Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is DUST in trouble?

evemaster00evemaster00 Member Posts: 171

We have Trion Worlds' 'Defiance' launching in April next year, 4 months away. It looks like everything that DUST could have been. What's more is it's going to be on PC, Xbox and PS3. Dust is limited to PS3.

I may be an EVE player but screw DUST, which is the same thinking of most EVE players, they don't care for DUST, and now we have a competing style of mmo releasing around the same time and sorry, but it looks like they've outclassed CCP with this one.

Comments

• SiderasSideras Member Posts: 231
    The whole concept behind DUST was really cool, too bad the game sucks ass. I was expecting something of Planetsides scale but it wasn't even on the same scale as BF3. Pathetic.
  • ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I still don't understand why DUST didn't port to PC. Just doesn't make sense.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• KroxMalonKroxMalon Member UncommonPosts: 608
    Originally posted by Sideras
    The whole concept behind DUST was really cool, too bad the game sucks ass. I was expecting something of Planetsides scale but it wasn't even on the same scale as BF3. Pathetic.

Dont think you quite realise what the concept of Dust 514 was and is then.

Because they concept is becoming a reality.

• vonryan123vonryan123 Member UncommonPosts: 418

From an eve player stand point Dust was in shit before it even made beta.

Foreget the fact its only ps3 atm and look at what the game mechanics will offer on top of the fact Console and PC gamers will never get along. Even if the game does well in the first few months I give it inside a year before we see a PC port or shut down.

Why? well anyone thats played FPS's on console or in general can more then likely agree once the next "Big" fps comes out Dust will get dropped like a bad habbit.                                                                                                                                                              

Even after that with the way eve is and the current game mechanics that would give Dust staying power.....well thats just it there is no staying power.

Nothing to build nothing to "earn" (I dont count titles and rank as valid solid game mechanic to keep people).

I wish dust all the luck in the world as a 5 year eve player (even though they shit in our faces all the time)

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059

If it had a PC version I think it would do much better.  I mean PC FPSs seem to have more staying power(Counter Strike anyone?) and CCPs client base is already PC gamers.

It should have been PC>PS3>360(if they could work something out with microsoft).

• SentimeSentime Member UncommonPosts: 270
    Originally posted by evemaster00

We have Trion Worlds' 'Defiance' launching in April next year, 4 months away. It looks like everything that DUST could have been. What's more is it's going to be on PC, Xbox and PS3. Dust is limited to PS3.

I may be an EVE player but screw DUST, which is the same thinking of most EVE players, they don't care for DUST, and now we have a competing style of mmo releasing around the same time and sorry, but it looks like they've outclassed CCP with this one.

Defiance is a game that hasn't been released yet and you have absolutely no idea how it'll turn out.  One thing for sure it won't be DUST because it won't be in the EVE universe.

Just a reminder that EVE is more then about flashy, sparkly tihngs and mindless pew pew, and no you don't represent the thinking of most EVE players.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    I play Eve and I have no interest in DUST.  Its on a console and there are already a lot of good shooters out there.  Why CCP thought this would bring in more dollars is beyond me.  It also concerns me that people seem to be leaving CCP.  Over or whatever his name was who left to go to Trion was a founder of CCP or at least in there from a very early part.  To see him leave (and there have been others) is kinda scary.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

DUST is going to be releasing too late and inferior. Planetside 2 has already cornered the market and set the standard for the kind of mmofps that DUST also wanted to be.

DUST is in trouble NOW, not when it is going to be released.

• SlothnChunkSlothnChunk Member UncommonPosts: 788
    I think DUST is in major trouble. The concept behind it sounds awesome while the game itself isn't impressive at all.
  • JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

DUST is going to be releasing too late and inferior. Planetside 2 has already cornered the market and set the standard for the kind of mmofps that DUST also wanted to be.

pretty much.

on top of this they really screwed up by making this a PS3 exclusive when 100% of EvE players are PC users.

i've played Dust and it's just not that good. knowing that i is linked to EvE is sort of a cool angle but having to have a PS3 to play it is a deal breaker.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

pretty much.

on top of this they really screwed up by making this a PS3 exclusive when 100% of EvE players are PC users.

i've played Dust and it's just not that good. knowing that i is linked to EvE is sort of a cool angle but having to have a PS3 to play it is a deal breaker.

I think considering how good a job that SOE this time did (very out of the ordinary for SOE, I'd say well done) on Planetside 2, I can't help but feel that CCP probably should've worked with SOE on DUST instead of just getting the PS3 licensing and release the game on PC.

Especially considering the scale the they planned for Planetside2 (sea wars, carriers, freehold 4th continent, etc)... that could've easily be the scale that made DUST great.

It is an evil thought to think anyone going into alliance with SOE, but is something that came to my mind regarding this whole dilemma, lol.

• SentimeSentime Member UncommonPosts: 270

Planteside 2?  Please.  

Things aren't looking so hot for that game.

DUST will be a niche game and I doubt that CCP cares about taking on the world.  They'll do their own thing like they did with EVE.

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    Originally posted by Zekiah

Maybe it's all an evil plot to port EVE to PS3 as their new platform of choice after SOE buys out CCP ... ;)

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Crazy_Stick

Maybe it's all an evil plot to port EVE to PS3 as their new platform of choice after SOE buys out CCP ... ;)

Given SOE's financial performance in the last few years, it may be CCP that buys out SOE... image

Except that CCP wouldn't be THAT stupid... would they ? image

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Agreed. Worst decision EVER.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko
    Originally posted by Crazy_Stick

Given SOE's financial performance in the last few years, it may be CCP that buys out SOE... image

Except that CCP wouldn't be THAT stupid... would they ? image

Please. CCP is a one game wonder. Say what you say about SOE, I dont particulary like them because what they did with SWG and EQ 2, but they have created many games of which many were commercially successful. CCP created ONE game that is successful and that is it.

DUST looks to be a super nische game due to the idiotic decision to make it PS3 only and that horror/vampire MMO whats-it-name is nowhere to be seen for years.

• jagd1jagd1 Member Posts: 281

I dont know about defiance but this is not a surprise if you know CCP.   They got lucky with eve  without competition at genre and getting early on scene but i can tell they cant make a good game even if their life depend to it . Eve is nothing more than 4 elements at space (4 races / 4 damage types / 4 missile types /4 meta levels etc )  basicly with some other mechanics from UO  ( if you know eve history you know CCP devs/founders  meeted in playing  UO first )  .

Do you realise how is terriblle design is POS system ? Do you even thinked about this crap UI change  and wait anything good from a company made it ?  Sometimes you see a singer get hit with a song and  repeat it after rest of all career  ,i guess it is  one hit wonder in english  ,not sure .  Yes that one hit wonder singer is CCP  .

PS: I left after that UIGATE

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

I may be an EVE player but screw DUST, which is the same thinking of most EVE players, they don't care for DUST...

Were you basing your statement on a different set of data?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Isn't your graph saying the same thing?

• reb007reb007 Member UncommonPosts: 613
    Originally posted by Gdemami

That's a stupid, yet clever graph... the two defining questions are given slightly different shades of the same color... (at first glance, I thought the 55% was the "Definitely would not play" portion. I had to look closely at the key to see the subtle difference in shades of blue.)

That graph is meaningless.

When I first heard of DUST 514, I probably would have voted "Definitely would play" even though I don't own a PS3.  I "definitely would play" if I owned a PS3 and the game was fun.

• SuprGamerXSuprGamerX Member Posts: 531
    Well you never know , maybe CCP will port it to PC. Heck , like all game Dev in the console world , CCP hasn't seen what Nintendo was up to with the Wii U when they announced Dust.  So maybe they'll do what SquareEnix did with the new Final Fantasy project for the PS3 and toss it in the garbage and begin from scratch for the Wii-U. :)
  • 3-4thElf3-4thElf Member Posts: 489

Dust isn't a bad game. It's a sci fi tactical shooter. It won't appeal to certain crowds, but there's rather involved systems at work for the shooter.

The game will exist like EVE. It'll grow slowly. Plus it's pricing model pretty much means it'll make a profit. Will it be Blizzard like profits? No. Will it be better than expected? Probably.

Once a friend tells a friend how best to configure their armor, weapons, and the scale of the stakes (which isn't even implimented yet, we've tested 3 different game modes only). It'll grow.

TRION makes simple games. Planetside is fun, but has no real scope.

Content will matter, and DUST has a chance to add a rather large chunk to consoles.

a yo ho ho

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Gigat

That's a stupid, yet clever graph... the two defining questions are given slightly different shades of the same color... (at first glance, I thought the 55% was the "Definitely would not play" portion. I had to look closely at the key to see the subtle difference in shades of blue.)

When I first heard of DUST 514, I probably would have voted "Definitely would play" even though I don't own a PS3.  I "definitely would play" if I owned a PS3 and the game was fun.

The survey stated DUST 514 was a PS3 exclusive. It was also sent out after  the announcement (Press Release, gaming media, Fanfest 2012) that it was PS3 exclusive. I believe the question asked was specifically "How likely are you to play the game when it becomes available on the PlayStation Store?" 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• reb007reb007 Member UncommonPosts: 613
    Originally posted by Gigat

The survey stated DUST 514 was a PS3 exclusive. It was also sent out after  the announcement (Press Release, gaming media, Fanfest 2012) that it was PS3 exclusive. I believe the question asked was specifically "How likely are you to play the game when it becomes available on the PlayStation Store?" 

Ah that makes sense.  When I first heard the announcement for DUST over a year ago, I resubbed to EVE to get ready for it.  I was really excited.  I probably won't be playing it, but I'll keep an eye on it and see how it does.

I haven't been following it lately.  How does it tie in with EVE?

• WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600
    why does every dust tread turn into a crybaby handholding session about the ps3?