Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Steam adds RMT cash-shop, asks 15% on every trade.

CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

"The Steam Community Market has opened in beta today, allowing Steam users to buy and sell in-game items, Valve announced.

Players can now use Steam Wallet funds in the purchase and sale of in-game items. Sale items can be listed on the Community Market page or on players' personal inventories.

All buyers are subject to a Steam Transaction Fee totaling 15 percent of the purchase. The fee is collected to protect against payment fraud and cover Market development costs. Team Fortress 2 also employs a game-specific fee to be determined by Valve.

"With over a half million trades made every week, the trading system has been very successful," said Valve software engineer Tony Paloma in a press release. "Extending game economies beyond trades and giving players a way to turn gameplay into funds for new items and games is a key component for moving that success forward.""

http://www.polygon.com/2012/12/12/3759584/steam-community-market-beta-now-live-supports-team-fortress-2

They're going to extend this to their MMO I'm sure.

Comments

• KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921
    Valve have an mmo?  How did I not know about this?
  • CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    Originally posted by Kothoses
    Valve have an mmo?  How did I not know about this?

No but you can buy MMO through Valve, and their intention is to include non-Valve games, which would include 3rd party MMO probably down the line.

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107
    Forgive me if I'm wrong, but this kind of sounds like Diablo 3's real money auction house but en masse o.0
    Originally posted by Agoden
    Forgive me if I'm wrong, but this kind of sounds like Diablo 3's real money auction house but en masse o.0

right

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

It’s an interesting idea I can see a lot of game developers (particularly self publishers and those outside of EA or Activision) taking advantage of. I see Valve taking a cut but how much of that would go back to the game developers to make this possible? It’s more money into the game industry and even back into player pockets but I want to see how this is used and by whom before really forming an opinion. Talk about a new in for gold and loot farmers...

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

Except they didn't build a game around it.

• TalinTalin Member UncommonPosts: 918
    Originally posted by BizkitNL

Except they didn't build a game around it.

Agreed. I don't have any problem with having a structured way to buy/sell items in games for real money; I do have a problem with a game built in such a way where it is almost a necessity to purchase items through the RMT in order to progress and/or be competitive.

An inevitable byproduct of the F2P movement (which isn't just restricted to MMOs).

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

MMO generally ban any trading of money, accounts or in0game items... so this wont work with most MMOs as steam would be in breaking T&Cs of that game if they allowed that..

I assume this will be mainly for their games, and any company that want to sign up to it.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Yeah reckon its for Tf2 and dota2 maybe csgo if that switches to f2p.
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Crazy_Stick

It’s an interesting idea I can see a lot of game developers (particularly self publishers and those outside of EA or Activision) taking advantage of. I see Valve taking a cut but how much of that would go back to the game developers to make this possible? It’s more money into the game industry and even back into player pockets but I want to see how this is used and by whom before really forming an opinion. Talk about a new in for gold and loot farmers...

It's crazy how fast the online gaming culture has been changed in the last few years... wasn't so long ago that RMT like this was seen as the last refuge for the lame and lazy and pretty much against what it was even to play games.

Still, cannot attack Steam for exploiting the current mindset. The damage has been done already and they would gain nothing by not tapping into this kind of trade at this point.

In all honesty though, I pity the people that work in jobs they hate to earn real money to trade for pretend pixels in a game that they will never own. Just seems a poor deal to me.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

If is makes money in a game you will see it soon near you. It does not matter about T&C they can be changed if need be. Gaming companies made a tool called a cash shop to make money. We said it did not belong in MMO's, how many MMO's now do not have a cash shop?

This RMT cash-shop will slowly come in and in a few years time every game will have it.

Originally posted by Caldrin

MMO generally ban any trading of money, accounts or in0game items... so this wont work with most MMOs as steam would be in breaking T&Cs of that game if they allowed that..

I assume this will be mainly for their games, and any company that want to sign up to it.

To be honest, MMO didn't like it because it bypassed their revenue stream. Many MMO have no issues with selling cash shop items or currency as long as it's through them. The issue was never about game integrity, the issue is that the gold traders were making money on their game and the game company didn't get a piece of the pie.

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

You could not be more wrong, this is a new thing sure and it will be a while before its potential will be realized (older games joining in)  but this is every f2p publishers wet dream.  a gaming platform were users can download the game using a external user/password management security system (no savety system development cost and no PR disasters whit hacks) were users can use forums and other media (they can drop their own forums and only need a basic website/social media maintenance cost) and users can buy all f2p items the publisher will put in the market ( at no cost for the publisher but 15% extra  cost for the buyer) coz there will undoubtedly be games were only publishers can use the market system to sell and not the general users.

Valve is quite smart at building their "little" empire of everyone can use our services at low cost. Everyone..that a lot of business and people.

• Inf666Inf666 Member UncommonPosts: 513

MMORPGs + RMT = profit

Single-/Multiplayer-Games + RMT = profit (see Diablo3)

Valve made the logical conclusion:

Everything digital + RMT = profit

Time to buy valve stocks. Oh wait.

---
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Originally posted by CalmOceans

To be honest, MMO didn't like it because it bypassed their revenue stream. Many MMO have no issues with selling cash shop items or currency as long as it's through them. The issue was never about game integrity, the issue is that the gold traders were making money on their game and the game company didn't get a piece of the pie.

I would argue that once for many involved in the industry it actually was.

Sadly though, as MMORPGs broke the mainstream the general mindset tipped into what you describe.

Originally posted by Vesavius

Sadly though, as MMORPGs broke the mainstream the general mindset tipped into what you describe.

For the developers I agree, I know at least one EQ1 developer who's reason for leaving was partly motivated by the change in business model at SoE. For the company itself though, they really couldn't care less.

For the developers I agree, I know at least one EQ1 developer who's reason for leaving was partly motivated by the change in business model at SoE. For the company itself though, they really couldn't care less.

oh yeah, agreed for sure. Once Smed smelt the cash he wanted it all, game be damned, no argument.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Crazy_Stick

It's crazy how fast the online gaming culture has been changed in the last few years... wasn't so long ago that RMT like this was seen as the last refuge for the lame and lazy and pretty much against what it was even to play games.

Then again, multiple accounts were once seen the same way.  When's the last time you saw a "multi-account cheaters rawr!" OP?

Ethics is a tricky business.  The sacred cows just get tipped one by one.

(Hmm, remind you of real society any?)

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Steam wouldn't be violating anything if they are allowing the purchase of points or whatever the in-game virtual goods currency is.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435
    the fat greasy business man are tooking all over now., this is a disaster for gamers
  • xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

This is allegedly happening on steam. Valve might want to clamp this down.

Russian criminals may be using the TF2 in-game economy as a money-laundering scheme.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/135b02/russian_criminals_may_be_using_the_tf2_ingame/

http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/today-i-discovered-that-there-are-tons-of-keys-with-doubtful-origin-injecting-into-the-market.14096/

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

Originally posted by xmenty

This is allegedly happening on steam. Valve might want to clamp this down.

Russian criminals may be using the TF2 in-game economy as a money-laundering scheme.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/135b02/russian_criminals_may_be_using_the_tf2_ingame/

http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/today-i-discovered-that-there-are-tons-of-keys-with-doubtful-origin-injecting-into-the-market.14096/

too funny

that guy should get a medal for his detective work if it's true btw

• LizardEgyptLizardEgypt Member UncommonPosts: 333
    I hope that they have no plans to utilize this RMT for Darkfall UW after greenlighting it so quickly.

Currently playing - FF14ARR
    Previous games - SWG, World of Warcraft, ShadowBane, Warhammer, Age of Conan, Darkfall, Planetside Asheron's Call, Everquest, Everquest 2, Too many.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by Vesavius Originally posted by Crazy_Stick It’s an interesting idea I can see a lot of game developers (particularly self publishers and those outside of EA or Activision) taking advantage of. I see Valve taking a cut but how much of that would go back to the game developers to make this possible? It’s more money into the game industry and even back into player pockets but I want to see how this is used and by whom before really forming an opinion. Talk about a new in for gold and loot farmers...
    Then again, multiple accounts were once seen the same way.  When's the last time you saw a "multi-account cheaters rawr!" OP?

Ethics is a tricky business.  The sacred cows just get tipped one by one.

(Hmm, remind you of real society any?)

There are activities that people find ethically wrong because the result of allowing those activities is bad for the system as a whole. Murder, rape, child abuse and armed robbery fall into this category of things. There is no upside to those activities and there's generally no debate on whether those activities are ethically wrong.

Then there are things that will have a negligible effect if allowed, but some people view those activities as unethical anyway. Playing with Ouija Boards might fall into this category. Nobody has ever ruined their own life or another person's life by playing with a Ouija Board. To a small number of people, playing with Ouija Boards is unethical.

RMAHs are one of those things that will have a negligible result. There are a small number of people (relative to all the people who know they exist) who don't like them.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Yes.

You can't stop a popular idea.

Even if you don't like the D3 RMAH, it is pretty popular, I made quite a bit of money off it .. enough to buy MOP, gear up and have leftovers.