Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FF11 or Rift, which should I get?

SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419
I am asking advice on which I should get, I know rift is bascally a wow clone but I have never played it, for FF11 I have all expansions and add-on's up to the 3 abbysea ones. I am debating between opening my FF11 account or paying 10 bucks on steam and buying rift. Help me decide.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

Comments

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    None of the above?
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I'd give tsw a try now its b2p, the dungeons are really good, best I've played

But of those 2 rift
  • RafanestRafanest Member Posts: 13
    I am playing Rift and is awesome. Sadly cant compare with FFXI
  • ezpz77ezpz77 Member Posts: 227
    Play Rift while you wait for XIV ARR. I'm an old XI vet and recently went back for about a month and couldn't stand playing the game. If you're anything like me, you'll waste at least a month of your life just screwing around with Rift's player housing.
  • aWRAYaWRAY Member Posts: 84

Rift is definitely a solid game for what it is. I suggest you try out Rift Lite first before you make a purchase though. I would hate for you to shell out the cash only to find out the game isn't for you.

I haven't played FF11, so i can't comment on that.

Cheers!

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Right now i think you would be better off giving The Secret World a go. The game has gone B2P since yeasterday and really is a good game IMO, especially if you haven't played it before.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419
    Does the base game of rift have the housing because I was just getting the base for now which is 9.99, and get the expansion later if I like it. I bought tsw with a 20 buck off coupon around when it came out, didn't care for the game much at all tbh. 3 factions but they all shoveled down the exact same quests, not even faction specific area's cept one, and I just thought that was the stupidest shit I have seen in a game where the factions are a major part of it, That and for what I played the combat was just button mashing without even looking. You don't make a game with factions if there is no meaningful pvp against them, especally if your just going to shovel all 3 down the exact same paths.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

or

• FreezzoFreezzo Member UncommonPosts: 235
    RIFT is a good game, high pop atm (compared to earlier) and a newly released expansion. Also it's unlimited free trial up to lv20, so go and try it! :D (and if you want a RAF link send me a message please :P )

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." - John F. Kennedy
    And for MMORPGs ever so true...

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Siveria
    I am asking advice on which I should get, I know rift is bascally a wow clone but I have never played it, for FF11 I have all expansions and add-on's up to the 3 abbysea ones. I am debating between opening my FF11 account or paying 10 bucks on steam and buying rift. Help me decide.

I would recommend trying the free trial for Rift 1-20

(also try EQ2 if you havent played since its also free and IMO the best of the themeparks)

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

Rift's expansion makes it worthwhile now I guess, it depends on how well you tolerate WoW clone-y elements. You may find going back to such an old mmo as FF11 a tad hard, if you are used to more modern features and conveniences now, personally I would try out FFXIV:ARR’s beta, it has more elements from FF11 now. I take it you have no problem with subs?

(housing isn't with RIft's base line)

• MackeskimoMackeskimo Member Posts: 50

Rift,

as a ex-FFXI player, i'd say rift is better simply because its more current, and i'm positive it gives better service. Now, as for content, i've played both and have had capped characters in both and I must say, FFXI beats it hands down in story and and such but fails to compete in gameplay. (FFXI, i've learned is very niche, but since It was my first MMO I didn't learn that until I quit and moved on)

Basically, you'd have a much easier time having a fun and inviting gaming experience with Rift then you would with FFXI, in their current state, IMO.

I am actually in the FF14 ARR alpha.

or

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Base game has housing but you dont have access to as many housing locations as the expansion. I never played ffxi but ive always heard great things about it and have been tempted to try it myself. I really enjoy rift though. Its all the things i liked about wow minus the stuff i didnt like. And the housing is a lot of fun

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

Final Fantasy XI for sure. Came back last month and found a nice linkshell that's helped me out. I got my subjob, chocobo license and airship pass already - my highest job is a 52 Warrior and I've been completely ignoring Abyssea. Level Sync lets me group up with my linkshell mates for some old time partying.

If your starting fresh and decide on XI, start on Leviathan. I can get you a pearl and help you out, two people can duo the original storylines now with the 99 cap. The new expansion is at least a few months off, plenty of time to get to endgame before then.

Rift is a good game - I've played it for two months back before the expansion launched. But tbh, it felt like another take on WoW even with it's Rift and Soul systems. But not a bad game at all.

Originally posted by Draron

Final Fantasy XI for sure. Came back last month and found a nice linkshell that's helped me out. I got my subjob, chocobo license and airship pass already - my highest job is a 52 Warrior and I've been completely ignoring Abyssea. Level Sync lets me group up with my linkshell mates for some old time partying.

If your starting fresh and decide on XI, start on Leviathan. I can get you a pearl and help you out, two people can duo the original storylines now with the 99 cap.

Actually if i remember right my char is on leviathan, got 75 thief, 75 bard, many jobs in the lv 45-55 range. Problem I'll have mostly is being lost since I have not played the game since shortly after the 3rd abby add-on came out, never even started any of the abby access quests either. I gave rift a try and it wasn't for me, I found it boring and quite hollow, which is what I think of most of the mmos released after wow, they just feel so pointless. I think I might just open my ff11, because I can't stand these wow-clones anymore. I am quite pissed how FF14 ARR is bascally becoming a wow clone as well, alot of people are bitching up on a storm on the alpha forums and lodestone about it too. Main issues really is the game is way easier than it used to be, and its bascally become mostly a solo fest like most newer mmo's have degenerated to. People are being vocal because since its an alpha there is still time to change it. Once a game hits beta status it usually (key word usually) doesn't have any major gameplay changes done to it. Thankfully it is alpha atm, and according to letters from the dev there is alot of stuff that is not in the alpha yet that will be there for beta. I won't hold my breath though, SE has already screwed up ff11, and bombed horribly on ff14. FF14's orignal release was so bad because the dev team pretty much totally ignored the playerbase, and they paid for it.

or

• nicariftnicarift Member UncommonPosts: 70

Honestly ive played both of these games and loved them for VERY different reasons. Though i cant say much(havent played for   a while) for FF11 i can tell you that it is a game that will truly capture your heart if it is along the lines of what you want to play. It has a very good story and truly enthralling storyline in my opinion.

Rift is also a very good game. But it much more streamline than ff11. It has a build alot similar to other mmos. But it does it in a new way. The soul system is fantastic! Though it takes alot of time to get the hang of. Pvp is also very well done. World events are constant and once you hit max become a VERY social thing. Dungeons and raids are also very cool.It also has some very gorgeous graphics..check out my screenshots on my profile to see some of the landscapes!

If i my though id like to toss two more options in there for you. 

TSW or the secret world is truly an amazing game. Many will argue about game mechanics...leveling system....and many other things. Yes these are all very new and very much removed from mmos...The one thing that brings this game above so many others now is the STORY. it is absolutely Dripping with lore. Storylines and everything! You visit not only Kingsmouth in the usa, but egypt, transylvania, new york, london, aaaannnd....ALOT more! Though pvp for this game at the moment truly need to be upgraded (Not that its bad...just very cookie cutter). Your character customization in both skills and in appearance are very broad and broadening regularly.

The final one i will suggest at this time is GW2. Yes yes in sure youve concidered or even played this already but hear me out.This game offer all that Rift offers (outside of souls) adds in a main story campaign and FLWOING combat. All the while your exploring a worl that truly feels like it does have restrictions. As for PVP i believe it has the greatest offered PVP currently! It has an open world pvp that allow you to constantly battle other "world" (shards/servers) over resources and heald areas. But it also offers a more tradition Hunt and kill pvp battling over flags or areas.

I always say check 'em all out and keep an open mind for all the games you play. Your experience will be that much better:)

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    A lot has changed with FFXI since I last played but I imagine it's still exponentially better than Rift.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• DisdenaDisdena Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
    I came back to FFXI earlier this year after a 7 year break. I recommend it, but only if you're into that classic slow MMO. Even with greatly increased exp and a lot more options for getting around the world quickly, it's still nowhere near as streamlined as [insert modern WoW clone here]. That's what I enjoy about it.