Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is there to do in this MMO?

TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

I know it has some of the best story in a MMO (according to Massively)...and that it takes a lot of brains. But...after you get done with the story...what is left to do? I imagine there is probably raids? I never touch those. Is there other stuff to do?

Also, how is the crafting? Crafting is my favorite thing to do in a RPG

Is there a lot to explore in the game? One reason I liked GW2, WoW, Vanguard, Ryzom and such...they have amazing worlds to explore. And many have hidden things to find (especially GW2 and WoW).

Just wondering if this is my type of MMO or not...its only 15 dollars on amazon...but if I get done with the story and that is it...I don't think it will be the MMO I'm looking for. Not to say TSW is bad (never played it), but I just don't know if its my type of game or not.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Comments

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by TheScavenger

I know it has some of the best story in a MMO (according to Massively)...and that it takes a lot of brains. But...after you get done with the story...what is left to do? I imagine there is probably raids? I never touch those. Is there other stuff to do?

Also, how is the crafting? Crafting is my favorite thing to do in a RPG

Is there a lot to explore in the game? One reason I liked GW2, WoW, Vanguard, Ryzom and such...they have amazing worlds to explore. And many have hidden things to find (especially GW2 and WoW).

Just wondering if this is my type of MMO or not...its only 15 dollars on amazon...but if I get done with the story and that is it...I don't think it will be the MMO I'm looking for. Not to say TSW is bad (never played it), but I just don't know if its my type of game or not.

Hey, there -- currently there are 3 regions -- Solomon Island, Egypt and Transylvania, with a large new zone coming in thre New Year for Tokyo.  Those regions have 3, 3, and 2 zones respectively, which are pretty big maps.  Lots of hidden little sidequests and lore in the corners of the questing areas, so there is room for exploring.  Still, the game does not have the huge geography of say LOTRO, so it is definitely a bit smaller.  The missions themselves have lots of clues and hidden things to figure out, so if you like those, you'll be happy.

Crafting is probably not the strong suit of TSW, although anyone can craft anything in the game -- sorta Minecraft-styule recipes with patterns.  You break items down to make materials then form them into new object, the more powerful being with higher quality mats.

If you're not into raiding or dungeons, there's also PvP and an active RP community -- talk of housing coming, as well as open world PvP.

There's pretty good deals going on right now ($15 on Amazon) if you wanted to give the game a try without much commitment. 

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    definately worth the $15 imo.  if you just do the story you should get 100ish hours out of it.
  • MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

Follow the themepark rides and grind dungeons.  It's a great themepark; much more fun than GW2 in my opinion, but it's still just a themepark with lackluster PvP.  Once the story ride is over, there isn't much left.

The ride is good, but short.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• IczerIczer Member UncommonPosts: 116

Its a pretty standard format for a themepark MMO.

Lots of missions (quests) .. some you get from the standard npc's others you find while exploring the land.

Dungeons, which are group content.

PVP which I didnt try out, I lost my drive to play the game after endless questing.

Limited crafting, which is pretty basic. Take material, combine it in a pattern with the proper toolkit and make stuff.

Raid (yea just 1 so far) ... I didnt try this out either.

The  community was pretty nice tho, asnwering noob questions without the flames so much.

• ChingoChingo Member UncommonPosts: 128

I think TSW is a game you need to try out yourself to see if you like it. My 2 cents is this

-  crafting is completely useless and boring so if this is your #1 thing you'll be disappointed

- the atmosphere (and in many cases the quests) are beyond anything I've experienced but this is very much a matter of taste

- no comments about the instances/raid as that's not my thing

Yesterday I spent 2 hours roaming the very first low level area with my pretty "high level" toon and I loved it! 

"I miss those kittens."

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Missions and quests and group are good,  pvp is lack luster, and crafting is the worst part of the game as it was so bland. 

The crafting was break down components, take 5 of those put them together to make beter components.  Use those to make better stuff with.  

The combat animations are lame but over all I played it for 3 months off and on.  I say give it a try you have nothing to loose now that is buy to play.  

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

There's currently 1 raid, more are supposed to come later but it's not the focus of the developers for the time being.

The areas are relatively large, and feel larger because of the lack of a quick travel system (though some people "cheat" it by commiting suicide and choosing where to resurrect), and there are some missions and quests that can only be found by going off the beaten path, so there is a reward in exploration.

There are dungeons, 8 in total, one for each zone in the game. 5 of them are normal difficulty, meant to be done at the QL (gear level, sort of levels for this game) of the area they're in, the other 3 are elite mode (meant for players with QL10 gear) in the transylvania area, and the first 5 also have an elite mode meant to be done with QL10 gear, then those same 8 dungeons but now in nightmare mode wich allow you to further upgrade the gear (QL 10.1, 10.2 and so on), which is considered the end game.

Haven't done nightmare dungeons myself, but in general the dungeons in TSW are very fun. They're usually short, most don't even have trash mobs, and those that do, it's usually one or two groups between boss fights and sometimes they can be easily skipped as well. Boss fights require lots of tactics and strategy, I'd say simmilar to heroic dungeons/raid bosses in WoW (just because it's the one example that comes to my mind right now).

Crafting is definitively not the strong suite of the game. Basically, the way it works, you get crafting kits as drops (weapon kits, talisman kits and so on), then you open the crafting window, put the materials in a specific pattern in a 5x5 grid, place the kit and craft away. If you put a green QL6 weapon kit, for example, and place the pieces of metal in the shape of a sword, you'll get a green QL6 sword, if you put the same pieces of metal in the shape of a hammer, you get a hammer and so on. You can get the materials by dissasembling (in the same window) gear you're not longer using, and when you dissasemble you can also see the pattern needed to create that kind of weapon/gear. Different QL kits need different tiers of materials, you can assemble several (10 IIRC) pieces of a material to get one of the next tier, or dissasemble one to get 8 (IIRC) of the previous tier. It is more involving than other crafting system since you do need to know the pattern and place the materials in that pattern, but there's no leveling of it. As long as you have the materials (and the kit) you could create a QL10 item without ever having to have done any crafting before.

EDIT: BTW, if you do get the game, and enjoy exploring for the sightseeing, be sure to explore the world in anima form (AKA, dead, corpse running). To give a quick example, and trying to not be spoilerific, in the first area there's a covered bridge with a plaque on it, read the plaque, then try to visit the same bridge while dead... :)

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• hehenephehenep Member UncommonPosts: 221
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

Follow the themepark rides and grind dungeons.  It's a great themepark; much more fun than GW2 in my opinion, but it's still just a themepark with lackluster PvP.  Once the story ride is over, there isn't much left.

The ride is good, but short.

Still, it's more content than most single-player games that cost more money.  So there's that.  Also they add more story to the game every month or so.  Of course going forwards that'll cost you a little bit of money to unlock initially (apparently they plan to roll it into the game for free after enough time has passed though).

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    if crafting is your passion you should know TSW crafting is basically just like crafting in Minecraft
  • FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    You won´t be "done" with the story, because the game is planned to be like seasons of "Lost".

New missions every months in Issue Packs, new zone (Tokyo) early next year.

I´m playing since release and I´m not even done with the release content, right now they pump out new content faster than I´m able to play. There is more than enough to do.

Also.. great ingame events, and community events (check Gridstream TSW)

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

Its pretty much Pure PvE, selling points being atmosphere, story,  the (better than TOR) voice acting, skill system

if you're into crafting or exploring vast open worlds, look elsewhere

Not down on the game, I like it

Its on sale on amazon for $15, definately worth that for the story imo.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    It's basicly swtor done right with a good measure of city if heroes
  • marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912
    Simple answer...$15 buys you easily over 100 hours of gameplay.  Where else will you find a deal like that.  'nuff said.

• KnyttaKnytta Member UncommonPosts: 414

This seems interesting on many levels. But to add to the question here besides shopping for clothes and crafting are there any other things to do in game outside combat? I read something about a Theather on the RP server.

Chi puo dir com'egli arde é in picciol fuoco.

He who can describe the flame does not burn.

Petrarch

• RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303
    Originally posted by Knytta

This seems interesting on many levels. But to add to the question here besides shopping for clothes and crafting are there any other things to do in game outside combat? I read something about a Theather on the RP server.

Just started the game, but i think i can add something to this.

Essentially there are 6 kind of missions:

1. Action Missions: These are your average search and destroy MMO themepark missions, you know the kind that make up 95% of MMOs like SWToR or Wow. 

2. Investigation missions: Its a bit like sherlock holmes meets monkey island. Its mostly about finding clues, and figuring out things with external sources. This stuff is very rare in most MMOs i have played, but very common in TSW. Definitely not something you can do on autopilot.

3. Sabotage missions: These are interesting, they are a bit like 2. but they contain elements from sneak games where you have to avoid cameras, traps and disarm booby traps. You die quick in those if your not careful.

4. Story missions: You progress through those by doing other missions, they basicly are the red line leading through the story telling you whats going on.

5. Item missions: You find something in the world that starts a mission which is meant to add flavour to the game and its story.

6. Dungeons: Instances?

The five types are not just made up categories by players btw, they have distinct symbols in the game so you know what mission will contain which activities. So yeah 2., 3., and 5. are things you can do outside of combat. Can't say i have ever seen a game where there was such a heavy focus on non combat quests.

• SevenwindSevenwind Member UncommonPosts: 2,188
    Originally posted by Knytta

There is an Albion Theatre that is new. This group put on three shows of Edgar Allen Poe's The Tell Tale Hear that were sold out. I hear from a few podcasts that cover TSW said it was well put together and turned out awesome.

I couldn't find the performace on youtube, but this is the promo for it.

http://youtu.be/OsPl_dKa9bA

.. .... .- - . - .-. --- .-.. .-.. ... .-- .... --- .-. . .--. --- .-. - .-.-.-

--------------------------------------------------------
    Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Also recently added is The Crusades nightclub which they are talking about adding the streaming Radio Free Gaia service. The Horned God pub is also a popular RP spot in London.
  • motoratonmotoraton Member UncommonPosts: 42
    mm in tsw after u finish the story and finish ur wheel ( and the skill wheel take alot alot of time, if u play like 3h day will take u alot of time) u can do dungeons normal, elite,and the nigthmare and the first raid ^^ and if u are in RP server u can have alot of fun with the ppl in agarath
  • OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

Its the first time, in about 6 years i have had to use a notepad to help solve mystery and puzzles lol. God i love that s**t. Map are decent sized, and lots of fast spawning critters to blow up.

As a sandbox junkie, i was actualy surprised. Though crafting sucks, hope they improve this. Its a decent game. I wouldnt want to pay a monthly fee for it, but as B2P, im happy.

Just take your time, dont rush this. And try to solve all the puzzles, challanges, and other quests by yourself ;) I have had to use the B function twice so far, but im only human lol.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

People should be forced to do the quest The Kingsmouth Code 1 time with no walkthrough help.  After that, if they can't move on, know this game is likely not for you.

I've spent the last 3 days in Kingsmouth and I haven't left the area yet.  I'm about to hop over to the next island (on the same map).  Too much to see and do and collect.  And if you play RIGHT and not just google every answer, then so far this game is VERY fulfilling.

Will it last?  Who knows.  But I paid dirt cheap for this game and I've already gotten enough laughs to get my monies worth.

• ZyzraZyzra Member Posts: 354
    Originally posted by Ikeda

People should be forced to do the quest The Kingsmouth Code 1 time with no internet help.  After that, if they can't move on, know this game is likely not for you.

I've spent the last 3 days in Kingsmouth and I haven't left the area yet.  I'm about to hop over to the next island (on the same map).  Too much to see and do and collect.  And if you play RIGHT and not just google every answer, then so far this game is VERY fulfilling.

Will it last?  Who knows.  But I paid dirt cheap for this game and I've already gotten enough laughs to get my monies worth.

So how did you find the code for the basement?  You know, the one that is in a Bible verse?

• RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303
    Originally posted by Zyzra

People should be forced to do the quest The Kingsmouth Code 1 time with no internet help.  After that, if they can't move on, know this game is likely not for you.

So how did you find the code for the basement?  You know, the one that is ...?

Lets not put spoilers here.

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988

Well, the quests and part of the environment is the strong part of the game, maybe the only strong part, but its worth it the 30Euro. Most quest blend in and doesnt feel boring even if they are the same fetch or kill quests.

The rest of the game is dull and there are even parts that are really bad, as the combat system, but again the game is worth cus of the story and quests.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

Some of the quests tell you to look it up lol ;)

And the length of songs for the captains treasure chest, is a must to look up.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

Got the game on Amazon for $15 and it sucked me in right now. It's going to be my second MMO aside SWTOR. It's a great game and needs some thinking to not struggle LOL. Picking skills, synergy etc... pretty awesome.

Not sure if I will ever get out from Kingsmouth though...  the way how quests are introduced is a pain in the butt. Yeah I know... immersion and all, but I will have to run through this forsaken place 100 timrs to make sure I did not miss any...

Anyway I like it a lot... getting false clues is an awesome idea LOL... trying not to search web for quests but... sometimes it's just... too complicated /grin

As a second MMO it's great - something in different climate then SWTOR... much darker... I don't think I could play it as main MMO without getting depressed /grin. In small doses it's going to be awesome.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E