Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A fellow player burnt out on WOW & and I would say even the mmorpg Genre with a question.

Reion1Reion1 Member UncommonPosts: 178

Hi. My name is Chase and it has occured to me that I am completely burned out on MMORPGS. Ive been playing MOP since release and it sickens me to log on and raid through the content. I don't know if it's the mechanics or if I have simply had enough of the game. I haven't really been following GW2 all that much but I did read that for the dungeon system there is no trinity, and that the game itself is the "end-game." I have a few questions that may or may not have been answered, so if they have I am truely sorry and will use the search feature more often.

Could someone tell me how does that make sense?

As far as dungeons go if I ever get the urge to run one how many are there currently?

I know GW2 is about PVP. How balanced is this game and who currently has the upper class on all the others?

I know that I can jump into PVP almost automatically but is it worth my time to reach cap and PVP that way?

Updates, How far in between do they update the game. It seems to me that every time I find myself on mmorpg there's a column on a new update or a new event, but could that be just the holiday season or is that how AN does things/

Most importantly, as an ex WOW player who is burnt out on raiding and making raid times and putting together groups will GW2 offer me something to negate that feeling? Is it even worth my time? I know it's B2P and I have no problem shelling out the loot I would just like a response from seasoned players. Thanks in advance.

"Everything the light touches is our kingdom" -- Mufasa
---

Comments

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    If your looking for a game that is completly different than what your use to i suggest a game like darkfall, it might be worth taking a look into it if you realy wanna try somthing different. (one thing to note there a smaller company so you will see delays on patches and all that, game is currently set to release in janurary and beta on the coming monday for those who preorder the game.
  • dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

Bad place to ask

Right now we are on the "GW2 was the biggest disappointment I ever had in my life" period, so take what everyone says with a grain of salt

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,416
    I'll be honest, gw2 is just another dead ended linear quest driven game just like wow is, they just did it a bit diffrently. Its been like 10 years since a mmo with real endgame has been released. Endgame=raiding and the game has stuff to do other than raiding or farming that you can use the gear for (Daoc: rvr land control, eq2 mentoring and doing dungeons u skipped for AA exp, or pvp, or a myrad of other things)

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,416
    Originally posted by sanshi44
    If your looking for a game that is completly different than what your use to i suggest a game like darkfall, it might be worth taking a look into it if you realy wanna try somthing different. (one thing to note there a smaller company so you will see delays on patches and all that, game is currently set to release in janurary and beta on the coming monday for those who preorder the game.

Id stay far away from darkfall uw, its going to fail just like most gank/grief based mmo's, make a server where you cannot get looted on your char dying and the game will survive, but as it is, I doubt it'll last 3 months.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by Siveria

Id stay far away from darkfall uw, its going to fail just like most gank/grief based mmo's, make a server where you cannot get looted on your char dying and the game will survive, but as it is, I doubt it'll last 3 months.

Well the original darkfall lasted 2 years or so before they decided to remake it, I dont see why everyone so scared of full loot gear isnt hard to come by in full loot games. If you have played darkfall at all you will find gear isnt an issue at all.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163

Try TSW -- just went B2P and it's a pretty refreshing change -- modern day conspiracy and horror.  Nice article on Massively today

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/12/13/why-i-play-the-secret-world/

• shadyjamesshadyjames Member Posts: 34
    Originally posted by Reion1

Hi. My name is Chase and it has occured to me that I am completely burned out on MMORPGS. Ive been playing MOP since release and it sickens me to log on and raid through the content. I don't know if it's the mechanics or if I have simply had enough of the game. I haven't really been following GW2 all that much but I did read that for the dungeon system there is no trinity, and that the game itself is the "end-game." I have a few questions that may or may not have been answered, so if they have I am truely sorry and will use the search feature more often.

As far as dungeons go if I ever get the urge to run one how many are there currently?

I know GW2 is about PVP. How balanced is this game and who currently has the upper class on all the others?

I know that I can jump into PVP almost automatically but is it worth my time to reach cap and PVP that way?

Updates, How far in between do they update the game. It seems to me that every time I find myself on mmorpg there's a column on a new update or a new event, but could that be just the holiday season or is that how AN does things/

Most importantly, as an ex WOW player who is burnt out on raiding and making raid times and putting together groups will GW2 offer me something to negate that feeling? Is it even worth my time? I know it's B2P and I have no problem shelling out the loot I would just like a response from seasoned players. Thanks in advance.

Since everyone else is in the xmas depression it seems I'll try to actually answer your questions.

The trinity thing is basically everyone is dps with their own heal abilities. It does work and you can heal others with various skills, and buffs. The combat is a bit more fast then I remember it in wow.

I don't pvp much but I am sure others who do will weigh in.

I guess if you reach cap first you could get some experinece in the way skills work, but that's all I can see.

As for updates, we've had the haloween patch then a major event patch in Nov. adding a new area and dungeon. xmas patch coming up tomorrow, and we have been told a major patch in Jan or Feb to rival an expansion I think is how they put it.

GW2 I find is way more casual then WOW, I play every day but not nearly as long as I use to in wow. I don't think you'd have much trouble putting dungeon groups together. The community seems more friendly less "if your gear score isn't X we don't want you" kinda thing. I may be biased since I left wow 2 years back and have been waiting for GW2 ever since. I like, I know that means nothing to you, since you don't knwo me. But Like the guy a few posts up said take everything with a grain of salt. I hope I helped in a small way. I am sure others will be along.

• RazperilRazperil Member Posts: 289

Won't last 3 months huh? Just because you don't have the heart for this type of game does not mean it will not succeed. The original did fine and I'm betting this will too.

By the way, the original was not as much as a gankfest as people say either. I had no problems with that and I even traded materials with red characters. The easiest way that people died in that game was by the dragon(only those that have actually played it will know what I mean). I am looking forward to it.

Back on topic: GW2 is not for everyone, that much is clear. The updates have been way better than Borecraft, and honestly, I think it will only become better in time. I like it; it's fun and I'm enjoying it, period. The only way you will ever know if you like it is to try it out. Not one person on here can do that for you. Good luck.

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    Guild wars 2 is a great game. I reccomend it fully, as does millions of others and review sites. Just look at videos of it on youtube, mmorpg.com os in fact one of the worst places to ask. 
  • VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Chase, unfortunately you're going to mostly find the trolls and haters in these forums nowadays. I'd recommend the official forums for a less hostile crowd.

The dungeons in GW2 are a blast imo. The newest, Fractals of the Mists, are addictively fun. PvP comes in 2 flavors... an arena style, which will automatically max out your characters gear and stats to keep it competitive, and World vs World, which boosts your stats to 80 but you have the gear and skills you bring. (You can level all the way up in there, though, so you're not stuck with lower gear. Players drop loot as well.) Updates are monthly, and they've been doing large updates as well. Wintersday starts tomorrow, that will be a month long seasonal event and looks like it'll be a blast. The January and February updates are said to contain the equivalent content of a full expansion, but they haven't really let the cat out of the bag as to what's in them yet.

If you like PvE, there's plenty of that... the myth that GW2 is all about PvP carries over from GW1, which pretty much was initially but expanded the PvE after that. I've been playing since before the betas and I'm still hooked, I highly recommend taking a look. With Wintersday starting tomorrow there's really no better time to check it out. If you get on Jade Quarry server, look up Volkon, I'd be glad to help you out if needed.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    I personally can't stand the gameplay, but the setting and quest system of TSW is among the best out, partially because it's very un-wow.  Seriously give it a try once the F2P thing goes live.

You make me like charity

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603

Everyone is DPS with their own heals and supports. The entire game can be accessed from level 1 is what "end game" means.

There are 9 dungeons including Fractals of the Mist. Best to be level 80 before running them. An honest opinion is that only about 5 of the 9 are any fun. Fractals of the Mist is a very fun dungeon and unique scaling system.

I run a Greatsword/Longbow Warrior and I would say the game is possibly the most balanced game I ever played. If I had to give an upper class it would go to Berzerker Thieves due to their cloaking abilities and high DPS. A good mesmer is pretty tough to handle as well.

sPvP it does not matter because everyone is equal from lvl 1. World vs World vs World (Where the fun is I might add) You can make an impact at level 1 by manning siege and using supply to build siege, however, it is better to be level 80 and geared so that you can help in ground battles or battles for supply camps.

So far we have had 2 Major updates in 3 1/2 months so I would say that is getting your moneys worth. Tomorrow starts another Major update and then we get and even bigger FREE major update coming in February.

You have brought up the most amazing part of this game, especially for people like myself who have a family and full time job. You will never feel obligated to play the game. On the flip side, even though I don't feel obligated to play I have put in 460 hours already. It is a lot of fun, doesn't take long to get good gear, hell it really doesn't take long to get the best gear. I was max geared in less than a month of casual play.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

I've been playing MMOs for over 13 years. I was pretty burnt out as well, typically getting less than 40 hours of play from most MMOs since WoW, with even the most outstanding not pegging more than 100 hours before I just got bored/tired and moved on.

For GW2, I've recently surpassed the 600 hour mark and I'm still going strong. The game population is very healthy, the /ragequit mentality seems to be missing from the community and there is almost too much content/worldspace/options for things to do.

It's by far one of the best values ever in the MMO genre.

It's familiar enough to be accessible for MMO fans, but different enough to feel fresh and new.

I think any burnt out MMO fan owes it to themselves to give the game a shot. If you do decide to go for it, try to enter with an open mind and give yourself enough time to adapt to the different ways the game does things.

The game is very solo friendly, but it's best enjoyed with others. I enjoy my solo time, but my most enjoyable sessions have always been while grouped with others.

Anyway, I'm still having a blast and the people I most often play with were all former MMO burn outs and they also continue to enjoy the game. I can't think of a better MMO among the current crop for someone who wants to find an MMO to play, but has been battling general MMO fatigue.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• ZyzraZyzra Member Posts: 354

I read this topic's title a few times.

Still no idea.

• WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411

I went back to WoW after the disappointment of SWTOR and started a new account fresh, levelled a few chars before MoP was released. After a couple of months of MoP I got burnt out because it was all daily quests here, there and everywhere. I started thinking my everyday life was a daily quest so I cancelled.

Don't get me wrong, I like MoP but I think the devs went a little OTT with the whole daily quest thing and I know a lot of other people feel the same as we want a game to play, not to slave over, especially after work ect.

Anyway, after a good bit of time off from playing MMO's and sticking solely to my PS3, I am refreshed and ready to start playing MMO's again and just at the right time too it seems as the news of TSW becoming a B2P game has now wet my appetite.

So, best thing to do is take some time off, spend Xmas away from the MMO genre and come back too it in the New Year refreshed and maybe check out a different MMO.

Anyway, hope you enjoy whatever you do and have a Merry Xmas :)

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

Every class can DPS, although some can DPS better than others. In addition to DPS, they have various support/debuff/control mechanics than can be combod. For example, Warrior shoots a burning arrow and sets the ground on fire -> Guardian whirls through it, comboing with the "fire field" and causing even more fire -> Mesmer support them by removing their conditions and giving even more combo fields.

The game doesn't change drastically after you get to lvl 80. In addition to that, your level gets lowered whever you enter a lower-level area, so even lvl 35 dungeons are still relatively challenging for lvl 80 players.

9 dungeons, 8 of which are split into different paths. Basically, you get to choose where to go after entering the dungeon and fight different bosses, etc. accordingly.

There are several modes of PvP and class balance depends on which mode you're playing. Generally, all classes are viable, but some are a bit more powerful than others or have good "newbie killer" builds. In other words, I think balance is quite good, but could be improved greatly especially when it comes to build variety.

Again, depends on the mode. Instanced 5 vs. 5 PvP has nothing to do with your PvE stats and is basically a separate game. In WvW (massive PvP with hundreds of players, sieges, etc.) your PvE level matters a lot, but you can also gain XP there, so it's possible to reach lvl 80 through PvP alone, although more difficult than leveling through PvE.

Most importantly, as an ex WOW player who is burnt out on raiding and making raid times and putting together groups will GW2 offer me something to negate that feeling?

It doesn't have raids. Dungeons are very... relaxed compared to raiding. I like it.

• skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

GW2 does things different but in the end it failed to deliver what it promised.

The PVE Part: Linear Quest, but you get more zones zo chose from and you don't have to "accept" quest, rather just enter an area and do what it tells you. It's still a checklist.

Dynamic events are not dynamic much if at all. They are ok to be participated though, eases up on the checklist questing.

"Endgame", well who guessed. You can gear threadmill in dungeons and finish up your world completion, the last zone of ORR offers more events than other zones, but they are pretty static and broken when it comes down to scaling, means you can't do them alone and if people show up, you better hurry to tag (hit each mob once) so you get credit at all in a huge spankfest (while you wait for respawning event monsters). this will possible keep you busy for 2 evenings at best.

The classes are pretty meh, since from metal steel armor wearing warrior to a "real mage" Elementalist every class is a pure steampunk mage. They all "nuke" shiney color patterns from range between 3 to 40 meters.

There is no holy trinity but a holy duality. They removed [melee] Tanks from the equation, still classes like guardians and elementalists will be your "healers and cleaners" in the hard instances.
    NPC enemy encounters are absolutely unbalanced and borderline right out broken.
    Some spam stacking debuffs per hit and in contrary to what people tell you aside from guardians and elementalists no other class can cure them fast and often enough (on self and especially others).

It's mostly about bringing enough cleanses (for you and your party members) into a fight and most often than not (who guessed) you end up with the lack of a "healer" which makes it unecessary harder. (you see great design for a "non" trinity class game...not)

Dungeons are 99% mechanic broken, which means you can do things which would be considered an "exploit" to finish the bossfights. Heavy trash intensive too, you spend more time on the way than actually fighting and figuring boss mechanics out. So most people will try to "outsmart" the trash and run above the map borders, stealth pass, reset those.
    Mesmer illusions can trivialize content and boss fights by just being there and soaking up any relevant damage.

If you end up with something like a mesmer, elementalist or guardian you probably gonna love the game's "hard" instances - that is they don't bug out.

PVP is actually where GW2 starts more to shine, howevery granted you like to play a "mage".

It's not all that bad, i still play GW2 casually and they did a lot of things right, but if you are burned out of the "WOW" model, GW2 is a risky gamble and may not carry you past 3 weeks.

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

One, Fractals of the Mists. There are a bunch of others that were in at release, but Fractals obsoleted them, and you'll never get a group for any of them. Especially since you need to run them in story mode to unlock explorable mode. People wanting to run them in story mode now is a tiny minority of a tiny minority.

I know GW2 is about PVP. How balanced is this game and who currently has the upper class on all the others?I know that I can jump into PVP almost automatically but is it worth my time to reach cap and PVP that way?

The thing to keep in mind is that there are two very different forms of PvP.

Structured PvP is like WoW battlegrounds, team vs. team in an instance. I don't play that because it doesn't offer anything WoW battlegrounds didn't offer years and years ago. In this form, you are not only boosted to level 80 but given all skills in the game and free choice of gear. So there is absolutely no need to level your character in order to do SPvP.

World vs. World is large numbers of players fighting over a persistent group of zones that resets every week. You get boosted to level 80 stats but if you haven't actually levelled your character you'll have much less choice of skills, so being a "real" level 80 is a lot better. You do earn XP by doing WvW, though.

I find WvW a lot of fun, and don't feel like there are any particular class balance issues. Some people whine about thieves or warriors but imho numbers and tactics are vastly more significant than which class shows up to a fight.

I've loved the sieges in WvW, I really feel like it gives the sense of a genuine medieval siege, the tension of defending a castle as more and more catapults and rams get built outside, or the bloodlust of finally cracking the gates when you're attacking, and everyone swarming in eager to slaughter the few defenders.

They've certainly done a lot so far. The Halloween and Christmas events offered various different things to do, and the Lost Shores update added a new zone and a new dungeon (with undesirable effects, imho, but it was certainly an update).

Look I'm pretty sure you'll find something in there to entertain you. It's definitely a game well-suited to just jumping in and doing something, which could be what you need if you're burned out on the middle-management of WoW raiding.

• KalestonKaleston Member Posts: 173

I've been in your shoes. I was totally burned out of wow... tried different things... Eve, some f2p. GW2 was the best so far. What I love the most, there is no urge of rushing forward. This game can be played so casually it's almost impossible :) Thanks to mostly horizontal progression, there is no way you could loose track with people around you if you are slower than they are. It's really beautiful game, so just strolling aorund watching stuff is very fine experience.

So yeah, GW2 is very soothing experience for me. I still play a lot (4 hours a day and more), but it's very different. I'm not forcing myself to play, I just do what I want when I want without feeling I'm missing something.

As for your questions. PvP is not balanced by any means (at least for casual player like myself). But it's quite fun even if you are not preferred class.

There are 8x(3+1) dungeons + fractals that contain 9 mini dungeons in itself. Also big content patches tend to have an (easy) temporary dungeons in itself. There are also a few mini dungeons in world, that are not instanced dungeons that you can access after meating some conditions (usually dynamic event chain). + Jumping puzzles that are sort of solo dungeons.

I think there is major content patch every 2 months. Big patches are rolling every month.

As for game being end game. You can go back to lower zones because game will scale you down, so it's not like in wow where you go there and everything dies in one hit. In zones it's partially working (level 80 char going to start zone will pretty much blast everything very fast), in dungeons it works very well and even as 80 visiting lower level dungeons is challenging. But I think main concept is, you can get cool stuff in lower level zones the same as in higher level ones, it's not like in wow, where you need to go higher and higher, because below you is nothing you could possibly want.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

As a former raider myself, this is one of the places GW2 missed the mark. Most raiders raid for the competition. Competition on that level does not exist in GW2. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by Ortwig

Try TSW -- just went B2P and it's a pretty refreshing change -- modern day conspiracy and horror.  Nice article on Massively today

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/12/13/why-i-play-the-secret-world/

^ this x100

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• DoomtecDoomtec Member Posts: 32
    GW2 is fun for two weeks. After that you realise how repetitive it is, and that you've already played this kind of game for years.
  • timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865
    GW2 is a nice game and surely was worth the money. But in my opinion it has no future as mmo. It is a singleplayer game above all, nothing to do after you reach level 80 aside from pvp.. and for an pvp lover as myself the pvp is seriously lacking in both population as well as esport attractiveness
    Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716

I will say this I was pretty big into raiding at one time and when I got burned out I went on a hunt for a game that was not all about that I played alot of games but once I started playing GW2 my thoughts of raiding went away theres alot to do in GW2 from crafting to just exploring that are more fun to do than questing. 

The PvP as in WvWvW is alot of fun to do but I do it mostly on weekends right now and do some sPvP (arenas) from time to time but both can be fun. There are classes that some call op and some that just stomp other classes.

The trinty is there just in another form its control support and damage I beleave and alot of people say most are dmg with a heal and thats not totaly true some do run dmg but I see alot run a mix such as myself I run support/control on my mesmer and control dmg on my warrior but i have alts to that I play and enjoy the change.

Endgame dungeons can be fun and can also remind you of the grind in WoW if you dont mix it up from time to time so thats what I do I might run the same dungeons area 2x then move to another but I never just run one none stop.

Everthing else in the game from the overland dungeons to the champion mobs and even the DE's can be fun if you dont site around waiting to do the same one all the time. Dragon fights can be fun or just a massive zerg but I run them almost daily on one toon or another.

The game is fun and should be up to the player to decide but you asked and some have told you there thoughts and thats all this is so good luck. Also TSW did just go B2P and is a good game and fun at the same time from what i have played so far but those details of the game are for another discusion.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    I'll be honest, gw2 is just another dead ended linear quest driven game just like wow is, they just did it a bit diffrently. Its been like 10 years since a mmo with real endgame has been released. Endgame=raiding and the game has stuff to do other than raiding or farming that you can use the gear for (Daoc: rvr land control, eq2 mentoring and doing dungeons u skipped for AA exp, or pvp, or a myrad of other things)

Then you haven't played the game if you think it is linear. The only part that is linear is the PS - that is it. You can go whereever you like.

End game is not raiding and you can help people throught GW2 - you do scale down to the area.