Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Poll: Does voice acting make the game better?

124»

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon santa clara, CAPosts: 22,441Member
    Originally posted by Thorbrand
    If we gamers wanted to play games with cuts scenes all over the place Dragon's Lair would have been more successful in the 90s than it was.

Not cut scenes voice over.

Mass Effects have tons of voice overs .. very successful. So does Dead Space .. there are a thousand games with full voice overs and very successful.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon santa clara, CAPosts: 22,441Member
    Originally posted by Axehandle

That's the biggest problem. It's so sad to see the disconnect between the developers and the fans. Who in their right mind could ever think the masses want nothing but talking and choice wheels?

And yet Mass effects series sold millions. You are sure the masses don't want talking and choice wheels?

• AxehandleAxehandle Florida, FLPosts: 147Member
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by Axehandle

That's the biggest problem. It's so sad to see the disconnect between the developers and the fans. Who in their right mind could ever think the masses want nothing but talking and choice wheels?

And yet Mass effects series sold millions. You are sure the masses don't want talking and choice wheels?

I've never played the mass effect mmo you will have to tell us all how it is.   

• TheocritusTheocritus Gary, INPosts: 3,747Member Uncommon
        Tha problem with voice acting and cutscenes is that we become spectators......I prefer to play instead of watching a movie or listening to someone else talk......
  • redcappredcapp brook, NYPosts: 722Member

No.  I actually find it exceedingly annoying.  if I care about your shitty story, I'll read it.  i don't need horrible acting thrown in my face as well.

Of course, if I really want to read a good story, I'll pick up a book.  MMO's should be something else.

Edit:  Also I find that it hurts immersion.  I'm trying to play a game here, not watch a movie, not read a book.

• pezitpezit StockholmPosts: 63Member Common

Only in a very linear story and with good voice acting and script, SW:TOR and TSW both have good dialogue while guild wars 2 is terrible in that regard, the writing is just awful.

The pros of not having voiced dialogue is that you can write much more dialogue with more options for less $. Haven't been done in any MMORPG as far as i know, old single player RPG's does this while new ones tend to go for the voiced linear style.

• tupodawg999tupodawg999 LondonPosts: 724Member Uncommon

Great in TSW, completely sucked in Oblivion, swtor somewhere in between.

I'd say it's best for those moments with the most potential to be atmospheric (hence why it works well with TSW) or dramatic e.g. if your character had a quest where there was a clear choice which changed how the rest of the game played e.g. choosing light side or dark side and that choice flagging which quests you got from then on).

On the other hand it can make stupid filler quests feel even more stupid e.g. you're level 1 and a level 10 npc sends you off to fight some level 1 bugs in the next room that he says are too tough for his heavily armed higher level military unit.

"Lore" voice-acted cut-scenes might be cool as well activatable at landmarks etc.

There's also the problem of not liking *your* character's voice.

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Posts: 1,179Member Uncommon
    voice acting broke my spacebar in tortanic.
  • Eir_SEir_S Argyle, NYPosts: 4,623Member

I voted Yes.  For my example, I'm going to use GW2.  Now I really enjoy the game, but if there was anything that prevented it from scoring higher than an 8.5 for me, it would be the voices.  They were really hit or miss, some were interesting and amusing, but most that I've heard are kind of passable and unremarkable.. and even then, some of them are repeated in combat and you get to hear the bad ones all the time as a result.

I do NOT think a game has to have long, drawn-out cutscenes like SWTOR or TSW to have good implimentation of voice acting however.  A happy medium would be fine for me.

• ArclanArclan Chicago, ILPosts: 1,494Member Uncommon

voted that voice acting is terrible. Looks like half hate it and half like it.. just like Obama.

Voice acting makes sense in cut scenes only; makes no sense when a player is interacting with an npc.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

124»