Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Star Wars: The Old Republic: The Slippery Slope of SWTOR’s Cartel Market

Comments

• bigcheeseukbigcheeseuk Member UncommonPosts: 133
    They should have made companions purchasable, you start with the intial one for free. That would raise them a little cash.
  • lucasdeisslucasdeiss Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by wildtalent

I'm glad for the F2P conversion.  Had it not happened I wouldn't have given the game the second chance it deserved.  However,  I think the things that are being sold piece meal are a bit ridiculous.  Action bars?  Really?  

The addition of endgame level equipment is regrettable as well.  I think what is happening here is that while Bioware knows how to make a great game with an amazing story...even one year in...they still don't understand how to run an MMO.

That being said, the game is fun but Bioware need to take a closer look at other game's F2P model and make some changes.

YOU CAN GET 4 ACTION BARS NOW MAN, IF YOU ARE PREFERRED

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Considering the spirit of BW is dead and SWTOR is on low maintence profit mode with EA behind the wheel, they have been on a slippery sloap since the begining of F2P and continues to get worse. Expect to see more of the same mistakes and more "We are listening" to repair the damage it does.
  • DashiDMVDashiDMV Member Posts: 362
    Can you really be surprised with a company that charges you to let you use skill bars? I guess if anything good came out of all this, it showed TSW what model they should try for. Maybe that game will add a few more people.
  • erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

We already know it is a slippery slope, but honestly the real question should be how many free to play players are going to use the cartel shop.  I know I will not. Heck I logged in took a look at free to play and 5 minutes later was done.

The real question is can they make money on the cartel shop now that the free loaders have showed up.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    honestly i prey they do not make money off the shop because with the small new content update and about half of it being the cartel stupid gambling packs and outfits I honestly can say i REALLY want this game to fail misrably . When companies out there like Trion are laying off and funcom and they offer better play experiences , you would think EA would wise up but i guess you just gotta get these old school devs out of the gaming industry for it to become positive again and maybe something innovative will release.
  • itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

guess they are going down the path that GW2 is going by adding FoTM to a game that was essentially supposed to be all about open world events and wondering why it turned into a "LFG LFM fractals" lobby game in Lions Arch for weeks now.

Yeah that new space game would disrupt dungeon running completely.

• KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921

None of these issues are swtor specific, did you put the name in there just to feed the page hits of the anti mainstream crowd?

You could apply that argument to ANY mmo with items that have appearances........ It doesnt even need to be from the cash shop.

Seriously, I used to love the articles on this site but lately it has become too pre-occupied with the agenda of the anti-mainstream community.  

So please explain why this article is about 1 game when it could equally be about ANY MMO, especially MMOs with cash shops... and where is this slippery slope, STO, Champions, LOTRO, EQ2, DCU, DnD all do similar stuff, where is their slippery slope?

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    From selling action bars and now this, it seems like another desperate dollar grab to me.  I suppose this is to be expected form a game that wasn't ever intended to be F2P.  Once again, the one-way communication of this company is baffling in a genre with such a vocal consumer base.  No dialogue, no relationship.  

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    With this and the sale of Life Day items, EA are taking the general abuse of F2P to the extremes!
  • NukewrkNukewrk Member Posts: 18
    Originally posted by superniceguy

With this and the sale of Life Day items, EA are taking the general abuse of F2P to the extremes!

Oh please Mr.Bitter SWG Guy, how IS EA taking F2p to the extreme. I would like some examples of this extreme f2p. I mean we know you dont even play swtor but yet your on every single post about swtor, but enlightened us please.
    Originally posted by Kothoses

None of these issues are swtor specific, did you put the name in there just to feed the page hits of the anti mainstream crowd? You could apply that argument to ANY mmo with items that have appearances........ It doesnt even need to be from the cash shop. Seriously, I used to love the articles on this site but lately it has become too pre-occupied with the agenda of the anti-mainstream community.   So please explain why this article is about 1 game when it could equally be about ANY MMO, especially MMOs with cash shops... and where is this slippery slope, STO, Champions, LOTRO, EQ2, DCU, DnD all do similar stuff, where is their slippery slope?

Because there are a large number of posters that DO NOT play swtor but hijack every single post about swtor. Mmorpg knows this and likes to fan the flames. I know a lot of friends who have been banned while trying to correct the same posters over and over. Mmorpg does nothing to stop lies, exaggeration, quotes out of context that these people put on here. But once you call them out bam 1 day, 7 day ban for you.
  • skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

- Space missions are gear based.
    - SWTOR is selling the best space mission upgrades. (you can sill grind them)
    - Daily Space mission for max level character only which reward black hole coms which in turn give out raid level gear.

That's not "endgame" for the denial fanboy trolls?
    Well i had harder times exposing some suptidity denial arguments of my 5 year old.

Originally posted by skydiver12

- Space missions are gear based.
    - SWTOR is selling the best space mission upgrades.
    - Daily Space mission for max level character only which reward black hole coms which in turn give out raid level gear.
    That's not "endgame" for the denial fanboy trolls?
    Well i had harder times exposing some suptidity denial arguments of my 5 year old.

The best part is the same ones that are now calling space mission "end-game" last week were calling it a waste of part of the game, its not part of a mmo, its "single player". Maybe you all should get together and make up your mind. I understand you like to change facts when it seems to benefit you cause.
  • Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365
    Ea, Ea

Take a hint from cryptic and TSW, how f2p is to be done..
    Originally posted by Nukewrk

Oh please Mr.Bitter SWG Guy, how IS EA taking F2p to the extreme. I would like some examples of this extreme f2p. I mean we know you dont even play swtor but yet your on every single post about swtor, but enlightened us please.

Read the article

You do not see articles "<insert other game than SWTOR>: The slippery slop of <other games> cash shop"

So what I said has nothing to do with me or SWG, SWTORs Cartel Market being bad is just common knowledge, you obviosuly can not handle the truth

If the article was praising the Cartel Market, then you would have a point.

Read the article

You do not see articles ": The slippery slop of cash shop"

So what I said has nothing to do with me or SWG, SWTORs Cartel Market being bad is just common knowledge, you obviosuly can not handle the truth

No you said it "EA ARE (should be is) TAKING F2p to the extreme with life day items" give me an example of this. You hijacking every post about swtor has everything to do with SWG. Look at your sig...I know you cant give an example because 1. Its not true and 2. You dont play SWTOR!!
  • LonzoLonzo Member UncommonPosts: 294
    who is this guy making all these decisions in this game?? He is Mc Quaid v. 2.0 ....

Read the article

You do not see articles ": The slippery slop of cash shop"

No you said its "EA ARE (should be is) TAKING F2p to the extreme with life day items" give me an example of this. You hijacking every post about swtor has everything to do with SWG. Look at your sig...I know you cant give an example because 1. Its not true and 2. You dont play SWTOR!!

I am not hijacking the threads you are. I did not say that, you twisted what I wrote, and made it ALL about the Life Day items, which the topic is not about that and nor was my post, but if you want to know it is because you have to BUY the stuff, when it would be better to PLAY the game and EARN the items. Logging in to the game and just buying the stuff takes away the fun and rewarding gameplay (which there is none) towards getting items. What is the point in there being a game if there is no game play to get cool items? Just clicking a few links and spending money is not game play.

The main point from the article " Instead, it appears the Cartel Market is being used as a valid means to directly bypass some in-game activities and almost marginalize those who do decide to bother with them."

In STO you can at least get ZEN by playing the game. I do not have enough ZEN to buy more char slots from the market, but doing dailes on my chars I will eventually be able to get those char slots. Playing the game is more rewarding and fun that just pulling out your credit card. SWTOR does not have this kind of system in place, hopefully by me (and others) mentioning it, it will make SWTOR a game worth to play.

Do you want people to forever not play SWTOR? You seem more against SWTOR than I am, as you try and make any negativity not get posted, and then nothing can change for people, including me, to want to play SWTOR, and then game will get dead and shut down. I post because I want to play it, and I am a potential player, and would like Bioware to make the changes. If they seem like they will never make the changes then I will walk away, but this is still all new and fresh and there is hope for a better change.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    Bunch of idiots running this game.  They are more blatent than Turbine (who started off fine and slowly added P2W items).

The need to slow boil the frogs has become less and less as the market has become more accepting of/ resigned to F2P. Where they used to tip toe in and lie their way down the slippery slope (yes SOE, I am looking at you) Devs now just crash in, secure in their heads that the buying public will buy any old crap that they spin them.

Hopefully they have misjudged that though and when we look back, shaking our heads at what we allowed to happen and the lies we fell for, 2012 and 2013 will be considered the nightmarish peak years of the cash shop as we all (hopefully) become more educated and aware of what the model really means for games and gamers.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by mmoguy43
    Considering the spirit of BW is dead and SWTOR is on low maintence profit mode with EA behind the wheel, they have been on a slippery sloap since the begining of F2P and continues to get worse. Expect to see more of the same mistakes and more "We are listening" to repair the damage it does.

Indeed, it would seem that EA is intentionally making making mistakes such as this to continually test the water and see what they can get away with.  When enough people complain, they then "fix" their game and are touted as suddenly "listening to their playerbase".

Given EA's greed, what better time to make a money grab mistake than during the Christmas holiday season?  Near instant incoming money, followed a month later by a GM post stating how they now realize the error of their ways, and .... everyone will now get a free non-combat pet as proof of EA's sincerity.  Hardcore fans will eat that up :P (Everyone else will just roll their eyes.)

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• arcwestarcwest Member Posts: 61
    I can't believe how terrible the decsions being made are. I logged into the game today at noon and then again at 4pm and it was a ghost town...
  • hockey98hockey98 Member Posts: 26
    Originally posted by arcwest

I can't believe how terrible the decsions being made are. I logged into the game today at noon and then again at 4pm and it was a ghost town...

Well I cant call you a big fing lier so I won't. But its very funny you say this because I experience the complete opposite. Every planet has at least 2 instances, when I was on from noon-four I saw at least 6 calls for ops (thats a raid incase you didnt know) I joined one. I did flashpoint finder 3 times never waited more than a couple min. Ghost town lol too funny some people...
  • kyssarikyssari Member Posts: 142

A F2P Model that charges you for the most basic of features that make the game playable is taking F2P to the extreme in my opinion. SWToR is the first F2P game I have ever seen that charges you cash for basic stuff such as quickbars, overall quality of gear you can use, mission rewards (yeah some missions you can't even get a single reward from without subbing), the ability to pvp, ingame mail access, ingame bank access (# of slots is fine but full f2p get 0 slots without paying), hide head slot graphic, basic chat functions, ability to trade with other players at all, altered vendor prices,  hell swtor even sells emotes for cash rofl and they won't let you even post on their forums if you don't sub lol.

To top things off however is the fact as I mentioned before, if you don't pay you don't get any customer service at all.... I havce never seen this happen in any game to date and I've played with tons of f2p games over the years. If your f2p and you encounter a game breaking bug that makes it so you can't play, your simply screwed. Best part is you can sub and then submit a ticket but chances are it'll be a week or 2 before your game breaking bug is fixed so you can actually play again and you just lost out on all that time you paid for but couldn't play lol.

I am a returning player who was a fulltime closed beta tester for a very long time before the game finally launched and I had seriously considered subbing again but their blatant disregard for their former customers and the extreme amount of greed they have shown has turned me away pretty quick. Add to it the fact I can't even create a new character due to a game bug I can't get fixed because I'm "not worthy" of customer service at all thers obviously no point in my trying to play period let alone paying for it again.

• hockey98hockey98 Member Posts: 26
    Originally posted by kyssari

A F2P Model that charges you for the most basic of features that make the game playable is taking F2P to the extreme in my opinion. SWToR is the first F2P game I have ever seen that charges you cash for basic stuff such as quickbars, overall quality of gear you can use WRONG VANGUARD FOR EXAMPLE DOES THAT SAME THING, mission rewards (yeah some missions you can't even get a single reward from without subbing)THIS STATEMENT IS OUT OF CONTEXT ITS THE SAME ARGUEMENT ABOUT THE GEAR, the ability to pvp WRONG F2P HAVE LIMITED AMOUNTS OF WARZONES THEY CAN DO IN A WEEK, ingame mail access WRONG, ingame bank access (# of slots is fine but full f2p get 0 slots without paying WRONG!!! F2P GET 2 SLOTS, IF YOU BECOME A PREFERRED YOU GET 4 SLOTS ), hide head slot graphic, basic chat functions, ability to trade with other players at all(WRONG YOU CAN TRADE AND MAIL TO F2P PLAYERS), altered vendor prices,  hell swtor even sells emotes for cash rofl and they won't let you even post on their forums if you don't sub lol(THIS IS SO THE HATERS/TROLLS STAY ON THIS SITE).

To top things off however is the fact as I mentioned before, if you don't pay you don't get any customer service at all.... I havce never seen this happen in any game to date and I've played with tons of f2p games over the years. If your f2p and you encounter a game breaking bug that makes it so you can't play, your simply screwed. Best part is you can sub and then submit a ticket but chances are it'll be a week or 2 before your game breaking bug is fixed so you can actually play again and you just lost out on all that time you paid for but couldn't play lol. THIS ENTIRE PARAGRAPH IS A LIE

I am a returning player who was a fulltime closed beta tester for a very long time before the game finally launched and I had seriously considered subbing again but their blatant disregard for their former customers and the extreme amount of greed they have shown has turned me away pretty quick. Add to it the fact I can't even create a new character due to a game bug I can't get fixed because I'm "not worthy" of customer service at all thers obviously no point in my trying to play period let alone paying for it again.

Please read the red...and please try and play before you post again.  Thanks