Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Decided to pass on Darkfall: UW

ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
I was basically determined to purchase Darkfall: UW, but now with the monthly fee reveal of $15, I have decided against it. An MMORPG just isn't worth almost twice the price of Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu Plus, Xbox Live, and Playstation Plus. At Darkfall's price point, I could subscribe to Gamefly or Blockbuster and have an unlimited supply of new games to play. With other sandbox games like the Repopulation, which is free to play, coming out, I just don't see a reason to subscribe to Darkfall at the price point the developer has set.

Comments

• Sytek_88Sytek_88 Member UncommonPosts: 23
    15$ a month is fine to me i can blow 15$ on something that might last me a day hell even an hour or less without thinking twice about it
  • jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    1.0 had a $15 sub fee; why wouldn't 2.0?
  • BrooksTechBrooksTech Member Posts: 163

Yeah I agree... $0.50 a day isn't worth unlimited entertainment...

Some people...

• wormedwormed Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Originally posted by ice-vortex
    I was basically determined to purchase Darkfall: UW, but now with the monthly fee reveal of $15, I have decided against it. An MMORPG just isn't worth almost twice the price of Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu Plus, Xbox Live, and Playstation Plus. At Darkfall's price point, I could subscribe to Gamefly or Blockbuster and have an unlimited supply of new games to play. With other sandbox games like the Repopulation, which is free to play, coming out, I just don't see a reason to subscribe to Darkfall at the price point the developer has set.

We care.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    The repopulation isn't going to be F2P if you want to do anything meaninful in it. Its going to be freeiumum. If you want to have a clan, own land, be in a clan, create your own factions, etc etc you better be willing to pay. Sorry to burst your bubble. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• 123443211234123443211234 Member UncommonPosts: 244
    Originally posted by ice-vortex

too bad even that quantity of things put together still do not equal the fun and excitement Darkfall would have brought you

• GravebladeGraveblade Member UncommonPosts: 547
    I think you are forgetting the fact that, even more so in a sandbox mmorpg compared to a themepark, development will continue as people are subscribed and the company needs money to keep the wheel spinning. It is like this for any mmorpg and different mmorpg's work better with different models. The price is actually fine in my opinion and perfectly comparable to other mmorpg's pricing plans.
    Started playing mmorpg's in 1996 and have been hooked ever since. It began with Kingdom of Drakkar, Ultima Online, Everquest, DAoC, WoW...
  • PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Damn .50C per day sure is a lot to ask for hours of entertainment per day eh...

I'd rather go get a large pizza and eat that in a few hours for $15 than play 100-200 hours worth of a video game.

• CallidorCallidor Member Posts: 371
    Originally posted by RDBeast
    I think you are forgetting the fact that, even more so in a sandbox mmorpg compared to a themepark, development will continue as people are subscribed and the company needs money to keep the wheel spinning. It is like this for any mmorpg and different mmorpg's work better with different models. The price is actually fine in my opinion and perfectly comparable to other mmorpg's pricing plans.

If that approach were in fact the end all to player retention, DFO would have been a lot more popular. From my time on the forums it seemed most people were unhappy with how few problems Aventurine fixed over time.

Im praying they dont botch this too. I want a real pvp sandbox game this time around, not just a bunch of hollow promises wrapped in 1990s graphics.

• ZyzraZyzra Member Posts: 354
    Originally posted by Pivotelite

I'd rather go get a large pizza and eat that in a few hours for $15 than play 100-200 hours worth of a video game.

WOW!!  Darkfall only costs HALF A CENT per day?  That's dirt cheap!!!

Originally posted by Zyzra

Cheapest around.

Cheapest around.

I know.  I mean a year's subscription is under two bucks according to you.  Awesome to hear.

• GravebladeGraveblade Member UncommonPosts: 547
    Originally posted by Callidor
    Originally posted by RDBeast

If that approach were in fact the end all to player retention, DFO would have been a lot more popular. From my time on the forums it seemed most people were unhappy with how few problems Aventurine fixed over time.

Im praying they dont botch this too. I want a real pvp sandbox game this time around, not just a bunch of hollow promises wrapped in 1990s graphics.

Well it seems to me that the money they have made and any other money injected into development has resulted in them actually overhauling and re-releasing the game to give the playerbase a new and improved experience instead of giving the older playerbase minor patch's every now and then.

Started playing mmorpg's in 1996 and have been hooked ever since. It began with Kingdom of Drakkar, Ultima Online, Everquest, DAoC, WoW...

Cheapest around.

I know.  I mean a year's subscription is under two bucks according to you.  Awesome to hear.

I know, don't know how they make any money though, but idc, it's awesome!

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    its 50 cents a day op its not that exspensive
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404

Haha not when many games now cost 0.00 cents a day to play !!!

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• UzikUzik Member UncommonPosts: 281
    IMO it should be $50 a month to keep teenagers and poor crybabies out of the game.

(Uzik ibnYaraq in game. Always willing to help.)
    http://www.youtube.com/user/UzikAlJhamin

Originally posted by Uzik
    IMO it should be $50 a month to keep teenagers and poor crybabies out of the game.

But that is their target audience.

Even if subscription was free, they'd probably not have many subscribers :(

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Meh, game will prob die in 3 months or so, mostly due to the player corpse looting, I bet you if they made a server with a slightly diff ruleset, namely the no player corpse looting, it'd be the most full server they got, i got a ton of friends that would play DF:UW if the player corpse looting on any death part was removed, or if it offered a server with that rule removed. Besides, passing on darkfall UW your not missing much at all, other than the annoyed and frustration of asshats ganking you while yer fighting a monster, or griefers camping low lv area's on a high skilled char just to be a jerk. Its not that people are scared to lose items (As i understand it items were easy to replace in the orignal darkfall) But its more the fact that everytime they die they are going to have to waste time out of their playtime to run around town like a moron to replace gear, just to go back out and probally get ganked again and have to repeat the process. IMO you should only have a *chance* for stuff in inventory to be dropped, and equipped gear cannot be looted period.

I mean think about it: would you rather the game die in a few months? or would you rather it live? with the current ruleset in todays mmorpg market I doubt the game will last long. The so called "hardcore" pvp crowd is so tiny that its not enough to support a game and make it profitable. Removing one rule, will piss off a few of the so called hardcore people (however most of these hardcore people are the types who kill low lvs and run like a chicken from anyone who could fight back). But in return they will get alot more subs, alot more revenue, and the game will life a bit longer. But I'll be honest I don't expect any mmo released recently to last more than 6 months before having to go f2p or die. People are just getting tired of the subscription model, when most of the time they can find the same kind fo gameplay or even better gameplay out there somewhere for free.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699
    You will not be missed... Korea called... they have 4000 f2p MMO's for you to enjoy in place of Darkfall

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

• CrydexCrydex Member CommonPosts: 23

The monthly subscription price of $15.00 dollars a month is ridiculous.  It is also ridiculous that $15.00 has somehow become an accepted standard.  Small studios need to realize their respective places and not emulate the price points of major studios such as Blizzard, CCP, or Trion.  For those people who enjoy throwing money away please PM me and  I'll shoot you over my PayPal details.

• Sytek_88Sytek_88 Member UncommonPosts: 23
    its cool hold onto that 15 might need it to buy a neat shirt in a F2P title
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    I'm not sure I've decided to pass on it yet, but I generally don't enjoy many P2P games these days regardless of their payment model, and Darkfall: UW just looks even less impressive than the usual.
  • wormedwormed Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Originally posted by Crydex

The monthly subscription price of $15.00 dollars a month is ridiculous.  It is also ridiculous that $15.00 has somehow become an accepted standard.  Small studios need to realize their respective places and not emulate the price points of major studios such as Blizzard, CCP, or Trion.  For those people who enjoy throwing money away please PM me and  I'll shoot you over my PayPal details.

Enjoy WoW, Eve and Rift. For the rest of us, see you guys in Agon!

• stuxstux Member Posts: 462

LOL.

You wouldn't like golf hehe.

Paying for some things aren't worth it to some and are to others.  Maybe I should make a post about how I feel Darkfall is worth $15/mo and we can discuss that.

BTW, I and many others that played the first game do not want or like the FTP models.  It just doesn't work in game of this type.