Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Asheron's Call 2 : Fallen Kings: RESURRECTION!

Comments

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    Originally posted by xevanon
    I would love to play but no damn paypal payment...sign

im pretty sure they take paypal.

• LabotomizerLabotomizer Member Posts: 1

For everyone who keeps commenting on the "buggy, exploit filled mess", please remember the game changed substantially from the 2002 launch to the close of the game.  In particular the Hero levels, 50+, and then the expansion pack.  I think, from a class perspective, it's closer to a sandbox because there is no hard level cap.  Sure you can get to a point of limited returns, somewhere in the mid to high 80s if I remember correctly, but that doesn't mean you can't continue to improve your character.

This game really evolved.  The reason you have bad memories is you're one of the people who played at launch, which was admittedly terribly, and then didn't come back.  Understandable for sure.  But don't think they launched this as it was in 2002.  This is the game with the Legions expansion.  It's a pretty amazing game, with the deepest and most customizable skill system of any MMO I've ever played.

• DEATHRAMENTDEATHRAMENT Member UncommonPosts: 701
    Originally posted by DrunkWolf
    Originally posted by xevanon
    I would love to play but no damn paypal payment...sign

im pretty sure they take paypal.

ya they do i just payed with paypal a little while ago.

• Musket-SquidMusket-Squid Member UncommonPosts: 386

I read, and actually hava lil tear in my eyes. so exicted. can ditch everything else now

How many delicate flowers have you met in Counterstrike?

I got a case of beer and a chainsaw waiting for me at home after work.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Tamanous
    Originally posted by DEATHRAMENT
    Its only 10.00 it cant be worse then the crap that's out now.

You're right!

This is crap from several years ago!

You know what they say:

One mans Crap is another mans Treasure.

good luck to all those giving this a shot because yea contrary to what Tam here says, most games released in the last 6+ years ahve been total crap and it will be nice to see what the games were like back then.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Originally posted by Labotomizer

For everyone who keeps commenting on the "buggy, exploit filled mess", please remember the game changed substantially from the 2002 launch to the close of the game.  In particular the Hero levels, 50+, and then the expansion pack.  I think, from a class perspective, it's closer to a sandbox because there is no hard level cap.  Sure you can get to a point of limited returns, somewhere in the mid to high 80s if I remember correctly, but that doesn't mean you can't continue to improve your character.

This game really evolved.  The reason you have bad memories is you're one of the people who played at launch, which was admittedly terribly, and then didn't come back.  Understandable for sure.  But don't think they launched this as it was in 2002.  This is the game with the Legions expansion.  It's a pretty amazing game, with the deepest and most customizable skill system of any MMO I've ever played.

this 100%

Contrary to anyones percieved definitions AC1 and AC2 were and are true sandbox games.

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

i am very happy because i've heard such things about the game but have never played it.  i'll wait til "release" though.

but but but!!!!!

the real thing to see here is.....

... if this succeeds and makes turbine some easy dough.....

(everyone cross yer fingers now)

....maybe the next game to ressurect will be E&B????

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

Just logged out after a couple hours of play, really great game... still just as fun and when they turned the lights off (and I was having a shitload of fun then!)

I can't wait to dig in more!

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768

Hey glad to hear this is back! 

Having said that, I am not too excited about it.  I remember playing the 2 week trial just before it went down.   I had some fun for 2 weeks but I guess it was the lack of players and the somewhat empty world that kept me from subscribing.  And obviously many others also, as it went down soon after I tried it.  And that was back when free trials were just starting to become a new thing LOL.  I think I tried EVE around the same time.

Playing Fallen Earth right now and I think that game offers pretty much the same game experience as AC2 so no need for a new game.   I think many here are looking at this with those proverbial rose coloured glasses, as a few have said.  Yes it is fondly remembered by some but if you are expecting some awesome, earth shattering, old school gaming experience, I think you will likely be disappointed. 

I'd be interested to hear what people think after a month or so.   Good game but it isn't going to change the way you look at MMO's in the future.  Enjoy it for what it is and the nostalgia.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• QuicksandQuicksand Member UncommonPosts: 683

136+ replies so I hope this has not been answered already but...

If you had an AC2 account when it launched can you log in now or is it only current AC1 players??

Thanks

www.90and9.net
    www.prophecymma.com

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Originally posted by ChaulsinNL
    Originally posted by bliss14
    So basically you have to download and install AC1, subscribe to it, then dl AC2 and use your AC1 user/pass to play AC2.  Ok, I'm down with that.  Thanks!

No need to install Ac1. Just buy it for 9,99$ and set up your account. You get 30 days of play with your purchase. Worth it I think! :)

Maybe this explains it.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

Originally posted by Quicksand

136+ replies so I hope this has not been answered already but...

If you had an AC2 account when it launched can you log in now or is it only current AC1 players??

Thanks

No only AC1 accounts.

Took me less then 30 mins to get in game.  Buy a copy of AC1 from Turbine and you can get into this AC2 server as a bonus.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Cna anyone who has tried this yet confirm that it's all working properly? Can you play it properly? No messing about with accounts or trying to log in and what not? Just install, sub with an AC1 account and play?
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • SpectralHunterSpectralHunter Member UncommonPosts: 455
    I can confirm that if you buy AC1 you can immediately get into the AC2 beta server.
  • kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012
    did they do this just for kicks or is there a team working on AC2 again?
  • SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697
    Originally posted by Vannor
    Cna anyone who has tried this yet confirm that it's all working properly? Can you play it properly? No messing about with accounts or trying to log in and what not? Just install, sub with an AC1 account and play?

I just played all night after work and leveled up to 13 and had no issues.

Installed fine, logged in fine, never had an issue in my play outside of almost running out of time on my edge beetle kill task because there were so many people out running around killing edge beetles.

Originally posted by SpectralHunter
    I can confirm that if you buy AC1 you can immediately get into the AC2 beta server.

thanks, is the game in just about the same state it was when it was shut down? expansion included?

• ZorlacZorlac Member Posts: 101

HELLYEAH!!! I remember skipping work the day this was released haha!

The graphics blew away everything on the market at the time. I still remember diving into water, playing music with other players, questing (when it was fresh and new), crafting, etc. I will definitely try this out again!  :)

Thank you Turbine! Totally shocked!!

Advice to anyone checking this out, stick to a lower resolution. I have it at 720p. If you go higher it tends to look worse and all the UI elements are too small... especially the map.
  • KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

The Wikipedia entry for AC2 has changed. I remember reading about this game from waaaay back and what I got from the wiki summary was that the game was bad and the fans of AC1 were sorely disappointed by how un AC like the game was.

AC2 was shut down in 2005 because it failed to achieve enough subscribers to be viable. Let's see if this time it will get the opposite result, after the rose-colored glass effect wore off for the fans. Afterall, MMORPGs change over time(for better or worse).

• miguksarammiguksaram Member UncommonPosts: 835
    I literally found my old discs for this game while cleaning house deciding what to throw in storage, lol.  Holy crap this was seriously one of my first MMO loves.  This might possible be the best Xmas gift I've received in a number of years, just WOW TURBINE!
  • Tiqabar45Tiqabar45 Member UncommonPosts: 17
    As a veteran MMO player who beta tested both Asheron's Call and Asheron's Call 2, this re-release of Asheron's Call 2 is leagues ahead of the time it launched.  The rubber banding issue is pretty much gone with the only real issue I have is character movement/combat movement isn't AS fluid as it is in other MMOs including AC1, but they fixed almost all of the exploits when it came to breaking combat, IE you can't bug monsters out on the landscape.  In the original instance, you were able to climb a rock and pick monsters out that were 10-20 levels above you.  Took a lot of time, but the experience rewards were worth it.  This is still a sandbox MMO, vendors are around, but rebuilding the world, immersing yourself in the deep lore, and the excitement for those who never got the opportunity to play this game.  I've been waiting for YEARS for this to come back and I'm tipping my glass to Turbine for finally unearthing this gem and bringing it back to the world.  Asheron's Call 1 and 2 were truly innovative in their time and set the bar very high for the MMO world.  Can't wait to slay some Olthoi again.  Jump in everyone and enjoy the sweet sensation of a true classic.
  • slickerac2slickerac2 Member UncommonPosts: 12

Now I don't care if world ends in 21-12 , I am Gona die happy , Ac2 IS BACK

thank you TURBINE, thank you

• munkenmunken Member CommonPosts: 5
    Just sucks that old ac2 players, cant get in with there old product key. Not gonna buy a 14 year old game to play this, but if old ac2 subs would get access, i would be there in a split second. Loved this game :-)
  • AndraxxAndraxx Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Originally posted by Vannor
    Originally posted by SpectralHunter

thanks, is the game in just about the same state it was when it was shut down? expansion included?

Yes, it includes Legions, so it has the npc consignment vendors, crafting 2.0, empyrean and drudge races on top of human, tumerok and lugian.

It looks surprisingly good for a 10 year old game, but it was pretty cutting edge in 2002.

Plenty of people playing it just now too - mostly vets, but quite a few who never tried it the first go-round.