Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: Are you currently playing any F2P MMORPG?

If so post its name and maeby some details about it or why you're playing it, thx.

Comments

• DarkagesDarkages Member UncommonPosts: 96
    Planetside 2 and Smite
  • Star Trek Online, because it's Star Trek! Honestly though it's a great game, and the devs actually seem to care.
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Yep.  Aion.  I was messing around with something and saw comments about Aion F2P.  It wasn't last time I looked, but I guess the switch was a while ago.

Downloaded it and it ran well.  Tried it on GF's machine and it was fine.  Showed it to her and she liked it.  Great female character art and lots of lowbie quests is a perfect match for her gameplay.

If she likes it, we play it.  Just the way it works around here.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Considering one, as a sideline game.

But it's a bit of a departure from 'typical mmo fare'.  And intentionally chosen for it.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419
    Originally posted by XAPGames

Yep.  Aion.  I was messing around with something and saw comments about Aion F2P.  It wasn't last time I looked, but I guess the switch was a while ago.

Downloaded it and it ran well.  Tried it on GF's machine and it was fine.  Showed it to her and she liked it.  Great female character art and lots of lowbie quests is a perfect match for her gameplay.

If she likes it, we play it.  Just the way it works around here.

Sounds like she has you whipped there boy. But back to the orignal question. I'm not really playing any mmo atm, well unless you count the ff14 alpha test, thats about it. Most so called free to play mmo's end up costing much more per month than a sub mmo in order for you to stay competive or keep up with people. This is especally true if the game has pvp, in pretty much every f2p game with pvp, its pretty much pay2win, you don't pay your going to get rolled and not have a chance. Now I do understand they need to make money, but making stuff like that so based on cash shop items just bugs me. I personally don't both with pvp thats in an arena setting, I prefer a large area and mass pvp battles, over say 4 vs 4 stuff. The game is gone now but Neosteam was pretty good pvp wise, when the 2 nations butted heads every few days. I also dislike pvp where you can easly solo another player, I much prefer it to be possible to solo another player but still be really hard to pull it off unless you are that classes weak point. In the battlegrounds in daoc I used to play a friar, and I would bait the enemy stealthers into trying to kill me, because 9 times out of 10 that stealther would end up dead at my feet. Friar was like anti-stealther. But if my friar went up vs a tank type char, I'd have a pretty hard fight to win that one. Most mmo's with pvp these days have virtually no balance at all to them.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    nope, I am only playing GW2 atm. Once it runs its course, I might fire up a F2P game until the expansion

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

Mortal online

Anarchy online

• ElminzterElminzter Member UncommonPosts: 283

being spoilt for choice these days, since there are so many mmorpgs competing amongst themselves for the players attention, yea f2p is the norm

just de 2c

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    Uncharted Waters Online, because it's a great game, and very different from anything else on the market--so it's not just a clone of some other game I'm already sick of.
  • st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768

smite and some aion.  

aion cuz its a solid game and truely f2p

and smite cuz friend send me a beta, im not usually into these type of games but i love it.  lots of fun

• rommellorommello Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 185
    not playing anything at all...sad...

hallo ~_~

• Trudge34Trudge34 Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Nothing free. Subbed to EQ2, playing GW2 with the gf and just got TSW.

Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
    Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
    Currently Playing: GW2

Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger

• revenoffrevenoff Member Posts: 43
    darkfall went free to play but servers went down...
  • jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Planetside2 / League of Legends for me.

GW2, SWTOR (i'm on the sub option) as well.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

PS2 mostly. But also dabblein STO & DDO.

Will definitely play Marvel Heroes when it is out.

And oh .. forget to try TSW last night, but will do soon.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Yeah ps2
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Star Trek Online. Having some fun now and again with this one. Don't feel the need to log in everyday by any means.

Ryzom. Giving this a try and enjoying the little I've played thus far.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Star Trek Online. Having some fun now and again with this one. Don't feel the need to log in everyday by any means.

Ryzom. Giving this a try and enjoying the little I've played thus far.

That is the point of F2P games (or no sub games). There is no pressure. Play this game some today .. play another tomorrow. It is about having fun. Play whever float your boat this moment.

• NonderyonNonderyon Member UncommonPosts: 189

C9, WoT at the moment.

But waiting the "big" names comes out :) (Firefall, Archage, Blade&Soul...etc.)

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Just Aion at the moment.  Planetside 2 turned me off for the time being, until SOE can get a grip on the rampant cheats, illegal mods, hacks, and botting going on.  I haven't logged onto Fallen Earth for awhile, but I've been meaning to try it out again.

Aion (NCSoft) just did their F2P cashshop so well.  The entire game is free (all content, all raids, all character slots, everything - no limitations).  The cashshop is cosmetic stuff or leveling boosts, nothing that gives an edge via P2W, and nothing that allows players to skip content outright.  I would have thought other companies would have noticed, but freemium games with cruddy "F2P" models keep cropping up, and also crapping up the MMORPG gaming world :/

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

Originally posted by Nonderyon

C9, WoT at the moment.

yeah .. firefall looks decent too. Do you know if they have good viable snipers? I probably will try FF too.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Yes, Planetside 2 and DDO
  • NonderyonNonderyon Member UncommonPosts: 189
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

C9, WoT at the moment.

yeah .. firefall looks decent too. Do you know if they have good viable snipers? I probably will try FF too.

Yes, i playd sniper ("recon" at tier 1 and went to "nighthawk" way at tier 2 ) class in FF, but i  can tell, everyone find what kind of sniper want to be (there is a class tree, unlocking sniper classes with different abilities)

Originally posted by nariusseldon

C9, WoT at the moment.

Yes, i playd sniper ("recon" at tier 1 and went to "nighthawk" way at tier 2 ) class in FF, but i  can tell, everyone find what kind of sniper want to be (there is a class tree, unlocking sniper classes with different abilities)

Thank you for the info.