Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] The Secret World: The Revenue Model Shift

13»

Comments

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by darkhalf357x

Wow. Never been first :-)   Definitely was a nice surprise to see this morning. I dont think not saying 'F2P' will stop people from calling it F2P (as thats actually what it is).  This is also confirming my belief that publishers are moving to a F2P construct if you will.

What I'm curious about is, that this seemed to be planned (perhaps not a date given) - so what was the justification to go subscriber model first?  Recouping cost would be my thought but wonder what other goals were expected? It starts to set a precendent of why subscribe if you know they will go F2P at one point?

I will say I like the F2P model as it works for and now I will definitely check this title out.  One time fee of 49.99 is peanuts.

it's B2P like GW2, except there are no gambling boxes in tsw

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743
    Why didn't SWTOR follow this route than doing what they did :P.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• BereKinBereKin Member Posts: 287
    Finally!!! It is a very good mmo and funcom shoud have done this from the start, but better ever than never. Maybe now this game will get  attention that it deserves
  • DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    Originally posted by Searias
    Why didn't SWTOR follow this route than doing what they did :P.

IMO, Bioware just fails in general at running an MMO. Not that the game itself is bad, but they're practices - the shoddy F2P system like locking hotbars and such, the limited fireworks for the year anniversary, etc.

• jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598
    I read somewhere else that the sub was $15 a month and you get a 10% discount on all store purchases plus $10 worth of points, in addition to some other minor stuff.  It seems to me that the math just doesn't add up.  If you don't get the sub you could get more points just buying them outright.  If you are going to be giving them your money monthly on a consistent basis you would think they would be giving you considerably more points than buying them piecemeal.  
  • victorbjrvictorbjr Member UncommonPosts: 212
    Originally posted by SBE1
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by SBE1

Notice to Funcom:  You guys totally ripped off people with the launch of AoC saying it would include things that it never did.  You showed countless hours of footage pre-release that never made it into the game.  You continued to tell players about how well the PvP was, when in fact it was broken beyond belief at release.  Seriously, that is why you will never get that many people to ever buy your products because of your history.  

Also. Funcom is a publicly traded company (pink-sheets I know, just $0.23 a share).  For the author to have advance knowledge that this game was changing it's revenue model several days in advance is a potential violation of the SEC's Fair Disclosure Act (Reg FD).  I will be reporting Funcom to the SEC for ths potential violation since it is a material change in the company's prospects, since TSW is the company's major asset.   I'd like to thank the author for admitting he had advance knowledge of this non-public material information, as I hope this finally puts Funcom out of business.

We'll all be waiting to see your success with this *smirk*.

I have reported it to the SEC.  They will take it from here.  I know from my former job that material non-public information, such as how they are going to earn money for thier largest asset, is a violation of Reg FD. 

Hi! Thanks for the comments.

Let me ask you a question.

Did you read the sentence after the first sentence? I said, "I did not get to read any details regarding the revenue shift till perhaps 12 or so hours before this piece went live." 

There is a distinct difference between fair disclosure and withholding an announcement of a game's revenue model shift because you had only been told they were doing something, without knowing what they were doing exactly.

I had this very long write-up explaining how embargoes work, but it doesn't really matter.

The fact that multiple news outlets had interviews and a write-up set right after the announcement means that there's a conspiracy here to keep you in the dark, and we're all part of a global cabal designed to keep you from enjoying the rest of your life.

But really, what does it matter? We're all going to die in 8 or 9 days, depending on the timezone.

More to the point, what does anything matter in the grand scheme of things? We are insignificant in comparison to the lifespan of the universe, and when the universe dies, so will time. All of history, including this spat of yours with Funcom, will cease to exist.

Cheers! :D

A writer and gamer from the Philippines. Loves his mom dearly. :)

Can also be found on http://www.gamesandgeekery.com

Originally posted by jbombard
    I read somewhere else that the sub was $15 a month and you get a 10% discount on all store purchases plus $10 worth of points, in addition to some other minor stuff.  It seems to me that the math just doesn't add up.  If you don't get the sub you could get more points just buying them outright.  If you are going to be giving them your money monthly on a consistent basis you would think they would be giving you considerably more points than buying them piecemeal.  

You also get some in-game items to sweeten the deal, such as an "item of the month" that can be clothes or some such.

It depends on what you value really. Exclusive clothing or other stuff. 

Also the purchase, right now, includes a faction jacket, a weapon, and a blood raven.  It's cool they add in a few goodies.

I've been unable to complete the update due to my day job, but yeah... I'm hoping my account gets some freebies. I wouldn't mind supporting Funcom with enough money to crowdsource an idea for a Power Rangers costume. :D

And thanks for the vote of confidence. :)

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661
    Also the purchase, right now, includes a faction jacket, a weapon, and a blood raven.  It's cool they add in a few goodies.

It's worth pointing out though this is a limited offer and runs until the end of the month. The pet gives you an XP + stats buff that lasts until 3 million XP (ish) then becomes a normal pet.

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173
    And just FYI that Initiate pack cost $50 at launch, so $30 is a GREAT deal through the end of the month.
  • catofmanycatofmany Member UncommonPosts: 30

Definetly buying this.

It wasn't something i was willing to sub for, but i love this model.

An up front fee should hopefully keep the spammers down.

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

FINALLY!  I've been wanting to play TSW but the sub fee was keeping me from it.  (yes I can afford it, but I'm not willing to pay a sub for a game)

Glad they went to the B2P model....my favorite payment method.

Hey!  Santa! .... heh, screw that, I'm not waiting for Santa, he's too damn slow!

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• kingsatanaskingsatanas Member Posts: 31

iwonder what happen to people who pay 240$ for the game the colector edition +1 year sub lol.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    B2P is not F2P, I need that as a one button text command for these forums.