Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Taking legal action against The Secret World

Comments

• maxhydemaxhyde Member Posts: 6

Well I did the same thing...but I have no doubt that any suit that comes up regarding it will be quickly thrown out by a judge.

You paid 200 to basically cover a lifetime of subs.  Done...They have granted that, of course now it costs 30 dollars (BTW I paid $49.95 and I imagine you did too may as well add the extra 20 in there).  So you got 6 months (90) or almost half your money for the service you intended...and now they change the model and you will still reap benefits forever as long as you login and use it in the store

Now I get something I was never going to have...money in the shop.  I paid for a sub and decided extras (store stuff) weren't going to be worth it to me so I have never even looked at the cash shop except I think I got my free stuff from there.  So bonus now I have a lifetime sub, free money and all DLC content (not sure this was included in the GM pack).  Pretty sure I am coming out ahead, even without the 20% discount, just not in the same way as I had thought I would.

Anyway I love the game and if my $250 helped  get it released or helps get more content and a more vibrant comunity I am all for it because I think the game is innovative and fun to play.  If it helps improve the game, even better.  I am just saying I invested in the game.  I am entertained by it and the only way I feel I lose in this deal is if they shut it down alltogether

Time will tell but I think I spent my money wisely now and that is all that matters to me

• pauly6478pauly6478 Member Posts: 276
    After years of seeing what game companies have done to screw over their customers I gotta say shame on you for ever putting in for a lifetime sub.
  • korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by zephermarkus
    Originally posted by Synthetick
    Originally posted by CalmOceans
    Isn't this why mobile providers let former users get "grandfathered in", because if they change the terms of service when someone has a contract, they get sued?

Try READING the terms of services, jesus.

Of course a mobile provider has a completely different terms of service than an multiplayer online video game where within that industry the pay models are constantly shifting.

Apples and grapefruit.

EULA AND TOS never hold up in court and the customer always wins. Tos and Eula are there so that ididots that don;t know any better are scared to try and do anything. Go read and mmo lawsuit and u will see the person that lost an account or had some other gripe that is covered in the tos the courts have always hrown the tos and eula out. You can't  take payment for something then take it away that is stealing.

I wonder, could you give me just 1 proof where the actual customer won against any mmorpg company because the company introduced some changes to their existing game?

Oh and BTW, for TOA or EULA to be void one of the involving parties has to actually breach it.. And gaming company made it to cover up everything they might eventually need, and introducing new game mechanics or changing their product (of which you actually have no ownership on - neither the account you bought is yours [by the TOA]). So there's not much you can go for to prove your case, because whatever you'll try they got it covered with it...

To make it even harder for you to win or prove a case, companies like this usually have the best lawyers money can buy. :D

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• zyklonianzyklonian Member UncommonPosts: 51
    this is why you never sign up for these lifetime deals but there will also be that select few that always do and get mad when they get burned.  learned my lesson with turbine years ago.  anyways kudos to funcom for doing this ill acually buy TSW now.
  • SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Originally posted by pauly6478
    After years of seeing what game companies have done to screw over their customers I gotta say shame on you for ever putting in for a lifetime sub.

Why? This is my first lifetime sub after playing MMOs over 10 years and I don't regret this purchase. There are some apparently annoyed by this move and there are people like me who like the change. 

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Do people really "take legal action" over a couple hundred bucks? That's 15 minutes of a decent lawyers time...
  • PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

• IggiePuffIggiePuff Member UncommonPosts: 146
    Originally posted by banzai014
    Originally posted by Ortwig

Sigh.  Please go read the FAQ (carefully!) on how things are changing for subs and lifetimers.  I think you will see that both are making out very well with the transition, even better than where things were yesterday.  It's actually a better deal than the old GM pack.

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=62789

It doesn't matter. It might be a deal, but it's not the deal I signed up for: and 1200 points is still $10, less than $15 a month.

The right thing to do is refund our remaining time and if we want to sub for your "better deal" we will.

So you're getting to play the game as you always have, but now you're getting that and more bonuses and that's a bad thing?

$14.99 a month lets you play the whole game plus they are throwing in some types of a bonus and you're complaining?

• banzai014banzai014 Member Posts: 27

Well after Anarchy Online, Age of Conan and now The Secret World, it does appear that Funcom's policy is that there's one born every minute - although in this case not enough it would seem to prevent the game going F2P within months.

You have to wonder why the company keeps churning out MMOs instead of supporting them - because they burn all their old customers.

I really wish this wasn't my first MMO. I feel WoW has made a lot of people more savvy about how they spend their money.

• fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683
    Originally posted by Psychow
    Do people really "take legal action" over a couple hundred bucks? That's 15 minutes of a decent lawyers time...

It's kind of a matter of principle.  While the wounds are still fresh taking a course of action seems like a legitimate way forward.  But in the cold light of day, you realise it's not worth the hassle.   Instead you become bitter and twisted towards said company.   Again I would say if Funcom want some more people like me, willing to put the boot in at every opportunity and looking forward to their ultimate demise, carry on.  If they want to make things right, for once, offer a refund to the lifetime subs who are not happy.  It will probably be a handful of people who will take up the offer and it shows as a company they have changed.

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    any lifetimer that demands and gets a refund should also have their characters and account deleted IMO demanding a refund for such a blatantly unwarranted reason is in my mind similar to doing a credit card charge back and most mmos delete accounts that chargeback
  • WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600
    Originally posted by TribeofOne
    any lifetimer how demands and gets a refund should also have their characters and account deleted IMO demanding a refund for such a blatantly unwarranted reason id in my mind similar to do a credit card charge back and most mmos delete account that chargeback

This should be true to anyone that plays any game unless it's a console game and their disk was defective. So agreed.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by fallenlords
    Originally posted by Psychow Do people really "take legal action" over a couple hundred bucks? That's 15 minutes of a decent lawyers time...
    It's kind of a matter of principle.  While the wounds are still fresh taking a course of action seems like a legitimate way forward.  But in the cold light of day, you realise it's not worth the hassle.   Instead you become bitter and twisted towards said company.   Again I would say if Funcom want some more people like me, willing to put the boot in at every opportunity and looking forward to their ultimate demise, carry on.  If they want to make things right, for once, offer a refund to the lifetime subs who are not happy.  It will probably be a handful of people who will take up the offer and it shows as a company they have changed.

If you were a player of The Secret World, what has changed in your experience of playing the game? What did you lose?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Well after Anarchy Online, Age of Conan and now The Secret World, it does appear that Funcom's policy is that there's one born every minute - although in this case not enough it would seem to prevent the game going F2P within months.You have to wonder why the company keeps churning out MMOs instead of supporting them - because they burn all their old customers.I really wish this wasn't my first MMO. I feel WoW has made a lot of people more savvy about how they spend their money.

What exactly have you lost in the transition to B2P?

How did Funcom burn you? Feel free to be specific.

• bbethelbbethel Member UncommonPosts: 201

Reading some of these post make me laugh. I played TSW till I had no more content. I quit soon after that. Worse part for me is I had bough 2 6 month subs. Becouse I though I was going to play the game for atleast a year. I had no plans on comming back to the game till I herd that is it B2P. Now  I am comming back to the game.

From what I see its very simular to GW2 set up now. I dont see that as a bad thing.

If you bought the life time sub then you will be getting in game money and access to all the new content that everybody will have to pay extra for. So again I dont see what Life timers are complaining about.  I have a life time sub to STO and I love that I dont have to Pay for anything and they give me money to spend in there shop which I use all the time. 

• banzai014banzai014 Member Posts: 27
    any lifetimer that demands and gets a refund should also have their characters and account deleted IMO demanding a refund for such a blatantly unwarranted reason is in my mind similar to doing a credit card charge back and most mmos delete accounts that chargeback

Acceptable for a full refund. I would like to blot this game from my memory, so delete my character and restore the hole in my wallet to when I was blissfully unaware of what TSW was.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

Acceptable for a full refund. I would like to blot this game from my memory, so delete my character and restore the hole in my wallet to when I was blissfully unaware of what TSW was.

Have you tried getting a refund, if you wait passed the legal 30 days then not getting a refund is your fault  not theirs.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• ZyzraZyzra Member Posts: 354

My internet service cut out a few months back.  Was down for hours.  I called up the ISP the next day, and asked about it.  They were kind enough to take the whole month off my bill.

Point is I was incapable of using my internet during that time, yet instead of seeking legal counsel I made a friendly polite phone call and am happy with the results.

You are still able to play the game you paid time for.  You literally have not lost the ability to play.  Your characters weren't even wiped, Darkfall style.  And yet you're going to file a lawsuit?

I would actually like you to consult with a lawyer, personally.  It'd be funny to hear you be angry about how you were laughed out of a law office.

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    Originally posted by Zyzra

My internet service cut out a few months back.  Was down for hours.  I called up the ISP the next day, and asked about it.  They were kind enough to take the whole month off my bill.

Point is I was incapable of using my internet during that time, yet instead of seeking legal counsel I made a friendly polite phone call and am happy with the results.

You are still able to play the game you paid time for.  You literally have not lost the ability to play.  Your characters weren't even wiped, Darkfall style.  And yet you're going to file a lawsuit?

I would actually like you to consult with a lawyer, personally.  It'd be funny to hear you be angry about how you were laughed out of a law office.

Thats the funny thing, there are, to my knowledge, literally NO damages.  Just some financial loss from not waiting to buy months later, of course that could said for most games, especially in the age of sales on Steam and other such distribution systems. 

• SoulStainSoulStain Member Posts: 202
    I guess the OP would rather Funcm just shut the game down.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Your simplest form of litigation is to prove "misrepresentation" of the product you bought.Then find any past claims made by the developer to support this.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WoopinWoopin Member UncommonPosts: 1,012
    Enjoy paying the legal fees when you loose. And funcoms too ;)

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

My only gripe as lifetimer is that we don't get every expansion "DLC" as free.

We have to spend the points we get for lifetime subscription on the content packs which are sold at non-discounted prices.

I was expecting to get the whole game and the upcoming content packs in a single purchase :o

Originally posted by GoldenArrow
    My only gripe as lifetimer is that we don't get every expansion "DLC" as free.We have to spend the points we get for lifetime subscription on the content packs which are sold at non-discounted prices.I was expecting to get the whole game and the upcoming content packs in a single purchase :o

You'll get enough points to buy the DLC. Unless you spend all your points, every month on content that's already in the cash shop.

• aiwe2143aiwe2143 Member UncommonPosts: 73

both me and my husband  have lifetime accounts to this game and both approve of this choice.  I am getting what i paid for plus more since we'll be getting the points every month and enough points to pay for every expansion coming out.  We would have had to shell out the cash for those seperately at any rate if they hadn't changed to this model.

The method they are using is similar to what Lord of the Rings online uses and I have been a lifetimer on that one since beta and have only seen it get better.

just my opinion on the matter.

This discussion has been closed.