Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMOs got you down ? No problem...

ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Here is a list of great games to replay or play for the first time if you are disappointed in the current crop of mmos. So when mmos get you down there are no worries, just grab of of these great rpgs, shooters or rts games and just have fun! By all means add some more great games to the thread who knows, maybe you will find something you can delve into for many hours!

1. Mass Effect Trilogy - Almost done with it and from start to finish you will not experience a greater rpg than this.

2. Dragon Age Origins and Dragon Age II - Origins is great and I have not play Dragon Age II yet so I am looking forward to that.

3. Baldur's Gate Enhanced - Loved the original and will play the enchanced version eventually.

4. Elder scrolls franchise - Play through all of them and your never go back to mmos I think! it is that addicting.

5. Fallout 3 - Another great open world game.

6. Neverwinter NIghts - I still have my diamond collection cds. I may just have to break these out again!

7. Starcraft 2 - Some good pvp rts and a great single player campaign. 

8. Both Borderlands games - Such a great time in either game.

9. Dishonored - Loved every minute of it.

10. Dark Souls or Demon Soul neither will disappoint!

Now here are some games you could be looking forward to!

1. Dark Souls 2 

2. Bioshock Infinite

3. Star Craft 2: Heart of the Swarm

4. Diablo 3 expansion

5. Dragon Age 3

Comments

• allendale5allendale5 Member Posts: 124

Great list, thank you.  Some other personal favorites of mine include:

• Two Worlds ($2.99 on ebay as of today) -- it's no Oblivion but it is pretty fun
    • Icewind Dale series  - if you liked Baldur's Gate then you may like this 
    • Gothic series -- another one I had a blast in, even Gothic 3, which took a lot of criticism.  
    • Spellforce Universe ($5.95 on ebay) -- rts/rpg, includes 5 games.  
  • ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810
    • Half life 2 - The game is an undisputed masterpiece
    • TES - Morrowind is my favorite, although skyrim is coming in a close second.
    • Deadspace - one of the scarriest games I've ever played.  Many people have never played it, and that's a shame.
    • Left4dead - I have never laughed so hard as when I played this with clannies in co-op.
    • FF7 & 8 -  Two of the best storyline based games in history.
    • Metroid serries -  have to break out the old consoles for most of these
    • Portal - if you have never played portal then I highly sugest you try it.  One of the best games ever
    • Zeda - pretty much any one of them
    These are just some of my favorites
  • HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821
    Or try DMT. You never want anything else than reality.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Originally posted by coretex666

The older I get, the less interested I am in single player games.

Not saying your list is bad.

No problem to each their own but the older I get more more interested I have become in the single player experience.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

X3:Terran Conflict

Once you start playing you don't have time for anything else, single player or MMO.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Originally posted by ragz45
    Half life 2 - The game is an undisputed masterpiece TES - Morrowind is my favorite, although skyrim is coming in a close second. Deadspace - one of the scarriest games I've ever played.  Many people have never played it, and that's a shame. Left4dead - I have never laughed so hard as when I played this with clannies in co-op. FF7 & 8 -  Two of the best storyline based games in history. Metroid serries -  have to break out the old consoles for most of these Portal - if you have never played portal then I highly sugest you try it.  One of the best games ever Zeda - pretty much any one of them These are just some of my favorites

Oh would i pay for a remake of FF7 - Hell yes...i would pay 200 euro for that game to see in modern day graphics.

Same with Zelda series
    Same with Metroid series

Thing is console's and pc's get more power, but it dint do these games justice.
    The studio's messed up after PSX..each game in the franchise became a shadow of what it once was.

Take a look at a simple race game like Gran Turismo...ive layed down more rubber inside that game then i did with 2 year online competitive racing F1.

FF series after 7 and 8 maybe even 9 became bad....

Metroid series lost her magic....it became a shooter with some wicked elements...

Zelda....oh god if i think back when i was a kid and played Zelda / Link....i can still feel that vibe tingeling my spine when i discoverd that secret entrance with a bomb and hear that epic zelda tune....

Good old days of gaming :)

I think any1 who was there old enough to appriciate that timeframe of games can say -
    I WAS THERE BRO - I WAS THERE

Damn do i hope we are just going trough a midlife gaming crisis and get back that epic feeling again.

• frillycheesesteakfrillycheesesteak Member Posts: 33

I feel the same way. Interestingly, the younger me was much less interested in social networking sites than I am now. I think there's a correlation.

Read my blog where I write about games and stuff.

• Yodi2007Yodi2007 Member Posts: 167

Id say if you want great games to play cheaply  then go for.....

1. Final Fantasy 3 (Greatest moment: The Opera Scene, actually this game has soo many that its hard to choose)

2. Final Fantasy 7 (Greatest moment: Arieth's Death)

3. Legend of Zelda 3 (Greatest moment: When the Man's son gives you the Flute in the darkworld and he's forever turned into a tree!

4. Crono Trigger (Greatest moments: the games verious endings)

5. Star Wars the Old Republic 1 & 2( Discovering your past)

6. Breath of Fire 3 ( Your choice to fight the Godess or not )

These games might be older but the have high replay value!

Below is where we can disscuss and come up with new ideas for Sandparks!

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5164689#5164689

• SkuldinSkuldin Member Posts: 79
    BF3

Thirty years of gaming experience...not sure if I should be proud of that
    www.mmoexaminer.blogspot.com

• xeniarxeniar Member UncommonPosts: 805
    Originally posted by Normandy7

Here is a list of great games to replay or play for the first time if you are disappointed in the current crop of mmos. So when mmos get you down there are no worries, just grab of of these great rpgs, shooters or rts games and just have fun! By all means add some more great games to the thread who knows, maybe you will find something you can delve into for many hours!

1. Mass Effect Trilogy - Almost done with it and from start to finish you will not experience a greater rpg than this.

2. Dragon Age Origins and Dragon Age II - Origins is great and I have not play Dragon Age II yet so I am looking forward to that.

3. Baldur's Gate Enhanced - Loved the original and will play the enchanced version eventually.

4. Elder scrolls franchise - Play through all of them and your never go back to mmos I think! it is that addicting.

6. Neverwinter NIghts - I still have my diamond collection cds. I may just have to break these out again!

1. Dark Souls 2 

2. Bioshock Infinite

4. Diablo 3 expansion

5. Dragon Age 3

you don't get it do you?

yes those games are great ive already played some of them but it's not what i am looking for atm. i want to play a proper MMO. you cannot compensate for an MMO with another genre.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

I am exactly the opposite.

The older I get the less I want to play in an online space with other people... Co-op with real friends is good still though.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011

No problem to each their own but the older I get more more interested I have become in the single player experience.

Same here.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689
    Originally posted by Yodi2007

Id say if you want great games to play cheaply  then go for.....

1. Final Fantasy 3 (Greatest moment: The Opera Scene, actually this game has soo many that its hard to choose)

2. Final Fantasy 7 (Greatest moment: Arieth's Death)

3. Legend of Zelda 3 (Greatest moment: When the Man's son gives you the Flute in the darkworld and he's forever turned into a tree!

4. Crono Trigger (Greatest moments: the games verious endings)

5. Star Wars the Old Republic 1 & 2( Discovering your past)

6. Breath of Fire 3 ( Your choice to fight the Godess or not )

These games might be older but the have high replay value!

In the future when you recommend games, perhaps you shouldn't spoil them. Just saying.

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

• Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731

Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by Normandy7 Originally posted by coretex666 The older I get, the less interested I am in single player games. Not saying your list is bad.
    Same here.

same +1
    Originally posted by silverreign

Originally posted by Sovrath

Originally posted by coretex666 The older I get, the less interested I am in single player games. Not saying your list is bad.
    Same here.
    same +1

And it's a shame.

When I tried my first mmo I thought it was going to be a mix of morrowind and Neverwiner nights. EQ was popular at the time and everything I saw said that players "entered a world". I just made the mistake of assuming that these games would be like morrowind which was "a world" but single player. Because it was in 3rd person I jumped to the neverwinter nights part. My bad.

And though my first game was lineage 2, and not what I was expecting (and though I didn't expect to stick with it for more than a week) it was still a world.

Now the games that are being released are sort of fun but I don't get the world feeling anymore. This has been talked abou to death on this site so I don't mean to veer the discussion to that point. However I have really been enjoying single player games such as Skyrim, Amnesia, the two portal games. Heck even the updated Baldur's Gate has been holding me.

Purchased Deus Ex (the new one) and X-Com and really enjoying them. More than I have in an mmo in a long time.

Last night, in lotro, I was catchign up on the Main Quest line because friends are doing the same, and for the second day in a row I was running around and asking locals if I could help with preparations. The quests had me carrying an apple basket and then carrying the "basket" back or doing other menial tasks. Then when I thought I was done the quest updated that NOW I had to run around to the rangers and see if they needed help. I logged off.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

1. Dark Souls 2 

2. Bioshock Infinite

4. Diablo 3 expansion

5. Dragon Age 3

MMOs do have me down.  I get this argument all the time.  Go back to some good consoles.  Unfortunately for me since I went to MMOs (with SWTOR) single player (simplistic) console games no longer engage me.

I loved Mass Effect (2 was the best), Fallout 3, Oblivion, and Bioshock to no end.  But after the depth I've seen in MMOs (from an RPG perspective) those games no longer compare.  To me, its almost as if games (both MMO and consoles) got easier taking away the challenge that I enjoyed in the first place. 

I'll stick with MMOs and play the mediocrity until something that suits me comes out.  I have A realm reborn and ArcheAge to look forward to.

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885

1. Dark Souls 2 

2. Bioshock Infinite

4. Diablo 3 expansion

5. Dragon Age 3

Dragon Age 2 is seriously crap lol, dont waste your money.

My list.

The Witcher 1&2.

Drakensang The River Of Time(not the mmo)- This is what Bioware have lost,real RPG old style but with great graphics.

Dragon Knight Saga - Divine Divinity series.

Gothic 2 with the expansion Night Of The Raven.

Elder Scrolls series.

Looking forward to Dark Souls 2.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Best game per buck you can get

Terraria
  • superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Mothanos

Oh would i pay for a remake of FF7 - Hell yes...i would pay 200 euro for that game to see in modern day graphics.

Here you go (I think):

http://finalfantasyviipc.com/en

http://eu.square-enix.com/en/games/final-fantasy-vii

12.99 euros, released 14th Aug 2012

PC Only Features Include:

• Achievements – 36 brand new achievements, only available as digital download on PC!
    • Cloud Saves – Continue and save your progress wherever you are. (Requires internet connection)
    • Character Booster – Stuck? Boost your stats for that extra advantage.
    • Optimized for PC – Play FINAL FANTASY VII on the latest hardware.

It says that it has been optimized to play on the latest hardware, but not sure if that means just to be able to play it on the latest hardware or they have enhanced the graphics for the latest hardware (which I am hoping is what it means. I have not yet bought it, but intend to.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419
    Originally posted by ragz45
    • Half life 2 - The game is an undisputed masterpiece
    • TES - Morrowind is my favorite, although skyrim is coming in a close second.
    • Deadspace - one of the scarriest games I've ever played.  Many people have never played it, and that's a shame.
    • Left4dead - I have never laughed so hard as when I played this with clannies in co-op.
    • FF7 & 8 -  Two of the best storyline based games in history.
    • Metroid serries -  have to break out the old consoles for most of these
    • Portal - if you have never played portal then I highly sugest you try it.  One of the best games ever
    • Zeda - pretty much any one of them
    These are just some of my favorites

For the metroid after u finish super metroid get a romhack, and test your skills. Here are 2 I reccomend, one of them pretty much redoes the entire game including totally new weapons. New backgrounds, land designs u name it. Only thing a metroid romhack cannot change is save locations, apaprently movign even 1 of these totally breaks the game to the point it insta crashes. Super metroid legacy, Ice metal and the phaon hack. are all good rom hacks for it, you'll have fun since in 2 of these the game is totally redo and such, completly new map layouts too. I even have a kinda funny mod for the snes Zelda game, where it puts alot of swearing and comedy into it. Made me laugh more than once. I would link a good site for these but not entirely sure if its against the tos to link to it.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

Originally posted by superniceguy
    Originally posted by Mothanos

Here you go (I think):

http://finalfantasyviipc.com/en

http://eu.square-enix.com/en/games/final-fantasy-vii

12.99 euros, released 14th Aug 2012

PC Only Features Include:

• Achievements – 36 brand new achievements, only available as digital download on PC!
    • Cloud Saves – Continue and save your progress wherever you are. (Requires internet connection)
    • Character Booster – Stuck? Boost your stats for that extra advantage.
    • Optimized for PC – Play FINAL FANTASY VII on the latest hardware.

It says that it has been optimized to play on the latest hardware, but not sure if that means just to be able to play it on the latest hardware or they have enhanced the graphics for the latest hardware (which I am hoping is what it means. I have not yet bought it, but intend to.

The graphics look no diffrent than the ps1 game, your better off just playing it on a ps1 emulator. epsxe is good.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

or

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Best game per buck you can get

Terraria

Terraria is great I own it myself, if you check the offical site for it, there is even a modding section of the forums. tons of gameplay to be hard in terraria, probally more than in any recent mmo tbh.

or

• frillycheesesteakfrillycheesesteak Member Posts: 33
    Terraria definitely is a lot of fun. I have good memories of that game, but stopped playing it due to personal reasons. I haven't played since they added alchemy and potions. What else is new about it? I might just find my way back to Terraria soon enough.

Read my blog where I write about games and stuff.