Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Asheron's Call 2 : Fallen Kings: RESURRECTION!

Comments

• ChingoChingo Member UncommonPosts: 128
    Never actually played but urge to install RISING! (pun intended).
  • ArakaneArakane Member UncommonPosts: 204

Oh the joy !! can hardly wait to run those vaults again and well...everything! lol. This is soo sweet. I still remember the night it all shut down,was really sad, I had a musical instrument,pipes of some kind as I recall,and along with some others,just played a farewell concert as the olthoi over-ran Dereth again and Asheron,who had indeed returned,though was on one of dereth's moons or something, shut us back up inside the shelters...

Thank you Turbine/WB for doing this,a truly awesome Christmas Gift.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by PK4TW

Wow~!

Downloading now.

Shout-out to all the former WintersEbb peeps!

AoD FTW

Hiyas.

I was on Wintersebb too after our guild switched to it from MT. I can't remember the alliance we were in but I remember the leader was Ced on Wintersebb. Glad to hear about AC2 coming back.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782
    Well I never. Very happy for fans of the game. I wonder if this works will it set a precedent for necroing dead games? TR anybody? E&B? The Matrix online? Intresting times my freinds. It's going to take no less than the end of the world to drag me away from TSW and Eve atm, so I hope you guys report back with how you are getting along.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
         I think the interest shown in AC2 jsut shows how much people are starving for something different in the genre.....Even games that failed badly are wanted nowadays......
  • Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365
    Wait so I must take time off from my beloved Wow, and try this out..

Well done Mmorpg fans you have peaked my interest again.. Thx

If this proves sucessful, dotes anyone else think we could get a xpac that brings the graphic up to todays level? Possibilities are endless..

Thx again!!
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by hockeyplayr
    Originally posted by Yamota

I think you guys thinking how awesome this is have forgot what a sub-par game it was and why many of you quit it to begin with...

Dont want to rain in on anyone's parade but I dont think people realise what a sub-par game this was.

I've never played any asherons call game before. I actually bought the first one and subbed just for a chance to try ac2.  Personally, I am actually enjoying it.  One of the first games in a while I actually want to play.  May be sub par, but may also be better than some other offerings today

Nostalgia and reality don't mix well.  You might miss it but after people get a peek I don't think it's going to be pretty unless everyone else goes insane too.  I mean really, this game offers nothing that current games offer and certainly not better.  To assert that throws all reason and logic to the wind.

C'mon now Tor... You know 'better' is subjective and often has nothing to do with logic.

And while I do not dismiss the power of nostalgia, it is also a fact that many people just simply prefer older games and the attached design philosophies.

To call people 'insane' for liking something you choose to dismiss as nostalgia (because you don't share their tastes) seems... churlish.

Will this be a game for the mass market? No, ofc not... but will it's relaunch be successful on it's own terms? I say, more than likely, yeah it will.

I never played it the first time around, in EQ land we kinda snorted at AC, but I am actually looking forward to giving it my time when it goes live.

• sevitothsevitoth Member UncommonPosts: 375

People bash this game for being crap......but it's still better then anything released after WOW. lol

Currently Playing: DAOC Uthgard

Previously Played: UO, DAOC, Shadowbane, AC2, SWG, Horizons, COX, WOW, EQ2, LOTRO, AOC, WAR, Vanguard, Rift, SWTOR, ESO, GW2.

• UnshraUnshra Member UncommonPosts: 381

I had fun last night, one of the features I missed in AC2 as how easy their music system was. It was rather common for random jam sessions to start and last night was no different for me. I always liked the Tumerok mostly because of the drum. So that was the first character I made and I've been enjoying every moment of it.

AC2 didn't disappoint with the jam sessions, as right when I was about to log off I decided to play my drum while I leveled up my skill. The next thing I knew others joined in and I stated on a few minutes more to mess around with the beats as I have long forgotten what each one sounds likes.

When I logged off I noticed that fraps was still running and created several videos over 1TB, so I dug through and found the last few minutes, cropped it and uploaded it so that I would always have it. ;-P

Here's the video, it's not much but it brigns back so many memories.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTGufd1dhMY

As side note: One trend I've noticed is that more and more MMO's are focusing on instant gratification not ignoring features that allow players to build a community. The music system in AC2 is an example of something that is rather simple but has the power to pull players together, they stop their quests and raiding and just make noise together. LoTRO's system has a similar effect but because of it's complexity fewer people are likely to join in unlike AC2.

Funny I've raided, had massively PvP wars that destroyed whole player created cities, I’ve helped build and defend similar cities and lots a few myself, yet a small moment like this is more epic to me than all that.

Because flying a Minmatar ship is like going down a flight of stairs on an office chair while firing an Uzi.

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814
    so..this is only open to the people with a active account? will they ever open it to people that dont have a AC open account? can i sub to AC1 and get into AC2? theres really no need to re-open ac2 to get subs for ac1...more people as of now would love to play AC2 now because ac1 is soo behind times and ac2 was slightly ahead of times when it was released but the game was a huge let down by the dev. team seeing they didnt even want to work or improve their own product and try to compete with the big boys..but iv always said..if someone put some effort towards the game it can become pretty decent title
  • corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by hockeyplayr

I think you guys thinking how awesome this is have forgot what a sub-par game it was and why many of you quit it to begin with...

Dont want to rain in on anyone's parade but I dont think people realise what a sub-par game this was.

I've never played any asherons call game before. I actually bought the first one and subbed just for a chance to try ac2.  Personally, I am actually enjoying it.  One of the first games in a while I actually want to play.  May be sub par, but may also be better than some other offerings today

Nostalgia and reality don't mix well.  You might miss it but after people get a peek I don't think it's going to be pretty unless everyone else goes insane too.  I mean really, this game offers nothing that current games offer and certainly not better.  To assert that throws all reason and logic to the wind.

i'm not gonna say my personal feelings on the following unique (or at least rare) aspects AC2 has.  

while i liked that they tried some new ideas, i wasn't really a fan of the game.  

but i'm gonna mention a few features i can remember, and i think there are others as well (feel free to jump in and add to the list, anybody)

1) randomly generated stats on loot

2) no need to make a vendor run when your backpacks get full during adventure

3) coordinated group music emotes

4) rebuild ruined towns

5) hybrid of open/instanced dungeons, where most of a dungeon was open world, but special/boss encounters were inside instanced "vaults"

6) while there is lock-on targetting, you can physically dodge arrows and projectile spells (by moving character), making it semi-action-based

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

---------------------------

• ChingoChingo Member UncommonPosts: 128
    Originally posted by odinsrath
    can i sub to AC1 and get into AC2?

This is how I understood it works but haven't yet reached my PC to try it out.

• ChaulsinNLChaulsinNL Member UncommonPosts: 182
    Having a good time! Feels like old times. Doing old cragstone again was great and for being a low lvl area not that easy :p . Hope they will keep it around for a while.
  • lovebuglovebug Member UncommonPosts: 260

this was the very first mmo i played  was in a great guild called ac legends.

i had a subb to this game so can i play it now or do i have to have a ac1 subb to play it.

would love to logg back into ac2 again great memorys :).

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697
    so..this is only open to the people with a active account? will they ever open it to people that dont have a AC open account? can i sub to AC1 and get into AC2? theres really no need to re-open ac2 to get subs for ac1...more people as of now would love to play AC2 now because ac1 is soo behind times and ac2 was slightly ahead of times when it was released but the game was a huge let down by the dev. team seeing they didnt even want to work or improve their own product and try to compete with the big boys..but iv always said..if someone put some effort towards the game it can become pretty decent title

One sub full access to both games.

You're basically asking to have two seperate subs for each game which means you'd pay the same and get half as much.

• lovebuglovebug Member UncommonPosts: 260
    will ac1 abd 2 run on windows 7 64bit anyone know.
  • SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697
    Originally posted by lovebug
    will ac1 abd 2 run on windows 7 64bit anyone know.

Yes. Don't install into the progam files directory (at least for AC1, I automatically didn't do it for AC2 so I'm not sure if the same permissions errors happen) and everything works fine.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by DrunkWolf
    Originally posted by xevanon
    I would love to play but no damn paypal payment...sign

im pretty sure they take paypal.

they do i just used paypal for the purchase and for the required sub setup you have to do. (which i promptly canceled until i get a better idea a bout the game and whats going on with it.)

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    Too bad I can't just pay like $5 for AC2, not interested in access to ac1 at all.
  • hardiconhardicon Member UncommonPosts: 335
    i think alot of people are forgetting what made ac2 bad in the first place.  first off all it was microsoft pushing the game early before it was ready.  the devs did fix alot of the problems but the problem was it was making the wow dollars and microsoft pulled the plug because they wanted the wow dollars, much like swg, only they just recreated the game.  the game was fine as it was although alot of ac1 players didnt like it because it changed so much from ac1.  other than that it would have been a great game.  still cant wait to try it out to see if my memories are the same of the game now that I have alot more gamer knowledge.  back then i was a fledgling mmo player, i havent gotten as cynical about mmos as I am now.
  • QuicksandQuicksand Member UncommonPosts: 683
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by Quicksand

136+ replies so I hope this has not been answered already but...

If you had an AC2 account when it launched can you log in now or is it only current AC1 players??

Thanks

No only AC1 accounts.

Took me less then 30 mins to get in game.  Buy a copy of AC1 from Turbine and you can get into this AC2 server as a bonus.

Thanks.

www.90and9.net
    www.prophecymma.com

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    so..this is only open to the people with a active account? will they ever open it to people that dont have a AC open account? can i sub to AC1 and get into AC2?

It is a beta server.

They are testing the game, so yes, logic follows that there will be a live release and you will require an account flagged for both games if you wish play both.

But, yes, for the moment you can help them test AC2 if you have an AC sub active.

• IggiePuffIggiePuff Member UncommonPosts: 146
    Originally posted by hardicon
    i think alot of people are forgetting what made ac2 bad in the first place.  first off all it was microsoft pushing the game early before it was ready.  the devs did fix alot of the problems but the problem was it was making the wow dollars and microsoft pulled the plug because they wanted the wow dollars, much like swg, only they just recreated the game.  the game was fine as it was although alot of ac1 players didnt like it because it changed so much from ac1.  other than that it would have been a great game.  still cant wait to try it out to see if my memories are the same of the game now that I have alot more gamer knowledge.  back then i was a fledgling mmo player, i havent gotten as cynical about mmos as I am now.

That's not correct tho. It wasn't Microsoft that pulled the plug, it was Turbine. Turbine had already left MS and bought their games back from MS before AC2 was shutdown. In fact months before it was closed AC2 had gotten an exp pak, many of the bugs fixed and Turbine pretty much had the game to where it should've been at launch. But of course by then it was to late and wasn't making enough money to keep the game up.

Just hope now they keep working on it and keep it around a lot longer this time. But if mmo's like the Realm Online that Sierra made is still around after all these years I'm sure AC2 can be around for many more too.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

Well for me AC was my first 3D mmorpg. And to me it was a ugly bland attempt to bring players from the detailed (but flat) world of Ultima Online to 3D. Nervertheless, two buddies pulled me in and we played there for a while until DAoC was released with superior graphics, better structured PvP, but a confined gameplay system. All three of us played for months until the announcement of AC2. Two of us got into the beta and the third continued playing DAoC. AC2 graphics were light years ahead of anything else out there at the time and at that time we cared only about two things really : (1) the ability to play in a gorgeous 3d world and (2) the freedom of a gameplay system like UO. But it seemd the goal of every game back then is the same as it is now, to trump the last game on the graphic department only. This is why games like EQ, AC, DAoC and SB lost their luster for me so quickly. I was young what can I say I was a graphics whore. And it's the same reason I can never go back to UO.

Because thing is, since making the jump from 2d so long ago to 3d my bar for graphics can only be lowered so much before I can accept a ugly mmorpg for it's superior gameplay system. And I'm sorry to say but AC1 is never gonna clear that huddle. No matter how superior you think their gameplay system is over AC2, if it ain't near UO quality, I'm NOT lowering my bar for graphics. Because honestly at this day and age, both games are subpar in both graphics of today and gameplay systems when compared to my ideal system (UO). But where AC2 wins it that the graphics are better than AC1's and the gameplay system is better that anything released today. That make sense to you?

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by TangentPoint
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by Tamanous
    Originally posted by DEATHRAMENT
    Its only 10.00 it cant be worse then the crap that's out now.

You're right!

This is crap from several years ago!

You know what they say:

One mans Crap is another mans Treasure.

good luck to all those giving this a shot because yea contrary to what Tam here says, most games released in the last 6+ years ahve been total crap and it will be nice to see what the games were like back then.

There's also a lot of people who were/are AC1 player who were "offended" that Turbine would "dare" to make an AC2 that wasn't AC1 with better graphics. They raged about it back then. They've raged about it almost any time someone brought up AC2 since, and they're right back at it, raging about it now. For a game that went offline 7 years ago.

And we thought the SWG/NGE people had trouble letting go and moving on?

Where are a lot of AC1 fans raging about this? Tam doesn't speak for the rest of us. AC1 players seem to really like this move

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre