Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Award] General: 2012 Players' Choice Awards

Comments

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Originally posted by ArachniaDragon
    Once again, for the comprehension impaired, GW2's innovation is mostly about improving on all these fantastic features and presenting them in a highly polished package.

Please don't confuse our disagreement with what you said with lack of comprehension. We understand what you said- some of us just don't agree with it.

GW2's highly-polished package?

GW2's dialog screens are so amateurishly scripted and voiced (on about a 3rd-Grade level) as to be ludicrous... not to mention the amateurish, static background "art" of dialog screens. Compare that with TSW's astonishingly well-written, creepy-comedic and excellently voice-acted cinematic dialogs. There's simply no comparison.

The story line of TSW is absorbing, innovative and consistently well implemented throughout the entire game... as opposed to GW2's very simplistic and disjointed "story" progression.

GW2's artwork and animations are cartoony and sophomoric, in great contrast to TSW's excellent and semi-realistic art style and excecution. There truly is no comparison.

I understand. All of what you said is based on personal taste, so arguing about the things that you prefer over the things I prefer in say, animation, is futile. It's important to know however that none of those things relate to polish on the context of my pevious post. The way GW2 looks, from dialogue screens to animations are a design choice, and they're done with care to details. The animation, while they don't work to your liking, has way more frames and sets than most other MMOs. The characters don't simply "slide" across the terrain while playing a "run" animation. 

The polish I was talking about comes from the feeling that all the features, while most were taken from other games who pioneered the idea, were not simply meshed together and served to the players. They were personalized in order to work together effectively. I'll give an example:

Rift events in RIFT are the peg of the game, but in some instances they are seen as annoyances. I don't know how they improved on this now but back then Rifts can become hindrances for questing players in low pop areas. They were seen as hindrances to those doing quests who wanted to get to level cap, and they want to cap fast because the game followed the WoW endgame model. Players also weren't given reasons to go back to lower levels, further contributing to the problem. All in all Rifts ended up clashing with the other aspects of the game. Again, this was back then.

Now, disregarding the fact that GW2 DE and RIFT Rifts weren't a clone of each other (they were developed in parallel), GW2's implementation is more polished (but not perfect) because:

1.) Doing DEs is the main levelling activity. The hearts are just side activities.

2.) DEs award not only EXP, but gold and karma, inviting everyone to participate, even if you've done it before.

3.) While in your low level zone, It is more likely to find (scaled down)higher level players in this game than in Rift, because rewards are scaled. Also Karma points remain relevant regardless of level.

4.) Even if you can't find anyone to help you with "Group events", there are still tons of soloable events running around

• cingizcingiz Member Posts: 1

hey guys can somewhone say when the game wildstar will be out to play?

• worldalphaworldalpha Member Posts: 403
    What no WorldAlpha for most anticipated!  Oh well, maybe next year!

Thanks,
    Mike
    Working on Social Strategy MMORTS (now Launched!) http://www.worldalpha.com

• DiverGirlDiverGirl Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Best of luck KingsIsle with Pirate 101.  My family loves your games, Pirate 101 and Wizard 101,  I truly hope you win every catagory you are nominated! 
  • MitaraMitara Member UncommonPosts: 755
    The problem with this kind of voting is that it isnt objective, people vote for the game they are currntely playing, or the name that they just happen to have seen uberhyped. This makes the votes completely irrelevant, at least the way that they are put without reasoning.
  • ArduArdu Member CommonPosts: 55

Guild Wars 2 is by far one of the best MMOs. Affordable game that anyone can enjoy, no overcharged MMOs such as KingsIsle's Pirate101.

GW2 has sweet graphics, awesome storyline, music, and great holiday events.

No one can beat that!

• Dantae87Dantae87 Member Posts: 166
    Originally posted by ezpz77

I can't wait for the total shitstorm that ensues when GW2 sweeps every category that it's in.

Prediction: "This website has lost all credibility."

didnt u hear? this site is PRO GW2! According to the ppl on here its the ONLY game of 2012

• DancingQueenDancingQueen Member Posts: 201
    Originally posted by Shroom_Mage

Originally posted by DancingQueen
    To be innovative you have to be the first with a new thing and not years late with something old.

But that's wrong.

Nope, you can't invent the wheel twice.

• DancingQueenDancingQueen Member Posts: 201
    Originally posted by hyperion529
    Originally posted by hyperion529
    So to sum up. TSW is winning most innovative game of the year, and no one has any actual reasons why its not. Thanks for playing!

It's a consolation price for making their third failed MMO in a row in eleven (?) years time.

Funcom is quite the failure. They have 5 offices across two continents, support hundreds if not thousands of jobs, and have 5-6 online titles (idk for sure) that probably several hundred thousand people play per day.

If all companies failed like that, no company woucl ever go out of business.  

Don't bother pointing out they had layoffs, Trion just had layoffs, Blizzard had layoffs this year as well (HUGE FAILURE those two), in fact, I can't think of a relevant game company that hasn't downsized a bit this year.

I'm no funcom fanboy, I was burned by AoC too. But I love TSW and it deserves to be recognized for executing new ideas and advancing the MMO genre signifigantly.

Like I said before, DancingTroll, all your assumptions are true, there is no reason for you to try the game out.  Have a wonderful life.

You have no clue what you are talking about, three online games, one office in Canada, thats it.

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

well a game doesnt have to be the best game of all times to be the best game of the year ... ^^

but anyway GW2 for sure has problems buts its the best executed MMOgame the last years for my points of view which include gameplay, graphics, story (ok there is meh)

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    Originally posted by Zzad

Guild Wars 2 GOTY !!!

Best MMORPG i´ve played in years! So much detail & love put into it!

and this is just the begining....it´s growing faster than Rift did!

yes EVERY detail in GW2 is put in the right place and seeing that GW1 servers are still open,,

that should give a clue about their long term planning,,GW2 FTW

Originally posted by gaeanprayer
    Originally posted by atticusbc

Is that "legal" ?? That´s buying votes....

That game doen´t deserve the GOTY award...not even the third position...LAME!

well they do have an official post encouraging people to vote for pirate101, but they don't seem to be offering rewards. i'm pretty sure this is still against the rules though. MMORPG.com needs to get on this. (i, for one, would be mightily disheartened to see pirate101 win those two slots just because their devs told their players to vote. that game deserves neither of those awards).

Well....all games encourage their gamers to vote on this kind of awards.... i don´t see a problem with that really....

If they offer a reward for voting...that´s buying votes...very different in my point of view....

Anyhow...i don´t even understand how it got nominated in the first place! XD

If it wins GOTY or Most innovative over GW2 & TSW.... i´ll just LOL !!!!!

That is indeed common, and something even GW2 does though perhaps not with this award. I've seen them do it with some of the gaming magazine ones though. Is it wrong? Depends on how you look at it. There's nothing inherently wrong with increasing the awareness of your fans that a contest involving your game is going on. On the other hand, it can potentially skew the results based purely on a bunch of new accounts being made to spam the poll versus the actual community the poll is aimed at.

*shrug* in the end, does any of it really mean a damn? Is who wins going to make your game of choice a better one, even if it was the one that won? Nawp.

here is how it works: the winning game will use the winners badge in advertising

since this is determined by actual players, it does have more value than most analysts

the new wave of players will generate a snowball efect ,and investors will hear about this

investors will put more money in game, which will again expand even more

Originally posted by Dantae87
    Originally posted by ezpz77

I can't wait for the total shitstorm that ensues when GW2 sweeps every category that it's in.

Prediction: "This website has lost all credibility."

didnt u hear? this site is PRO GW2! According to the ppl on here its the ONLY game of 2012

no,,but its clearly the best one TERA was meh,,SWTOR even worse,,just let people vote

with their hearts,,thats whats driving us to play these games anyway

yes i would be glad if "my" games win,,but i wont stop playing them , if they dont

even STO launch didnt drive me away from that

• FoxstabFoxstab Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by Kuppa
    I'm actually amaized Star Citizen is so high and Pandaria has 0!

No one likes the stale, repetitive, entropying World of Warcraft.

Star Citizen has a committed, active, fan base.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Shroom_Mage

To be innovative you have to be the first with a new thing and not years late with something old.

But that's wrong.

Nope, you can't invent the wheel twice.

But you can innovate the wheel, by using it for transportation instead of its first use as a potter's wheel, by making it in wood instead of stone to be lighter, by adding a metal coating to resist longer, by having spokes instead of being a single solid chunk, etc.

Innovation and invention are two different words with different meanings.

Innovation doesn't mean improvement either (evolution doesn't mean improvement either).

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• Johnnyboy224Johnnyboy224 Member Posts: 8

No, no one is buying votes, the Wizard101/Pirate101 community loves kingsisle and will continue to vote, our community is very powerful and will dominate this for them. We dont need rewards, the reward is playing the great games they create.

Before you knock on these games, how about you try them first.

Most of you expect Guild of wars to win, and I cant wait till Pirate101 wins instead. ;)

• HeavyDuty4HeavyDuty4 Member UncommonPosts: 4

`

It will be interesting to see where Pirate 101 places with the campaign they have going on and the numerous glitches it possesses that may sway even it's most loyal away from it.

`

• WhitebeardsWhitebeards Member Posts: 778
    Star Citizen and Secre World all the way for me.
  • KamatariPLKamatariPL Member UncommonPosts: 7

Wait, wait, wait. WTF?

SW:TOR is a game from 2011. Changing payment models made it qualify for two years in a row? Next, World of Tanks. This thing is from 2010.

(The same would go for TERA but it was avaible only in asia so who cares.)

Other than that - pretty nice. First time i see a player awards voting on any site that would not be obviously bought out. (you know, usually only voting options is stuff that should never even get a nomination so crappy stuff gets titles. This time we get to actually choose the best from the good stuff )

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Rayshe
    I've stated in many a post that GW2 is not that innovative. I guess im just gonna put it down to their Fanbase wanting it to win as much as possible instead of having it actually be judged on its innovation.

No trinity, free mob tagging / contribution, dynamic event chains.

All of that is more innovative than anything we have seen in this genre since EQ1.  Whether you like it or not is irrelevant, nothing else on that list was innovative at all. Especially not TSW, even though I enjoy that game.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by evilastro
    I've stated in many a post that GW2 is not that innovative. I guess im just gonna put it down to their Fanbase wanting it to win as much as possible instead of having it actually be judged on its innovation.

All of that is more innovative than anything we have seen in this genre since EQ1.  Whether you like it or not is irrelevant, nothing else on that list was innovative at all. Especially not TSW, even though I enjoy that game.

Let's face it, putting the innovative tag on anything recently is an exercise in frustration.  Everything you talk about has been done before in another MMO, maybe these games do more of it or do it in a different way, but it definitiely is not innovative according to the definition of the word.  So having an innovative category is basically a farce.

• livespartanlivespartan Member Posts: 71
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Originally posted by evilastro

Let's face it, putting the innovative tag on anything recently is an exercise in frustration.  Everything you talk about has been done before in another MMO, maybe these games do more of it or do it in a different way, but it definitiely is not innovative according to the definition of the word.  So having an innovative category is basically a farce.

To Innovate means to introduce something new; make changes in anything established.

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915

How the hell is Pirate 101 (with only 18 threads) winning over everything else? All those other games easily have anywhere from 400 threads upwards to 8900. The game doesn't even have enough votes under the hype meter.

Something is going on. I think pirates took over MMORPG.com if you catch my drift.

Not only that, the response count to the other games have anywhere from tens of thousands upwards to 300000 posts. Pirates barely broke over 100.

• SwordguySwordguy Member Posts: 5

gw2 was innovative?  just a popularity contest, nothing more.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

GOTY, I voted for Mists of Pandaria.  Please don't hurt me *runs from the lynching mob* I know what everyone says, "It's the same old stuff".  I actually like doing the dailies now, since they tell a story.  Raiding is actually fun, no more sitting in one spot, button mashing.  Even as a tank, you have to move around and put your opponents in good spots for your team to attack.  Then there's the pet battles, which I love.  They're also planning on expanding greatly on it, woot.  There isn't a single thing I don't like about Mists of Pandaria.  Blizzard followed my model.  If it works, stick with it until it doesn't work.  They changed up a few things, but over all it is the same, but that's what I love about it.

Close second for GOTY would be Rift,  I play this game a little less than I do WoW right now, but the new stuff is fun fun fun.

I understand why GW2 is number 1, but it's not even on my radar.  I played the game, and I have no want to ever return.  I don't understand how it's the Most Innovative either.  People must not know what Innovation is.  WoW's pet system is more innovative than anything GW2 has done.