Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Asheron's Call 2 : Fallen Kings: RESURRECTION!

Comments

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by Brenics
    Originally posted by ragz45
    Wasn't AC2 shut down because it was seen as inferior to AC1 in many ways?  I never played much of either one, so I'm not really sure what to think about this.

AC2 was tanking, hardly anyone was playing or paying. Turbine was in a money crunch back then so they had to let it go. Biggest complaint was rubber banding during game play. Hope they fixed it which I bet they did.  

Yep.

It was actually one of the earliest examples of a MMO wtih a rough/rocky launch never being able to fully recover.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Ramonski7

No freakin way!!! I beta'd this game and it was harsh! Harsh in a good way that is. As some stated in the thread AC2 was pretty much a sandbox.

There were NO cities

There were NO NPCs

There were NO vendors

You only had a forge where players would craft things. When enough players started crafting near the forge and basicly sacrificing materials into the forge new buildings would appear. Forges were spread out all over the world which was seamless as far as I can remember. I also remember portals being near forges so players could teleport to other player ran cities to see how well other players were coming along.

If you think for one minute this was some WoW precursor you're dead wrong. AC2 was a sandbox with graphics on steriods (at least at that time). Players from AC1 never jumped aboard because it was so freakin hard to start up a town. When you entered the world you started with limited equipment and a barren landscape. And a lot of players didn't like starting from absolutely nothing. I enjoyed the hell out of it though.

That actually sounds pretty awesome as an idea, must say.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

No freakin way!!! I beta'd this game and it was harsh! Harsh in a good way that is. As some stated in the thread AC2 was pretty much a sandbox.There were NO citiesThere were NO NPCsThere were NO vendorsYou only had a forge where players would craft things. When enough players started crafting near the forge and basicly sacrificing materials into the forge new buildings would appear. Forges were spread out all over the world which was seamless as far as I can remember. I also remember portals being near forges so players could teleport to other player ran cities to see how well other players were coming along. If you think for one minute this was some WoW precursor you're dead wrong. AC2 was a sandbox with graphics on steriods (at least at that time). Players from AC1 never jumped aboard because it was so freakin hard to start up a town. When you entered the world you started with limited equipment and a barren landscape. And a lot of players didn't like starting from absolutely nothing. I enjoyed the hell out of it though.

Ok now you've convinced me. I must try this. It looks to be worth $9.99 to give it a shot.
  • hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604
    wait so is this the asherons call 2? the one that was shut down way back when???
  • Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by hockeyplayr
    wait so is this the asherons call 2? the one that was shut down way back when???

That's the one!

Originally posted by TangentPoint

That's the one!

I am so buying the original asherons call now.. lol

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

Yup that harsh, buggy monster that was in before it's time.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

Yup that harsh, buggy monster that was in before it's time.

I was waiting for darkfall but I'd rather throw my money toward this probably buggy mess :D too bad the site is down for maitenance

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    can someone please clarify..is this the game with nothing in it..i,e no npc's etc
  • sevitothsevitoth Member UncommonPosts: 375

Never thought in a million years we would ever see this game again.

Guess I'm buying an AC1 subscription now....

Currently Playing: DAOC Uthgard

Previously Played: UO, DAOC, Shadowbane, AC2, SWG, Horizons, COX, WOW, EQ2, LOTRO, AOC, WAR, Vanguard, Rift, SWTOR, ESO, GW2.

• sevitothsevitoth Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Originally posted by kevjards
    can someone please clarify..is this the game with nothing in it..i,e no npc's etc

Yes.

Currently Playing: DAOC Uthgard

Previously Played: UO, DAOC, Shadowbane, AC2, SWG, Horizons, COX, WOW, EQ2, LOTRO, AOC, WAR, Vanguard, Rift, SWTOR, ESO, GW2.

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701

guess its time to fire up the old AC1 acount to try this game out. i never got to try it i was to wraped up in AC1 back in the day. and hell if i dont like it i will just play AC1 again!

• AndraxxAndraxx Member UncommonPosts: 256

This is the best news I've read in literally years. I will so re-sub to AC1 to get access to AC2 again. Kudos to Turbine for bringing back one of my favourite MMOs. :)

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    Is the lore and races in AC2 like it was in AC1?  or is it dwarfs elves and all the same old over used races ?
  • KhebelnKhebeln Member UncommonPosts: 794
    OMG OMG OMG Its back !

(Retired)- Anarchy Online/Ultima Online/DAoC/Horizonsz/EQ2/SWG/AC1&2/L2/SoR/WoW/TMO/Requiem/Atlantica Online/Manibogi/Rift+(SL)/Lol/Hon/SWTOR/Wakfu/Champions Online/GW/Lotr/CO/TcoS/Tabula Rasa/Meridian 59/Vanguard/Shadowbane/Fury/SotW/Dreamlords/HGL/RoM/DDO/FFXI/Aoc/Eve/Warhammer Online/Gw2/TSW/Tera/Defiance/STO/AoW/DE/Firefall/Darkfall/Neverwinter/PS2/ESO/FF14/Archeage/Gw2

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Did everyone just go brain dead?   Don't you all remember why this game died?  It was full of exploit holes you could drop a truck through. There were no NPC's, no cities, no anything.   Remember how the developers asked you to be a "pioneer"?  Remember that?  Unless Turbine goes in and fixes the exploits and adds some actual soul to the game - it'll be the same mess it was when it launched back in 2002.  
  • AndraxxAndraxx Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Originally posted by DrunkWolf
    Is the lore and races in AC2 like it was in AC1?  or is it dwarfs elves and all the same old over used races ?

It's the AC1 races, but it takes place after a cataclysm, so there are a few changes. The playable races are humans, tumeroks lugians, drudges and empyreans. The map is a post-apocalypse Dereth, with a few familiar landmarks. The mob races will also be somewhat familiar, with shreth, drudges, armoredillos, banderlings, sclavis, etc, and a few that were not in AC1. The main hub city is Cragstone.

Be advised this game has defined classes, by race. Six classes each for human, tumerok and lugian, 3 empyrean and 1 drudge. The graphics, while a bit dated now, are light years beyond AC1.

There are very few NPCs, or possibly none if they are starting from the beginning again, but I'll wager they go with what there was when it closed in 2005, which did have NPCs as questgivers in many locations, as well as NPC consignment vendors.

• zekeofevzekeofev Member UncommonPosts: 240

I am making a tumerok hive keeper (you attack with swarms of bees) so fast.....

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Originally posted by Aviggin
    Oh man... I almost wanna do it. I might do it. Nah, I won't, at least not yet. I gotta see it in action via videos and such first. I know someone has got to post a video sometime.

Yeah, that's what I'm waiting on.  Been fooled too many times with these supposedly great "old" games to take the bait right now.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Teala
    Did everyone just go brain dead?   Don't you all remember why this game died?  It was full of exploit holes you could drop a truck through. There were no NPC's, no cities, no anything.   Remember how the developers asked you to be a "pioneer"?  Remember that?  Unless Turbine goes in and fixes the exploits and adds some actual soul to the game - it'll be the same mess it was when it launched back in 2002.  

The reason it died waspoor timing.  This was still the heyday of AC1 and DAoC was just begining.  At the time aklmost no one liked sandbox features and people were clamoring for more structure in their MMO.  All those reasons you list are exactly the sort of things gamers are looking for now.

I'll be in game tonight because I was 1 of the unlucky ones to never try AC2, but thankfully that as changed.  Renewed my AC1 sub already and something tells me Turbine just made a shit load of $$$$ today.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    Originally posted by azzamasin

The reason it died waspoor timing.

Really? 

I feel like I'm in bizarroworld right now.  I WAS THERE WHEN THIS GAME WAS STILL LIVE.  For crapsake, if you think the howling about SWTOR as a letdown was bad, it was no comparison to AC2. 

AC2 wasn't a sandbox.  It was just an empty box.  No sand, no nothing.

• DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372

I dunno, my non-braindead logic center tells me that if they're opening what was previously a "release" game onto a "beta server" in a "beta state" they plan to fix and change the game.. which probably also means those exploits and broken things you are talking about.

The corpse is fresh out of the ground.  At least give them some time to pretty up before you hack it apart.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • RazperilRazperil Member Posts: 289
    This is really awesome! I had a lot of fun in this game and I can not wait to have fun again. Turbine has done a really great thing here.