Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Decided to pass on Darkfall: UW

Comments

• stuxstux Member Posts: 462
    Originally posted by Siveria

Meh, game will prob die in 3 months or so, mostly due to the player corpse looting, I bet you if they made a server with a slightly diff ruleset, namely the no player corpse looting, it'd be the most full server they got, i got a ton of friends that would play DF:UW if the player corpse looting on any death part was removed, or if it offered a server with that rule removed. Besides, passing on darkfall UW your not missing much at all, other than the annoyed and frustration of asshats ganking you while yer fighting a monster, or griefers camping low lv area's on a high skilled char just to be a jerk. Its not that people are scared to lose items (As i understand it items were easy to replace in the orignal darkfall) But its more the fact that everytime they die they are going to have to waste time out of their playtime to run around town like a moron to replace gear, just to go back out and probally get ganked again and have to repeat the process. IMO you should only have a *chance* for stuff in inventory to be dropped, and equipped gear cannot be looted period.

I mean think about it: would you rather the game die in a few months? or would you rather it live? with the current ruleset in todays mmorpg market I doubt the game will last long. The so called "hardcore" pvp crowd is so tiny that its not enough to support a game and make it profitable. Removing one rule, will piss off a few of the so called hardcore people (however most of these hardcore people are the types who kill low lvs and run like a chicken from anyone who could fight back). But in return they will get alot more subs, alot more revenue, and the game will life a bit longer. But I'll be honest I don't expect any mmo released recently to last more than 6 months before having to go f2p or die. People are just getting tired of the subscription model, when most of the time they can find the same kind fo gameplay or even better gameplay out there somewhere for free.

No Thank you.

I haven't seen or played any FTP worth a damn.  I think the standards of the FTP crowd are pretty low glossed over by thier epic cheapness.

Die in three months lol.  I played for three years and the server was still going fine when they shut it down.

• YojimboBimboYojimboBimbo Member Posts: 162
    Why is there always some nimrod who comes around asking about pve df ruleset. FFS, there are nothing but pve mmo games on the market! Go play one of them and leave us be.
  • GoozinGoozin Member UncommonPosts: 60
    Originally posted by ice-vortex
    I was basically determined to purchase Darkfall: UW, but now with the monthly fee reveal of $15, I have decided against it. An MMORPG just isn't worth almost twice the price of Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu Plus, Xbox Live, and Playstation Plus. At Darkfall's price point, I could subscribe to Gamefly or Blockbuster and have an unlimited supply of new games to play. With other sandbox games like the Repopulation, which is free to play, coming out, I just don't see a reason to subscribe to Darkfall at the price point the developer has set.

sorry its actually 14.95 stupid troll!

"Outside the dream world, life can be harsh--even cruel, but it is life"

• ironhelixironhelix Member Posts: 448

GOOD. One less child that I will have to play with.

If $15 is too much money for you to spend on a game, then you don't like games, or you are poor. Either way, I don't want to play with you.

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386

Meh, game will prob die in 3 months or so, mostly due to the player corpse looting, I bet you if they made a server with a slightly diff ruleset, namely the no player corpse looting, it'd be the most full server they got, i got a ton of friends that would play DF:UW if the player corpse looting on any death part was removed, or if it offered a server with that rule removed. Besides, passing on darkfall UW your not missing much at all, other than the annoyed and frustration of asshats ganking you while yer fighting a monster, or griefers camping low lv area's on a high skilled char just to be a jerk. Its not that people are scared to lose items (As i understand it items were easy to replace in the orignal darkfall) But its more the fact that everytime they die they are going to have to waste time out of their playtime to run around town like a moron to replace gear, just to go back out and probally get ganked again and have to repeat the process. IMO you should only have a *chance* for stuff in inventory to be dropped, and equipped gear cannot be looted period.

I mean think about it: would you rather the game die in a few months? or would you rather it live? with the current ruleset in todays mmorpg market I doubt the game will last long. The so called "hardcore" pvp crowd is so tiny that its not enough to support a game and make it profitable. Removing one rule, will piss off a few of the so called hardcore people (however most of these hardcore people are the types who kill low lvs and run like a chicken from anyone who could fight back). But in return they will get alot more subs, alot more revenue, and the game will life a bit longer. But I'll be honest I don't expect any mmo released recently to last more than 6 months before having to go f2p or die. People are just getting tired of the subscription model, when most of the time they can find the same kind fo gameplay or even better gameplay out there somewhere for free.

Lasted from 2009 to present with that ruleset.

You want a no risk game go play any of the other game out there.  This game is different.

• CrydexCrydex Member CommonPosts: 23
    Originally posted by ironhelix

GOOD. One less child that I will have to play with.

If $15 is too much money for you to spend on a game, then you don't like games, or you are poor. Either way, I don't want to play with you.

Sir,

Your argument is very compelling.  Do you have a newsletter I can subscribe to?

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    I'm not sure I've decided to pass on it yet, but I generally don't enjoy many P2P games these days regardless of their payment model, and Darkfall: UW just looks even less impressive than the usual.

Stick to GW2.  If you managed to stay there this long without boredom or lack of excitement this game wont be for you.  Completely different breed of game.

Also anyone who has to hesitate at spending $15 probably shouldnt be gaming anyway.  Time should be spent getting yourself out of poverty....which doesnt occur behind a gaming rig for hours a day.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

$15 a month is perfectly fine entertainment investment if you enjoy the game but for potentially hundreds of thousands of others (like me) who want to know what we're getting into and may not like it, a subscription is a horrible way to grow your game.  Subscriptions are not only a dieing breed but they are becoming even more niche intodays ever growing Triple A titles with F2P options.

Sad news, a week ago I would of given this game a fair shot but aint no way in hell am I giving money away for something I may potentially not enjoy.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    Originally posted by Crydex

The monthly subscription price of $15.00 dollars a month is ridiculous.  It is also ridiculous that $15.00 has somehow become an accepted standard.  Small studios need to realize their respective places and not emulate the price points of major studios such as Blizzard, CCP, or Trion.  For those people who enjoy throwing money away please PM me and  I'll shoot you over my PayPal details.

ccp started just as small as av O_O what was the orginal price point?

Originally posted by azzamasin

$15 a month is perfectly fine entertainment investment if you enjoy the game but for potentially hundreds of thousands of others (like me) who want to know what we're getting into and may not like it, a subscription is a horrible way to grow your game.  Subscriptions are not only a dieing breed but they are becoming even more niche intodays ever growing Triple A titles with F2P options.

Sad news, a week ago I would of given this game a fair shot but aint no way in hell am I giving money away for something I may potentially not enjoy.

except on ftp games you will spend more than 15 a month trust me unless you just play it free and dont have excess to everything theres a reason why companys are going ftp its ussly means more money. Plus we all said it was goign to be 15 amonth agian no one said shit EVeryone one of oyu always has to qwq about something. wait until gmapelay vids come out to see if youll enjoy it

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118
    Originally posted by BrooksTech

Yeah I agree... $0.50 a day isn't worth unlimited entertainment...

Some people...

It's not unlimited entertainment.....It's very limited to only what the game provides.  1 type of story, a set number of characters, etc. etc.

The other subscriptions the OP listed are a much better price for less limitations on entertainment.

Some people....

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

Originally posted by Crunchy222

Lasted from 2009 to present with that ruleset.

You want a no risk game go play any of the other game out there.  This game is different.

actully they profit with less than 100k subs easly if they get more cool. but they also mainstream dfuw a bit so it should hold a bit more players than the orginal one. df1 was pretty flawed tho

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118
    I'm not sure I've decided to pass on it yet, but I generally don't enjoy many P2P games these days regardless of their payment model, and Darkfall: UW just looks even less impressive than the usual.

Stick to GW2.  If you managed to stay there this long without boredom or lack of excitement this game wont be for you.  Completely different breed of game.

Also anyone who has to hesitate at spending $15 probably shouldnt be gaming anyway.  Time should be spent getting yourself out of poverty....which doesnt occur behind a gaming rig for hours a day.

What a silly assumption.  Many of the people on this site who don't want to pay a sub fee for a game rarely state the inability to pay it as a reason.  Most of the reasons they state are that the game isn't worth it in their opinion, or that it makes devs lazy, or they believe (rightly so) that a game company doesn't need that money to be profitable.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• GiveMe5GiveMe5 Member Posts: 38
    Originally posted by azzamasin

The fact is that todays trend is that Triple A titles have the same worth as 2009`s F2P.

Its marketing and economics at its best...games are geting dumber, easyer and easyer to produce and still getting profits...

The current market formula "cheap, dumb games=$$$$". 

• karmathkarmath Member UncommonPosts: 904

I seriously cannot comprehend why people are in a total hurr fit over a $15 sub fee. That price has not changed in over a decade, name one form of entertainment that hasnt seen a price increase since the late 90's/early 00's.

It really speaks to the age and maturity of people who carry on about such non issues.

• patrikd23patrikd23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,155
    Yeah I will pass also on this.
  • ZyzraZyzra Member Posts: 354

The people who think $15 dollars is way too much to spend on a month of entertainment remind me of Mr. Burns!

"One dollar for eternal happiness?  I'd be happier with the dollar."

A movie in my area at a theatre costs around 10 dollars.  It lasts 2, maybe 3 hours at most.

I could use netflix but OMG IT HAS SUB FEE which of course means its not a good value.

I could eat at a restaurant and pay money, or I could sift through their dumpster in the back for a free meal.  HEY ITS FREE MUST BE DAMN BETTER THAN ONE THAT HAS A COST!!!!

• HotjazzHotjazz Member UncommonPosts: 742
    Originally posted by stux

Paying for some things aren't worth it to some and are to others.  Maybe I should make a post about how I feel Darkfall is worth $15/mo and we can discuss that.

Well,

Darkfall is a rare gem amongst the myriads of wow clones, so that`s one reason.

Getting killed in Darkfall accually mean something.

Players have an impact on the world.

It is a mmorpg, not a single player game with other players.

Darkfall is scary, and some of us like that.

I`m sure others will find different reasons on why Darkfall is worth 15$. I`m going to buy three accounts, so I think Darkfall is worth 45$ a month.

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

Hey guys let overhype our Darkfall: Unholy Wars,

Lets spam the mmorpg top voted games again, so we could be awesome. 

We all know anyone that give any negative opinion about our beloved Darkfall: Unholy Wars

are poor uneducated PVE carebear underage kids who cannot afford $15 a month.

Tell them to go and $#%#, show everyone that we have the best community in an MMO.

/sigh this is my perceptions that I get from reading all the DF players post in this forums.

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• virindi1virindi1 Member UncommonPosts: 80
    I was basically determined to purchase Darkfall: UW, but now with the monthly fee reveal of $15, I have decided against it. An MMORPG just isn't worth almost twice the price of Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu Plus, Xbox Live, and Playstation Plus. At Darkfall's price point, I could subscribe to Gamefly or Blockbuster and have an unlimited supply of new games to play. With other sandbox games like the Repopulation, which is free to play, coming out, I just don't see a reason to subscribe to Darkfall at the price point the developer has set.

Grow up you baby, get a job and stop sucking on daddy's tit. $15/month is nothing.

• marcustmarcust Member UncommonPosts: 495

I have absolutely no problem with taking a sandwich to work twice a month to cover my Darkfall cost.

Hell, I will even feel the warm glow of knowing I'm helping support a basketcase economy.

If you cant afford to pay for this then I hope your financial situation changes soon.

Playing: Darkfall New Dawn (and planning to play Fallout 76)
    Favourite games have included: UO, Lineage2, Darkfall, Lotro, Baldur's Gate, SSX, FF7 and yes the original Wizardry on an Apple IIe

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by Asm0deus
    Originally posted by Zyzra
    Originally posted by Pivotelite

Damn .50C per day sure is a lot to ask for hours of entertainment per day eh...

I'd rather go get a large pizza and eat that in a few hours for $15 than play 100-200 hours worth of a video game.

WOW!!  Darkfall only costs HALF A CENT per day?  That's dirt cheap!!!

Haha not when many games now cost 0.00 cents a day to play !!!

But most f2p games are crap. and if they are good you usually end up spending more in their cash shops anyway..

For me sub is the way forward, hopefulyl we will see the end of shit f2p games nad cash shops soon..

• SysFailSysFail Member Posts: 375

UW is going to be offering a much more secure introduction to the game than the original. NPC towns are now non fighting area's, in the original many clans and players were griefed in NPC towns, which forced many to quit before they got of the ground, so that aspect has been removed.

There is to be area's where low end monster spawns will be in area's protected by NPC guard towers, so new players won't have to worry about being killed before they've had time to adjust to the game.

Players jumping you while fighting mob spawns with higher rewards, this will happen and happen a lot, it's part of the design for mob spawns to be fought over, higher level mobs should be fought over and this won't change.

This is where team work comes in to play, groups will use a scout to keep an eye out for enemies, allowing them to prepare for a fight, or they may flight, darkfall has always been about situational awareness and the "how much do i farm before banking" philoshophy.

Remember Darkfall is mean't to be an extreme experience that makes a player think about situations, rather than the farm in peace way of the 1001 MMO's out there and it wasn't easy to replace items, this is why players made seige bags with their best items, because it took a lot of time gathering mats for high end equipment.

You're biggest failing though is trying to place DF in the same mold as the 1001 MMO's that are the same but with a different skin, which is wrong and we know, the devs know, everyone knows that this type of game is a niche.

The devs aren't stupid, they aren't expecting blizzard type income, they are more interested in making a game they want to play rather than a game that they think can milk players of their hard earned money ala blizz, EA, SOE etc etc.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Originally posted by karmath

I seriously cannot comprehend why people are in a total hurr fit over a $15 sub fee. That price has not changed in over a decade, name one form of entertainment that hasnt seen a price increase since the late 90's/early 00's.

It really speaks to the age and maturity of people who carry on about such non issues.

Originally posted by virindi1

Grow up you baby, get a job and stop sucking on daddy's tit. $15/month is nothing.

Tell me more, karmath.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

[mod edit]

Nah, I'll stick to games that are worth the money to ME, and Darkfall: UW doesn't look like it's going to be.