Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Asheron's Call 2 : Fallen Kings: RESURRECTION!

Comments

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

humm interesting.. i played on release for a bit i remember it having a decent combat system but i didnt play for long and i cant remember why lol....

Might just check it out again :)

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by ragz45
    Wasn't AC2 shut down because it was seen as inferior to AC1 in many ways?  I never played much of either one, so I'm not really sure what to think about this.

Yes that was one of the reasons. Basically AC 1 is a freeform MMORPG much more into the sandbox area than anything but AC 2 was a much more linear experience and a very different game than AC 1. This resulted in many AC 1 fans, like me, not making the switch to AC 2 and it never gathered enough new players to be viable.

We were promised some sandbox elements, such as rebuilding the world and what not, but that never realised and the most you could do is to use the crafting stations in the cities to craft armor and weapons but you can do that in almost any MMORPG, ThemeParks included.

The leveling is a very linear experience as you go from level bracketted area to level bracketted area and there are also dungeons which needs to be done in a very linear way to be wortwhile. 

More over the magic system was severly dumbed down and the open ended skill system of AC 1 was replaced by some rigid class based system. Essentially this game was one of the very first ThemePark type of games.

From Wikipedia:

"It was a sequel to 1999's Asheron's Call, although content, graphics and gameplay dynamics differ greatly from its predecessor."

The game is NOT a sandbox and nothing like the predecessor. Dont expect to find something like that if you do try it. And with the "success" of LOTRO, I dont think Turbine plans to implement any sandbox elements.

• ArakaneArakane Member UncommonPosts: 204

on a personal level, this is really good news to me. It was so strange back then because when they released the exp. pak for AC2, most of the bugs that had haunted the game, such as global chat  in the beginning, were fixed but the hate was just too strong in some quarters and so it was closed down. Pretty amazing to see its return even though old chars. wont be available,doesnt matter. I am re-subbing, can hardly wait.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    OK I'm playing Dransik to relive my golden days but look what I just read. Might check it out.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• knapuknapu Member Posts: 131
    wow .. my friends i started to play stopped playing :( 

I am the punishment of God...
    If you had not committed great sins,
    God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you
    — Genghis Khan

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

ok found this thread, bought AC1 which I played for 5+yrs but lost account info, started DL.  Finished DL at 8:45 pst

Just logged off its now 3am almost, and I never got out of my chair.

I never played AC2, but this game is captivating, its actually really a complicated game.  Still cant figure out how to use my map to find a survey sight.

I am starting a rumor

AC2 relaunched f2p to judge interest in AC3!!!!!!

• MaggonMaggon Member UncommonPosts: 360
    I bought this game yeears back, I probably still got the box even, but I never used my key D: - so I never got to try it, does that mean my key will work now >_<?
  • AwDiddumsAwDiddums Member UncommonPosts: 416

I used my old box version, couldn't get that to work as the launcher is still tied to the Microsoft data centre, however I used the DL option here and after reactivating my old AC1 account I'm now in the game =).

So good to be playing again, Turbine will make a few quid out of this one no doubt, but AC2 was always a game that alot of ppl still wanted to play.

• RyphtRypht Member UncommonPosts: 39
    Originally posted by TangentPoint

Resubbed myself and back in game! Great to be back!

Been toooooooo long....

Maan, why can't we get fonts like that in modern games? that looks so much nicer .  It's the little things, ya know?

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by Tamanous
    Originally posted by DEATHRAMENT
    Its only 10.00 it cant be worse then the crap that's out now.

You're right!

This is crap from several years ago!

You know what they say:

One mans Crap is another mans Treasure.

good luck to all those giving this a shot because yea contrary to what Tam here says, most games released in the last 6+ years ahve been total crap and it will be nice to see what the games were like back then.

There's also a lot of people who were/are AC1 player who were "offended" that Turbine would "dare" to make an AC2 that wasn't AC1 with better graphics. They raged about it back then. They've raged about it almost any time someone brought up AC2 since, and they're right back at it, raging about it now. For a game that went offline 7 years ago.

And we thought the SWG/NGE people had trouble letting go and moving on?

I'm just hoping this doesn't turn into a case of "Hey, let's see how we can take this more old-school, classic game, with its own style and personality, that developed a following for the things it did differently, rather than for "doing everything the same", and figure out how to squeeze it more into a "modern MMO" that does everything the same" instead".

In other words: As in, I seriously hope Turbine is planning to keep AC2 as AC2 and not intending to give it the "hyper-linear, casual friendly, hand-held everything" overhaul so many MMOs have received over the past several years, or turn it into yet another "quest hub-chasing race to end-game to raid non-stop until you're bored" routine.

I'd like to see them expand more on what the game was supposed to be, what with people rebuilding towns, and such..

What's really great to see is how it looks like the community has just picked up where it left off. People talking, organizing groups for Vault runs... People ask questions and get helpful, respectful answers, not a bunch of ridiculous insults hulred at them for daring to not know. The trolls who have barged in got bored and left after some time. A few who persisted were chased off by GMs who have been quick to jump on any nonsense (specifically use of profanity), issuing ban warnings (for their AC2 and AC1 accounts) if they continued, etc.

After the first couple hours it seemed to settle in and become more reminiscent of the AC2 community I fondly remember :)

• DEATHRAMENTDEATHRAMENT Member UncommonPosts: 701
    can someone tell me how to talk in general chat. Ive only got local atm.
  • Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by DEATHRAMENT
    can someone tell me how to talk in general chat. Ive only got local atm.

Use /cg

They give you some of the chat commands on one of the Training totems when you first start out. The text is kinda small and so it's easy to over look if you're skimming it.. but it's there.

• DEATHRAMENTDEATHRAMENT Member UncommonPosts: 701
    ok thank you.
  • PigEyePigEye Member Posts: 78

Wow, this really sucks...

sucks for you guys =p

I am on leave until the beginning of the year, haha!

And the wife has to work!!!

PigEye McNasty
    DFOUW NA

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435
    im 100% buying this
  • hardiconhardicon Member UncommonPosts: 335

omg.  this is man just mind blowing.  never played ac2 back in the day, was too busy with ac1.  alot of friends played it though and the problems with the game is microsoft pushed it out too early.  from what some friends told me is the game was just before its time. 

but im looking at big picture, is this to get more people interested in the franchise to pave the way for ac3 that has been rumored to be in development.  we know turbine has been working on a unnamed game for a few years now.  either way im gonna resub to ac1 and try this out. 

good job turbine.

• Smarlow2Smarlow2 Member Posts: 21

Well, I was almost suckered into playing WoW again at full throttle, but with this news... forget that.

I never really got a chance to fully play AC2, and now I shall seize that chance. I enjoyed most of my days playing AC1, and while I did try AC2 out for a bit, I seemed to be stuck on AC1 back then. It's been quite a few years, clearly, so I'll definitely be giving it a try.

I'm not sure where Turbine is going with this move; let's hope they don't decide to immediately take it back/within a few months.

• inmysightsinmysights Member UncommonPosts: 441
    HOLY CRAP! It is the Myans working their magic!!

I am so good, I backstabbed your face!

• EraserheadEraserhead Member UncommonPosts: 343
    Unexpected! I wonder if it's coincidental that the recent work on AC2 private servers is coming to a head.

The game was a pve fest which is not really my thing but what I do remember about it was the great world atmosphere.
  • red_cruiserred_cruiser Member UncommonPosts: 486
    Hopefully this leads to Asheron's Call 3, one of the most genuinelly interesting original MMORPG worlds ever created.  As retrograde as this sounds, I wouldn't mind spending the next years of my MMO gaming life in Dereth and Norrath. 
  • BlackraynBlackrayn Member Posts: 142
    For everyone out there that is buying AC1 to play this, and has never played AC1 at some point in time give it a shot. Yes very dated, but if you love massively open and feeedom oriented games it is worth checking out.
    On the other hand major kudos to turbine! I cannot wait to play lugian tac, and tummy berserker again!! Great day this is??
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

I think you guys thinking how awesome this is have forgot what a sub-par game it was and why many of you quit it to begin with...

Dont want to rain in on anyone's parade but I dont think people realise what a sub-par game this was.

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604
    Originally posted by Yamota

I think you guys thinking how awesome this is have forgot what a sub-par game it was and why many of you quit it to begin with...

Dont want to rain in on anyone's parade but I dont think people realise what a sub-par game this was.

I've never played any asherons call game before. I actually bought the first one and subbed just for a chance to try ac2.  Personally, I am actually enjoying it.  One of the first games in a while I actually want to play.  May be sub par, but may also be better than some other offerings today

• BlackraynBlackrayn Member Posts: 142
    Originally posted by Yamota

That is so not true! I was forced to quit with game shut down.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

There were plenty of people running around on the servers last night and that was with no official announcement outside of their forums and a download link that was having problems from so much traffic.

For every naysayer there is probably 10 people who are interested.