Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Introductions!?

Hi Everyone!

I am currently awaiting for the rerelease of this game, and I am hoping to play it as soon as it comes out. I'm an old veteran from Final Fantasy XI, and quit approximately 6 years ago for my studies. I have also had not played Final Fantasy XIV, and I am hoping the revamp version will make up in the areas that made it so unsuccessful in the first place.

I thought I would be personal and introduce myself to this growing community, and perhaps tell me a bit about your previous online gaming experience, or even the original Final Fantast XIV experience. I haven't touched an online game for awhile, and the last I have was would be F2P ones.

A little about myself:

I'm currently in the middle of my studies at University, and I've been playing video games in between it. I play the final fantasy series, shin megami tensei series (particularly Persona), Tales series, Star ocean series, and a lot of other RPGs mainly. I'm trying to get into more Western RPGs rather than limit myself to JRPGs. I also have a lot of the gaming system available to me, and when Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn releases I plan to purchase the PS3 copy of it.

Hope to hear from others on this website, and I welcome any information you wish to share.

-SEQ

Comments

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

Hiya,

I still have hope for this game. 

However it will be nothing like the epic FFXI.

Harbinger of Fools
  • SoulEaterQUEENSoulEaterQUEEN Member Posts: 4
    I truly miss those days, but perhaps we can make it fun when the game comes out!
  • zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

Hi, welcome to the forums. I never got into FFXI, but I wish I did so I could judge how much of it is influences ARR. FFXIV 1.0 was the worst mmo I've ever played but also the most interesting, as you could glimpse some unique ideas there. Thankfully I you can appreciate them a whole lot more now; (I have to be vague about ARR for reasons you can guess).

The hard part is convincing people to give it a chance, you can't blame them, but close minded attitudes irritate me anyway.

It will be interesting to see how the PS3 version runs and what the UI is like, I played the PC version of XIV, and one of the reasons it was so painful was that the UI was for the console, and felt so counter intuitive even with a controller.

If you want to know anything about what you missed with XIV 1.0 (lucky you), I've been known to rant during my trauma induced flash-backs, but recently what disturbs me more is the people who try to defend it. ARR has a difficult task, to make up for 1.0, to convince a general audience to try it, and not alienate those who don’t want it to be to WoW (mainstream) and who want either XIV 1.0 or FFXI features included. So far I think Yoshida has done the best he can, but some 1.0 fans will not be satisfied as their tastes cannot be catered to without losing absolutely everyone else.

I hope you like ARR as I do, but it will be up to your tastes, and whether you appreciate the odd fix of modern western mmo and FF elements.

• SoulEaterQUEENSoulEaterQUEEN Member Posts: 4

Thanks for the reply!

I'm assuming that you were selected as a beta tester for the Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, for that is why you can't tell me too much on your impression ot this game?

Yes I definitely very curious for how much different it is from 1.0. I have friends who have tried to play it only because there was a lack of subscription fee during that period but they couldn't bear the game at all. I just hope ARR will be a more enjoyable experience than the F2P MMOs I have been playing lately.

It will be the first time I play an MMORPG on the console so I too am curious how it will be different than the PC version; I have only laptop uses and I reserve that for my studies only now, and no longer own a computer. I will be sure to write my first impression on here when it releases.

Originally posted by SoulEaterQUEEN

I'm assuming that you were selected as a beta tester for the Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, for that is why you can't tell me too much on your impression ot this game?

Worse, alpha, I had to sign the NDA in the blood of infant goats, and if I break it (too much) Yoshida will make me eat a Moogle. However I have read every letter from the producer, and offical info on ARR, and there isnt much in the Alpha that isnt already released. So I can answer most questions you may have.

Yes I definitely very curious for how much different it is from 1.0.

In a nut shell, it fixes every single problem 1.0 had, but has to compromise in order to reach a broader audience by using elements from WoW style mmos, however they are there just for new players to get into the game more easily, as 1.0 was very bad at explaining its overly complicated UI and gameplay mechanics. This wasn't an EVE style sandbox, there was no reason for it to be that way.  Most of the 1.0 leves, armory and other systems from FFXI such as the exp chaining mean you can skip all but the most essential story quests if WoW style hubs really bug you. They are not over done anyway as they arn't as needed given that you dont get all the exp from quests.

I have friends who have tried to play it only because there was a lack of subscription fee during that period but they couldn't bear the game at all.

Yes, I struggled and gave it ever chance, but when all the parts fail to work right and on top of that your PC crashes with it, (and never anything else) you just have to quit, oddly enough it worked fine during the last few days of the shut down event.

I just hope ARR will be a more enjoyable experience than the F2P MMOs I have been playing lately.

What ones have you been playing?

It will be the first time I play an MMORPG on the console so I too am curious how it will be different than the PC version;

So far mmos such as DCUO that are made for console have been a pain for PC gamers as the UI and combat controls are often built for the console first, and only slightly altered for those of us that refuse to give up the keyboard and mouse. (1.0 had more issues with mouse use than you could imagine) ARR uses completely different UI systems for both, but we haven’t seen anything of the console version yet. I suspect one the of reasons Tanaka was kicked of the project was due to the engine he made not being able to scale down to the RAM limitations of the PS3. The new engine has PS3 in mind, it should be fine, still, I’d see about getting a nice new rig, there are far more really nice mmos coming for PC in the next few years.

I have only laptop uses and I reserve that for my studies only now, and no longer own a computer. I will be sure to write my first impression on here when it releases.

Whats your degree in?

The combat will be controversial though, in 1.0 it was slow and counter intuitive, it felt jarring as it was more turn based but within a real time game, without a switch to a different screen, which I think would have helped. It had some strategic advantages, but was always going to be niche, and most mmo players wouldn’t like it at first, so would never get to the more interesting combos and party mechanics. On paper I can appreciate it had reasons for being the way it was, but it lacked immersion and visceral satisfaction, as I think good combat should have if you are going to combat-grind. At early lvls and as a solo character turn based is not for those that want to enjoy themselves from the start. Even early 8 - 16 bit Square RPGs didn’t try your patience like that, so it’s not about new players not having the right attitude. 

The combat now it more like WoW, (shock horror!) however that is just another way of saying it is fluid, more real time and uses a global cool down (rather a slow one though) many parts of the old system are still there, but the animation pauses, camera and character lock and other things that prevented you from just going up to a mob and hitting it have been removed or toned down. I wish combat could be either all action or all strategy myself, but either extreme looses too many, we will have to see how the combat develops at higher lvls, fingers crossed.

You will hear some defences of various 1.0 features, but you had so many awkward components, from UI, to controls, to quest and world layout, to NPC interactions/indicators, to the map, the subtitled cut scenes, the bad server code and engine, the fact that the servers where all in Japan, the language issues and lack of link shell features, (to name just a few issues) an unreasonable amount of perseverance was needed, and it is elitist and inconsiderate for those that where unreasonably patient to expect to get their way. Yes there where some good ideas deep in there, but it is better that as many as can be salvaged be put into a new framework that allows more than a minority to experience them. Some things will be lost, but Yoshida’s decisions have a logic too them, and you can’t expect a major developer to run a expensive AAA mmo for a small group who are the extreme end of the bell curve of mmo tastes.

I would recomend watching every episode of this series, it sums up what people had to go through at launch, and most of the problems here where never fixed, (they couldnt be with the old system).

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865
    I just finished playing through FF 12, the game play was great, the story was alright, the game didn't quite know who the main character was. My favorite is FF X and I will be checking out FF14, If it looks good I will play it.
  • DomotoDomoto Member UncommonPosts: 82

Hey there, welcome to the forums,

I myself have high hoped for ARR (not unrealistic I am going to lose my mind if I end up not likeing it mind you), but high hopes and excitement. I played a...decent amount of 11, but never enough to actually be a part of that community. I purchased 14 a little while ago and due to my system not liking the game (even though I had more than the reccomended specs) I ended up not puttign that much time into it.

I have however been following ARR for quite some time and am very excited from what I have seen so far. I have stated this in other threads, but I still think Yoshida being the lead and the new team is the best decision they could have made for the game. The simple fact that not only is Yoshida an MMO vet but has a love of the FF series, I think we are in good hands.

Now we just have to patiently wait to get in on the fun :D

From what I have seen so far, the console version should be more than playable, UI a has a little less on it, but from the brief period I played the original 14, I could tell it was more designed to be played with a controller.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361

FFXIV will be played "fine" with ps3 controller, the problem lies in the hotbars with skills , if its implemented like in FFXI wont be a problem at all

the FFXIV 2.0 version looks amazing

the new revamped zones  <--- the new team has done an oustanding work

the new battle system <---- still undecided but better than 1.0 for sure.

the new UI is gorgeus.

a quest based leveling experience , still having options to exp in groups .

dungeons (even SE will add a finder to group ppl with )

the F.A.T.E system (like Public quests that pop around) 

the revamp of classes (SE will introduce more, for now will add summoner)

and crafting will be more intuitive and simple

+more

check some of the 2.0 videos , keep in mind is in alpha stage

cant wait to revisit old zones !

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121
    Originally posted by Skuall

FFXIV will be played "fine" with ps3 controller, the problem lies in the hotbars with skills , if its implemented like in FFXI wont be a problem at all

We've already seen the PS3 hotbar UI from one of the alpha screens released a few months back. Instead of a hotbar they actually have the d-pad and face buttons mapped, presumably with L1 and R1 allowing alt functions for each. I think it's a pretty solid concept.

I played XI for a few years and loved the game to bits. I mained a SMN for a while then eventually got hooked on PUP (I'm a pet-class addict) so I was ecstatic to hear summoner would finally be returning. To be honest that feature alone was enough to make me commit to giving the rerelease a proper go, everything else they're doing is just icing.

I'm quite confident that ARR will be a very good MMO now, though it undoubtedly won't appeal to a lot of gamers, just like XI didn't.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361
    Originally posted by Alberel
    Originally posted by Skuall

We've already seen the PS3 hotbar UI from one of the alpha screens released a few months back. Instead of a hotbar they actually have the d-pad and face buttons mapped, presumably with L1 and R1 allowing alt functions for each. I think it's a pretty solid concept.

I played XI for a few years and loved the game to bits. I mained a SMN for a while then eventually got hooked on PUP (I'm a pet-class addict) so I was ecstatic to hear summoner would finally be returning. To be honest that feature alone was enough to make me commit to giving the rerelease a proper go, everything else they're doing is just icing.

I'm quite confident that ARR will be a very good MMO now, though it undoubtedly won't appeal to a lot of gamers, just like XI didn't.

so FFXIV will be played kinda like ffxi is played on ps2/xbox , and lot of ppl used controller on pc too

another pet class addict! /highfive

and yeah with smn coming im already sold :D, carbuncle included ^^

• DzoneDzone Member UncommonPosts: 371

Hi there, i used to play ffxi every day for several years when it came out, really enjoyed that game. Really exited about the release of ffXIV ARR. Im hoping alot of the gamers are gona be coming from ffxi. If they do, should have alot of ppl wanting to group together in this game. If we stand together we can turn ARR community back into ffxi's community ^^.

I hope they make this game have solo content and group content from level 1, to endgame. That way we can choose if we want to pt or not. Have fingers crossed for that. I used to love being a whm in ffxi, played it for years, loved supporting and keeping ppl alive during tough times. Hopefully ARR will have a whm role like ffxi's i can be again :) Oh there near the end of my ffxi career i was playing a bard, really loved that to, actually could run around constently and playing music, really had fun with that.

In the meantime while i wait for ARR to launch, i may be trying out TSW, heh hope i dont get to hooked on that and not go back to ARR, we'll see :P, but someone at work meantioned it to me, and wants to play on the same server as me, pretty cool, never actually played a MMO with someone i new in RL.

Originally posted by Dzone

Hi there, i used to play ffxi every day for several years when it came out, really enjoyed that game. Really exited about the release of ffXIV ARR. Im hoping alot of the gamers are gona be coming from ffxi. If they do, should have alot of ppl wanting to group together in this game. If we stand together we can turn ARR community back into ffxi's community ^^.

I hope they make this game have solo content and group content from level 1, to endgame. That way we can choose if we want to pt or not. Have fingers crossed for that. I used to love being a whm in ffxi, played it for years, loved supporting and keeping ppl alive during tough times. Hopefully ARR will have a whm role like ffxi's i can be again :) Oh there near the end of my ffxi career i was playing a bard, really loved that to, actually could run around constently and playing music, really had fun with that.

There is a lot of introduction quests from lvl 1 to 10, as XIV 1.0 was notorious for lacking explanations, but you can exp chain grind in groups when you want. Classes like conjurer are terrible solo and much more fun to always play supporting others. There is a bard class in ARR.

• EnsiferEnsifer Member UncommonPosts: 49

Instanced Housing System (3 sizes, small, medium, large. Medium and Large cost high amounts of gil.) – Need to read more on this. Comprehensive Info.

PVP (this will be contained to two main areas; one for small-medium scale encounters and other for much larger, objective based encounters.)

Rebalanced/new class abilities and traits.

• Version 1 had 8 zones. Version 2 will have over 40 AT LAUNCH.

I'm sold.

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    Originally posted by SoulEaterQUEEN

Hi Everyone!

I am currently awaiting for the rerelease of this game, and I am hoping to play it as soon as it comes out. I'm an old veteran from Final Fantasy XI, and quit approximately 6 years ago for my studies. I have also had not played Final Fantasy XIV, and I am hoping the revamp version will make up in the areas that made it so unsuccessful in the first place.

I thought I would be personal and introduce myself to this growing community, and perhaps tell me a bit about your previous online gaming experience, or even the original Final Fantast XIV experience. I haven't touched an online game for awhile, and the last I have was would be F2P ones.

A little about myself:

I'm currently in the middle of my studies at University, and I've been playing video games in between it. I play the final fantasy series, shin megami tensei series (particularly Persona), Tales series, Star ocean series, and a lot of other RPGs mainly. I'm trying to get into more Western RPGs rather than limit myself to JRPGs. I also have a lot of the gaming system available to me, and when Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn releases I plan to purchase the PS3 copy of it.

Hope to hear from others on this website, and I welcome any information you wish to share.

-SEQ

Hi.  I started playing Everquest after the anime series .Hack //SIGN inspired me to check it out. I played it for a few months and had fun. Since I was a little boy I liked Final Fantasy so when I heard about FFXI I was psyched. FFXI was epic. I played regularly until the ToAU expansion was released. When FFXIV 1.0 was released I played it for a couple months and stopped. A year and a half later I tried it again. It was a giant button spamming and plaing detch fest. ARR is a lot better than 1.0 is virtually every way, but it's still a "modern MMO." Don't expect anything epic. You can expect all races to be equal in every respect, to run back and forth from point A to point B for a NPC many times, to be spamming buttons, to be in instances a lot, no death penalty, and to be pretty much done with the game in a few months.