Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

why do people claim this game is best for pvp?

Comments

• PrenhoPrenho Member Posts: 298
    Originally posted by Tayah

Gw2 pvp is instanced, and to me that's not good pvp. It's great for casual players though, and that's who Gw2 caters to. We knew that.

+1, for casuals, GW2 is the heaven, but for me, Lineage 2 has a much better pvp system. Waiting for Lineage Eternal.

• iamrtaiamrta Member UncommonPosts: 165
    Man i can't wait until the word zerg goes the way of rad, bitchin and gnarly. Want to shove my face thru my lcd every time i read that.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

ANOTHER MAN'S GARBAGE IS ANOTHER MAN'S GEM. If you don't like the PvP - don't play it - PERIOD.

People like the PvP in GW2 because it is about team coordination - random arenas are just that - you can get random garbage.

• NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Originally posted by DiSpLiFF

I don't think i've heard anyone claim this game is the best for pvp. 

Anyone who does is on crack. Most of the compliments this game gets is the fact that it's B2P, and doesn't have a "gear grind". 

Ok then....... Let's take it a bit farther for the masses. GW2 is that and it offers a nice flow of exploration with the freedom from quest hub grinds. GW2 also has more voice acting in the game instead of walls of mindless text to read (the random NPC voice acting is more massive than most games over all voice acting). There are few zones where the world doesn't feel alive with NPCs (both friendly and enemy). You can hop into PvP at early levels (I believe even level 1) and be rewarded for your efforts. All zones are replayable and challenging due to the level sync system, so you enjoy exploring the starting zones of ALL areas. Combat is skill based and not gear and level based (you have to know your rolls and learn to dodge attacks)

There are many "claims" that this game can have. Is this the "Holy Grail" of MMOs? No one will go that far. Is it the best game for PvP? That is relative to what a gamer is looking to get out of PvP. For many it is a well designed MMO for PvE and PvP. If the game isn't for you then there are many out there you can find. WoW is fun if you are the one geared (at lower levels) with heirlooms and upper enchants. Rift has a nice PvP system also. Get out there and explore your options. You may find a game that you like to play.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Korrigan
    It's impossible to be spawn camped I'm ps2. The people that complain of spawn camping are either
    A) very very thick and keep spawning at the same point
    Or
    B) making shit up because half their guild went to play it

When ever you die you get a choice of 4 to 10 spawn point. 1 of which is the always safe home warp gate for that continents. When ever you are alive, like say at the warp gate, you can bring up the map and this has several redeploy points across all 3 continents where you can drop pod in. It is impossible to get spawn camped.

As for cheats, yeah I've come across a handful, but less than in gw2, wow, war.
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I miss Pvp from Daoc (Pre-ToA) days. You'd see death spam, "So and so was just killed by So and So". It added to the rush of pvp. You knew you had to be on guard, and be alert, danger from the enemy could be at any turn, any moment. No map dots or map colors to show you where danger was, you had to explore and find the enemy. Just hunting out in the frontiers was dangerous but also rewarding for coin. Ahh, those were the days....

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by stygianapoth

pvp in this game is just a mindless 5 man zerg for 1 of 3 points. it doesn't matter what build or character you have, it matters if you can out number the opposing factions and keep the nodes.

on top of that, there is no progression or accomplishment. gw2 offers no rewards whatsoever for being "good"

i quit after a week when the game came out because of the above points. if there is nothing to accomplish, what is the point of playing? especially when it all boils down to zerging.

The PvP is not very good in this game in my opinion. One of the reason I stopped playing after a month.  Also, the content is very lacking. The gameplay is craptastic.  Everything is bad at the end of the day. 

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632
    Originally posted by stygianapoth

pvp in this game is just a mindless 5 man zerg for 1 of 3 points. it doesn't matter what build or character you have, it matters if you can out number the opposing factions and keep the nodes.

on top of that, there is no progression or accomplishment. gw2 offers no rewards whatsoever for being "good"

i quit after a week when the game came out because of the above points. if there is nothing to accomplish, what is the point of playing? especially when it all boils down to zerging.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

I don't understand. You have 5 vs 5 matches in GW2. How is it possible to outnumber the other team? Now if you mean that zerging is when a team plays like a .....gasp.....team and they are able to destroy individuals who want to 1v5, then yes GW2 is definitely all about zerging.

Last time I checked in CoD and CS there was also no progression but people still play those game more than any MMO.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    No Open world PVP = fail for me.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by tixylix
    No Open world PVP = fail for me.

The game wasn't designed for it so they wouldn't be able to add it in even if they wanted to. Also, they would probably lose all the players they currently have only to get gankers.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    I didn't know people claimed tha because i think it is even worse than WOW's PvP.
  • RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by PaRoXiTiC

Simply becuase this game is best for PvP

Only game with better PvP is Knight Online World and that can be argued.

Really! perhaps you need to have a read of this before you claim GW2 is the best PVP game around, GW2 PvP is near on meaningless .

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5454980#5454980

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Play the tournaments with a team not just randoms. There is way more to it than "5 man zerg". 

Let me be clear.

While I think planetside 2 and eve have better pvp.

Gw2 pvp is still good and Is vastly superior to what constitutes pvp in wow and even more so its clones like swtor & rift.
  • The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459

Spawn camping doesn't mean they kill YOU repeatedly. It means they camp one spawn point to gank and kill anyone respawning who just died as soon as he leaves protection. Something which should be impossible in a well designed PvP MMO game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06HifY9NOHA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kgAHhnd7Ec

And by the way... the Planetside 2 forum is right here... don't thank me, you're welcome ;)

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

Yes

YOU HAVE SEVERAL CHOICES OF WHERE TO SPAWN. ONE OF WHICH IS ENTIRELY SAFE AND ALWAYS AVAILABLE.

If you are thick as pigshit and continue to click the one at the very top of the lust despite dieing 20 times on the trot then I guess that is "spawn camping" or perhaps natural selection at play.

P.s. you can actually get spawn camped in gw2 though.
  • ChingoChingo Member UncommonPosts: 128

OP, "people are saying" anything. I'd guess "people" experience GW2 PvP very differently based on their expectations for PvP and how they play it in GW2 (eg. pickup groups vs. premades, W3 vs. sPvP). 

Personally, I like strawberries.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Yes

YOU HAVE SEVERAL CHOICES OF WHERE TO SPAWN. ONE OF WHICH IS ENTIRELY SAFE AND ALWAYS AVAILABLE.

If you are thick as pigshit and continue to click the one at the very top of the lust despite dieing 20 times on the trot then I guess that is "spawn camping" or perhaps natural selection at play.

You didn't read or at least understand what I was saying. They don't kill YOU over and over again, but they still kill people who just happened to spawn at that specific spot. It's people who just died, so not ready to face several other players alone. Easy kills.

P.s. you can actually get spawn camped in gw2 though.

Actually, nope you can't - unless you can survive the legendary defenders, which I seriously doubt =P

Anyway, I'm gonna ignore PS2 propaganda from now on, as I ignore other game's propaganda - if I want to read about PS2, I go on the forum I linked in my previous post.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• ZizouXZizouX Member Posts: 670
    Originally posted by Xepo
    Originally posted by DiSpLiFF

I don't think i've heard anyone claim this game is the best for pvp. 

Anyone who does is on crack. Most of the compliments this game gets is the fact that it's B2P, and doesn't have a "gear grind". 

Ok then....... Let's take it a bit farther for the masses. GW2 is that and it offers a nice flow of exploration with the freedom from quest hub grinds. GW2 also has more voice acting in the game instead of walls of mindless text to read (the random NPC voice acting is more massive than most games over all voice acting). There are few zones where the world doesn't feel alive with NPCs (both friendly and enemy). You can hop into PvP at early levels (I believe even level 1) and be rewarded for your efforts. All zones are replayable and challenging due to the level sync system, so you enjoy exploring the starting zones of ALL areas. Combat is skill based and not gear and level based (you have to know your rolls and learn to dodge attacks)

There are many "claims" that this game can have. Is this the "Holy Grail" of MMOs? No one will go that far. Is it the best game for PvP? That is relative to what a gamer is looking to get out of PvP. For many it is a well designed MMO for PvE and PvP. If the game isn't for you then there are many out there you can find. WoW is fun if you are the one geared (at lower levels) with heirlooms and upper enchants. Rift has a nice PvP system also. Get out there and explore your options. You may find a game that you like to play.

+1 Post.  GW2 is amazingly fun for me.  I am a casual player now whereas before I was hardcore (Wow, FFXI).  I have a family, a career, etc...  I love not having to worry about "raid times" and blocking off 3 hours a night for 4 nights a week.

So, for someone who enjoys pve, pve and everything else GW2 has to offer....it really is the best of all worlds when you look at it in totality.  I'm not saying each individual part is the best, but as a whole, I really can't think of any other game that offers more value and doesn't make you feel you've been left behind everytime a content patch rolls around.

In WoW there was the pressure of maintaining pace with the content patches and the expansions.... I'm sorry I litterally cannot live that type of life and I think most first generation MMO gameers cannot as well.  We've grown up and we need a more flexible options in our lives.... 

PS - I think wow arenas had a lot of depth and strategy to combat, assuming that the teams had equal gear.  In GW2, that is ALWAYS the case.  You win or lose based solely on skill and coordination.  I also think combo fields, finishers and well thought out synergy between you and your party makes a difference.  GW2 combat is easy and fun to start, but it has a very deep combat system that few fail to really realize.

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618
    Originally posted by Rimmersman

Really! perhaps you need to have a read of this before you claim GW2 is the best PVP game around, GW2 PvP is near on meaningless .

I know its really hard for you sandboxers to understand, but a lot of us are not interested in warfare and castles.

We just want a controlled match were we can outskill people if we can.

You dont see people asking for permanent impact on the world of counter strike or dota.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by austriacus

I know its really hard for you sandboxers to understand, but a lot of us are not interested in warfare and castles.

You dont see people asking for permanent impact on the world of counter strike or dota.

lol this was great, +1.

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by austriacus

Who said the game's just about warfare and castle, i can PvP in a controlled matches and outskill people if i want as well.

So your point is mute because any type of PVP you can do in GW2 i can do in AOW and more. On top of that GW2 PvP is near on meaningless and just a repetitive bore.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

So your point is mute because...

No point has ever been mute.  Deaf, sometimes.  Blind, oh yes.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Let me be clear.

While I think planetside 2 and eve have better pvp.

Gw2 pvp is still good and Is vastly superior to what constitutes pvp in wow and even more so its clones like swtor & rift.

No, GW2 have the worst Spvp system on the market, even GW1 is better, dont know maybe a few month it will be better, but now, is just Bad, too casual, too easy, and an spam fest where teamplay or competitive pvp is not part of the game.