Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stories of the death of Guild Wars 2

Comments

• ezpz77ezpz77 Member Posts: 227
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by ezpz77
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

GW2 is also still in the TOP 5 of amazon.com PC game sales, despite the numerous other popular games released lately.

But that's also only a lie, a conspiration - the little group of doom sayers who, on this site and others, post that games are dead because they happened to not enjoy them, can only be right. I mean, if John Doe on the MMORPG.COM forums says a game is failing, it can only be true.

I don't think too many people go to Amazon to get video games. I buy a lot of shit from Amazon, but never a video game. Nearly every comapny offers the game directly. Between Steam and other forms of digital distribution the only reason to even consider Amazon is if you want a CE or box.

You mean you're making stuff up to suit your own argument.  I bought GW2 from Amazon because they offered me $5 off.  I buy games from Amazon all the time if I can get it cheaper.  A lot of people buy games from Amazon.  That isn't too hard to figure out really.

I never download from steam or origin or any of those other services.  I buy from the publisher, from GoG, or from Amazon.

I wasn't arguing against or hating on GW2 you overeager man-child. I think the game is doing fine, but I also think there aren't too many people that buy video games from Amazon. We'll agree to disagree because your evidence is about as thin as mine.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Maephisto

For all those people who cant get a good nights rest if GW2 does well......

I feel sorry for you when GW2 wins GOTY award from 75% of sites that even offer that award.  I imagine sales will increase after everyone gives out thier rewards as well.

Ambien......I suggest Ambien (and a fifth of Glenlivet 12).

I feel sorry for all the people who can't get to sleep without saying," GW2 is DEAD - DEAD - DEAD!' I feel sorry for their little lives also.

It's a bloody game - it won't cure cancer and it won't end the world either.

• HefaistosHefaistos Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Originally posted by KingJiggly
    Originally posted by Hefaistos
    Originally posted by Volkon

... have been greatly exaggerated. 

I think we may have our explanation as to why zones are still showing up as Very High to Full.

Because its a MMO with NO SUB. But the game is not #1 at anything. Not the best pve, not the best pvp, not the best spvp, not the best anything. Just another Free Themepark mmo.

As for # check World of Tanks accounts, League of Legends or other games that worth name it. 

Free Gamez R 2ez and 2cheap 

So you disagree with successful business practices? *looks at tsw*

Sorry bro, i would love to play GW2 but not a single #$%^ is given this days about GW2. Its like 100.000.000 r eating today from MCDonald. What would i want to follow the crowd? 

Business practice games r for regular gamer. I'm pretty much a sandbox mmo gamer that im trying all mmos on the market cuz no sandboxie worth playing atm.

oh wait...Darkfall on Monday 17th

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Um... well maybe just me but the article looks kinda like garbage there... not sure if your trying to use that in some way as a 'ha, shows you!" thing because it even lacks anything to say otherwise. No, I don't think its dead but your article shows no bit of proof.

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995
    Originally posted by hikaru77

GW2 is also still in the TOP 5 of amazon.com PC game sales, despite the numerous other popular games released lately.

But that's also only a lie, a conspiration - the little group of doom sayers who, on this site and others, post that games are dead because they happened to not enjoy them, can only be right. I mean, if John Doe on the MMORPG.COM forums says a game is failing, it can only be true.

Nobody is saying that the game is dead, but the Hype was just insanely huge and a few month later,it was just that, hype.

That is why it is still in the top 5 of amazon... All hype. Do you hear yourself? 

But what about all the other mmos on the top 5 of amazon, oh wait.  nvm.

It's the only MMO in the PC Best Sellers top 10 on Amazon.  However, GW2 is a less popular Amazon purchase than Microsoft Xbox 360 Controller for Windows (a gamepad for PCs), PS3 Ear Force P11 Amplified Stereo Gaming Headset (a headset for Playstation 3), Ear Force X12 Gaming Headset and Amplified Stereo Sound (a headset for xbox 360) and the only other PC game, StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm.

Based purely upon the top 5 PC Best Sellers and the fact that 3 of 5 are peripherals, I feel like Amazon is not the first place most people go for thier PC game purchases.  I could be wrong, as I do not have specific stats on any of this, but it is the feeling I get.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    although i play and absolutely love gw2 i have spent many a lonely hour on the game..then out of nowhere you come across 10-20  peeps..its a strange game to judge..because it has no sub so hard to judge..just like TSW no sub fee so hard to detect how many are playing.good move by funcom btw.the chat is dead in gw2 on ring of fire server..well at least in my map area.
  • VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by kevjards
    although i play and absolutely love gw2 i have spent many a lonely hour on the game..then out of nowhere you come across 10-20  peeps..its a strange game to judge..because it has no sub so hard to judge..just like TSW no sub fee so hard to detect how many are playing.good move by funcom btw.the chat is dead in gw2 on ring of fire server..well at least in my map area.

I've noticed that out of towns the chat seems relatively dead regardless of population. I think I know why... the combat doesn't really allow for you to type and chat at the same time, and if people are running events they rarely have time to stop and type. Also, the chat box in the lower left... on a widescreen flat monitor (what's mine... 1900 x 1280 rez I think?) I hardly ever notice it. I've missed plenty of things said in guild chat and the like. 

That's just a couple guesses on my part, but it seems feasible... out of the way relatively discreet chat box combined with active combat minimizes chat in PvE.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by killion81

It's the only MMO in the PC Best Sellers top 10 on Amazon.  However, GW2 is a less popular Amazon purchase than Microsoft Xbox 360 Controller for Windows (a gamepad for PCs), PS3 Ear Force P11 Amplified Stereo Gaming Headset (a headset for Playstation 3), Ear Force X12 Gaming Headset and Amplified Stereo Sound (a headset for xbox 360) and the only other PC game, StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm.

Based purely upon the top 5 PC Best Sellers and the fact that 3 of 5 are peripherals, I feel like Amazon is not the first place most people go for thier PC game purchases.  I could be wrong, as I do not have specific stats on any of this, but it is the feeling I get.

Learn to sort...

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Video-Games-PC-compatible/zgbs/videogames/4924894011/ref=zg_bs_nav_vg_2_229575

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

Learn to sort...

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Video-Games-PC-compatible/zgbs/videogames/4924894011/ref=zg_bs_nav_vg_2_229575

Dishonored at #4... my son wants that for Christmas. Skyrim at #6 still after all this time? OK, that's impressive... is this a grand total or over a period of time I wonder?

Oderint, dum metuant.

Learn to sort...

Why is BLOPs II beneath GW2? We all know that GW2 didn't come close to outselling BLOPs II. All that tells me is that more people bought GW2 than BLOPs on Amazon. It doesn't tell me anything at all about the health of either game. Pointless list is pointless.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

Learn to sort...

Why is BLOPs II beneath GW2? We all know that GW2 didn't come close to outselling BLOPs II. All that tells me is that more people bought GW2 than BLOPs on Amazon. It doesn't tell me anything at all about the health of either game. Pointless list is pointless.

Its PC selling charts.

Originally posted by Kuppa

Learn to sort...

Its PC selling charts.

Alright then. Change Black Ops to Skyrim.

Originally posted by Kuppa

Learn to sort...

Its PC selling charts.

That's why I wonder if it's a running total or covers a certain period of time. 

Oderint, dum metuant.

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995

Nobody is saying that the game is dead, but the Hype was just insanely huge and a few month later,it was just that, hype.

That is why it is still in the top 5 of amazon... All hype. Do you hear yourself? 

Yeah, it's crazy how console purchases blow pc and specifically mmo purchases out of the water.  I'm looking at other top lists and noticed that people buy more books from amazon so I have a feeling people don't buy anything else.  I could be wrong because I'm also just making stuff up, just like you did.

Did you get that feeling because Amazon is a small retailer and probably have insignificant sales?  Or where did you pull that out of?  Does it matter if something else unrelated sells more?

The pictures from this small website show the teeny tiny warehouses: http://kotaku.com/5966438/the-inside-of-an-amazon-warehouse-is-a-terrifying-sight/gallery/1?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

Here are some fun facts per http://www.theesa.com/facts/pdfs/ESA_EF_2012.pdf

Top 20 Selling Computer Games of 2011

by Units Sold

RANK  TITLE  ESRB RATING

1  STAR WARS: THE OLD REPUBLIC  Teen

2  ELDER SCROLLS V: SKYRIM  Mature

3  STARCRAFT II: WINGS OF LIBERTY  Teen

4  THE SIMS 3  Teen

5  WORLD OF WARCRAFT: CATACLYSM  Teen

6  BATTLEFIELD 3  Mature

7  THE SIMS 3: GENERATIONS  Teen

8  THE SIMS: MEDIEVAL  Teen

9  THE SIMS 3: PETS  Teen

10  PORTAL 2  Everyone 10+

11  RIFT  Teen

12  DRAGON AGE II  Mature

13  THE SIMS 3: LATE NIGHT EXPANSION PACK  Teen

14  THE SIMS 3 DELUXE  Teen

15  CIVILIZATION V  Everyone 10+

16  WORLD OF WARCRAFT: BATTLE CHEST  Teen

17  WORLD OF WARCRAFT: WRATH OF THE LICH KING EXPANSION PACK  Teen

18  SHOGUN 2: TOTAL WAR  Teen

19  THE SIMS 3: OUTDOOR LIVING STUFF  Teen

20  CALL OF DUTY: MODERN WARFARE 3  Mature

Source: The NPD Group/Retail Tracking Service

Sales sure were important for SW:TOR.  That game must have been a HUGE success that redefined the entire MMORPG industry.  I mean it totally outsold every other PC game of 2011 regardless of genre.  This isn't just on Amazon either, this is all retail outlets.  Even stranger is that Amazon's 2011 Best Selling PC Games don't seem to match up to all retail outlets per http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.cfm/2012/01/15/amazon_reveals_2011_s_best-selling_pc_games

Physical (platforms are combined, but collector's editions are not included) 
    Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 
    Just Dance 3 
    Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 
    Battlefield 3 
    Batman: Arkham City 
    Madden NFL 12 
    Portal 2 
    Just Dance 2 
    Gears of War 3 
    FIFA Soccer 12 

Digital 
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution 
    Battlefield 3 
    The Sims 3 
    Battlefield Bad Company 2 
    Sid Meir's Civilization V 
    Dead Island 
    Total War: Shogun 2 
    Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 
    Crysis 2 
    Dragon Age 2

Using this as sort of a reference, I am going to have to stand firm on not really believing that Amazon is the place that most people go to purchase their PC Games.  If it were, it would be far more likely that Amazon's PC Best Sellers would be close to the industry totals.  Maybe I'm just reading these facts wrong though, or maybe The NPD Group and Amazon made up the numbers they reported.  I don't know.

Edit: While the Physical for Amazon's numbers do include all platforms, Digital is PC only.

Skyrim: PC, XBox 350, Playstation 3.

GW2: PC only.

So GW2 beats Skyrim on PC - what's the problem? Ah yes, that conspiracy theory.

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618
    Originally posted by greenreen

And if Korrigan_Doe says it isn't failing we should buy that too, huh. Pot calling kettle as they say. As glamourous as you may feel yourself to be, your one person opinion is still worth as much as your competition's one person opinion. Sales don't indicate usage and they don't signify long-term customers. I've had things gifted to me that I never touched or repurchased because they weren't for me, they were gifts.

There's a difference between pretending a game is failing without any proof, or actually, against all evidence, and saying it's not failing with a ton of evidence and proof, along with a healthy in game population with overflows in Lion's Arch even at off hours and queues for the World vs World areas. I was leveling my Elementalist a bit today (level 23) and was meeting other players of my level all the time. Crafting areas, banks and auctions houses are crowded any time of the day.

Gandara server (EU).

I believe people who present proofs, facts, and not those saying a game is failing just because they dislike it, without any proof or evidence. Actually, that's even against the forum rules here and it's called "trolling" I think.

Oh, you don't have to throw the trolling card at me. I work on evidence. So, I hear you say that you (1 person) are not having any population problems.

Now I look at the official forums and I see all these people having problems so I account for them also, just because they don't post here, their voices aren't unheard, they aren't just saying it on the official forums either, the word is spreading.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Thinking-of-returning-how-is-the-population

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Orr-is-dead

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/The-brighter-side-of-having-few-people-around

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/75938-where-has-everyone-gone/

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/371352/Anyone-else-think-its-getting-a-bit-quiet-out-there.html

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Overflow-FotM-and-LFG -> Someone that can't even get 5 people together for a group and must use overflow. And again -> https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/How-to-play-FOTM-if-you-can-t-join-overflow All because they upped their "fake numbers" of full just to give spots for the events people will visit that come on casually.  Someone already pointed out in another thread that they made Full called "Very High" in another thread here and "Medium" became "Full". The game started off with Low, Medium, High, and Full, I was there for it. There never was a "Very Full". When I joined, my server was medium and it went up to Full then never wavered. Now it's probably listed as "Very Full" because they are dropping numbers, everyone knows it and they are trying to use it as a way for people to say everything is fine. It's the one thing they screenshoot and carry around like evidence.

They don't know if that cap is 200 people or 2k people. It's like someone calling you up and saying "It's on sale, up to 50 lbs for a $1 a pound!". You would say "A pound of what?". A pound of cabbage isn't a deal for that but a pound of lobsters is a deal for that. The consumer has no clue what "Full" or "Very Full" are, they are proprietary and not tied to any real numbers. You know what we do know... in a heartbeat they can raise and lower them, that we have seen proof of.

There are more population threads to be linked but since I don't think you will read any of them. I'll just leave this as is.

You posted in some of the threads, I don't know why you would act ignorant of population complaints unless you have an agenda - to defend the game ruthlessly is the only one I can see.

Not to mention... today is a patch day. People always login in force for events.

Wana know something funny? all those posts are after the karka patch. What does that mean? Orr nerfed and FotM introduced.

Every single player is doing FotM, why would they do anything else? Best drops, exp and money.

The open world is dead, thats for sure, the game itself is nowhere near close, evident by the number of overflows in lions arch.

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777

Yeah, it's crazy how console purchases blow pc and specifically mmo purchases out of the water.  I'm looking at other top lists and noticed that people buy more books from amazon so I have a feeling people don't buy anything else.  I could be wrong because I'm also just making stuff up, just like you did.

Did you get that feeling because Amazon is a small retailer and probably have insignificant sales?  Or where did you pull that out of?  Does it matter if something else unrelated sells more?

The pictures from this small website show the teeny tiny warehouses: http://kotaku.com/5966438/the-inside-of-an-amazon-warehouse-is-a-terrifying-sight/gallery/1?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

Here are some fun facts per http://www.theesa.com/facts/pdfs/ESA_EF_2012.pdf

Top 20 Selling Computer Games of 2011

by Units Sold

RANK  TITLE  ESRB RATING

1  STAR WARS: THE OLD REPUBLIC  Teen

2  ELDER SCROLLS V: SKYRIM  Mature

3  STARCRAFT II: WINGS OF LIBERTY  Teen

4  THE SIMS 3  Teen

5  WORLD OF WARCRAFT: CATACLYSM  Teen

6  BATTLEFIELD 3  Mature

7  THE SIMS 3: GENERATIONS  Teen

8  THE SIMS: MEDIEVAL  Teen

9  THE SIMS 3: PETS  Teen

10  PORTAL 2  Everyone 10+

11  RIFT  Teen

12  DRAGON AGE II  Mature

13  THE SIMS 3: LATE NIGHT EXPANSION PACK  Teen

14  THE SIMS 3 DELUXE  Teen

15  CIVILIZATION V  Everyone 10+

16  WORLD OF WARCRAFT: BATTLE CHEST  Teen

17  WORLD OF WARCRAFT: WRATH OF THE LICH KING EXPANSION PACK  Teen

18  SHOGUN 2: TOTAL WAR  Teen

19  THE SIMS 3: OUTDOOR LIVING STUFF  Teen

20  CALL OF DUTY: MODERN WARFARE 3  Mature

Source: The NPD Group/Retail Tracking Service

Sales sure were important for SW:TOR.  That game must have been a HUGE success that redefined the entire MMORPG industry.  I mean it totally outsold every other PC game of 2011 regardless of genre.  This isn't just on Amazon either, this is all retail outlets.  Even stranger is that Amazon's 2011 Best Selling PC Games don't seem to match up to all retail outlets per http://www.afterdawn.com/news/article.cfm/2012/01/15/amazon_reveals_2011_s_best-selling_pc_games

Physical (platforms are combined, but collector's editions are not included) 
    Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 
    Just Dance 3 
    Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 
    Battlefield 3 
    Batman: Arkham City 
    Madden NFL 12 
    Portal 2 
    Just Dance 2 
    Gears of War 3 
    FIFA Soccer 12 

Digital 
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution 
    Battlefield 3 
    The Sims 3 
    Battlefield Bad Company 2 
    Sid Meir's Civilization V 
    Dead Island 
    Total War: Shogun 2 
    Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 
    Crysis 2 
    Dragon Age 2

Using this as sort of a reference, I am going to have to stand firm on not really believing that Amazon is the place that most people go to purchase their PC Games.  If it were, it would be far more likely that Amazon's PC Best Sellers would be close to the industry totals.  Maybe I'm just reading these facts wrong though, or maybe The NPD Group and Amazon made up the numbers they reported.  I don't know.

Edit: While the Physical for Amazon's numbers do include all platforms, Digital is PC only.

Your forgetting swtor had a sub. They failed becuase they couldnt keep enough people to pay there expenses, a cost which gw2 is free of since it is b2p. 

And i consider it even more of a success that gw2 is the top 5 because it shows people are going out and buying it online, unlike what seems to be many other pc games. Amazon is a huge seller of well everything, to be in the top of that list and retain it for as long as it has is very tough. You also need to remember no major pc games are coming out, which simply proves my point about gw2 hanging in there.

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    Originally posted by austriacus
    ...snip

...snip

...snip
    ...snip

Wana know something funny? all those posts are after the karka patch. What does that mean? Orr nerfed and FotM introduced.

Every single player is doing FotM, why would they do anything else? Best drops, exp and money.

The open world is dead, thats for sure, the game itself is nowhere near close, evident by the number of overflows in lions arch.

Yup, the ascended gear patch and the karka presentation just solidified it all for many people. The game changed and the players reflect that. I tried to get recent threads on the subject so it's natural that they are post karka but honestly, I don't remember anyone leaving in bulk on the game until after that stupid ascended gear was added.

Sure, people were going slowly but I never saw them leave in chunks like the fractals introduced. The day I left there were 2 people talking about the future of it and what it would do - they were right, every bit of it has come to fruition. The reason we watch things like this is to be aware when they might occur again, same reason we relive anything from the past. Knowing the cycle and the outcome can help protect us against this happening in future, or at least recognizing it when it starts in games we are playing and have the forethought to jump out as early as we can. I don't think it's a disservice to analyze when decisions affect games though some take it as offensive to insult their pets.

Anet has already stated they were wrong to implement the ascended gear that way, and plan to make changes so the gear is more widely distributed and accepted by the community. They were hasty in putting it there. However, the population has hardly changed, i still see dozens of people in each zone, and i am in the least opulated server. One thing anet must do is give some incentive to go back to lower lvl zones. 

Skyrim: PC, XBox 350, Playstation 3.

GW2: PC only.

So GW2 beats Skyrim on PC - what's the problem? Ah yes, that conspiracy theory.

I'm not conspiring against your favorite video game, dude. Not once have I said anything negative about GW2. In fact, I play the game and enjoy it. I'm just saying that Amazon sales numbers really don't mean too much in terms of the overall health of the game. Next time, respond to my post without the accusatory bullshit.

And you may be right about Skyrim. It has sold 10 milion copies as of July 31, 2012. 14% of those sales come from PC, but I still don't see how Skyrim is sixth on the Amazon best sellers list and GW2 is second. The only announced verifiable numbers we have for GW2, that I can find at a cursory glance, are 2,000,000 sales. If we are to believe that the Amazon sales chart is an accurate source of information, that would mean that Guild Wars 2 has sold approximately four times as many copies as Skyrim has on PC which the data does not support. 

So, one again, pointless sales numbers are pointless.

http://www.statisticbrain.com/skyrim-the-elder-scrolls-v-statistics/

I'm not conspiring against your favorite video game, dude. Not once have I said anything negative about GW2. In fact, I play the game and enjoy it. I'm just saying that Amazon sales numbers really don't mean too much in terms of the overall health of the game.

The conspiracy thing wasn't against you, but in general. It seems to be an all time favorite on game forums, as I said, I've witnessed this for WoW for over 8 years. If a game is successful, it can't be possible, there must be a trick.

I'm also not saying that amazon sales numbers are the end of it all - but when several sites have similar results, for both boxed and digital copies, then it's not just a coincidence. It means the game is successful, no matter what anyone on any game forum likes to believe for whatever reason.

There's no conspiracy, no tricks, GW2 is selling well, and is still doing so almost 4 months after its release.

And you may be right about Skyrim. It has sold 10 milion copies as of July 31, 2012. 14% of those sales come from PC, but I still don't see how Skyrim is sixth on the Amazon best sellers list and GW2 is second. The only announced verifiable numbers we have for GW2, that I can find at a cursory glance, are 2,000,000 sales. If we are to believe that the Amazon sales chart is an accurate source of information, that would mean that Guild Wars 2 has sold approximately four times as many copies as Skyrim has on PC which the data does not support.

The 2,000,000 sales were in September... the FACT that the game stays at the top of charts of SEVERAL sites means it's still doing just fine. Nothing more, nothing less.

Have a nice evening - I've a game to play now :)

Respect, walk
    Yes, they are back !

• Camaro68Camaro68 Member Posts: 50

Players these days devour content...its rare for a game to be able to hold onto it's audience for very long.   GW2 is a solid game but really guys, its not the second coming and players have left in droves.

Games like LoL, WoW and COD4 are a rare breed.  No matter how much hype and goodwill a game generates, it's chances of being a longterm hit with players are pretty low.

This game didn't really innovate much and its been sent to scrapyard with countless other MMOs.  The quest-based casual formula for MMOs is dead, done and gone.  The next MMO that retains it's audience will do something radically different than what we've been getting for the past 8 years.

I play SWTOR just for the novelty of lightsabers and the audacity of Bioware to create a MMORPG in a futuristic setting instead of the usual medival fantasy world but even it ultimately stuck to the current MMO formula and paid the price for it.

• shawn01shawn01 Member UncommonPosts: 166

At this point I have pretty much given up hope of finding a game that i will play for 9 years like i played Dark Age of Camelot. GW2 is very similar to WoW. Little zones with nonsensical geography, mobs spaced evenly throughout, no /stick or /face, etc. It doesnt feel like a World, the way my beloved Hibernia felt as though it was a real place.

Having said that, i will also say that taken for what it is, a themepark hold your hand no brains required to play game, i enjoyed GW2. I think i played for almost 400 hours. If you calculate the cost per hour, i paid 15 cents an hour, which imo is some very cheap entertainment.

25 years ago when i got my Nintendo, i would save up to buy a game, which back then cost 40 to 60 dollars, and usually beat it in a week or two. I loved some of those games. Games like Zelda, Metroid, Kid Icuras, Ghosts and Goblins, Castlevania, Mike Tyson's Punch Out, etc. I loved them, but im sure i never played any of them for 400 hours.

Was i hoping for more from GW2? Of course, but i didnt expect it. And i feel as though i got my money's worth out of it. I'm afraid, much as i hope that im wrong, that no one is interested in making Worlds for us to live in anymore. So we have to redifine our definition of success.

As to whether or not the game is dying. Yes it is dying. None of my guildies with whom I play every new game is still playing. I'm not still playing. But since its buy to play, i dont feel bad about it. It's nice that i can come back to play for free any time i want, though i probly wont.

The biggest reason imo that these games that have come out since WoW are dying is that they dont require any socialization. Everyone can solo pretty much everything in the open world. I made 3 chars to level 80, and i either soloed or duo'd my way to 80. In daoc, when i made my first level 50 i knew just about everyone on my server in my realm. Sure it was hard to level and it took forever, but it was a social experience, and for me that is the best reason to play MMO's. They have taken everything social out of these new "themepark" games, and they become boring grind fests. In DAoC we had to grind, a lot lol, but it was fun for a variety of reasons. As i said you got to know people, because you had to group. I tried to solo on my hero, and most times i would end up losing EXP. You had to group and it took a long time to level, and a pleasant by-product of that was a sort of sense of competition. I wanted to beat the people i knew to level 50. In GW2 i didnt meet any new people. I didnt care who was what level, since it went by so fast it didnt matter.

They have removed Camps from new games, which i also think is a big mistake. Having camps of mobs in the open world makes it more social, because you can go to a camp and find people there and ask to join their grp. Does it suck sometimes when people try to steal your camp? Yes but running around solo all the time is much worse.

Instancing is the devil. The reason i played DAoC for nine years, wasnt just because it was a great game, but because of the people and friends i had in the game.

Another major problem with GW2, and the reason i quit playing is that the PVP is terrible. Giant red names that you can see through solid objects at clip range pretty much takes any element of strategy out of the game. Some guy was out there trying to lure me into an ambush, unfortunately for him, i could see the giant red names of his friends sticking out from behind the obstacle they were using to hide. Also the fact that your enemies are pretty much anonymous is stupid. In DAoC you knew your enemy, and they knew you. PvP against anonymous players who change every week is meaningless. Even without realm points, in daoc i had people who i loved to fight.

Sorry about the book, it's just sad that a genre that started off so well has only gotten dumbed down and turned into fast food. I miss the days when only us nerdy guys had computers and played pc games.