Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Finally .. no more sub games for me

Comments

• OnomasOnomas Rock Hill, SCPosts: 1,128Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar
    Originally posted by Onomas

Yes it has.  More games, more players, more choice, more choice in how I play each game than most old games. 

Actualy you are getting less choice compared to older mmorpg's.

You dont have features, player interaction, and so much more that older games provided. Thus you cant have more options and choices.

Nope I'm getting more choices.  Most of the older games were far more restrictive than today's games.  Today's games offer me more ways to play the game, including levelling than most old games.

Most today's games have more features than most old games.  Most todays' games have just as much opportunity for player interaction as old games. Thus we have more options and choices. 

UO and SWG were the exception, not the norm.

You could infact say that the market is overloaded with new MMO's today. Gamers have too many choices and have a harder time choosing which games they want to play.

Not choice in picking a crappy game, choice in the actual game. Features and more. You dont get half that in the newer games, only story and quests. Only gets you so far. Then they force you to do dailies and raids for end game content......over and over and over and over and over.................. yup sounds like a lot of choice to me.

• Mtibbs1989Mtibbs1989 Fredericksburg, VAPosts: 2,920Member Uncommon

Yes it has.  More games, more players, more choice, more choice in how I play each game than most old games. 

You dont have features, player interaction, and so much more that older games provided. Thus you cant have more options and choices.

Nope I'm getting more choices.  Most of the older games were far more restrictive than today's games.  Today's games offer me more ways to play the game, including levelling than most old games.

Most today's games have more features than most old games.  Most todays' games have just as much opportunity for player interaction as old games. Thus we have more options and choices. 

Eq ad eq2 had plenty of choice, swg, uo, anarchy online, and the list can go on.........

Now you like games like SWTOR? Yeah that had a lot of choice.... go here, do that, come back, look up.......... love how they tell you to do everything with no thought and creativity. Yup, newer games gotta love being hand held and put on a dog leash.

Most of todays games have more features? Now i know you be trolling and have no clue. Funny because i fond the new games to lack in almost everything older games have minus quests/story. Housing, exploration, crafting, player created content, pvp, open world, making your own story not being fed what they want you to be like, hand held, "i want", easy, no brain function required, and the list can go on. Sorry but newer mmorpgs dont even offer as much as newer console rpgs lol. Newer console rpgs have more game time and features than todays mmo's.

Think you got the 2 mixed up.

I think you've missread his statement. I think he means there's a largers of choices as far as MMO's go. Not the content within the games.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Posts: 5,318Member Uncommon

You could infact say that the market is overloaded with new MMO's today. Gamers have too many choices and have a harder time choosing which games they want to play.

Not choice in picking a crappy game, choice in the actual game. Features and more. You dont get half that in the newer games, only story and quests. Only gets you so far. Then they force you to do dailies and raids for end game content......over and over and over and over and over.................. yup sounds like a lot of choice to me.

Thats what I'm talking about.  Inside most games I have more choice in how I play, more choice in levelling, just as much player interaction as there ever was, more features than in most old games, including story and quests.  Yup sounds like a lot of choice to me. 

Quit worrying about other players in a game and just play.

• OnomasOnomas Rock Hill, SCPosts: 1,128Member Uncommon

Eq ad eq2 had plenty of choice, swg, uo, anarchy online, and the list can go on.........

Now you like games like SWTOR? Yeah that had a lot of choice.... go here, do that, come back, look up.......... love how they tell you to do everything with no thought and creativity. Yup, newer games gotta love being hand held and put on a dog leash.

Most of todays games have more features? Now i know you be trolling and have no clue. Funny because i fond the new games to lack in almost everything older games have minus quests/story. Housing, exploration, crafting, player created content, pvp, open world, making your own story not being fed what they want you to be like, hand held, "i want", easy, no brain function required, and the list can go on. Sorry but newer mmorpgs dont even offer as much as newer console rpgs lol. Newer console rpgs have more game time and features than todays mmo's.

I think you've missread his statement. I think he means there's a largers of choices as far as MMO's go. Not the content within the games.

You dont find that disturbing?

Of couse, you've helped me prove my point. Why would I want to do that in a game like WoW and have to pay a monthly fee. It sets up an obligation that I should be playing that game over any other. If I want my PvP fix there are many games in the F2P market that allow that and if I want my PvE fix. They've got those covered as well. The main difference is, I'm not paying 15 a month doing it. If I want to build I can play Wurm, salem, and greed monger when it comes out. F2P games are starting to have a lot more content available to them. More than what WoW, EQ, and etc. have to offer.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.

EQ was totally restrictive, far more even than wow.  All players in a class were the same, trivial crafting.  Levelling only through pve. 

Swtor is pretty restrictive on zones, but it offers more ways to level than EQ did. 

Most old games didnt' have housing, or significnat crafting, virtually no player created content, and making your own story was basically making a background story.  That hasn't changed today.  Again UO and SWG were the exceptions no the norm.

EQ2 is only a month older than WoW and offers about the same choices as virtually every other themepark type gme today. 

Sorry but newer MMO's offer more choice in playing than most ol games.

Think you are too blind to see. 

edit - I'll clarify EQ2 to state at release and a few years after.  Today with player made books and brick and board style housing it offers quite a bit of choice, however that also puts it into the modern games too.

• KroxMalonKroxMalon swindonPosts: 409Member

Your aware that TSW is now a non sub game once you have purchased it right?

Much better than the so called FTP model. More games in the future should folllow Arenanet and FC with this model.

While they don't have over the top amounts of content, they are usually the same amount of content that subscription games have. WoW and SWTOR have, leveling, questing, raid, and pvp. What do they have that other games don't? Oh wait, a subscription fee.

Originally posted by coxyroxy

Much better than the so called FTP model. More games in the future should folllow Arenanet and FC with this model.

I'm very aware that FC has turned to B2P, but they'll add a cash shop shortly. I personally believed that they would have done this anyways. The game screamed F2P from the start.

• winterwinter El Paso, TXPosts: 2,276Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by BlueSage13

Originally posted by nariusseldon The funny thing is that i am more than capable to deciding how to have fun, and some will come in speaking as if i won't be having any fun. Well ... if i am not .. i will do something else .. duh!
    Cause you have nothing invested in said game.

Charging a player money for a game they don't have fun playing isn't going to make the game fun to play. If a player is having fun in a game, they will invest time into the game, even if they don't spend money on the game.

and that makes them less of a parasite how?

Originally posted by winter
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by BlueSage13

Originally posted by nariusseldon The funny thing is that i am more than capable to deciding how to have fun, and some will come in speaking as if i won't be having any fun. Well ... if i am not .. i will do something else .. duh!
    Cause you have nothing invested in said game.

Charging a player money for a game they don't have fun playing isn't going to make the game fun to play. If a player is having fun in a game, they will invest time into the game, even if they don't spend money on the game.

and that makes them less of a parasite how?

Please explain your comment a bit more.

I'm very aware that FC has turned to B2P, but they'll add a cash shop shortly. I personally believed that they would have done this anyways. The game screamed F2P from the start.

IF I recall corrently There was a cash shop right from day one..  May be remembering it wrong because there was a way to buy things using points but pretty sure I could have bought them using RL money as welll.  Only thing I wanted was the red leather jacket and had enough of whatever the weird coins were for it. 

IF I recall corrently There was a cash shop right from day one..  May be remembering it wrong because there was a way to buy things using points but pretty sure I could have bought them using RL money as welll.  Only thing I wanted was the red leather jacket and had enough of whatever the weird coins were for it. 

That's what I don't like when a company adds a cash shop ontop of a subscription fee already. Because not only are players paying for the game, then setting up a subscription fee, now they're limited to the content that from what some players in this current topic have stated, "are entitled to".

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Vineland, NJPosts: 869Member
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by xAPOCx

And the picture starts to become clear. Could you be yet another console gamer that crept over into the MMO world? I believe so.

You make it sound like it is a bad thing. The MMO market, or devs, prob welcome any other gaming segment.

Secondly, you probably mean SP and online game players. Lots of people do that on PCs, not consoles. And MMOs are obviously only a slice of gaming.

I highly doubt everyone will be just playing MMOs. Personally i don't. Why should i? If there is a good SP game, and i have fun with it, it is silly not to play.

MMOs are no longer a "slice" of gaming. To be a slice it would have to be individual and thats not the case today. Over the years other mediums have made there way into the MMORPG realm. most of this invasion can be blamed on the console crowd. Look through these forums. no one can even define what a MMORPG is anymore. Its like Frankestines monster made up of different parts, into some hideous creature.

edit - so you admit you haven't established that there is a console mentality and yet you accuse someone of being a console gamer based on their statements, despite that those same statements state they don't have a console.  Yep makes sense to me. 

So i have to write the theseus before i can have an opinion? My opinion is based on what iv witnessed over the years. And its true today just as it was 5 years ago.

Thier is a type of player. The ones that want to game jump. The ones that cant spend more then a mouth playing a game. The ones that need to be lead by the nose. The ones that dont feel like they need to pay. The ones that want everything handed to them. The ones that dont want to spend the time to get anything for themselves.

The list goes on and on. And its these same people that try and get console features into MMORPGS. Its the ease of just putting down the controler and playing another game for 2 weeks that they want and they now want that from thier MMOs.

Hence "The Console Crowd"

And come one now. Your telling me that this guy has never owned a console? NEVER? give me a break.

This

edit - so you admit you haven't established that there is a console mentality and yet you accuse someone of being a console gamer based on their statements, despite that those same statements state they don't have a console.  Yep makes sense to me. 

I don't know what to say to the guy. He's just provoking just for the laughs I suppse. I thoroughly believe anything a console can do a PC/MAC or what have you can do better. My case still stands against this guy. I don't know any MMO's that bombard me with advertisements to buy from their cash shop.

Once again. Im not the one that brought that up.

So i have to write the theseus before i can have an opinion? My opinion is based on what iv witnessed over the years. And its true today just as it was 5 years ago.

Thier is a type of player. The ones that want to game jump. The ones that cant spend more then a mouth playing a game. The ones that need to be lead by the nose. The ones that dont feel like they need to pay. The ones that want everything handed to them. The ones that dont want to spend the time to get anything for themselves.

The list goes on and on. And its these same people that try and get console features into MMORPGS. Its the ease of just putting down the controler and playing another game for 2 weeks that they want and they now want that from thier MMOs.

And come one now. Your telling me that this guy has never owed a console? NEVER? give me a break.

Your opinion should have some merit.  You yourself agreed that you have not established there is a console mentality, there you cannot claim someone has that mentality. 

I've never owned a console.  True when I was a kid my famly had an atari but I have personally have never had one.  I just don't find console games fun. 

I don't know what to say to the guy. He's just provoking just for the laughs I suppse. I thoroughly believe anything a console can do a PC/MAC or what have you can do better. My case still stands against this guy. I don't know any MMO's that bombard me with advertisements to buy from their cash shop.

Once again. Im not the one that brought that up.

You haven't brought anything to the table other than trying to offend people. You asked me to name F2P games that I've played that do not bombard me with advertisements, I gave you a few of the games that I played that didn't and decided to just give you a massive list of games that I've personally gone through. Then you accuse me to being a console gamer because I gave you a response.

So, if you have nothing positive to bring to what we're talking about why are you still in this topic?

This

You have more choices as far as the games go, but the content inside the games might not be as much. I've spoken about this topic before in a few posts I've made this week. I believe that game studios are focusing too much on their graphics than the content they're putting into the game. However, in terms of games there's to play we do indeed have more choice.

While they don't have over the top amounts of content, they are usually the same amount of content that subscription games have. WoW and SWTOR have, leveling, questing, raid, and pvp. What do they have that other games don't? Oh wait, a subscription fee.

Longevity. You said it perfectly. The same amount of content. Well todays games are shit for content. Thats why people are blowing through it un 2 weeks to a month.

Todays games are worth a sub and thats one of the reasons why. Give me a game that has longevity and ill pay that sub for years.

Why did it screen f2p from the start? please tell us what it was about this game that said to you F2P.

Longevity. You said it perfectly. The same amount of content. Well todays games are shit for content. Thats why people are blowing through it un 2 weeks to a month.

Todays games are worth a sub and thats one of the reasons why. Give me a game that has longevity and ill pay that sub for years.

Actually on release most games today have more content than most old games on release, far more quests, same amount of land/dungeons, plus all the other added bits, AH, BG, arena's...

It just doesn't take as long to level.  But there is a tonne of content.  People that blow through it, typically haven't done all the content, but they chose not to.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Dublin, OHPosts: 3,415Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by CalmOceans
    Good luck on spending more on F2P to enjoy the game.

Don't worry. I will join the majority of MMO players in the US, and pay nothing. I will let teh whales to subsidize my gaming. It is not like i haven't play F2P before, jsut that i have to wait till my annual pass is over before killing the last sub.

Cool story?

A majority of gamers don't pay?   Yeah.... keep on dreaming and wishing kiddo.

F2P games are typically more costly on the consumer, oh and Aion is doing pretty bad right now with its truely free to play....

We're going to see a lot of these free to play games go under and be cancled in the next year.  It was a failed experiment, Free to play games just can't last, they leave a bad taste in everyones' mouth.

And come one now. Your telling me that this guy has never owed a console? NEVER? give me a break.

Just because I jump from game to game doesn't put me into the console crowd. It means I can't make up my mind on what games I want to play. Or that I've played one game for too long and am burnt out on it. Which is typical when you're playing the same MMO.

I've invested 5 years into World of Warcraft, 2 years into everquest, 1 1/2 years into Warhammer online, and 3 years into anarchy online. These are just a few of the games I've spent long periods of time playing and these game do indeed have subscription fees. I'm not asking for stuff to be handed to me. I've personally stated that I much rather play a F2P game that has the same features than to pay a monthly fee for a game that offers the same experience.

I'm still having a hard time how you're trying to correlate the similarities between the F2P gamer and a console gamer. I don't see console gamers complaining about having to pay monthly fees to play one console game while another console game is offering that similar service for free.