Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Finally giving this game a fair shot and this is why

2»

Comments

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by hehenep
    Originally posted by mrgrimrpr
    Originally posted by joeri123

[mod edit]

That said.. I just bought TSW and apperently I can't login. Can't connect to authentication servers. Can't even login to my account on the website even tough I'm 100% sure my password is correct as I just created it --.--  GG

Because they are doing maintenance lol

Yea, it literally just went down for a 3-hour maintenance period for a hotfix about 6 minutes before your post.  Apparently something was buggy about the xp bonus member perk item.

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?p=1475669#post1475669

lol ... havnt touched it for weeks and now its maintainance haha ... karma is a bitch ^^

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    Just cleaned up a derail. Please stay on topic and not let things get to personal fighting.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by Roxtarr

Originally posted by Roxtarr This is what I've been waiting for.  To me, the B2P model is much more attractive than the "freemium" conversion other games have attempted.  The fact that I can pay 30 bucks and play the game unrestricted is HUGE to me.   I played in beta and never pulled the trigger on the game simply because there were too many good options that didn't require a monthly sub.  Now TSW is on my radar again. I even went and claimed my MMORPG.com in-game tshirt!  See you in game :D
      So, After you bought the box and can play the game "unrestricted" how does that generate company positive cash flow? ie what is stoping the game shutting down in the long run. problem i see with these b2p pro arguments, is that people will play it for 2 months than shelve it because most people wont fork out for extras.
    Well, that's up to Funcom isnt' it?  Is TSW a game tha tI want to keep playing or not?  Will they release content or have items that draw my attention (and wallet) or not?  If people play it for 2 months then shelve it then it's Funcom's fault for not giving gamers something worth investing in.  People pay for DLC's all the time in non-mmo's - and people buy them because they enjoy the game and want more content.  This may or may not be true for TSW and only time will tell.

Right, If they release highly desirable content per month,per item for $10 and people pay for that, why could they not make that work for the sub model where you pay $15 for everything?(best deal for customer and company imo)

If you don't buy the "optional content" your stuck doing the same shit you were doing in 1.5 indefinably therefore making the game stale, and then shelved.

Thing is, People that like b2p/f2p models like them because they don't want to pay for anything.

That's conjecture. I like B2P/F2P models and pay for the things I WANT.  Like extra bag space. Possibly a mount. Or cosmetic items (especially if housing is involved).

The sub model doesnt work because it forces you to potentially pay for something you may never want.  For example, if TSW comes out with content once a month for 10 dollars a month.  I can figure out which monthly content *I* want to play and pay for that while saving 10 dollars on content *I* dont want to play -- which could effectively be funnelled back into the game via the Cash shop.

The best model is hybrid as it offers options to the gamers.  You want to waste your money every month because you cant manage it any other way?  Go for it.  Sub it up.  But if I'm more financially savvy give me a B2P/F2P option and let me buy ala cart what I want.  If I feel I want to buy everything then it makes sense (at that time) to sub.  But not before.

I too was in TSW beta and it was fun but not fun enough to warrant me paying 15 dollars.  As soon as it went free I loaded the client last night.  Now that its free I dont mind putting in 1-3 hours a week testing it out at my liesure.  That experience will determine if I spend more or stop playing all together.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

This is what I've been waiting for.  To me, the B2P model is much more attractive than the "freemium" conversion other games have attempted.  The fact that I can pay 30 bucks and play the game unrestricted is HUGE to me.I played in beta and never pulled the trigger on the game simply because there were too many good options that didn't require a monthly sub.  Now TSW is on my radar again.I even went and claimed my MMORPG.com in-game tshirt! See you in game :D

Almost exactly the same experience for me. I thought I'd like to play the game, I just didn't want to pay the subscription fee.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

I'm still not sure about the content being sold at DLCs.

A big advantage of GW/GW2 is that content is sold in a big pack that is generally a better value than a dozen $5-10 DLCs.

And if those DLCs aren't a good value for the money there will arise situations where a friend/guildie has content and yoon't or vice-versa.u d

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

A big advantage of GW/GW2 is that content is sold in a big pack that is generally a better value than a dozen $5-10 DLCs.

And if those DLCs aren't a good value for the money there will arise situations where a friend/guildie has content and yoon't or vice-versa.u d

This is what the developers said.

"Originally Posted by Nusquam View Post
    There is a relatively important point that I think we really failed to communicate yesterday.

DLC will have a price. Then DLCs (plural) will start to be bundled together for a price that is less than the sum of their original values. And eventually, DLCs will be rolled into the client price to keep it from depreciating.

So the scenario which people keep describing, where they leave the game for 2 years and come back and have an overwhelming amount of DLC to purchase and only 6 months worth of points to spend, will never occur."

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk

This is what I've been waiting for.  To me, the B2P model is much more attractive than the "freemium" conversion other games have attempted.  The fact that I can pay 30 bucks and play the game unrestricted is HUGE to me.

I played in beta and never pulled the trigger on the game simply because there were too many good options that didn't require a monthly sub.  Now TSW is on my radar again.

I even went and claimed my MMORPG.com in-game tshirt! 

See you in game :D

So, After you bought the box and can play the game "unrestricted" how does that generate company positive cash flow? ie what is stoping the game shutting down in the long run.

problem i see with these b2p pro arguments, is that people will play it for 2 months than shelve it because most people wont fork out for extras.

Well, there's one thing we all have to understand about MMOs.  Simply having a person play in your game adds value to it if it is a persistant online title.  It gives interaction options with your others players and a new community / guild may be formed that keep people from leaving (or at least logging in).

That said, the more people you have the higher chances you will get someone that is a big spender in the cash shop.  If not, they may tell others through word of mouth that they enjoy this game, and get their friends to join the same beforementioned guild.  The Buy to Play model is especially efficient for this as they are guaranteed to get that $29 income regardless if they quit a week from then, two months from that point, or keep on playing.  If they keep on playing, the value of the game rises (as explained previously), and if they don't, then they won't take up the space and bandwidth costs.

In the case of determining if it is plausible to go Buy to Play when you already have a Purchase, Subscription, cash shop you have to look at how well that cash shop is doing.  It is restricted only to subscribers at that point, and if it is doing well, then odds are that an increase in players will result in a net increase in those who peruse and spend on the cash shop.  This is actually something I was discussing with someone in the industry not two weeks ago when it came to deciding if a game should go this route.

In my own position, the main reason I did not give this game a chance beyond beta was because it had the Purchase price, subscription and in game cash shop.  Now that one has been eliminated, I have no reason to ignore it and will be picking up the game soon.  With the nuisance of the subscription out of the way, I feel much better about spending money on the cash shop knowing that my characters won't be held for ransom with a monthly fee whenever I only have time to play for a few hours every few weeks.

Ultimately situations like this are very lucrative initially for the developer, and they acquire a larger "niche" base of players that will continue to play it to carry them on throughout the years (which is also based on a number of factors such as maintenance).

Essentially all it does is give Funcom a desperately needed cash boost.  How many who are going to bother with this I don't know.

However I suspect some of them won't have read the offer properly and are now assuming that the game has suddenly become B2P, when it actually hasn't. The offer allows you to buy the client up to I5, after that you'll have to pay if/when they release I6 and so on.  If it had truly  gone down the B2P route they wouldn't have still be offering subscriptions. 

Expect complaint threads around January time when Funcom starts charging for the next issue, if people last that long.  There's a reason why some of you didn't bother with TSW in the first place, this offer won't change that long term.

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Searias
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

This is what the developers said.

"Originally Posted by Nusquam View Post
    There is a relatively important point that I think we really failed to communicate yesterday.

DLC will have a price. Then DLCs (plural) will start to be bundled together for a price that is less than the sum of their original values. And eventually, DLCs will be rolled into the client price to keep it from depreciating.

So the scenario which people keep describing, where they leave the game for 2 years and come back and have an overwhelming amount of DLC to purchase and only 6 months worth of points to spend, will never occur."

That is (at least in theory) more sensible.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders