Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there any PvP progression?

Thinking about trying this game but is there any pvp progression except for PvP gear grind?

Like pvp levels, or some leaderboards, stat tracking?

Comments

• DanitaKusorDanitaKusor Member UncommonPosts: 556
    We got a cat once

The Enlightened take things Lightly

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    No
  • OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

This game lacks a lot from what i have read. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Limited crafting

No housing

Small maps

no real pvp

only 1 raid

I can see why it bombed, even though i love the concept, the graphics, and the 3 factions....... just wasnt put together properly and lacked a lot of mmo features.

Sums it up?

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    The small maps thing,depends what you consider small, they are around same size as gw2,maps as a rough guess. It's not a corridor game like swtor, you know where they make it corridors even if they aren't actual corridors with artificial mountain barriers and stuff, its a good bit more free roaming than that.
  • MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268
    I thought it was "open world" with limited instances like WoW?
  • rpgalonrpgalon Member Posts: 430
    Originally posted by Onomas

Limited crafting

No housing

Small maps

no real pvp

only 1 raid

I can see why it bombed, even though i love the concept, the graphics, and the 3 factions....... just wasnt put together properly and lacked a lot of mmo features.

Sums it up?

the crafting is limited to making every item in the game useful to you, it allows you to disassemble what you don't want and assemble it in something you need. almost everything can be disassembled.

no housing

the maps are about the same size as GW2, but it packs like 4x more content.

I love the PvP, but that is because I kill a lot, if you are the one dying maybe you won't enjoy as much. also, the server you choose has a huge effect on how much you will enjoy the large scale PvP.

only 1 raid, but this game dungeons/raids are amazing, no trash mobs with really good bosses, you gotta try it to see.

had this game launched with the B2P model, I would have rated it 1# MMORPG...

now that they really did deliver the 1 Issue / month and the game is now B2P..., IMHO it is the best MMO you can get now.

• svandysvandy Member UncommonPosts: 277

Limited crafting

No housing

Small maps

no real pvp

only 1 raid

Sums it up?

1. Crafting blows, won't lie.

2. No housing yet but I have a feeling it will be in sooner rather than later considering the strong RP community.

3. I never felt like the maps were small, but some people who are just looking for something wrong with it might think that. Some of the maps I felt were a little too big, to be honest.

4. Not sure where you got this. It is not a PVP centric game, but Fusang is pretty fun and the mini games aren't bad either. I haven't tried the revamped Fusang but I hear good things.

5. Yes, but the game was never meant to be a raiding game. It also has, which people fail to mention, every single dungeon in the game as a "nightmare mode," as well which is just as hard, if not harder, than most MMO's end game raiding.

If crafting is your thing or FFA/Full loot PVP, or player-driven economy,  you won't like TSW. If you love good stories, great setting, incredible/in-depth character customization, and small group content you will love TSW. Some people will probably claim I am wrong and say that everything but the dungeons can be soloed - yes, if you min-max like a fiend and are ok with the mission taking 10x as long you can solo, but grouping is a blast and it's how the game is meant to be played.

Please visit my youtube channel for some H1Z1/DayZ casual roleplay videos!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrQoK5VZlwBBzpsksmXtjMQ

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163

This article sums up pretty well why people like this game:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/12/13/why-i-play-the-secret-world/

PvP is probably not the primary seller, but the latest changes in 1.5 have been good for Fusang, and there are plenty of players who do and like PvP in TSW.

Here's the link to the PvP forums; feel free to browse:

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9

• svandysvandy Member UncommonPosts: 277
    Originally posted by Ortwig

PvP is probably not the primary seller

Important to remember this when considering your purchase. The PVP is there and it's fun, but it is hardly the focus of the game. There are no ESport arenas or anything like that, but I think there is sort of a leaderboard through Chronicle? Not 100%.

Please visit my youtube channel for some H1Z1/DayZ casual roleplay videos!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrQoK5VZlwBBzpsksmXtjMQ

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778

Limited crafting

No housing

Small maps

no real pvp

only 1 raid

Sums it up?

I really doubt that TSW bombed because it has 1 raid and no housing. 

Crafting is not limited it is different and since there are no stats based armor it might feel limited because all you craft is weapons, talisman and glyphs.

Maps are not small and like GW2 since you run around every where you won't feel that you are zipping around the zones.

However i would like to know what you consider a REAL PVP in a themepark MMO.

• atuerstaratuerstar Member Posts: 234

No - there isnt anything like what you mentioned as yet. Upon housing - there was an article on IGN today where the lead developer said the following:

"In addition the design team all have individual features that they have been working on designs for, everything from daily achievements to collectibles to the ever requested player housing."

How long it will take, the form of it - I have no idea. Just nice to know they have it in the pipeline. Full article link:

http://au.ign.com/articles/2012/12/13/why-did-the-secret-world-drop-its-subscription-requirement

• dancingstardancingstar Member UncommonPosts: 362

There are a few PvP-related leaderboards on the Chronicle, for minigames (the Stonehenge / Eldorado instanced battlegrounds) won and players defeated in PvP.

There are some 30 ingame achievements for the PvP warzone & battlegrounds some of which might get you a displayable title (can't confirm this last point). These are basically things like "kill x number of enemy PCs" (1, 100, 500, 1000, 2500, 5000, 10000), "win x number of matches in each battleground," "win a battleground match without dying and with 5+ killing blows," "hold all the capture points in a battleground at once" &c.

There have been occasional player-run tournaments in the Fight Clubs with prizes of in-game money or items.

There does not, however, seem to be the kind of E-Sport PvP ranking / title system you find in games like Guild Wars, &c.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by dancingstar

There are a few PvP-related leaderboards on the Chronicle, for minigames (the Stonehenge / Eldorado instanced battlegrounds) won and players defeated in PvP.

There are some 30 ingame achievements for the PvP warzone & battlegrounds some of which might get you a displayable title (can't confirm this last point). These are basically things like "kill x number of enemy PCs" (1, 100, 500, 1000, 2500, 5000, 10000), "win x number of matches in each battleground," "win a battleground match without dying and with 5+ killing blows," "hold all the capture points in a battleground at once" &c.

There have been occasional player-run tournaments in the Fight Clubs with prizes of in-game money or items.

There does not, however, seem to be the kind of E-Sport PvP ranking / title system you find in games like Guild Wars, &c.

Also talk of open world PvP incoming from the game director:

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=63143

The player-run PvP matches have been popular, both in the Fight Clubs and for Eldorado.  The next update will include the ability to queue for Stonehenge and El Dorado while in Fusang.

• ChingoChingo Member UncommonPosts: 128

Limited crafting

No housing

Small maps

no real pvp

only 1 raid

Sums it up?

Not entirely. It's also missing two headed pink cows flying backwards.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Don't think about getting this game for it's pvp. Like in other MMOs it's a side distraction from the actual game.

• dancingstardancingstar Member UncommonPosts: 362
    Originally posted by Chingo

<snip>

Not entirely. It's also missing two headed pink cows flying backwards.

Absolutely. We can be certain that there is no farm of sentient two-headed pink Filth infected cows secretly run by an Orochi subsidiary at an undisclosed location in Central America