Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It finally happend...

L0stL0st Member Posts: 77

The day that I knew would finally come has come and left me a bit dazed. The day that I finally have become burnt out on MMOs in general is now here. I tried to go back to TSW since it was "free"  now and I just sat there at the starting area asking myself, "What the hell are you doing here?". I logged off and don't plan on going back any time soon. I can finally say enough is enough and that I'm done with MMOs at least till some thing else comes out that can draw me back in but I don't see that happening any time soon.

I've been playing MMOs since I was 11 years old and now that I'm in my mid 20s I look back and realize truly just how long I've been on the scene and just how many games I have played. I've played almost every MMO under the sun and I just can't stand it any more.  My first true love was Ultima Online, then I moved on to EverQuest and fell in love with that one too then later WoW came along and I hopped on that wagon till Cata, and of course playing different ones in between all that time. Even with all that I could never find a game I felt truly comfortable in enough to settle and take root.  SWTOR was a big let down to me. GW2 wasn't for me and TSW just isn't appealing anymore. MMOs just ain't what they use to be eh?

Anyway, with that said, any one else burnt out like me?

Have any hope for the future of MMOs?

Any certain game you following that you think would rekindle that MMO love you once had? :P

Comments

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363

playing for like 15 years , still no tired :P , a bit burned out ? yeah ....

• TwoPlyTwoPly Member UncommonPosts: 29
    I'm in the same boat... I started with UO back in '97 - LOVED it.  I have desperately been trying to find a successor for that game.  SW:G was it for me for a while but that died for me after they changed it all around.   Played WoW and multitudes of others but am still searching.  Sometimes I think that I've just outgrown MMO's...but I don't want to give up just yet :(
  • OberholzerOberholzer Member Posts: 498
    Been playing since EQ1, I certainly go through phases of burnout but I always find something to get into at least for a while. I still hope a game will come that really hooks me in for an extended period but it's not happening at the moment. play GW2 here and there but haven't had much time to put into it due to RL so I can't even give it a real yay or nay in my own opinion yet. Although I don't find myself chomping at the bit to log in. I guess I'll just see what comes.
  • TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I'm trying to hold on until Repopulation or Archeage.  Dabbling in other things in the meantime, like Far Cry 3, Skyrim and Torchlight 2.  My last mmo was GW2.  It was fun till max level. 

I'd really love to jump back into Precu SWG.  A lot of the old games are still around for people that loved them.  I wish a legitimate version of my game was still around, or at the very least a single player version.  A single player version would probably feel pretty lonely though.

Lately it feels like my mind drifts a bit in games, like my attention is elsewhere.  I find myself thinking more about design decisions and why a developer did this or that instead of becoming immersed in the game. 

• L0stL0st Member Posts: 77
    Originally posted by Terranah

I'm trying to hold on until Repopulation or Archeage.

Yeah, I've been looking over Archage and it seems a little appealing but I've been burned so many times that I just see most of them as a wolf in sheeps clothing.  I'll still keep watching though just incase.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

I find myself thinking more about design decisions and why a developer did this or that instead of becoming immersed in the game. 

Nicely said.  I have that happen as well.  Instead of seeing the world, all I see is game mechanics and artwork.

I was working on an idea for an FPS-RPG hybrid and went back and played Unreal Classic that I hadn't played in ages.  It was great, really immersive.  GF and I played through the full game then the expansion.  I don't know what to make of it, but maybe the change of scenery or getting away from tab-target combat and quest hopping was the cause.  I can honestly say I had fun, which I can seldom say anymore with MMORPGs.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • wesjrwesjr Member UncommonPosts: 506
    When I am burnt on MMO's I switch to 1st/3rd person shooters.
  • DancingQueenDancingQueen Member Posts: 201
    Originally posted by wesjr

What is a 2nd person shooter?

Maybe we have a untapped market here?

Just think for a moment that if a 3rd person shooter sells 9 million copies then maybe a 2nd person shooter will sell 12-13 million copies or even more?

• xeniarxeniar Member UncommonPosts: 805
    Originally posted by SoraStar

I'm trying to hold on until Repopulation or Archeage.

Yeah, I've been looking over Archage and it seems a little appealing but I've been burned so many times that I just see most of them as a wolf in sheeps clothing.  I'll still keep watching though just incase.

ive been doing that with alot of MMo's lately. i havnt bought a ton wich i normally would by. Tera Rift age of conan. tried them all. looks like fun, is fun tbh. but that only lasts while leveling. when you get at that cap it all turns into the same rubbish.

i tought GW2 would be the holy grail with the dynamic events and being buy to play ive bought that one. now im bored out of my mind. if i wanted to do dungeons all day i could have sticked with WoW. Yes there is WvW but im apearantly on a terible server we dominated in the first month then it went downhill, and nobody seem intrested in going anymore.

• fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506

You logged off because TSW is a horrible game in execution. The idea behind TSW is great, but the combat is subpar, which is 90% of MMO's. 

After playing other games like TERA, GW2, PS2... the combat in TSW is just garbage. The only thing the game really has going for it is the investigation quests. 

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

I'm done with MMOs....(qualifiers coming)....at least till some thing else comes out that can draw me back in but I don't see that happening any time soon...(yep, there they are).

No offense op, but ...we've read this op just a few times before.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• LyzeLyze Member Posts: 3
    darkfall unholy wars
  • finnadfinnad Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by Lyze
    darkfall unholy wars

this.

Next generation of mmorpg's.

• ReckerRecker Member Posts: 161

The day that I knew would finally come has come and left me a bit dazed. The day that I finally have become burnt out on MMOs in general is now here. I tried to go back to TSW since it was "free"  now and I just sat there at the starting area asking myself, "What the hell are you doing here?". I logged off and don't plan on going back any time soon. I can finally say enough is enough and that I'm done with MMOs at least till some thing else comes out that can draw me back in but I don't see that happening any time soon.

I've been playing MMOs since I was 11 years old and now that I'm in my mid 20s I look back and realize truly just how long I've been on the scene and just how many games I have played. I've played almost every MMO under the sun and I just can't stand it any more.  My first true love was Ultima Online, then I moved on to EverQuest and fell in love with that one too then later WoW came along and I hopped on that wagon till Cata, and of course playing different ones in between all that time. Even with all that I could never find a game I felt truly comfortable in enough to settle and take root.  SWTOR was a big let down to me. GW2 wasn't for me and TSW just isn't appealing anymore. MMOs just ain't what they use to be eh?

Any certain game you following that you think would rekindle that MMO love you once had? :P

I've been playing since before the 64mb TNT Video Card was the latest and greatest, and ive been tired since EQ2/WOW themepark mmo started since its been mostly the same shit in a new can.

• gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757
    Originally posted by finnad
    darkfall unholy wars

this.

Yeah, well, that is exactly the same argument that was used to promote the previous release. "Next generation". Next generation turned out to mean grinding afk swimming against a wall, macroing everything to death and gank-fest.

Every new game coming out happens to be "new generation"; to the point that the expression no longer means crap.

• DancingQueenDancingQueen Member Posts: 201
    Originally posted by gordiflu
    darkfall unholy wars

this.

Yeah, well, that is exactly the same argument that was used to promote the previous release. "Next generation". Next generation turned out to mean grinding afk swimming against a wall, macroing everything to death and gank-fest.

Every new game coming out happens to be "new generation"; to the point that the expression no longer means crap.

Every new game is "next generation" in the eyes of it's marketing department. ;)

• L0stL0st Member Posts: 77
    Originally posted by DancingQueen
    darkfall unholy wars

this.

Every new game is "next generation" in the eyes of it's marketing department. ;)

Exactly. They might claim its new and ground breaking yet it's just a new verison of the same boring shit year after year.

• Yodi2007Yodi2007 Member Posts: 167

Just think for a moment that if a 3rd person shooter sells 9 million copies then maybe a 2nd person shooter will sell 12-13 million copies or even more?

2nd person shooter is more like the one getting head shot by the 1st person in the shooter game....!lol

Below is where we can disscuss and come up with new ideas for Sandparks!

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5164689#5164689

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    darkfall unholy wars

this.

A game's place on the timeline helps too. Each subsequent release of games is literally, the next generation. It is up to consumers to decide wether the next generation of games are good or not. 

Generation is a term denoting time, not quality. As DancingQueen eluded to; if you hear the term 'next generation' and think that means 'better' - you are a tool of marketers instead of knowledgable of word definitions.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Brilliant Dancing!  It just unlocked a whole new genre in game design.  :-)

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Yep. Investing in old console systems/games atm, can't stomach to even turn on my comp.

Meh, some days I do but others I think things will just continue to get worse. We'll see.

Perhaps ArcheAge but I'm really waiting for a certain Star Wars game, that must remain unmentioned here, to get finished. Other than that, the future of MMOs looks a bit grim at the moment I think. Sadly.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by Wikipedia

Burnout is a psychological term for the experience of long-term exhaustion and diminished interest. Research indicates general practitioners have the highest proportion of burnout cases; according to a recent Dutch study in Psychological Reports, no less than 40% of these experienced high levels of burnout. Burnout is not a recognized disorder in the DSM although it is recognized in the ICD-10 and specified as a “State of vital exhaustion” (Z73.0) under "Problems related to life-management difficulty".

seriously. if that applies to gaming for you, you are doing it wrong.

Originally posted by Wikipedia

game is structured playing, usually undertaken for enjoyment

kids nowadays take gaming too serious. i actually still play games for fun. when they are no fun, i play sth else.....

so no. there is no way i will "burnout" on gaming.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

This can't happen. You might find a game that has a lot of similar values, but your original MMO's carry weight in your memory because you were not just playing a game, but discovering a world for the first time. It's like reading or watching all the great books/movies, the first time you read/see them you are in love and want more. But when you keep going only to realize everything else is rehashed and just bits and pieces of older things rearranged into kinda new ways, it's disheartening. That's when the grind becomes more obvious, that's when you realize that you were just playing games, nothing more.

Burnout is normal, everyone goes through it. You don't have to come back, you may never find something you like again. The newness may have been the driving force behind your MMO playing. This is a genre that is finally getting some years behind it. The gaming world is still young compared to most entertainment types, so it's hard to believe that we're still in the infancy stages of MMO's.

Take a break - do whatever, if something calls to you, give it a shot. But you can never go home again. Once you experience something, you now have that experience (that's why it's called experience). Remember those times fondly and don't expect that a game can rekindle something that was internal to you. The game was never special, it was how you experienced it in it's newness to you.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

2nd person perspective is from teh victim...it would be interesting for a bit yah...looking out of the eyes of the person you intend to shoot...hard to navigate though.

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• DesirsarDesirsar Member UncommonPosts: 117

I would settle for almost any game where you log in and go fight stuff or attempt quests...  hard fights and hard quests (preferably unguided)...  and people actually group at low levels.  Where low levels take a day or two of playing to advance ONE level.  Where people are playing the game to play the character and not to reach maximum level as fast as possible.

So I think I'm in the same position of being burned out, but in a different way...  I'm only tired of the current games and recent design paradigms.