Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Defiance: They Got Borderlands in My MMO!

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Trion Worlds recently invited the press corps to come to San Francisco to check out Defiance, the ambitious MMO being developed in conjunction with the Syfy Network. We've got a hands on report from that event as well as a first-ever game play video. Don't miss it!

Jumping into the gameplay, we were given the chance to create characters and take some of Defiance's gameplay modes for a spin.  Character creation was relatively robust for such an early build of the game, offering the two races of Human and Irathient, four Ark Hunter "Origins," which unlock special abilities for your character from the get-go, and several cosmetic customization options.  I chose to be an Irathient, because aliens.  I then picked the Survivalist Origin, rather than the other three of Machinist, Outlaw, and Soldier, so that I could toy around with the Cloak stealth ability.

Read more of Som Pourfarzaneh's Defiance: They Got Borderlands in My MMO!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Hmmm. 

Hmmmm. I need to see what it feels like.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
      Ill give the game an honest try but Im really excited about the show...

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• drtack1drtack1 Member UncommonPosts: 273

Sweet! Looks fun to me! This is a project that has gone undermy radar, but looks fun. So this game is going to play side by side with the tv show? When does the tv show air?

It is funny because I LOVED Tabula Rasa and was so sad when it closed but now the horizions look like they have some games coming out to my taste (This and Firefall) 

I will be keeping an eye on this =)

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664
    Looks interesting
  • SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019
    I guess the cross platform will exclude the xbox? so far microsoft have been reluctant to do anything like that. Currently the games that have cross platform play are PS3/PC, I think maybe shadowrun on 360 and windows was cross platform multiplayer?

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Looks good but i'm more into The Otherlands MMO, especially me being a avid Tad fan.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by drtack1

Sweet! Looks fun to me! This is a project that has gone undermy radar, but looks fun. So this game is going to play side by side with the tv show? When does the tv show air?

It is funny because I LOVED Tabula Rasa and was so sad when it closed but now the horizions look like they have some games coming out to my taste (This and Firefall) 

Last I heard the show airs spring 2013..but Syfy is working with Trion hand in hand..and they will hold the show off if the game gets a delay ( dont quote me, im just gessing).  Very ambitious..and I miss TR too  :)..but to play TR and then pause for an hour to watch a show on the off chance that my character is mentioned in background info..too cool.

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
    Originally posted by drtack1

The first episode airs on April 15th http://www.tvrage.com/shows/id-30724

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Looks really good.
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I dont like the look of the combat so far.. but i like the idea.

I shall probally check it out..

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    So I decided to randomly watch this video while bored and have gone from 0% interest in this game to looking forward to release.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • Pythagoras2012Pythagoras2012 Member UncommonPosts: 10
  • ColdrenColdren Member UncommonPosts: 495
    Glad you cited Tabula Rasa. Other than that, this does look pretty good.
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    At least you don't have to worry about stupid friendly fire like Planetside 2, gawd what a terrible game mechanic.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Borderlands style MMO would be pretty damned awesome - especially with a Halo-esque alien feel to it.

I like the sounds of that, and respect Trion for their level of polish and quick turn around in content and patches/fixes.

Definitely on my radar.

And my #1 interest?

Xbox 360 play - I have been waiting for a MMO to play on my 360 for 7 years. FFXI just didn't cut it for me.

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

Uh, how is this anything like borderlands? God that's worse than IGN's "It's like Skyrim with guns!"

Anyways, it's a slightly modified Geo-Mod 2.5 engine, I'd expect that graphically speaking you should be fine with a Geforce 260.

Seriously though, "Borderlands MMO" is possibly the dumbest thing I've heard all week!

• BenrixBenrix Member UncommonPosts: 3
    I'm interested, but the price point needs to be low (less than $10/mo.) for me to really get in and stick with it. I played Rift for a while, but the price was a bit too much for me.
  • NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    Originally posted by Benrix
    I'm interested, but the price point needs to be low (less than $10/mo.) for me to really get in and stick with it. I played Rift for a while, but the price was a bit too much for me.

IMO there won't be a sub.  The fact that the game will be on 360 in addition to PC limits their optioins.  It probably won't go F2P since it's not an in-house Microsoft project.  So far the only F2P game on 360 is Happy Wars which MS published.  So that leaves the buy to play option.

Steam: Neph

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

Seriously, this is nothing like Borderlands.

Borderlands is what it is, because of it's black humor, sarcasm and violence, allthough I hate the fact that BL2 doesn't have as much bloodsplatter as the first one had.

• BoognisheBoognishe Member Posts: 83
    Looks pretty cool.
  • strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

I prefer strategy to twitch so a shooter holds little interest to me, but this will be a very interesting release.

Certainly looks high quality, and its potentially an untapped market.  Trion advertises significantly better than SoE so it will be the first of its type that most people hear about.  Dont see it being a hit among the MMORPG market but it could very well be the start of a new market.

• BlueLanternBlueLantern Member Posts: 96
    looks like Firefall but not cell shaded.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Nephaerius
    Originally posted by Benrix

IMO there won't be a sub.  The fact that the game will be on 360 in addition to PC limits their optioins.  It probably won't go F2P since it's not an in-house Microsoft project.  So far the only F2P game on 360 is Happy Wars which MS published.  So that leaves the buy to play option.

XBox had had a sub game for 10 years or so now.

• NibsNibs Member UncommonPosts: 287

Originally posted by SlickShoes I guess the cross platform will exclude the xbox? so far microsoft have been reluctant to do anything like that. Currently the games that have cross platform play are PS3/PC, I think maybe shadowrun on 360 and windows was cross platform multiplayer?

And I guess you didn't read the whole article:

Originally posted in the article In our preview, I was playing the 360 version, and the game felt wholly natural on a gamepad, with mostly responsive controls and shooting elements.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

"Defiance is a third-person shooter based on massively multiplayer open world gameplay, with quests, dungeons, PvP, guild and social features, huge co-op battles, and an evolving online world. Based in a sci-fi, near-future setting, the game and show follow groups of human and alien survivors working together to build and rebuild Earth."

"The game and the show are visually complementary, and share vehicles, characters, story, and settings -"

What PS2 should have been like, most mmo's for that matter.