Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stories of the death of Guild Wars 2

VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

... have been greatly exaggerated. 

I think we may have our explanation as to why zones are still showing up as Very High to Full.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Comments

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Originally posted by Volkon

I think we may have our explanation as to why zones are still showing up as Very High to Full.

No, my server is still FULL but in-game is a ghost town, so no, we dont have an explanation yet. Lot of people brought the game to try it since is B2P, then quit a few weeks or days later. Also i was in a guild of more than 500 players, now we have less than 5 active players. GW2 wont die at all, is b2p, but the population drop of active players was huge and even more faster than D3 at the point that by the end of the year we have probably more active players playing swtor than gw2. 

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632
    Christmas, combined with the january/february content updates should make for a good time for GW2.  Lets hope WvW gets some attention.  I really want badges to go directly to my inventory....lol.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by hikaru77

No, my server is still FULL but in-game is a ghost town, so no, we dont have an explanation yet. Lot of people brought the game to try it since is B2P, then quit a few weeks or days later. Also i was in a guild of more than 500 players, now we have less than 5 active players. GW2 wont die at all, is b2p, but the population drop of active players was huge and even more faster than D3 at the point that by the end of the year we have probably more active players playing swtor than gw2. 

It is true that most people hang around specific areas. You won't see tons and tons of people in certain areas because the initial level wave that every mmo rides is gone. Still the servers are very much full, just go to LA.

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995

I'm curious what data they are using for this article.  When I click the link attached to "Guild Wars 2" in the article, it brings me to Green Man Gaming with the following Top Sellers listed on their main page.

1 King Arthur II $9.99
    2 Chivalry: Medieval ... $24.99 $12.49
    3 The Secret World (NA) $29.99
    4 Borderlands 2 Season Pass ... $29.99
    5 Guild Wars 2 $59.99 $57.99
    6 MK AK $9.99
    7 Bastion $14.99
    8 Dishonored: DLC $4.99
    9 EVE - 60 day $34.99
    10 BL2 Creature Slaught $4.99

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by Maephisto
    Christmas, combined with the january/february content updates should make for a good time for GW2.  Lets hope WvW gets some attention.  I really want badges to go directly to my inventory....lol.

Some initial (and interesting) WvW changes are coming with this release. Disconnects will now count as insta-kills (buh bye Alt-F4 people), change to gate repair mechanics, and this:

Finally, events will be added. According to their designer, Matt Witter, “Break Out Events are special WvW events that will happen when a team has lost control of all defensive structures, not counting supply camps. An NPC commander will appear in the team’s start area and an event will start that prompts players to gather around.”

“Once enough players are in the commander’s presence he will summon his trusty dolyak to give all allies in the area full supply. He will then lead the charge to the nearby objective and give players protection and assist with building siege to assault the objective with.”

“Those benefits, along with a defensive boon that he applies to all nearby allies, makes the attacking players a force to be reckoned with. Defenders will have their work cut out for them, as once the gate or wall piece is destroyed the commander will move to the tower lord inside and attack anyone in his path.”

Oderint, dum metuant.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

Most nights in my guild there are 100 of us on. The players alternate because some don't play everyday like me.  I  don't see a lot of them running around in every zone, maybe 5 doing dragons ect, or a bunch in orr, couple groups in WvWvW, few standing in LA overflow......because most are doing FotM non stop.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Originally posted by killion81

I'm curious what data they are using for this article.  When I click the link attached to "Guild Wars 2" in the article, it brings me to Green Man Gaming with the following Top Sellers listed on their main page.

1 King Arthur II $9.99
    6 MK AK $9.99
    7 Bastion $14.99
    9 EVE - 60 day $34.99

That I honestly can't say. I have to admit... it's pretty cool seeing Eve Online on that list still. I enjoyed my time in Eve for the most part, but it eventually just got old. Too much time in wormholes maybe... that does things to a person...

Oderint, dum metuant.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by killion81

1 King Arthur II $9.99
    6 MK AK $9.99
    7 Bastion $14.99
    9 EVE - 60 day $34.99

Yeah that is funny.  That is the top sellers list too from the source of the very article in question, lol .. it's not even close to what was pasted / edited in the OP's article.

GW2 didn't even make their own articles sources 10 highest rated games, also from the article source (http://www.greenmangaming.com/pc-download/):

1 Borderlands 2 (NA) $59.99 $49.99
    2 Scribblenauts Unlimited (N... $29.99
    3 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyri... $59.99
    4 Sanctum $9.95
    5 Two Worlds II $19.99 $14.99
    6 First Templar $19.99 $12.99
    7 Magicka $9.95
    8 Rift $9.99
    9 Dungeon Siege 3 $19.99
    10 Revenge of the Bitch $12.95 $5.99

Something is fishy ...

In all honesty though, these "anonymous" top X games / mystery review & analysis articles all seem like a shameless attempt to generate sales.  Not just any particular game either, although it seems to be happening a lot with GW2... hmm .. How convenient, links in review articles to buy the game naow!!11 ... from some 3rd party site ...

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• HefaistosHefaistos Member UncommonPosts: 388

Because its a MMO with NO SUB. But the game is not #1 at anything. Not the best pve, not the best pvp, not the best spvp, not the best anything. Just another Free Themepark mmo.

As for # check World of Tanks accounts, League of Legends or other games that worth name it. 

Free Gamez R 2ez and 2cheap 

Some initial (and interesting) WvW changes are coming with this release. Disconnects will now count as insta-kills (buh bye Alt-F4 people), change to gate repair mechanics, and this:

Finally, events will be added. According to their designer, Matt Witter, “Break Out Events are special WvW events that will happen when a team has lost control of all defensive structures, not counting supply camps. An NPC commander will appear in the team’s start area and an event will start that prompts players to gather around.”

“Once enough players are in the commander’s presence he will summon his trusty dolyak to give all allies in the area full supply. He will then lead the charge to the nearby objective and give players protection and assist with building siege to assault the objective with.”

“Those benefits, along with a defensive boon that he applies to all nearby allies, makes the attacking players a force to be reckoned with. Defenders will have their work cut out for them, as once the gate or wall piece is destroyed the commander will move to the tower lord inside and attack anyone in his path.”

Yeah, I have heard of these changes.  Walls taking 10% repairs before erecting again is a great change.  The break out events is something that I will need to learn more about (or actually see implemented). 

To make this short, I think the break out event will be to easlily predicted and prepared for (based off of what I know so far).  Once your server has been ran off a map, the event starts:

1. How many people will it take to get the event started.
    2. How much time will it take for the NPC (once spawned and given everyone supply) to actually start the siege on the nearest tower?
    3. Will this NPC only take the tower or will it then move to the nearest keep (or maybe move to the garrison if on a home BL)?
    4. Will this NPC be like the legendary defenders that protect the spawn point?
    The reason I ask these questions is because, if it takes any great length of time (~ 10 mins), the opposition will know its coming and have a wall of ballistae and arrow carts waiting.  Futhermore, the initial reasons why your server was ran off the map will still be present (the enemy server has better coordination or coverage at that time).  If this NPC only comes and takes an objective or two, in the end, whats the point?

Yeah, I have heard of these changes.  Walls taking 10% repairs before erecting again is a great change.  The break out events is something that I will need to learn more about (or actually see implemented). 

To make this short, I think the break out event will be to easlily predicted and prepared for (based off of what I know so far).  Once your server has been ran off a map, the event starts:

1. How many people will it take to get the event started.
    2. How much time will it take for the NPC (once spawned and given everyone supply) to actually start the siege on the nearest tower?
    3. Will this NPC only take the tower or will it then move to the nearest keep (or maybe move to the garrison if on a home BL)?
    4. Will this NPC be like the legendary defenders that protect the spawn point?
    The reason I ask these questions is because, if it takes any great length of time (~ 10 mins), the opposition will know its coming and have a wall of ballistae and arrow carts waiting.  Futhermore, the initial reasons why your server was ran off the map will still be present (the enemy server has better coordination or coverage at that time).  If this NPC only comes and takes an objective or two, in the end, whats the point?

I can see two points initially... it'll give players a foothold once again on the maps and it will rally players to that map. If players make it know that there's a breakout waiting to start on a borderland people will come from the server even if it's only for taking one tower (easy karma and XP). 

Maybe, just maybe, some will like it and stay longer?

Oderint, dum metuant.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

GW2 is also still in the TOP 5 of amazon.com PC game sales, despite the numerous other popular games released lately.

But that's also only a lie, a conspiration - the little group of doom sayers who, on this site and others, post that games are dead because they happened to not enjoy them, can only be right. I mean, if John Doe on the MMORPG.COM forums says a game is failing, it can only be true.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• ezpz77ezpz77 Member Posts: 227
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

GW2 is also still in the TOP 5 of amazon.com PC game sales, despite the numerous other popular games released lately.

But that's also only a lie, a conspiration - the little group of doom sayers who, on this site and others, post that games are dead because they happened to not enjoy them, can only be right. I mean, if John Doe on the MMORPG.COM forums says a game is failing, it can only be true.

I don't think too many people go to Amazon to get video games. I buy a lot of shit from Amazon, but never a video game. Nearly every comapny offers the game directly. Between Steam and other forms of digital distribution the only reason to even consider Amazon is if you want a CE or box.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

I come to MMORPG.com forums every morning, coffee in hand, and lol at these people before logging back into gw2. Game is top 10 everywhere and one of the few in the past several years to maintain high scores across the board on nearly every gaming site out there, but it's failing and a ghost town, amirite?

Until GW2 I didn't realize how much mmorpg.com forum members epitomize burying one's head in the sand, though I suppose SWTOR and this resurgent interest in Darkfall should have taught me that a long time ago.

Oh humanity, how amusing you are.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• dimnikardimnikar Member Posts: 271
    So it's a top seller on one of the millions of online shops. That's great, I guess?
  • hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

Nobody is saying that the game is dead, but the Hype was just insanely huge and a few month later,it was just that, hype.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by greenreen

And if Korrigan_Doe says it isn't failing we should buy that too, huh. Pot calling kettle as they say. As glamourous as you may feel yourself to be, your one person opinion is still worth as much as your competition's one person opinion. Sales don't indicate usage and they don't signify long-term customers. I've had things gifted to me that I never touched or repurchased because they weren't for me, they were gifts.

There's a difference between pretending a game is failing without any proof, or actually, against all evidence, and saying it's not failing with a ton of evidence and proof, along with a healthy in game population with overflows in Lion's Arch even at off hours and queues for the World vs World areas. I was leveling my Elementalist a bit today (level 23) and was meeting other players of my level all the time. Crafting areas, banks and auctions houses are crowded any time of the day.

Gandara server (EU).

I believe people who present proofs, facts, and not those saying a game is failing just because they dislike it, without any proof or evidence. Actually, that's even against the forum rules here and it's called "trolling" I think.

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

I come to MMORPG.com forums every morning, coffee in hand, and lol at these people before logging back into gw2. Game is top 10 everywhere and one of the few in the past several years to maintain high scores across the board on nearly every gaming site out there, but it's failing and a ghost town, amirite?

Until GW2 I didn't realize how much mmorpg.com forum members epitomize burying one's head in the sand, though I suppose SWTOR and this resurgent interest in Darkfall should have taught me that a long time ago.

That's not new - for a... let's say "special" category of posters here, if they dislike a game, it's failing, even if millions play it. I've been reading prediction of the doom of games like WoW for years now, notably by the "sandboxers"... and I agree with you, it's still quite amusing, specially when you see the games those people are crusading for really failing or barely surviving.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777

Nobody is saying that the game is dead, but the Hype was just insanely huge and a few month later,it was just that, hype.

That is why it is still in the top 5 of amazon... All hype. Do you hear yourself? 

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    Originally posted by Hefaistos

Because its a MMO with NO SUB. But the game is not #1 at anything. Not the best pve, not the best pvp, not the best spvp, not the best anything. Just another Free Themepark mmo.

As for # check World of Tanks accounts, League of Legends or other games that worth name it. 

Free Gamez R 2ez and 2cheap 

So you disagree with successful business practices? *looks at tsw*

For all those people who cant get a good nights rest if GW2 does well......

I feel sorry for you when GW2 wins GOTY award from 75% of sites that even offer that award.  I imagine sales will increase after everyone gives out thier rewards as well.

Ambien......I suggest Ambien (and a fifth of Glenlivet 12).

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341
    Originally posted by greenreen
    Originally posted by gaeanprayer

So you think the people on the forums are lying about finding ghost towns? What reason do they have to do such things. Think they are all subversives sent in by Blizzard?

How about this article that lies about the source of the info. They goaded this person into posting thinking they had found evidence of something that wasn't true. Now there is egg on their face. You, well, you didn't even read the comments at all to see it, you just come charging in with no source to back up your claims, at least they tried to offer a source.

Oh look, one of them replied to me. giggle giggle, snort snort.

You're the first person to bring up blizzard so, lol...dunno what you're getting at there.

*gasp* people lying about a game they don't like just to tear it down? THAT'S NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE. /sarcasm.

While we're at it, what 'people' are you referring to? The handful of people posting in this forum are drops in the bucket compared to the people playing any game, let alone one as successful as GW2. I feel like I shouldn't have to point out things that are such common sense for, though trying to find that in forums these days if obviously a laughable matter. You try to measure up my reply to conspiracy theories then hold one yourself about how all these articles are lying and there's no way the game is doing as well as people represent. Let's add hypocrisy to you while we're at it, a list can never be too full!

And what claims exactly are you refering to? The top 10 remark? Do you really need me to post links to all the places showing GW2 being top 10 in player interest, top 10 sold, top 10 of one thing or another? So on top that even extremely reputeable magazine and news outlets that have nothing to do with gaming can't help but comment on the phenomenon it is? Google is a wonderful thing. Or Bing, whatever.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• fat_taddlerfat_taddler Member Posts: 286

Not sure why anyone would need to prove that GW2 is still selling well.   The game is probably one of the few bright spots in the genre right now.  

I do believe there are some player retention issues as my guild has gone from 60-70 online each night to only having 10-15 on a good night.   But I guess that's to be expected with all of the gaming options we have at our disposal these days.