Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nothing fun anymore...What about the future

hobbitpimphobbitpimp Member UncommonPosts: 17

I am a vet of mmo's. and by vet I have been playing hardcore to subs and ftp models since ultima. But now it just seems like everything is a complete let down that comes out. This is of course my own opinion. Are there others out there who feel the same way? WoW got boring after BC(although I still log in evry now and then), SWTOR just broke my damn heart, DDO is the same buggy crap it always was as well as LOTRO, EQ is outdated and just a forerunner of WoW, GW1&2 well they are what they are and I hate pvp so they mean little to me even though iI put 300 hrs in GW1, AOC just failed hard, Vanguard broke a lil piece of my heart, and Rift was just way to repetative for me and kinda lame imo.

What does the future hold for us old vets? Was the classic days of DAOC and early WoW and EQ the best we will have ever played....I guess I am asking a question there is no real answer to untill more games come out but I am just bummed. I really have nothing to play any more...

Feel free to pick me apart and spit me out like the trolls always do but if there are any who feel like I do lets have a intelligent conversation about this

I miss the massive in MMO.

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Will be good ..

1) most MMOs will be F2P .. so you can sample and try many.

2) Just this year .. PS2 came out .. fun big battle game. Marvel Heroes is coming soon (very much anticipating this .. basically Marvel Ultimate Alliance .. with more content). And TSW is gonig F2P which i will try soon.

Oh, and don't forget all the similar, but non-MMO like MWO.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by hobbitpimp

I am a vet of mmo's

Issue identified.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• teotiusteotius Member UncommonPosts: 100

Try consoles. There are alot more to choose from.

And i wouldnt consider u "hardcore" if u cant really stay in any game.

• dreamer05dreamer05 Member UncommonPosts: 679

This is a very complex issue.  Playing EQ back in the day (I'm only 25 but still a dramatic statement I like to employ), I would get up early during the summmer, stay up late, skip meals, ditch my friends, just to keep playing.  I literally broke up with a guy because I wanted to play EQ, even though he had no idea I knew how to turn on a computer.  I feel you.  The nasolgia and dedication we used to put into these games is lost.

The problem is within our community, people keep playing these piles of garbage that keep getting put out.  Gaming companies keep putting out mediocre pieces of junk because they know they will at least make a little money off of it.  I say as MMO gamers we go on strike, we hold to our standards, and refuse to play the crap they keep putting out.

"God, please help us sinful children of Ivalice.."

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Throw in the towel. Time to grab a new hobbie like model train building, flyfishing or maybe finger painting.
  • gelraengelraen Member UncommonPosts: 316

Tough to say about the future.  I also haven't seen much on the horizon which I find interesting.  Archeage, if it ever comes to the west, looks interesting for its sandbox elements, but it's very difficult to say if that will sustain it to becoming an interesting MMO.

If you haven't given GW2 a fair chance, I would say definitely play that game while you're waiting.  The PvE world is very interesting to explore and you don't need to get into PvP at all if you don't want it.  I find it very reminiscent of DAOC in a lot of ways.

Aside from that, tough call.  It will be interesting to see what Blizzard comes up with for Titan, but I'm not hopeful as they've said it to be more casual.  

Originally posted by teotius

Try consoles. There are alot more to choose from.

And i wouldnt consider u "hardcore" if u cant really stay in any game.

Yeah .. just considering MMOs is very limiting. There are tons of good PC games, console games, online games, indie games.

There are also good novels, anime, movies, tv shows ....

My problem is time management. There is never enough time for good entertainment.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    OP I know you said that VG broke your heart but with the freemium version releasing there are a lot more people. It's probably the closest thing to an updated EQ you'll find. EQ2 is another MMO that feels different than most of them from a fantasy aspect.

If you're like me you may want to meditate no shorter then one hour to scrub the past memories of VG before giving it another try :)
  • MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219
    Originally posted by Fearum
    Throw in the towel. Time to grab a new hobbie like model train building, flyfishing or maybe finger painting.

lol, option d) something else

• The Repopulation
    • Citadel of Sorcery
    • Greed Monger
    • Dust 514
    • Star Citizen
    • Elite: Dangerous
    • Pathfinder Online
    • Dark Fall 2

Interesting stuff is being made: Just a question of the end result.

• TjedTjed Member Posts: 162

I am actually very hopeful.  I'm probably being overly optimistic, but I think there is a change coming.  The push to cash in on the sucess of wow is nearing it's end.   There should be a new wave of innovation as well as a move back to some of the older elements that were lost. 

If not, well I do have lots of other hobbies, so there's that. 

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Hobbit
    If you enjoyed rvr in daoc you should enjoy planetside 2
  • wireyankeewireyankee Member Posts: 36
    It's not just games that are regressing. Look at music, movies, "society". All on the decline.
  • Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Originally posted by wireyankee
    It's not just games that are regressing. Look at music, movies, "society". All on the decline.

Oh here we go

There were crappy movies, crappy music, crappy books in the past. We just remember the classics. The bad ones have fallen to the wayside and are not remembered so it seems like that past was filled with classic entertainment and art but it had just as much bad as today.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

There isn't much left to do other than be hopeful, IMO.

Prior to those great classics like EQ, early WoW (vanilla + BC), there was still great online gaming, in the form of MUD's.  Some were great, some were not.

There was a big lull in gaming recently, because investors started latching on to companies copying WoW.  Not WoW when it was great, but the snorefest EZ mode casual game that WoW has become.  I see this shifting, and even SWTOR is trying to distance themselves from their own WoW clone by removing Expertise (ie WoW resilience) in PVP.  Granted EA operates at a snails pace (thanks to all the red tape / every employee having multiple bosses to answer to, like Office Space), and it might take them 100 years to create a true Star Wars experience, at least it's a start.

There are some hopefuls on the horizon.  ArcheAge?  .. EverQuest Next? ..  Star Citizen?

SOE's EverQuest Next is interesting because as the game was approaching finalization, it suddenly was scrapped, and SOE stated that they were going back to the drawing board to make their game "Sandbox-style".  Perhaps their game was too themepark and they were actually following the MMORPG industry playerbase to realize that yet another WoW-clone would not end well for them.

A big company like SOE to have the balls to realize this can only be a good sign.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990

... WoW ... SWTOR ... DDO ... LOTRO ... EQ ... GW1&2 ... AOC ... Vanguard ... Rift ...

As long as you and hundreds of thousands other people buy every product the US publishers throw onto the market nothing will change.

You complain that nothing is fun but you buy every single product with a marketing campaign.

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

There's Archeage and Repopulation.  Not sure when they come out though. 

• ezpz77ezpz77 Member Posts: 227
    Originally posted by Icewhite

I am a vet of mmo's

Issue identified.

This.

• wireyankeewireyankee Member Posts: 36

A couple of reasons why things were better in the past.

1. T.V. wasn't infested with reality television. It had great sitcoms.

2. MTV actually played music videos.

3.  Video games were a lot funner. Now you have high res graphics with no substance.

4. Television used to be more family friendly. Not the smut you see on T.V. today.

5. If your car broke down you could actually fix it.

6. No more arcades. Arcades were AMAZING!!!

7.  No more video stores or dropping by the local record store and buying that new C.D.

8. Music had much more variety. Rap and Pop rule the airways now. 

9. Cartoons were umteenth times better.

10. Movies are mostly remakes of the original, or some spinoff of the original.

I actually feel sorry for anyone born after 1990. America was a pretty awesome place at one time.

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

There are two very interesting MMOs that I would advice to try for any MMO vet:

TSW: amazing atmosphere, story, world and characters. Refreshing setting

Age of Wulin (also known as Age of Wushu): ambitions martial arts sandbox from China which is very different from usual asian F2P crap. The goal is not to do all quests and gather epic lootz, but to become a master in martial arts which will take alot of time.

Among future MMOs Archeage and Darkfall: Unholy Waters look the most promising for me, since they are sandbox and have meaningful PvP

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

3.  Video games were a lot funner. Now you have high res graphics with no substance.

4. Television used to be more family friendly. Not the smut you see on T.V. today.

7.  No more video stores or dropping by the local record store and buying that new C.D.

I actually feel sorry for anyone born after 1990. America was a pretty awesome place at one time.

The Bad: 

1: You had to keep adjusting the antenae to get a good picture.

2: Bad eighties hair in videos

3: It was hell trying to get the sound to work on some of those old games. You could play ultima underworld but you might not be able to hear it. Plus DOS was a pain.

4: TV Characters on many shows were one dimensional. Other than Jan, was there really any difference between Brady Kids,other than you had the oldest, middle and youngest?

5: If your car broke down you didn't have a cell phone

6: No online play (But arcades were amazing)

7: In the old days records got scratched and skipped, you had to put a nickel on you record players arm just to get it to work right.

8: Radio stations filled with pop music, never played anything good, do you really want to hear shuan cassidy  singing Do run run every hour on the hour (Okay that hasn't really changed, just insert beiber for cassidy)

9: Cartoons were just mindless violence, a series of anvils falling on heads.

10: Once you got pasted the classics, most movies were unrealistic. You could tell the lead character couldn't play guitar or surf or do martial arts. Bad guys were over the top and monsters were just giant spiders or guys in rubber suits.

• brainbowbrainbow Member Posts: 2

Two titles worth mentioning:

- The Secret World;

- EVE Online.

Both of them really worth the investment imho - far beyond everything else from some time now.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Johnie-Marz

The Bad: 

1: You had to keep adjusting the antenae to get a good picture.

2: Bad eighties hair in videos

3: It was hell trying to get the sound to work on some of those old games. You could play ultima underworld but you might not be able to hear it. Plus DOS was a pain.

4: TV Characters on many shows were one dimensional. Other than Jan, was there really any difference between Brady Kids,other than you had the oldest, middle and youngest?

5: If your car broke down you didn't have a cell phone

6: No online play (But arcades were amazing)

7: In the old days records got scratched and skipped, you had to put a nickel on you record players arm just to get it to work right.

8: Radio stations filled with pop music, never played anything good, do you really want to hear shuan cassidy  singing Do run run every hour on the hour (Okay that hasn't really changed, just insert beiber for cassidy)

9: Cartoons were just mindless violence, a series of anvils falling on heads.

10: Once you got pasted the classics, most movies were unrealistic. You could tell the lead character couldn't play guitar or surf or do martial arts. Bad guys were over the top and monsters were just giant spiders or guys in rubber suits.

The Ugly:

1:  TV stations had to work hard to create quality content, and not just rely on the shock-factor to get ratings.

2:  Music videos were works of art, along with the songs.  So were the hair styles.

3:  DOS ran games more efficiently than Windows, and required a user to be educated to know how their system worked.

4:  Family television provided moral values for the next generation.

5:  Car parts were interchangeable or even modifyable from one car to the next.  Nowadays expect to pay an exuberant price to get some abnormal size screw or bolt, .. or any minor part or consumable.

6:  Arcades were desirable by social outlets like malls because they attracted customers.  Malls are dying now because there is nothing to attract people, of any ages.  Higher prices always scared people away, but without a population, they just die. .. and then came Walmart :P

7:  Vinyl records have ticks and pops to make each record unique.  Hearing the same song on someone elses record isn't the same as hearing it on your own.  If you ever heard a song on vinyl when you were younger, hearing the same song on the same record will spark memories.

8:  Radio stations are all automated now though .. no real-time DJ's anymore.

9:  Cartoons follow a society becoming more accepting to violence yet unaccepting to sex.  It is acceptable for cartoons to say "bitch" "hell" "ass" and "shit".  The f-bomb is still off limits.  They currently allow violence to include graphic gore and very violent situations against other humans or animals.  Cartoon Network Adult Swim is pretty much garbage, and not representive of any aspect of actually being an adult.

10:  Simplistic themes rule in movies.  It's cheaper to do a remake than to design a brand new idea.  The payout is about the same, so remakes will continue to thrive.  Some movies, like Inception break the mold.  Many others, say, The Incredibles, just continue to copy other genres (in this case X-Men), while trying to be unique.

Relation to MMORPG's:  Well the past was always better, for sure.  If buying / playing a game is not a good choice for whatever reason you hold, don't buy / play it.

Our memories are strong, and the most recent years are definitely dark.  Keep speaking up and maybe we'll return to the way things USED to be.  Tell a company that it is not OK to write shallow games.  Tell a company it's not OK to try and squeeze dollars from you in order to make the game somewhat fun.  Make great games first, and worry about it's popularity later.  DON'T DO IT THE OTHER WAY AROUND. lol

/cheers

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

What are you smoking? Super hero movies on the rise .. Avenger just released 2012 and it is awesome.

And the Dark Knight .. Dark Knight Rises are great. In fact, i wish we have that many good super hero movies when i was young.

• AndistotleAndistotle Member UncommonPosts: 124

I think the problem is you not the games. I started to play MMO's for about 1 year ago, and I was completly hooked right away. I think MMO's are much more fun than singel player games. Now i wont play anything else, and i sometimes skip work, meals, friends, and life in general just to play. I think this euphoria is an effect that will fade with time. I bet I feel the same now, as you guys did when playing EQ1 back in the day. Its fair to asume that I wont be feeling this way forever. I hope I do though:)

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    Originally posted by Johnie-Marz

Oh here we go

There were crappy movies, crappy music, crappy books in the past. We just remember the classics.

I honestly think more bad things come out. Publishers used to guarantee that a book was of a certain standard, now anyone can write something and publish it on Kindle.