes/Villains, Champion Online.
  • muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    people you don't know will attack you and pillage your corpse for seemingly no reason. 
  • NatrisNatris Member Posts: 38

It depends what you consider as "griefing". Is it meeting people who are killing anyone on sight? Then yes, you will experience this often. People usually attack anyone who is not in their clan/alliance. You should not play this game if you are not comfortable with this.

There were surprisingly few ways how to grief someone. For once it was bind camping someone - repeatedly killing him after reviving. In my 1.5 year of DF1 it happened to me twice. Other form of griefing is people repeatedly targetting newbies. This happened near newbie areas more or less frequently. Since I have spent about 1 week near starting location, which was one of the least popular ones, I did not experience this. We can expect NPC cities to stay griefer friendly, as borders of safe/unsafe zones are always exploitable.

The best way how to avoid being griefed is to join clan and live in clan holding. I do not think I was ever griefed there, aside from time I spent in holding just next to NPC city, from which highly developed newbie killers came to attack us. But we were usually able to fight back.

I am from EU though, maybe on US it is different. And I have re-started playing about 9 months after release. After launch of DF1 you pretty much died every 15 minutes on spawns next to starter cities to roaming parties. You needed to be there with big enough group. After moving from newbie cities the number of deaths went down considerably.

• XandrosXandros Member Posts: 27
    Originally posted by muffins89
    people you don't know will attack you and pillage your corpse for seemingly no reason. 

this ^^

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681

This is a hardcore PVP game and you will die....a lot...and anyone telling you otherwise is lying. The original DF was brutal in this respect and I got ganked and griefed many many many times (including from my own faction) but man what a FUN game! DF 2.0 will have more restrictions in place to limit griefing and you won't have the naked players running around destroying people with ease since skills will be more limited this go 'round.

All other PVP games pale in comparison to this one - just go into it knowing you're going to get ganked and don't get mad...join a clan and then get EVEN! I can't wait until beta statrs :)

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

• Milenk0Milenk0 Member Posts: 1

im gonna grief the hell out of everyone ;)

well why else do we play full lot pvp games? :P

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535

There is no griefing, just PvP.

Bank often.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Drakynn

No because griefing implies behaviour that is not agreed to by both parties and/or against the rules.When you purchase this game and log in to play you are agreeing to a play a game with features and rulesets where you are open to attack and being looted at almost all times.

Well, yes... this.

But OP, yes, this will be a game full of people who will take pure pleasure in reducing you to tears if they can. It is why they play. If you are at all worried about 'griefers' then don't play DF.

• Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780
    Cant wait to rape all you noobs, bring me your blood!

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

BS.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• XandrosXandros Member Posts: 27
    Originally posted by Heretique

There is no griefing, just PvP.

Bank often.

Banking frequently is one the most important aspects a new player has to learn when starting with DF. Many tears could have been saved...

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by waynejr2

BS.

Except he's right for the main part. You would have to be some kind of nutter to think pking in a pvp game is automatically griefing.

@OP, you will get pk'd a fair bit, but griefed? If you are unlucky maybe, can't say I ever got griefed in the original.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• Burning25Burning25 Member Posts: 24

BS.

Explain how it is BS then.

I never once was griefed in Darkfall 1.  I signed up for a full loot PvP game, knowing it was a full loot PvP game, and when I died and got looted I wasn't griefed, because that is the nature of the game.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by bunnyhopper

BS.

Except he's right for the main part. You would have to be some kind of nutter to think pking in a pvp game is automatically griefing.

@OP, you will get pk'd a fair bit, but griefed? If you are unlucky maybe, can't say I ever got griefed in the original.

In over 2 years of playing the original it happened to me once. Big whoop.

Tip for new players: get to know the map as early as possible. Start looking at moving out of the NPC starter areas/capital cities, and find places to call home in more remote locations that have easy to medium mobs within a distance you are comfortable travelling on a regular basis (not hard to do).

I was one of those nuts that played my first few months solo. It was a wild ride, and I learned quickly how valuable it was to recognize when it was time to move. Home, for me, changed at least 5 or 6 times in my first two months. Eventually, I ended up in a sweet little cozy spot with like-minded adventurers, and we all joined a clan together a month after living the good life.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

Dont think of it as griefing, think of it more like a football game.

You will be constantly on the field, your team will support you, the other team(s) is out there to kick your ass.

Thats why this game is fun.

In most games you are sitting on the sidelines watching the preplanned halftime show, in this one you are on the field.

My experience is that while the majority of people will kill you, most will not be ass hats about it. How you react to being killed often determines how they will treat you, if you whine about it then expect the worst, if you take it on the chin, get up, and learn something from it then you will be better next time.

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

• TymorisTymoris Member UncommonPosts: 158

Objectively OP no it's not griefers paradise any more than any other mmo with pvp that you have played.

The full loot aspect is just a cute gimmick it won't make people grief you more or less.

You'll meet a lot of nice people in the beggining and some not so nice. Then it's just a matter of time of either joining a clique or getting bored.

• Rorschach1797Rorschach1797 Member Posts: 19
    i wouldn´t call it griefing in Darkfall...its just how the game is
  • RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456
    Thanks for all of the info, guys.  I guess my idea of griefing isn't PKing or even kill-on-sight players, but more of the lowbie gankers, corpse campers, and players who use tricks like inviting you to a dungeon and killing you when you get there.  I guess if you go in expecting all of that then it isn't so jarring.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC