Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PlanetSide 2: Best Microtransaction Game in SOE's History

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In a new interview at GamesIndustry International, Sony Online Entertainment's John Smedley has quite a bit to say about the success of the recently launched PlanetSide 2. He calls it the best microtransaction game in SOE's stable of MMOs. In addition, he says that Facebook games are not the kind of games that he wants to make.

"We discovered that we really weren't interested in doing that as a company, and as a result, the games just didn't come out to the quality level that we were happy with," Smedley explained. "So we decided that we didn't want to be in that space. I gotta tell you, I'm not a fan of the Facebook game. To me, they're monetization vehicles and not the kind of games I want to play or make. That's just me personally. So we'll stick to what we do best."

Read more at GamesIndustry.biz.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    It's a really good f2p model.

I never liked f2p in the past, thought it was a scam and would rather pay a sub.

But both planetside 2 and gw2 show how to do it right. (well except for the gw2 Halloween stuff)
  • MeridionMeridion Member UncommonPosts: 1,495
    as f2p Games shift away from bringinh second class quality, the payment models naturally become fairer since its no longer the "ripoff Kids" Genre...

age median in f2p Client Games for windows has increased by 4 years in the Last zwo years... which is huge
  • TheHiveLeaderTheHiveLeader Video MaestroMember RarePosts: 234

Exactly!  When you put together a good F2P model, of course it will be successful.  Planetside2 has done a great job putting together a cash store that makes sense.  It is not pay-to-win but it isn't useless either.  I finally dropped some cash last night to show my support.

SOE is stepping up their game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQlhTPh0ai4

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    I dispise most F2P methods and how constrained they are but I actually like PS2's F2P model and think it is better for having it. You get full access to everything and the game is just so fun that you WANT to spend some in the cash shop fun to enhance your enjoyment further. And for the most part the things you are going to buy aren't straight upgrades like you find in most other F2P (P2W) item shops. You could buy rocket pods for your fighter to be devastating to armored enemies but you will loose some survivability against lock on missiles without your extended afterburner. There are many trade offs to weapons you buy.
  • William12William12 Member Posts: 680
    best part about this is EQ Next will follow the same model.   Its sad that EQ and EQ 2 and Vanguard cant follow this model but so be it.
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Now that it's going good, let's see if they will still manage to phucker it up as SOE has the tendency to do. The midas touch is something they are not known for.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    I find the prices for infantry and vehicle side-grades to be excessive, even if they were abject upgrades, which they are not even remotely so.  Certs come so slowly for me, I couldn't see myself playing this game for more than a month or two before I get fed up being so far behind the curve.  What's sad is that I'm a subcriber and we are suppose to get certs at a faster rate, especially when offline, but I find that I'm only getting a single cert for every 2 hours offline.

• BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812

Let me tell you guys something scary

wait until playerstudio gets put into the game.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    What I like about the PS2 model is everything can be earned in game.  Don't want to spend real money, earn the certs and buy the fancy decal and camo options that way.   
  • HikaruShidouHikaruShidou Member UncommonPosts: 163
    This model wasn't even used by SONY first.... Tribes: Ascend was the first one with this model.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by HikaruShidou
    This model wasn't even used by SONY first.... Tribes: Ascend was the first one with this model.

i wish Tribes:Ascend was massive like PS2, man, that would have been really good.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Probally one of the only f2p games i enjoy playing.. SOE have done an awesome job.

Tho im actually paying a sub at the moment so its not free LOL :) but i think its worth the sub.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959

Funcom does it right too now with The Secret World.

Was quite the suprise yesterday.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Having seen the various threads about the swtor f2p, paying to get hotbars, paying to pvp etc.. ea really should look at planetside 2 - this is the way to do f2p, don't annoy your customers with pettyness and greed, use a fair model, you make more money and have a busier game.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

For a person who has loathed F2P and micro transactions, and has nerver spent a dollar on those types a games, I've spent about 20-25 bucks (not including alpha squad...)

The worst (best) part is that I want to spend more. 

edit- I have to say that this model would not work for me in a mmorpg though.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283
    The problem is the price. $10 to unlock a RPG, $25 to unlock all afterburners. These arent micro prices. This is the cost of an entire new game for a few upgrades. And the game doesnt have the depth for long term play.