Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

why do people claim this game is best for pvp?

stygianapothstygianapoth Member UncommonPosts: 185

pvp in this game is just a mindless 5 man zerg for 1 of 3 points. it doesn't matter what build or character you have, it matters if you can out number the opposing factions and keep the nodes.

on top of that, there is no progression or accomplishment. gw2 offers no rewards whatsoever for being "good"

i quit after a week when the game came out because of the above points. if there is nothing to accomplish, what is the point of playing? especially when it all boils down to zerging.

Comments

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    This is pvp for the people who wanted to take rating off arena weapons, and for people who felt they were getting beat becasue of gear, aaand people who complained about CC. For them gw2 pvp is a dream come true.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603

Simply becuase this game is best for PvP

Only game with better PvP is Knight Online World and that can be argued.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

What is a "5 man zerg"?

The whole idea of a zerg is that there are many of you.

The answer to your question anyways is because MMO instanced PvP generally sucks big time. GW2s is at least pretty fun even if the maps are limited. If you think all builds work Ill bet you loose a lot.

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678
    Originally posted by stygianapoth

pvp in this game is just a mindless 5 man zerg for 1 of 3 points. it doesn't matter what build or character you have, it matters if you can out number the opposing factions and keep the nodes.

on top of that, there is no progression or accomplishment. gw2 offers no rewards whatsoever for being "good"

i quit after a week when the game came out because of the above points. if there is nothing to accomplish, what is the point of playing? especially when it all boils down to zerging.

5man zerg? :D

i see you didnt played any tPvP and just jumped into sPvP with other randoms

in tPvP there is factor called strategy and coordination

no rewards you say?

you get gems, QP (qualify points) and other stuff like better looking pvp gear

plus a cool looking emote when you type /rank :)

and the pvp is best in gw2 becouse its about the player skill NOT the gear you have

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by saurus123

no rewards you say?

and the pvp is best in gw2 becouse its about the player skill NOT the gear you have

If he means zerging, as staying with your whole team together, they will never win a serious match.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618

So are we calling a 5 man team a zerg now?

seriously?

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Ffa / gvg pvp - eve
    Large scale pvp - planetside 2
    Small scale pvp - still gw1
  • sibs4455sibs4455 Member UncommonPosts: 369

I never purchased GW2 i just didnt like what i saw, but i can tell you that i and many others still have loads of fun pvping in GW1.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

but it does offer you progression... you level up, just like you would level up in PvE (but here you get PvP levels), you get better looking gear to give everyone equal chances when fighting in PvP.

It's ment for those who actually want to get their skills top notched and actually accomplish something based on their skill and not their gear. Simply because getting better and stronger gear doesn't really mean you've got better skills than someone who just started playing PvP on a character which isn't his main PvP class and so on, so forth...

It is really a good and fast paced pvp with strategy involved ofcourse. Since you can't win by zerging the points, as you said.. Unless you have a really good guardian who can hold on to your mid point while you patrol the other 2 (but that again is a form of a strategy if you ask me).

So I'd say this game really does offer the best pvp experience from all the mmorpg games I've recently played (ok EVE got a bit better appeal on my taste but that's kind of a different story since EVE is just beyond comparing in my book).

*note that GW1 isn't MMORPG*

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Depends how one likes their PVP. GW2 is more like a team sport, where the equipment is equal, the "rules"are the same for everyone, player twitch skills are very important, and the consequences for losing, (or rewards for winning for that matter) are relatively minor. Seems many people favor this approach, see LOL. Me personally, I prefer games which more resemble warfare, where you try to enter combat with any advantage you can come up with, where the "rules" are few, where winning at any cost is paramount because the consequences for losing are high, and zerging is a legitimate and in fact extremely wise tactic. (see EVE)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

^This post makes much more sense than OP.

How do you outnumber the opposing faction in a 5 vs. 5?

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541

Let's do this!

Where do people claim this is the best game for PvP? And who are "people"?

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Because "people" have different opinions.  I'm not a big PvP'er but GW2 PvP is ok.  I actually had more fun with WoW's PvP surpisingly enough; surprisingly since it's ridiculously, laughably imbalanced from 1-70 at least.

I'd like GW2 PvP better if I were good at it.  :p

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

That's not exactly corresponding to the general feedback about the game. I read more about aimbots, spawn camping and other exploits....

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Well "best" is subjective here isn't it really. You can say why mechanics should be good or bad, but at the end of the day someone may love it or loathe it regardless of the mechanics and find it "teh bestest evah" even when the systems are inferior.

But in all honesty, even the most ardent pro GW2 posters on this board simply say that it has good combat and pvp, few go off about it having the "best pvp". In fact quite a few of them still maintain that the original is superior and this incarnation requires time to develop to match that level.

Personally I found the pvp to be average at best, but there are plenty of people who love it. If they find it to be the "best" pvp they have experienced, all power to them, it's good they have found a game they like. I'd happily debate mechanics with them, but I can't just come out and say "derp it's not teh bestest, the game I like is teh bestest!".

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• DiSpLiFFDiSpLiFF Member UncommonPosts: 602

I don't think i've heard anyone claim this game is the best for pvp. 

Anyone who does is on crack. Most of the compliments this game gets is the fact that it's B2P, and doesn't have a "gear grind". 

• andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970

no rewards you say?

All you say is true, but the PvP in GW2 is garbage compared to GW1 sadly..

• WoopinWoopin Member UncommonPosts: 1,012
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

That's not exactly corresponding to the general feedback about the game. I read more about aimbots, spawn camping and other exploits....

Instead of reading play it I have 3 days total playtime I have seen 1 aimbotter who was reported. Spawn camping is not that bad you can shoot out of spawn sheilds they can not shoot in. Most exploits have been fixed from beta also.

Like I said you have to play the game to see for yourself. If people get killed by someone they cry OMG AIMBOT. Most people who cry this suck at the game and fire from the hip instead of uisng the gun how they should. SOE have done really good with combatting Aimbots to be honest GMs have been really active. I am one who stays away from games riddled with Aim Botters but to be honest PS2 has been pretty good thus far.

Back on Topic - GW2 has a bit of PvP to cater the large battles or the small battles with WvW and SPvP and even the competative edge of tPvP not many other games have done that.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Gw2 pvp is instanced, and to me that's not good pvp. It's great for casual players though, and that's who Gw2 caters to. We knew that.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    I don't think it is the BEST for PVP but it is pretty good. I logged in more PVP hours in GW2 than i did in any other MMO.
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

a mindless 5 man zerg

If he means zerging, as staying with your whole team together, they will never win a serious match.

As opposed to classic dueling-on-the-road who-cares-about-the-match style?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• zomard100zomard100 Member Posts: 228
    Who said that? It is normal for fans of one game to say it is the best game.  Ask 10 mil wow players what they think about gw2 pvp . Same is on other side, 1-2 mil gw2 players think the same about wow pvp. Who cares what they say, you play what ever you like
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by zomard100
    Who cares what They say, you play what ever you like

Virtually the entire mmo player base. Many of them who come here, seeking affirmation from other players for their choices.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    PvP not based on killing is a problem for me...
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • khartokhar3khartokhar3 Member UncommonPosts: 486
    Originally posted by PaRoXiTiC

Simply becuase this game is best for PvP

Only game with better PvP is Knight Online World and that can be argued.

awww i miss those days in ko...best rvr and pvp i ever seen in mmos

to op: lolwut!? image