Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

is Perp shutting down?

cirsyndiccirsyndic Member UncommonPosts: 261
I read that 3-4 devs left the team because AC ran out of money to pay them (there were around 10 devs to begin with). Game forums are pretty dead & no information, and from a few buddies that still play (hi ville!) I heard theres anywhere from 20-60 players online at peak times. When I took a break before the Steam greenlight, I reckoned population would jump up to launch-levels and some fun might be had again. But it looks like the ship is sinking? Whats going on, is the game shutting down?

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

That would suck. They actually released a game that works.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059

I can't say I'm surprised.  I found it be a bad version of EVE.  While I'm sure the combat would be much more interesting I hated how the UI was set up.  They also overly complicated things from the get go with requiring ammo(for lack of a better term) for even the earliest mining.

And not mention the game is dead.  I tried talking to people and got silence back (or that everyone only talks in corp chats).

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    That depends on who you talk to.  They have spent a LOT of time/talent and money getting the game to its current state. Its quite a good game, if one wants something like EVE on the ground with mechs. ^^  Its obvious that the Dev's love what they are doing, but dedication and hard work don't pay ones bills.  They need a major influx of players.  But one of the problems I've always had is that they host the game in eastern Europe.   There are simply too many connection problems, for this type of game.
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    they got greenlit months ago but never released on steam.  it's too bad.  the game would be so much better with more people. 
  • KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608
    I hope not. I tried it once and I couldn't get into it. At that time I thought it was a low budget EVE clone, but I'd like it to do well enough to bring some competition to CCP. I'd suggest to everyone that don't like EVE because of the space setting to give this game a go.

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    If something has been removed, reposting it is not allowed. Please remain civil with your fellow posters. Just cleaned up the thread a bit.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• svandysvandy Member UncommonPosts: 277

I hope not as well since I just bought 3 months of game time. I like the game a lot, but I have a lot of the fears many others do - low population, tiny dev team, etc etc. For me it's a better experience than EVE because I don't have to worry about griefers as much and when a Corp recruits you there is a pretty good chance they aren't trying to scam you.

I hope they get on Steam soon and that it helps their community. I got the three months to play wait and see, but I didn't do a recurring just in case. I do know they literally only have one dev resolving tickets now, so it does stand to reason that their team is getting smaller and smaller. It's a shame really, people claim they want Sandboxes but really all they apparently wanted was a way to grief people (EVE).

Please visit my youtube channel for some H1Z1/DayZ casual roleplay videos!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrQoK5VZlwBBzpsksmXtjMQ

• CIRWarhawkCIRWarhawk Member Posts: 2

Lol 3 months of gametime.. Good luck trying to kill yourself,because your bassicly alone in there.

The game died a long time ago and wont ever be a fuctional MMO anymore.

Devs failed to try to make the game better,but it only got worse.. Theres only 40 ppl online in that game and none of those actually play the game but sit in chat.They could make it FTP,but the devs are way to greedy to let that happen or even think of that option.

Greenlighting this game would be the joke of the year!Just put the game along with your 3 months subscription in the trashbin where it belongs and play a game  where you have the option to find and make friends and have fun.

Originally posted by CIRWarhawk

Lol 3 months of gametime.. Good luck trying to kill yourself,because your bassicly alone in there.

Devs failed to try to make the game better,but it only got worse.. Theres only 40 ppl online in that game and none of those actually play the game but sit in chat.They could make it FTP,but the devs are way to greedy to let that happen or even think of that option.

Greenlighting this game would be the joke of the year!Just put the game along with your 3 months subscription in the trashbin where it belongs and play a game  where you have the option to find and make friends and have fun.

Interesting first post... I played the game for 9 months after launch.  Its a good game if one is interested in something like EVE on the ground with mechs.  Of course it doesn't have nearly as many people, but then EVE has been running for more than 7 years now...

The Dev's actually listen to their player base, which is rather nice, and different from many games these days.   The game has its issues, but thats to be expected.  I must say I was amazed at what they had managed to do, with the small staff they had. They have some seriously talented technical staff. 

Bottom line, anyone interested in that type of game should try it for themselves, and make up their own mind. 

• CIRWarhawkCIRWarhawk Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by Wraithone

I must say I was amazed at what they HAD managed to do, with the small staff they HAD. They HAVE some seriously talented technical staff. 

Bottom line, anyone interested in that type of game should try it for themselves, and make up their own mind. 

Wait wot?

Originally posted by Wraithone

I must say I was amazed at what they HAD managed to do, with the small staff they HAD. They HAVE some seriously talented technical staff. 

Wait wot?

Altering others posts is a big no no around here... You would be well advised not to make a habit of that...

At this point, how many staff they have left is known only to them. The rest is speculation and hear say. 

• vonryan123vonryan123 Member UncommonPosts: 418

The game is bombing and has been for some time. The devs are not listening nor do they seem to care.

They have revamped Indy so many times most of the big indy corps are dead and gone.

The only people left do nothing but hide on gamma or alpha and beta is nothing but people loging on to steal or take the loots from intrusions.

all that aside the game might be doing better if it had a influx of about 500+ people but that will never happen seeing as the current player base scares all the noobies off.

This is not hear say its the truth take it or leave it.

Although I do find it funny that the OP was a major factor in this games pop taking a huge poo and now posts about is the game dead?........really?

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386

Steam had to be their last ditch effort to save the game, and really had the potential to turn things around.

Ive heard the same news as the OP.  My assumption is the developers cannot bring the game into a state that would be proper for a steam launch...and some have left.  They are under NDA with valve regarding the steam launch.  We dont know if they told them to accomplish some tasks toward fixing the client and its crashes, or upgrade hardware to handle the crowd...

I do know they had been working on new bots and tech in game...not sure if thats been halted.

Bottom line is the game needs about 1000-10,000 players and it has about 200-500 with about 125-150 active at any given time.

Oh and the initial pop in number due to greenlight has faded a bit.  I know our corp swelled in numbers, doubling in size, only to see all but a few of those new players go inactive, inactive past the free trial ect.

A game like this is a hard sell in a world of instant gratification, instant pvp, instat leveling...

• cirsyndiccirsyndic Member UncommonPosts: 261

Thanks for the information, I was curious to hear whats going on from current players since I don't keep in touch that much with Perp these days. Shame to hear about Perps troubles, it was definitely one of the best indy sandboxes out there while there was a decent ~800-1000 player population. After it sunk to ~100 it got pretty grueling to warrant multiple subscriptions for very little entertainment.

Hope it works out for them with steam, Perps a game you need thousands playing to be entertaining.

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386
    Originally posted by cirsyndic

Thanks for the information, I was curious to hear whats going on from current players since I don't keep in touch that much with Perp these days. Shame to hear about Perps troubles, it was definitely one of the best indy sandboxes out there while there was a decent ~800-1000 player population. After it sunk to ~100 it got pretty grueling to warrant multiple subscriptions for very little entertainment.

Hope it works out for them with steam, Perps a game you need thousands playing to be entertaining.

Yeah the games only downfall is that it lacks players.  There was actually a new blog post.  http://blog.perpetuum-online.com/

Seems they are trying to do some big things, which doesnt make sense if most of the developers left.

The quote "We realize that to create the type of content that would allow Perpetuum to grow to the next level requires a team much larger than ours, and all of us are working very hard on making that possible." Makes me feel like they are shopping for a larger studio to buy them...which would be a great idea imo....theres got to be some larger studios that want to dabble into the EVE type game market considering its unique and its in no way as saturated as the mmorpg market.

Wish the all the best of luck though.  This steam launch is their make or break moment in lieu of a major studio absorbing them. IMO they have already taken far too long on getting it on steam and lost their initial population surge from the greenlight event...which had a lot to do with returning players.

Sad thing is that this game is in many ways far superior to EVE with a lot of its mechanics. Just lacking the all important sizable community.

Originally posted by Crunchy222

Yeah the games only downfall is that it lacks players.  There was actually a new blog post.  http://blog.perpetuum-online.com/

Seems they are trying to do some big things, which doesnt make sense if most of the developers left.

The quote "We realize that to create the type of content that would allow Perpetuum to grow to the next level requires a team much larger than ours, and all of us are working very hard on making that possible." Makes me feel like they are shopping for a larger studio to buy them...which would be a great idea imo....theres got to be some larger studios that want to dabble into the EVE type game market considering its unique and its in no way as saturated as the mmorpg market.

Wish the all the best of luck though.  This steam launch is their make or break moment in lieu of a major studio absorbing them. IMO they have already taken far too long on getting it on steam and lost their initial population surge from the greenlight event...which had a lot to do with returning players.

Sad thing is that this game is in many ways far superior to EVE with a lot of its mechanics. Just lacking the all important sizable community.

Personally for me the biggest downfall was the playing favorites with their closed beta player-friends and selective EULA application based on "are you on my skype or not". Some corps got away with murder, some corps got players banned for silly things. Whole game got tweaked around constantly to maintain status quo of in-game politics so population wouldn't dwindle.

Truth be told and credit where credit's due,  some of them acknowledged and apologized in private for some things the team was pulling off.

Now that Mancs is gone (and his in-game corporation is pretty much dead now they can't influence game tweaking anymore) I'd probably give the game another shot when the population grows up more. Had some great times in Perp!

You'll need Skype CreditFree via Skype
  • daveospicedaveospice Member UncommonPosts: 361
    I just started playing it, and just opened up three accounts and got the amazon kickstarter.  I'm loving it actually.  It's rough around the edges, but I find this game much more enjoyable than Eve Online.  I don't know why exactly, but Eve bores me and Perpetuum doesn't?  Strange.
  • GremrodGremrod Member UncommonPosts: 207
    Originally posted by muffins89
    they got greenlit months ago but never released on steam.  it's too bad.  the game would be so much better with more people. 

Just because the same is not currently on Steam doesn't mean it will not be. They are handling a few things before they release it on Steam.

I got some ICE and logged in. General Chat (Global Chat) is the only method for guesstimating the population (the official population graph was removed because it demoralized players), and it's been between 30 and 90 for the 3 days I was in-game.

Due to the nature in which AC abruptly ceased to update mmodata.net ( http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/Subs-4.png ) you could extrapolate that the current population is somewhere around 1000 to 1500 accounts.

The game itself hasn't really changed at all since I played it last. The only notable additions are the spark teleports (copypaste of clonejumps from EVE) and contracts (copypaste of contracts from EVE). Undocking is still a chore and liable to crash or lock up your PC when running multiple clients at the same time, the newbie-zone (Alpha islands) remain desolate and empty. I've seen and talked to 2 trial accounts in the newbie zone, and it turned out it was a buddy of mine making trial-accounts to mine with.

Hopefully steam will bring it a breath of fresh air and population. Unfortunately I doubt it will bring what the game really needs, a bigger developer team and a new owner.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

I really enjoyed this game, until I got into the larger mechs. They seemed underpowered and the ammunition expensive.

Suddenly it became unenjoyable - particularly when I'd had my fill of exploring the islands.

The Perpetuum world seems deliberately souless, which didn't help. For example, there are no human / quirky things to do, like pet battles / fishing etc.

It's a pity because I feel there's a much better game beneath the surface of Perpetuum trying to get out. It's lacking something (in the same way that Eve lacks something, funnily enough).

It's all very strange - I can't quite put my finger on it.

The population seems to be fluctuating between 10 and 30 actual people (most by now have taken over accounts from friends, running 6+ accounts). Finding PVP is like pulling teeth with pliers, and stuff is always patched in with little to no testing (no test server ofc). I don't know how true it is, but there's been rumors circulating that the server lease is running out in June.

Personally I'm one of those "lucky" few to have 6+ accounts I can keep subbed via the in-game currency, but I certainly wouldn't spend any real money on this game. It's simply not worth it at this point.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    Originally posted by cirsyndic

The population seems to be fluctuating between 10 and 30 actual people (most by now have taken over accounts from friends, running 6+ accounts). Finding PVP is like pulling teeth with pliers, and stuff is always patched in with little to no testing (no test server ofc). I don't know how true it is, but there's been rumors circulating that the server lease is running out in June.

Personally I'm one of those "lucky" few to have 6+ accounts I can keep subbed via the in-game currency, but I certainly wouldn't spend any real money on this game. It's simply not worth it at this point.

I'm sorry to hear that so few are playing Perpetuum. 

I think the biggest problem with Perpetuum is that they didn't keep adding new features quickly enough.

For example, it would have benefited from a first-person perspective view with faster robots. I think the 'god view' from above eliminates immersion. Even GW2 suffers from this with all its content. The re-release of Darkfall might be the final nail in the coffin.

• gibogibo Member Posts: 25

Game is still getting updates and improving,  Developers have just finished the new improved research patch today and added Prototype robots doubling the amount of Mechs already ingame. It is not a very popular MMO due to it's low budget that's why there are so few players, but they are working hard to get game on steam by the end of summer.

[mod edit]

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

It's way too easy to mess with people in this game and there are just enough who will with no hesitation.

I'm not going to rant and I stress, I always wanted this game to do well but I see the Steam B2P attempt as bringing a bucket with you for a voyage on the titanic.

It's tinfoil hat of me but as the saying goes, just because you are paranoid doesn't mean someone isn't out to get you. Someone wants this game to fail and they are in a position to make it happen. It's just too easy to get new people under your boot in this game and nothing to help them get out from under it.