Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Finally .. no more sub games for me

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by BlueSage13

Originally posted by nariusseldon The funny thing is that i am more than capable to deciding how to have fun, and some will come in speaking as if i won't be having any fun. Well ... if i am not .. i will do something else .. duh!
    Cause you have nothing invested in said game.

Charging a player money for a game they don't have fun playing isn't going to make the game fun to play. If a player is having fun in a game, they will invest time into the game, even if they don't spend money on the game.

and that makes them less of a parasite how?

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by coxyroxy

Your aware that TSW is now a non sub game once you have purchased it right?

Much better than the so called FTP model. More games in the future should folllow Arenanet and FC with this model.

I'm very aware that FC has turned to B2P, but they'll add a cash shop shortly. I personally believed that they would have done this anyways. The game screamed F2P from the start.

IF I recall corrently There was a cash shop right from day one..  May be remembering it wrong because there was a way to buy things using points but pretty sure I could have bought them using RL money as welll.  Only thing I wanted was the red leather jacket and had enough of whatever the weird coins were for it. 

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by xAPOCx

And the picture starts to become clear. Could you be yet another console gamer that crept over into the MMO world? I believe so.

You make it sound like it is a bad thing. The MMO market, or devs, prob welcome any other gaming segment.

Secondly, you probably mean SP and online game players. Lots of people do that on PCs, not consoles. And MMOs are obviously only a slice of gaming.

I highly doubt everyone will be just playing MMOs. Personally i don't. Why should i? If there is a good SP game, and i have fun with it, it is silly not to play.

MMOs are no longer a "slice" of gaming. To be a slice it would have to be individual and thats not the case today. Over the years other mediums have made there way into the MMORPG realm. most of this invasion can be blamed on the console crowd. Look through these forums. no one can even define what a MMORPG is anymore. Its like Frankestines monster made up of different parts, into some hideous creature.

Originally posted by VengeSunsoar

Yes it has.  More games, more players, more choice, more choice in how I play each game than most old games. 

edit - so you admit you haven't established that there is a console mentality and yet you accuse someone of being a console gamer based on their statements, despite that those same statements state they don't have a console.  Yep makes sense to me. 

So i have to write the theseus before i can have an opinion? My opinion is based on what iv witnessed over the years. And its true today just as it was 5 years ago.

Thier is a type of player. The ones that want to game jump. The ones that cant spend more then a mouth playing a game. The ones that need to be lead by the nose. The ones that dont feel like they need to pay. The ones that want everything handed to them. The ones that dont want to spend the time to get anything for themselves.

The list goes on and on. And its these same people that try and get console features into MMORPGS. Its the ease of just putting down the controler and playing another game for 2 weeks that they want and they now want that from thier MMOs.

Hence "The Console Crowd"

And come one now. Your telling me that this guy has never owned a console? NEVER? give me a break.

Originally posted by Onomas

Yes it has.  More games, more players, more choice, more choice in how I play each game than most old games. 

Actualy you are getting less choice compared to older mmorpg's.

You dont have features, player interaction, and so much more that older games provided. Thus you cant have more options and choices.

This

edit - so you admit you haven't established that there is a console mentality and yet you accuse someone of being a console gamer based on their statements, despite that those same statements state they don't have a console.  Yep makes sense to me. 

I don't know what to say to the guy. He's just provoking just for the laughs I suppse. I thoroughly believe anything a console can do a PC/MAC or what have you can do better. My case still stands against this guy. I don't know any MMO's that bombard me with advertisements to buy from their cash shop.

Once again. Im not the one that brought that up.

So i have to write the theseus before i can have an opinion? My opinion is based on what iv witnessed over the years. And its true today just as it was 5 years ago.

Thier is a type of player. The ones that want to game jump. The ones that cant spend more then a mouth playing a game. The ones that need to be lead by the nose. The ones that dont feel like they need to pay. The ones that want everything handed to them. The ones that dont want to spend the time to get anything for themselves.

The list goes on and on. And its these same people that try and get console features into MMORPGS. Its the ease of just putting down the controler and playing another game for 2 weeks that they want and they now want that from thier MMOs.

Hence "The Console Crowd"

And come one now. Your telling me that this guy has never owed a console? NEVER? give me a break.

Your opinion should have some merit.  You yourself agreed that you have not established there is a console mentality, there you cannot claim someone has that mentality. 

I've never owned a console.  True when I was a kid my famly had an atari but I have personally have never had one.  I just don't find console games fun. 

I think you've missread his statement. I think he means there's a largers of choices as far as MMO's go. Not the content within the games.

You dont find that disturbing?

While they don't have over the top amounts of content, they are usually the same amount of content that subscription games have. WoW and SWTOR have, leveling, questing, raid, and pvp. What do they have that other games don't? Oh wait, a subscription fee.

Longevity. You said it perfectly. The same amount of content. Well todays games are shit for content. Thats why people are blowing through it un 2 weeks to a month.

Todays games are worth a sub and thats one of the reasons why. Give me a game that has longevity and ill pay that sub for years.

Much better than the so called FTP model. More games in the future should folllow Arenanet and FC with this model.

I'm very aware that FC has turned to B2P, but they'll add a cash shop shortly. I personally believed that they would have done this anyways. The game screamed F2P from the start.

Why did it screen f2p from the start? please tell us what it was about this game that said to you F2P.

I think you've missread his statement. I think he means there's a largers of choices as far as MMO's go. Not the content within the games.

You dont find that disturbing?

While they don't have over the top amounts of content, they are usually the same amount of content that subscription games have. WoW and SWTOR have, leveling, questing, raid, and pvp. What do they have that other games don't? Oh wait, a subscription fee.

Longevity. You said it perfectly. The same amount of content. Well todays games are shit for content. Thats why people are blowing through it un 2 weeks to a month.

Todays games are worth a sub and thats one of the reasons why. Give me a game that has longevity and ill pay that sub for years.

Actually on release most games today have more content than most old games on release, far more quests, same amount of land/dungeons, plus all the other added bits, AH, BG, arena's...

It just doesn't take as long to level.  But there is a tonne of content.  People that blow through it, typically haven't done all the content, but they chose not to.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by CalmOceans
    Good luck on spending more on F2P to enjoy the game.

Don't worry. I will join the majority of MMO players in the US, and pay nothing. I will let teh whales to subsidize my gaming. It is not like i haven't play F2P before, jsut that i have to wait till my annual pass is over before killing the last sub.

Cool story?

A majority of gamers don't pay?   Yeah.... keep on dreaming and wishing kiddo.

F2P games are typically more costly on the consumer, oh and Aion is doing pretty bad right now with its truely free to play....

We're going to see a lot of these free to play games go under and be cancled in the next year.  It was a failed experiment, Free to play games just can't last, they leave a bad taste in everyones' mouth.

Originally posted by Laughing-man
    Originally posted by CalmOceans
    Good luck on spending more on F2P to enjoy the game.

Don't worry. I will join the majority of MMO players in the US, and pay nothing. I will let teh whales to subsidize my gaming. It is not like i haven't play F2P before, jsut that i have to wait till my annual pass is over before killing the last sub.

Cool story?

A majority of gamers don't pay?   Yeah.... keep on dreaming and wishing kiddo.

F2P games are typically more costly on the consumer, oh and Aion is doing pretty bad right now with its truely free to play....

We're going to see a lot of these free to play games go under and be cancled in the next year.  It was a failed experiment, Free to play games just can't last, they leave a bad taste in everyones' mouth.

Several different studies from several different sources confirm this.  If you have data, other than your own subjective opinion, disputing this feel free to post it. 

Aion was always doing bad in the west, in the east it is hugely successfull.

F2P games have been around since before UO, therefore they are just as much of a failed experiment as p2p.

I don't know what to say to the guy. He's just provoking just for the laughs I suppse. I thoroughly believe anything a console can do a PC/MAC or what have you can do better. My case still stands against this guy. I don't know any MMO's that bombard me with advertisements to buy from their cash shop.

Once again. Im not the one that brought that up.

You haven't brought anything to the table other than trying to offend people. You asked me to name F2P games that I've played that do not bombard me with advertisements, I gave you a few of the games that I played that didn't and decided to just give you a massive list of games that I've personally gone through. Then you accuse me to being a console gamer because I gave you a response.

So, if you have nothing positive to bring to what we're talking about why are you still in this topic?

Just one more time so that you can understand...

I wasnt that one that said anything about adds in f2p games. i never asked for a list of the games you have played.

I did however call you call console gamer becuase you talk like one. You are part of the entitelment crowd. Wants everything for free and whats other to pay for it.

Actualy you are getting less choice compared to older mmorpg's.

You dont have features, player interaction, and so much more that older games provided. Thus you cant have more options and choices.

This

You have more choices as far as the games go, but the content inside the games might not be as much. I've spoken about this topic before in a few posts I've made this week. I believe that game studios are focusing too much on their graphics than the content they're putting into the game. However, in terms of games there's to play we do indeed have more choice.

But why is that a good thing? Why is more good? i would rather have less and quality then more with quantity.

Why did it screen f2p from the start? please tell us what it was about this game that said to you F2P.

1.  The cash shop on day 1.

2.  In an interview very early on one dev stated they have plans for f2p because they believed at some point they would need it.  Can't find the first interview in September they were talking about it

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/09/18/funcom-secret-world-has-the-tools-to-go-f2p/

"That said, we definitely have the tools to turn The Secret World into a free-to-play game – or even hybrid – should we decide to do that somewhere down the line"

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by winter
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by BlueSage13

Originally posted by nariusseldon The funny thing is that i am more than capable to deciding how to have fun, and some will come in speaking as if i won't be having any fun. Well ... if i am not .. i will do something else .. duh!
    Cause you have nothing invested in said game.

Charging a player money for a game they don't have fun playing isn't going to make the game fun to play. If a player is having fun in a game, they will invest time into the game, even if they don't spend money on the game.

and that makes them less of a parasite how?

Please explain your comment a bit more.

Easy enough. Every player in a game uses resources, bandwidth, power, CSR. (Don't think for a instant F2P players don't submit titckets if they get stuck or their ubersword suddenly disappears.) granted this may not be alot but it is something. As the F2P such as the OP doesn't pay for the the game (thats B2P) and has no intent of ever paying any money in the game. (Op states he expects whales ie big players to fund his free playing fun) this makes them a drain or parasite to it put bluntly on the game.

In most F2P cases the player can't ascess most of the content thus making them worthless even as pug cannon fodder for the paying players.

One could argue that the free to play player like the OP who already knows he's just in it for a month or 2 of free fun before skipping off to the next F2P title has little to  no care for the games community as such one would imagie they are more likely to be the games Asshats spamming how the game sucks compared to game X etc, or purposely wiping raids/ pugs they do get into as they have no long term commitment and are playing the game solely for their own fun.

I imagine the Op has a job and probably has no trouble paying 15 dollars on a nights entertainment to see a movie, yet balks at paying said 15 dollars for a months entertainment as he can simply get it free and have others pay the bill.

Perhaps this is a huge jump in reeasoning but how really is this different then say having a healthy 21 y/o decide he doesn't want to work and wants to live on welfare the rest of his life? Sure there are rich "whales" that will pay the taxes for him to do so but its still technically a parasitic relationship.

Do games really benefit in any way from gamers that have decided to play for a few months to have the most fun they can  other players be damned and never pay anything to the games company/developers as we are all entiltled to free stuff since theres always someone how makes more then us etc.? I'm probably rocking the boat, might even get banned for what I wrote, and hell I'm neither rich nore a republican. I do however take responsibilty for myself and my actions. I pay for the entertainment I use because in the end I know nothing in this world is for free.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

Just one more time so that you can understand...

I wasnt that one that said anything about adds in f2p games. i never asked for a list of the games you have played.

I did however call you call console gamer becuase you talk like one. You are part of the entitelment crowd. Wants everything for free and whats other to pay for it.

Are you suggesting these are the same? Because last I checked, console games were not free.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil