Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Guild Wars 2: Wintersday is Coming

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The next major event in Guild Wars 2 is Wintersday, something that many players are looking forward to checking out. We managed to catch up to ArenaNet’s Steven Waller and Anthony Ordon to talk about Wintersday. See what we found out and then leave us your thoughts in the comments!

Each city’s instance will drops plans and materials for players to craft toys themed after the capitol city.  But the good news is that you’ll be able to do every city’s instance once Tixx gets to Lion’s Arch.  If you miss Grove, come 12/20, you’ll be able to complete it.  You’ll simply choose which one you want to do from the UI. But in Lion’s Arch, all of Tixx’ tinkering will catch up with him as the Toypocalypse is upon him in his workshop.  The final instance of the event is Guild Wars 2’s Horde Mode meets Tower Defense.  You’ll face waves upon waves of runaway toys, while trying to preserve the toymaker’s workshop.  Again, it’s aimed at being difficult but doable by cooperative groups of five from level 2 to 80.

Read more of Bill Murphy's Guild Wars 2: Wintersday is Coming.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    AWSOME CANT WAIT -like a kid before christmas!!!!
  • QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Miniatuere version of Tyria looks AMAZING!
  • chbautistchbautist Member Posts: 50
    if there is one thing this game doesn't need more of, its certainly jumping puzzles....
  • Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    Originally posted by chbautist
    if there is one thing this game doesn't need more of, its certainly jumping puzzles....

I disagree, they are awesome optional fun :)

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    If they added more real content and less holiday and cosmetic fluff then I might actually be tempted to play again.

Steam: Neph

• cippalippacippalippa Member UncommonPosts: 108

winter is coming, and we are not allowed to talk about bots presence and the work of ANet about this problem on their forums, just lol

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Job-well-done-with-the-bot-problem/first/

And yes, this is guerrilla counter-information :)

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Originally posted by Nephaerius
    If they added more real content and less holiday and cosmetic fluff then I might actually be tempted to play again.

After Halloween, they pointed to the November update, for people who had that complaint :/

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Although this looks totally awesomesauce....I stangely have no desire to log in to participate.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861
    time to brush the dust off my account and get back in the game :)

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• nastyjmannastyjman Member Posts: 161
    Love it. Very excited for tomorrow. But then I have work... then I have a party to go to... then another party. So... Can't wait for Sunday! Merry Wintersday people.
  • NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    Originally posted by Vhaln

After Halloween, they pointed to the November update, for people who had that complaint :/

So they pointed to an update only providing content to those that enjoy PvE and more specifically dungeons?  A single dynamic event chain and a dungeon.....  They've done nothing to address the bugs and issues that plague the game (especially concerning WvWvW and class balance; for PvE's sake I see more broken events now than I did at launch) or the incredible lack of variety in sPvP. 

PvE'ers can eat their hearts out, but PvPers are left to starve.  Extremely disappointing considering the amazingness that was GW1 PvP.

Short list of what would bring me back: fix player culling in WvW, class balance (some classes are simply outshined by others; there's no point in using them competitively), more than 1 sPvP mode (arena, capture the flag, anything seriously).  I don't think I'm asking for too much here.  I'm not saying the game should cater solely to me, but they're leaving a whole section of their playerbase out in the cold.

Steam: Neph

• ChaulsinNLChaulsinNL Member UncommonPosts: 182
    Going to be great fun. Thanks arenanet :D
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

disregarding this comment considering endgame Fractals was just added.-teh jumping puzzles is part of GW2! its a sandbox and optional.

-thanks Anet!

• livespartanlivespartan Member Posts: 71
    Can't wait! Really curious to try out the Bell Choir mini game.
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by orbitxo

disregarding this comment considering endgame Fractals was just added.-teh jumping puzzles is part of GW2! its a sandbox and optional.

-thanks Anet!

Unless players can create their own jumping puzzles using crafted & tradeable materials (for example), it's not in any way shape or form a Sandbox.  Guild War 2's jumping puzzles are essentially scripted & pre-fabricated content... ala themepark, whether included in a special event like Wintersday or not.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• umie214umie214 Member Posts: 123
    utter garbage. hate this childish holiday fluff. i wish they would just stick to their damn manifesto and deliver a convincing, replayable open world instead of letting it rot. 
  • bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Meh, does nothing for me tbh. But it's cool (pardon the pun) for plenty of players no doubt.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    Originally posted by Karteli

-thanks Anet!

Unless players can create their own jumping puzzles using crafted & tradeable materials (for example), it's not in any way shape or form a Sandbox.  Guild War 2's jumping puzzles are essentially scripted & pre-fabricated content... ala themepark, whether included in a special event like Wintersday or not.

Where does he say it is a sandbox? It is obviously a themepark... Doesnt make it any less great a game.

So they pointed to an update only providing content to those that enjoy PvE and more specifically dungeons?  A single dynamic event chain and a dungeon.....  They've done nothing to address the bugs and issues that plague the game (especially concerning WvWvW and class balance; for PvE's sake I see more broken events now than I did at launch) or the incredible lack of variety in sPvP. 

PvE'ers can eat their hearts out, but PvPers are left to starve.  Extremely disappointing considering the amazingness that was GW1 PvP.

Short list of what would bring me back: fix player culling in WvW, class balance (some classes are simply outshined by others; there's no point in using them competitively), more than 1 sPvP mode (arena, capture the flag, anything seriously).  I don't think I'm asking for too much here.  I'm not saying the game should cater solely to me, but they're leaving a whole section of their playerbase out in the cold.

Come on, keep up with the news! Wvwvw updates will be placed during January. They have already been working on culling, as shown by the test culling they ran this week. Balancing is a constant thing, and seems to be updated once or twice a month. 

If you ever expected this game to be balanced right ag luanch, your kidding yourself. 

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by KingJiggly

-thanks Anet!

Where does he say it is a sandbox? It is obviously a themepark... Doesnt make it any less great a game.

I highlighted in red, since you didn't read the original comment regarding jumping puzzles.  Being a great game is subjective.  A great single player game? meh .. A great MMO? Not in my opinion.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

-thanks Anet!

I highlighted in red, since you didn't read the original comment.  Being a great game is subjective.  A great single player game? meh .. A great MMO? Not in my opinion.

Oops, my fault. It doesnt change what i say though about it obviously being a themepark. And yes, it is subjective. However, in my opinion, compared to many other mmos out there, it is the best. 

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    I love love LOVE that I can step away from GW2 for a couple weeks to play other offline games that I would otherwise tend to neglect when playing an MMO, and feel absolutely no pressure to log on.  And then when new monthly content rolls around, I get all excited again and have a blast for a week or 2.  It's the freedom I've always looked for in an MMO since I hung up my hardcore progression raiding boots.  
  • VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Come on, keep up with the news! Wvwvw updates will be placed during January. They have already been working on culling, as shown by the test culling they ran this week. Balancing is a constant thing, and seems to be updated once or twice a month. 

If you ever expected this game to be balanced right ag luanch, your kidding yourself. 

Exactly - sounds awfully familiar.  I know, they might actually fix all the major things that players want.  More than what can be said of most disappointing MMOs.  but it's always next month, and people will only fall for that, for so long.  Honestly, it could be a year or more, before they do enough to really make the game worth sticking with..

Some will wait for it, some will come back for it, but some won't come back, once they're gone.  More, the longer it takes.  Attachment to our characters and all that fades pretty quickly. 

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Originally posted by Homitu
    I love love LOVE that I can step away from GW2 for a couple weeks to play other offline games that I would otherwise tend to neglect when playing an MMO, and feel absolutely no pressure to log on.  And then when new monthly content rolls around, I get all excited again and have a blast for a week or 2.  It's the freedom I've always looked for in an MMO since I hung up my hardcore progression raiding boots.  

It's strange b/c it feels like most of this forums posters actually are looking for another job and mmo which will addict them to log in daily for 3 years. otherwise the game fails..

• D-IceD-Ice Member Posts: 4
    Looks like I'll have to get back into GW2 Its been a while and I like what others are saying about