Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wizardry Online: Launch Date Announced

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Sony Online Entertainment has announced that Wizardry Online will officially launch retail service on January 16, 2013. To celebrate the announcement, SOE will be hosting a special developer webcast today at 4:00 p.m. PST.

The webcast will feature the official announcement of the Wizardry Online launch date and will also be the destination for hearing details on the launch and new information on Wizardry Online. We hope that you tune in for more info, and respectively encourage you to ask your readers to do the same. Those eager to hear more about Wizardry Online can tune into the webcast on TwitchTV at 4:00 p.m. today. 

Find out more about the webcast here.

Find out more about Wizardry Online.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• LadyEupheiLadyEuphei Member UncommonPosts: 223
    So, its open beta now? So they are not going to wipe the servers any more right?

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

I'll check it out.

Even though Sir-Tech's original Wizardry games help to revolutionize computer gaming dungeon crawls, I'm keeping my expectations extremely LOW for this title.

I do however expect lots of griefing, killing other players for the heck of it, and / or getting players killed by mobs for some sick players lol's.  We'll see.

Of interest is going to be how cheats / bots / hacks are handled.  Without an entry fee or any form of monetary loss by getting an account banned, F2P games are a magnet for cheaters.  Again, we'll see.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• alloinalloin Member UncommonPosts: 135
    wawawiiwaaaa ! open the servers already !
    We are all satoshi!
  • crysentcrysent Member UncommonPosts: 841
    Originally posted by Karteli

I'll check it out.

Even though Sir-Tech's original Wizardry games help to revolutionize computer gaming dungeon crawls, I'm keeping my expectations extremely LOW for this title.

I do however expect lots of griefing, killing other players for the heck of it, and / or getting players killed by mobs for some sick players lol's.  We'll see.

Of interest is going to be how cheats / bots / hacks are handled.  Without an entry fee or any form of monetary loss by getting an account banned, F2P games are a magnet for cheaters.  Again, we'll see.

I tend to agree with your last point - games that charge nothing at all tend to draw the worst gamers, the chaters, hackers, exploiters and griefers by the dozen.  I'd rather pay for a decent game with intelligent respectful players for the most part then get into a free crap game full of an awful community..

• BlackcatZeroBlackcatZero Member UncommonPosts: 58
    They said there adding a Esc option to Cut Screens and in some you can. as for the graphics they are old school but good for the game.
  • alloinalloin Member UncommonPosts: 135
    gameplay > graphix imo
    We are all satoshi!
  • skorner64skorner64 Member Posts: 47
    It has been said on the games offical forums that the Open Beta character will be wiped prior to release, sicne they're still fixing things and testing cash shop items.
  • BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688
    They will be sending Yakuza thugs to kneecap anyone who cheats.  It's part of the hardcore theme they got going.

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

• pookirpookir Member UncommonPosts: 72
    Wizardry launch date - who cares?
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,737
    Originally posted by alloin
    gameplay > graphix imo

Unfortunately the gameplay is nothing to write home about either.....

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,359
    Ooooo, open beta .... think I'll give it a go!
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    gameplay > graphix imo

Nope they are BOTH important,this is the era of EXPECTED 3D video gaming.

The game looks so bad,i won't even try it and i grew up playing all of SirTechs games including Jagged Alliance which i also will not play that online version either.

Gameplay was an obvious choice over graphics,15+ years ago because graphics were pixels,no way anyone would accept game play that low end.Graphics now a days are very high tech,they can easily over thorw the gameplay.As a matter of fact graphics can and shoudl be a part of the game play,so no way can yo ureside one over the otehr.Example destructible surfaces,how do you pull that off without graphics?

Housing,how you pull that off w/o graphics?Mounts,ect ect you NEED graphics,tehy imo mean MORE than the game play.The only thing that distguinshes game play is over each other from game to game,it is NOT an EXCUSE for crap graphics.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• tablotablo Member UncommonPosts: 40
    Originally posted by Wizardry
    gameplay > graphix imo

The game looks so bad,i won't even try it and i grew up playing all of SirTechs games including Jagged Alliance which i also will not play that online version either.

Gameplay was an obvious choice over graphics,15+ years ago because graphics were pixels,no way anyone would accept game play that low end.Graphics now a days are very high tech,they can easily over thorw the gameplay.As a matter of fact graphics can and shoudl be a part of the game play,so no way can yo ureside one over the otehr.Example destructible surfaces,how do you pull that off without graphics?

Housing,how you pull that off w/o graphics?Mounts,ect ect you NEED graphics,tehy imo mean MORE than the game play.The only thing that distguinshes game play is over each other from game to game,it is NOT an EXCUSE for crap graphics.

I completely disagree. I couldn't care less about graphics. What is so important about them? Dwarf Fortess barely has graphics and yet it has more depth than any other game released in the past decade. I play roguelikes and all the old console games. I like new graphics too, but half the new games coming out have all this motion blur and other garbage that obstructs my view.

All those things you mention needing graphics have been done with roguelikes and other games with "bad" graphics.

• asmadeousasmadeous Member Posts: 70
    Originally posted by LadyEuphei
    So, its open beta now? So they are not going to wipe the servers any more right?

Here, I have a proper answer to this:

"Yes, they said a wipe will occur around the 13th of January, for the release on the 16th."--

http://forums.station.sony.com/wo/index.php?threads/wizardry-open-beta-is-live.719/

• nhatnhat Member UncommonPosts: 166
    Originally posted by Wizardry
    gameplay > graphix imo

You're extremely ignorant and naive to say that. People still play games like chess and cards, board games and other games that dont need good gfx. SNES games are still played, its because of the gameplay.

• nhatnhat Member UncommonPosts: 166
    Originally posted by asmadeous
    Originally posted by LadyEuphei

Here, I have a proper answer to this:

Yes, they said a wipe will occur around the 13th of January, for the release on the 16th.

Yes, theres a wipe after OBT

• CypeqCypeq Member Posts: 66

This game is ready to launch ? into the outerspace probably.

I wish realy good luck to this game and it's players if they are having fun I hope the servers won't shut down ever just don't ask me to play with you ;-)

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by crysent
    Originally posted by Karteli

I'll check it out.

I tend to agree with your last point - games that charge nothing at all tend to draw the worst gamers, the chaters, hackers, exploiters and griefers by the dozen.  I'd rather pay for a decent game with intelligent respectful players for the most part then get into a free crap game full of an awful community..

There are just as many people cheating in paid titles than there are in F2P titles. Games like COD, BF, Unreal Tournament all have been plagued with them. There's nothing stopping people from hacking in WOW, RIFT, AION, and etc. There will always be hacks present regardless of F2P, B2P, or P2P. Saying that one has more than others is a matter of opinon. However, I mainly only play F2P games now and I can tell you for fact that I hardly run into hackers and cheaters. Heck, I quit buying COD and BF games because I was fed up with cheaters. Companies will only do so much before they say screw it to stopping hackers.

Infact, I see more companies in the F2P community who are pressing charges and filing court cases against cheaters than the B2P or P2P communities are. Runescape just went through one not too long ago. So did perfect world entertainment. The only thing you get from these big subscription titles is a slap on the wrist at most.

That is the biggest load of nonsense.  Cheaters disappear fast in p2p games.  I don't know any that allow them around long.  On the other hand I see them all the time in f2p games and no one does anything about them.  Oh and COD, BF and Unreal are all b2p games.

I second the opinion that this game will be a cheaters paradise.